Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

33 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Texans said they do not want Watson in their conference. We have a good shot. 2 #1s and Payne. Take it or leave it. Texans want good young cheap players and they proved they will let real good guys leave.

Agreed.  That should be our max offer.  Although I might prefer to include Allen instead of Payne.  Either way that’s still a monstrous offer as Payne or Allen are worth a 1st.  I’m still hoping it gets so ugly and the price drops like it did for us with Trent.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m kind of curious on the idea of Carr if he were made available at a reasonable cost. Outside of Watson, he’s the only one I am remotely enthusiastic about. That said, isn’t Carr less mobile than Alex Smith, almost? So where’s the logic there....

I also think that outside of a Watson trade, we really should be looking at Lance in the draft to sit and learn behind out get #1.

I don’t quite believe the Fields talk, yet.

4.69 speed for Carr which is above average for a QB.   I wouldn't call him mobile but certainly nothing like modern day Alex Smith. 

https://www.raidersbeat.com/derek-carr-focused-on-his-own-mobility-to-improve-most-complicated-offense-in-football/

So far, Carr hasn’t necessarily run more, but he has shown improved mobility and footwork in the pocket – and it’s something that excited the Raiders coaching staff right out of the gate in the season opener.

Certainly Carr has shown even before this year that he has the athleticism to make plays with his feet. The throw below, which came in the 2016 season opener, is exactly the kind of play Gruden would like to see happen more with Carr – ideally without the questionable pass protection.

44 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Idk man, the same crew that fixed Tannehill in that system couldn’t fix what the previous staff had done to Mariota, but Turner and crew are supposed to? Marriota should have been a perfect fit for what Tannehill is doing in that offense and was an even better prospect coming out. I’m skeptical he can be salvaged. 

I don't think the book on Mariota is finished. I do find it hard to believe that Mariota will be able to have a turnaround on the scale that Tannehill had, but I think his abilities fit with what they want. I really wouldn't mind having a guy like him as long as there's a 3-way competition for the starting position next year between Allen, Heinicke, and Mariota. 

Tannehill also had Gase and a huge lack of talent in Miami. When you think about it, his turnaround really isn't that miraculous. He has always put up solid numbers. Mariota has more working against him but he's worth a gamble if we start running out of options. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If you compare it via the sample size Heinicke's injury history is much more alarming than Mariota.  But more on point, Mariota is 6 '4 and 222 pounds.  Heinicke by his own admission is below 6 foot so am guessing 5 '11, 195 pounds?

No long term injury concerns i see.  But again I am not dying on a hill for Mariota.  We are just unlikely going to have a slew of studs to choose from at QB.  So if you have to look through the more realistic pile, he'd be one i'd consider

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/marcus-mariota/7204

Marcus Mariota Injury History

Date League Injury Details
Dec 22, 2018 NFL Cervical Neck Stinger Mariota missed the season finale.
Nov 18, 2018 NFL Cervical Neck Stinger Mariota missed 1 half of play but returned the following week vs. Houston.
Sep 9, 2018 NFL Arm Elbow Sprain Mariota missed 1 game with a pinched nerve.
Oct 1, 2017 NFL Thigh Hamstring Sprain/Pull Unspecified Grade 1 Mariota missed only 1 game.
Dec 24, 2016 NFL Leg Fibula Fracture In Week 16, Mariota suffered a broken fibula against the Jags.
Dec 20, 2015 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Mariota sprained his right MCL and missed the final two games.
Oct 18, 2015 NFL Knee MCL Sprain Grade 2 Mariota was rolled up on in Week 6 against the Dolphins and sprained his MCL. He missed the next two games.
Jan 12, 2015 Non-NFL Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain Mariota sprained his right shoulder in the National Championship game.

I think what's not being indicated here, is that his play fell off a cliff after each of these injuries.  I remember in 2018 they had to drop like half the playbook because Mariota couldn't make all the throws anymore.  He played hurt, which is admirable, but he doesn't look like he's got it anymore.  His current potential isn't close to what his potential was during his first 2 seasons.

