Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

12 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

The only veteran QB I would want is Matthew Stafford.  Otherwise I'd prefer to roll with Allen + Smith next year and target someone like Kyle Trask or Jamie Newman in the 3rd/4th round.

Mostly agree about Stafford (though it would depend on the compensation required).

I'm really not interested in Trask for the most part but I suppose if they got him in the 4th I wouldn't be too upset. Since I've started watching Trask I've not been overly impressed in general and he completely bombed vs Oklahoma without Pitts, Tomey, and Grimes.

Personally I think his ceiling in the NFL is a JAG backup.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Would love to trade him but are their any takers out there?

You gotta think someone would take a talented SS especially when they don't need to pay his signing bonus $, right?

We may not get a hefty return, but the priority really is cap space anyway so that wouldn't bother me.

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

You gotta think someone would take a talented SS especially when they don't need to pay his signing bonus $, right?

We may not get a hefty return, but the priority really is cap space anyway so that wouldn't bother me.

I dunno. Collins is being paid as a top 5 safety...which he isn't. Even if they don't have to deal with his signing bonus most teams aren't going to look to part with a draft pick as well as pick up a $12+ million per year salary.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sunday player for sure.  

Mond looks like a guy that can run our offense.  I wonder if he’ll be hanging around in the 4th round...

I'm a UNC fan and for as good as Howells numbers have been, our WRs have dropped so many perfectly thrown balls the last 2 years he has missed out on about 300 yards and 3-5 touchdowns both years lol. He throws one of the best deep balls I've ever seen at the college level. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sunday player for sure.  

Mond looks like a guy that can run our offense.  I wonder if he’ll be hanging around in the 4th round...

Mond is a maybe 3rd-4th round type for me.  I'd take Newman and Ridder over him in that range.    My issue with him is he's so up and down.   He can look great one game and atrocious in another.    Overall his completion rate has been mediocre to less than that in his college career -- which is often a red flag.   But when he flashes, he's a fun watch.  Decent arm.  Not fast but has some sneaky mobility.  

2 hours ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

I'm a UNC fan and for as good as Howells numbers have been, our WRs have dropped so many perfectly thrown balls the last 2 years he has missed out on about 300 yards and 3-5 touchdowns both years lol. He throws one of the best deep balls I've ever seen at the college level. 

Fron what I've seen, I like Howell.  I can see him in the upper half of the first round in 2022, probably top 5.   Strong arm, navigates the pocket well. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Darnold is damaged goods. No team that wants/needs a QB right now will take him. He needs to be a reclamation project on a quality team that can build him back up like the Steelers or something.

Agree 100%! 

Darnold’s confidence could be shot, and he is shell shocked like David Carr or Matt Leinart.

• Like 1

There's a lot to agree with here but we'll see.  I could see 49rs making a hard push for him.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/could-sam-darnold-be-ideal-qb-take-over-washington-2021-and-beyond

Due to the Washington Football Team's defense recently making the transition from "pretty good" to "finely grating opposing offenses like a nice cheese on a weekly basis," the discussion about what the franchise should do at quarterback this offseason is changing.

Back when the Burgundy and Gold were floundering — which was really only a month or so ago — it appeared that the organization's best course toward relevancy would be to draft a top prospect under center with their presumably high selection. 

However, Ron Rivera's club is now 6-7 thanks largely to Jack Del Rio's side of the ball, so their choice in April has slid down the board and will continue to if they keep winning. 

Plus, there's a chance this unit is one of the league's elite for the next few seasons, meaning it might be best for Washington to either keep Alex Smith or find someone else similarly established at the position in order not to waste a playoff-caliber and potentially championship-caliber defense. 

That's how Peter Rosenberg, a very well-known New York radio personality and devoted Football Team fan, is feeling. He's fine with them spending their 2021 first-round capital on someone else other than a passer, a realization he just recently came to. 

