Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

54 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Last I heard Dallas was projected to have about $47 mil in cap space in 2021 and that's not including Dak... If they were to sign him, thats about all they can do without cutting elsewhere. 

I would imagine they are going to restructure Lawrence and Cooper based on the structure of their existing deals. That’ll create another 20mil without much trouble.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

What? There is no way they draft a QB if they sign Dak, that makes zero sense. Its almost a lock they'll draft defense anyway, that D is one of the worst I've ever seen.

I think tagging Dak and picking a QB if they are picking top 5 makes a lot of sense. Rookie QB on a 4 year 30mil deal with a 5th year option. Unless they want to remain one play away from Andy Dalton I suppose.

They’ll also need a new OL and RB in 2 years.

If the Bengals do them this week they may well end up picking #3 that’ll mean Sewell is more likely than D.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

What? There is no way they draft a QB if they sign Dak, that makes zero sense. Its almost a lock they'll draft defense anyway, that D is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Mike Nolan needs to stay...he's a genius...hear that Jerruh! GENIUS!!

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Defeat this weekend likely leads to a top 7-11 pick

Win this weekend, what, it’s looking like the 12-19 range excluding playoff results.

What’s the odds we have Smith,Allen,Haskins as our QB 1,2,3 in 2021....:kickcan:

I think it really depends on how the draft shakes out. If we are in a spot for Lance or Wilson, then they will leap on them. I really like Lance, flaws and all. As much fun as the win was on Monday, I wonder how much it's going to set us back long-term. We are better than I thought we were, but we're still not good, I wouldn't even say we're mediocre.

If they lose to the 9ers and Seahawks, it'll be interesting to see the panic monkeys pendulum swing back the other way.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I think it really depends on how the draft shakes out. If we are in a spot for Lance or Wilson, then they will leap on them. I really like Lance, flaws and all.

Agree on Lance. I think he might nail the combine and overall pre draft process too.

19 hours ago, thelongestbreath said:

This is the wildcard for me.  I think I'm starting to come around (maybe it's the "euphoria") to potentially running with Alex, Kyle, and Dwayne for another year.  Give the kid a chance to go through a full year with the new system, a full offseason, see what you have.  Worst case scenario, you wont be losing any further value (assuming you think he's worth a 6/7th atm) but best case scenario you hope he's learned what it takes to be an NFL QB.

I feel for the guy, he was brought into a situation where a) Anyone that studied his film saw he had raw talent but it needed to be developed.  b) Brought into a situation where in his first season only the owner really wanted him, let alone the first round.  Then was relegated to the bench and barely saw snaps.  c) He lost that system/coach and then gained new ones for 2020 only to have a global pandemic end any OTAs or Preseason.

I may be in the minority but I'm not ready to give up on Dwayne, I honestly believe Ron benched Dwayne for his benefit and sat him to watch Alex both on the field and in the film room.  He's for all intents and purposes basically a rookie still.  I don't count last year with him as a season, Jay did everything he could to not work with him.

**However to not derail the thread**

I don't think the WFT should add a qb and imho It makes a ton of sense, we are starting to see this team come together.  We are again seeing Alex Smith has it in him to win games.  They may not be shootout victories like you would see from the Chiefs, but he does enough along with this great defense to put Ws on the board.  Shore up the line, get a legitimate MLB with speed, add depth to your WR, DB, and TE units in the draft and FA(paying your own and adding what pieces you need) and lets see what happens.

However, I wont be mad if the qb they want is there when they pick.  I will be upset if we give up a fortune like we did for the RG3 trade when we have a perfectly serviceable qb that is currently winning games.

I understand where you're coming from, but come on. This is borderline magical thinking.

Haskins looked awful when he played, and that apparently wasn't even the biggest issue with him. Smith and Allen both looked better in game and also have maturity and work ethic during the week. He could potentially do a 180, but I think that given what we know, it's far more likely that he's just a bust. I had decent hopes for him after looking better in his last 2-3 games last season and hearing about how hard he was working in the offseason, but it seems like that was all smoke and mirrors.

As far as Alex Smith, nobody doubts his courage and how amazing it is for him to come back like he has. And he's played well, especially for a guy coming back from such a gruesome injury. But I don't think we should kid ourselves into thinking that he's the answer at QB. He's a good game manager but he's not really anything beyond an average QB, and he's going to be 37 years old next season.