So we bring him in, he looks..."ok" for a bit but then he gets hurt, and becomes ineffective.

We'd have a team full of QB injury risks.

Mariota - Check

Allen - Check (pretty serious injury he had, that's a worry)

Smith - Triple check

Heinicke - Check

That isn't a competitive situation, and I'd put money down that we'd have at least 2 QB's start a game in 2021 for us.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Article says 2 firsts for Carr. Patriots, Bears, Colts, WFT interested. 

wow. ThTs too rich. But more power to em. As long as he goes somewhere to fill a QB hole not named WFT. If they move on Watson maybe we can pry Mariota loose. 

giphy.gif

Edited by mistertim
  • Haha 1

I was joking about the trade capital in my post above but lol then I read the article.  Wow.  No joke.  Two first rounders, its nuts.  Its funny that the Raiders want that much but I bet even with all the Qb needy teams out there no one offers them that.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/will-raiders-move-derek-carr-to-acquire-deshaun-watson-2271863/

For that to happen, the Raiders would have to receive two first-round picks for Carr, which they would then package with their own first-rounders in 2021 and 2022 to present a compelling offer of four first-round picks to the Texans for Watson, who has reportedly asked be traded.

“The only way you trade a quarterback the caliber of Carr is by having a replacement plan in place that ensures improvement,” an industry insider said.

4 minutes ago, dyst said:

FFFFFFFFF No to giving 2 firsts for Carr. 

Raiders trying to cash in while the iron is hot. They saw the value of QB's sky rocket because of the ****ing Rams.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/raiders/will-raiders-move-derek-carr-to-acquire-deshaun-watson-2271863/

For that to happen, the Raiders would have to receive two first-round picks for Carr, which they would then package with their own first-rounders in 2021 and 2022 to present a compelling offer of four first-round picks to the Texans for Watson, who has reportedly asked be traded.

“The only way you trade a quarterback the caliber of Carr is by having a replacement plan in place that ensures improvement,” an industry insider said.

Hilarious 

Edited by heyholetsgogrant

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think I've spent enough time researching Carr to be sold enough.  Two firsts and a third and Montez Sweat?  @Koolblue13 I know you are in but who else?

I'd trade a second, not a 1rst and Sweat. Back that truck way up. I'm not on the QB ledge like y'all. 

I'm hanging tough with KDawg drafting Bushimi or Burline or whatever. 

a first for David ****ing Carr? Holy **** no. 

7 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Gotta love the misinformation.

Jesus take the wheel

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Raiders trying to cash in while the iron is hot. They saw the Stafford deal and the value of QB's sky rocket because of the asshole Rams.

Yeah I guess they have nothing to lose by asking for it.  But Stafford >> Carr.  I guess Carr is younger but otherwise Stafford IMO is a peg above.    Still I'd be surprised if anyone offers them that. 

1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

I'd be so pissed if we traded away montez sweat!!!..even if it was for watson I'd be so pissed

We're not trading any of our Dline players. Don't worry. That's just dumb **** madden fantasy players think. Seriously, these people watch adult wrestling. You can't listen to all of them.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd trade a second, not a 1rst and Sweat. Back that truck way up. I'm not on the QB ledge like y'all. 

I'm hanging tough with KDawg drafting Bushimi or Burline or whatever. 

a first for David ****ing Carr? Holy **** no. 

Jesus take the wheel

Agree that's way too steep.  Maybe we cool our jets and go a 2nd rounder and Ionnaidis for Colt McCoy?   Colt looked good against Seattle. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Raiders trying to cash in while the iron is hot. They saw the Stafford deal and the value of QB's sky rocket because of the asshole Rams.

No doubt the market is inflated now due to the Stafford trade. I’d be more inclined to just take two stabs at QB in 2021 and 2022 than give them up for Carr tier of QBs.