As for whom Rosenberg wants running the show, he's identified an outside player who's more experienced than any rookie would be but could also act as a long-term answer at QB: Sam Darnold.

"I understand he’s not going to be a popular pick," Rosenberg told the Washington Football Talk podcast in an interview that'll be released this week.

Yet that didn't stop him from making a compelling argument for the 23-year-old.

"I believe in Sam Darnold," he said. "You’ll get him for almost nothing, he is not going to be a high commodity anymore and I believe he’s an untapped, really solid player."

Darnold's stats would leave one to believe otherwise, but like so much in the NFL, the context behind those numbers matter. And here's the context that matters for Darnold: The Jets are REALLY DAMN BAD.

"This is going to be the worst non-expansion team in the history of football," Rosenberg said. "If he turns out that he’s a good player… he could be your future still. A guy with low mileage that if he turns out to be good, you’re basically starting fresh with a real head coach."

As he explained on the podcast, Rosenberg has done radio hits for the past two years with Darnold, and the host has grown to admire the pro's leadership and maturity. Rosenberg even admitted that he's tried to get Darnold to slam Adam Gase on numerous occasions — and the USC product just won't do it. 

Clearly, Darnold won't be the only option for Washington if they opt to try and pair a veteran with their ascending defense. Guys like Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan, Jameis Winston and others have their strengths, too.

The Jet, though, wouldn't cost as much as that crop of signal callers, and perhaps Rivera could find a way to bring in Darnold along with Alex Smith, so the former could learn from the latter.

Now, there'll be much more time for discussions such as this one after season concludes, but it is interesting that Washington currently looks like a squad that may be more drawn to the plug-and-play route as opposed to the draft-and-develop path. 

Darnold would surely require further developing, but he also wouldn't be starting on the ground floor. The issue, as Rosenberg summed up perfectly, is figuring out precisely which floor in that building he resides in.

"The question to me is," Rosenberg said, "is he any good and is he a victim of the worst franchise ever put together?"

Edited by HigSkin

Just say no to Cam

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

"The question to me is," Rosenberg said, "is he any good and is he a victim of the worst franchise ever put together?"

My take is the Jets didn't make him a walking turnover.  He had those issues in college and he hasn't overcome them.  He's a big name.  There is some sexiness to it.  But if we recall   Rosen felt sexy too when he was on the trade market.   He also was a big name.  I was a fat no on Rosen too once I dived into his play.  

• Like 2

I know this is a boring take, but for the first time since Gibbs 2 I trust these coaches and scouts to get this call right regardless if we draft a young QB, trade for an aging great, or for the Jet's latest failed first round QB. This season hasn't been perfect, but it's delivered beyond my wildest expectations - I'm with Ron until he proves me a fool.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Sunday player for sure.  

Maybe...would be nice...I liked just about everything I saw from him last night...definitely worth a 4th 

18 minutes ago, Recovering_Spaz said:

I know this is a boring take, but for the first time since Gibbs 2 I trust these coaches and scouts to get this call right regardless if we draft a young QB, trade for an aging great, or for the Jet's latest failed first round QB. This season hasn't been perfect, but it's delivered beyond my wildest expectations - I'm with Ron until he proves me a fool.

Yeah I certainly have more faith in this staff than most of the previous ones.

That said, while I will always love Joe Gibbs, he did move up to take Campbell in the 1st. So it's not like he's infallible. 

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I certainly have more faith in this staff than most of the previous ones.

That said, while I will always love Joe Gibbs, he did move up to take Campbell in the 1st. So it's not like he's infallible. 

True, but Gibbs 2 brought us back to good. Great would have been better, but after all this cellar-dwelling I'll settle for being in the divisional mix for a few years. Once a foundation is built I'll expect more, but for now Ron's been a breath of fresh air that's bought my blind loyalty - I get your point though, I don't want another Campbell either.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

Me being a Uva fan, and watching him in the ACC you're 100% correct on his deep passes. He' probably the best I've seen at it and I think hes going to be a great NFL QB.