I think he gives us a chance to win as much as almost any average QB would give us a chance to win. But IMO if we have a shot at a top QB in the draft, we should take it. If we roll with Smith for the next couple of seasons I have a really hard time seeing us getting to any better than 8-8 or 9-7. Even if we get big time offensive playmakers we don't have the guy to reliably get the ball into their hands IMO. So we'll end up where we've been for 20 years at our best...a mediocre team that might have an off-chance at sneaking into the playoffs but won't really ever go far.

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think he gives us a chance to win as much as almost any average QB would give us a chance to win. But IMO if we have a shot at a top QB in the draft, we should take it. If we roll with Smith for the next couple of seasons I have a really hard time seeing us getting to any better than 8-8 or 9-7. Even if we get big time offensive playmakers we don't have the guy to reliably get the ball into their hands IMO. So we'll end up where we've been for 20 years at our best...a mediocre team that might have an off-chance at sneaking into the playoffs but won't really ever go far.

Yeah for me I enjoyed the peak Dan tenure stuff which is that 9-7, 10-6 season at the time.  I guess sadly our peak years were 2015-2017 where we made the playoffs once and threatened to make it twice.  We were a tough out and competitive but it somewhat stopped at that.    I want better than that.   Its crazy that we are the only team in the NFL without an 11 win season in the last 20 years or so and if I recall one of only 3-4 teams not to reach a championship game in that time either.

As fans we deserve better than modest success. 

If we get into the middle first range (12-19) via improved play or playoffs, I think the move is to go for long term planning. Keep Alex, let him start in 2021, draft BPA at 1 (within reason - still think OL, LB, WR, CB, S) and then go for a QB that’s more of a project at 2-3. Let him sit and learn behind Alex for the year. 

Alternatively, if the team loves Lance or Wilson and wants to trade up for him, I’m okay with that as well. 

On 12/9/2020 at 11:51 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah for me I enjoyed the peak Dan tenure stuff which is that 9-7, 10-6 season at the time.  I guess sadly our peak years were 2015-2017 where we made the playoffs once and threatened to make it twice.  We were a tough out and competitive but it somewhat stopped at that.    I want better than that.   Its crazy that we are the only team in the NFL without an 11 win season in the last 20 years or so and if I recall one of only 3-4 teams not to reach a championship game in that time either.

As fans we deserve better than modest success. 

Last 11+ win season was 1991. We will have gone 30 years never having won more than 10 games. Let that sink in. 

I think the Team is going to go at least 8-8 and will be drafting 16th or worse.  The top 4 QBs will probably be gone by pick #10.  I'm cool with them trading up to get the QB they want, but I'd prefer BPA because they have done a very good job in the draft.  The more draft picks the merrier.

• zCommander changed the title to 2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

BTW anyone have info on  S, Aashari Crosswell from Arizona?? There's no highlights and little scouting reports on him but he's highly thoughted and he's like 10 lbs heavier than Ford  outta Pitt and improved his coverage skils rating by almost 35% from 56-79 from when he arrived there..

These highlights here do nothing for me.. But this is all I can find..

We've had some dark days (decades) around here, but imagine how it must feel to be a Jets fan today?  What a kick in the nuts that was. 

Gase still has a job and you piss away Trevor Lawrence in a meaningless week 15 win.  The only thing that could be worse is if the Jags win another game and the Jets beat the Pats in week 17 to lose him a second time.

3 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

We've had some dark days (decades) around here, but imagine how it must feel to be a Jets fan today?  What a kick in the nuts that was. 

Gase still has a job and you piss away Trevor Lawrence in a meaningless week 15 win.  The only thing that could be worse is if the Jags win another game and the Jets beat the Pats in week 17 to lose him a second time.

For the shortsighted "gotta win every game fans," imagine if we had beat the Giants last year and ended up with Okudah instead of Young...

1 hour ago, method man said:

For the shortsighted "gotta win every game fans," imagine if we had beat the Giants last year and ended up with Okudah instead of Young...

For the life of me I cannot understand how organizations would allow that to happen.  If I'm running that team I'm putting good players on the shelf and making it clear to the coaching staff of they dont start treating it like a preseason game they will be immediately replaced by someone who will follow orders.

I dont care how it looks or who complains.  There's no way I'm finishing this season with the number 1 pick.

Archived