Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Draft Order / Tracker: Current Pick #19

zCommander

1 minute ago, CapsSkins said:

Damn SIP, that clip was during the game too. You can see it was when Kam Curl got shaken up. Tomlin was actually talking trash haha but dumping on the organization while complimenting Chase. Pretty skillful trash talk from Tomlin mid-game!

Yep he was basically saying to get a freak talent like Chase you got to be picking very high in the draft and that's not how the Steelers roll and he's cool with it because they keep winning. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep he was basically saying to get a freak talent like Chase you got to be picking very high in the draft and that's not how the Steelers roll and he's cool with it because they keep winning. 

Yeah and reminding Chase which type of team he plays for. (According to Tomlin, that is)

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Alex but I still agree with the point above.  At a minimum I'd like to groom a young QB.   Desmond Ridder?  Mac Jones?  😀 

If you click on the link to your tweet, look at the reply that is below. 

If you have to move up to get your QB, you move up. If Kyle thinks he is the right guy, I'd pull the trigger. 

The team can win with Alex, obviously. We are in a great position right now for next season, if we can sustain this winning with Alex next year while also selecting a young QB to groom under, what more could we ask for? I'm okay with selecting Trask or Mac Jones later, I'm also okay with trading up for Zach Wilson if he's the guy and we have to trade up for him. We have plenty of cap space, and plenty of great talent evaluators to continue to build a team for our next future franchise QB. 

I just think the timing is too good not to select a franchise QB right now. They seem to always turn out better when they have time to develop and learn an offense, plus Alex Smith is one of the better QBs you could imagine him being groomed under. 

27 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If you have to move up to get your QB, you move up. If Kyle thinks he is the right guy, I'd pull the trigger. 

If they end up at 19, i think it would be too far of a climb to go get him if he goes top 5.  I can see it more with Lance if he drops to like 10 where the climb isn't as extreme.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:36 AM, jsharrin55 said:

No, but the case can be made that having a lower pick means you have fewer options to choose from.  Getting the 4th/5th/6th option at QB would lower your chances of getting the 10 year guy.

The team that picks early has to decide which among the six might have the best chance of becoming a franchise QB.  The team is, of course, a losing franchise for a reason.  The franchise may not be the best place for a rookie QB to succeed, e.g., bad offensive line, no WRs, bad coach, front office incapable of finding and retaining appropriate talent for the scheme etc.  A team that picks lower may get to only chose between two remaining options at QB.  Maybe their scouts say to pass on both.  Maybe one might be a possibility.  They select a QB but he comes into a strong franchise and has to sit a year.  Maybe he turns out to be Patrick Mahomes.    Or, he could be a bust but the team was winning anyway and so it's not a huge loss.  

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they end up at 19, i think it would be too far of a climb to go get him if he goes top 5.  I can see it more with Lance if he drops to like 10 where the climb isn't as extreme.

How high could we get from 19? Carolina is currently picking at 8 and Atlanta at 9. I could see either grabbing Zach Wilson. I think you have to get ahead of them. 

I still am not enamored with the idea of Lance. I almost would rather spend this year upgrading our OL and skill positions and roll with Alex Smith or even sign Dak. I really want a QB. And I know Lance has traits. But I don't trust him enough to spend a 1st.

I will also say that I suck at QB evaluations. I thought Josh Allen would suck, because, "you can't fix accuracy". Thanks PFF. I thought Herbert would suck because he was surrounded by talent at Oregon and was underwhelming. I thought Daniel Jones would be terrible because he wasn't even good in college. Apparently, I don't value traits highly enough in QB's. 

15 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I just think the timing is too good not to select a franchise QB right now. They seem to always turn out better when they have time to develop and learn an offense, plus Alex Smith is one of the better QBs you could imagine him being groomed under. 

Haskins is seeing what it takes to be a winner in the NFL.  If his eyes are opened then maybe he will take the steps he needs to get better.  He didn't have any offseason and apparently didn't have the right attitude.  Attitude can change once he's open to learning.  Fingers crossed.

6 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

Haskins is seeing what it takes to be a winner in the NFL.  If his eyes are opened then maybe he will take the steps he needs to get better.  He didn't have any offseason and apparently didn't have the right attitude.  Attitude can change once he's open to learning.  Fingers crossed.

Haskins can figure it out somewhere else. My main concern with him is accuracy. It has been my main concern with him since the college level, if you're not accurate in college good luck magically becoming more accurate in the pros. 

His attitude is secondary to the traits he lacks to be a good player at the NFL level. 

5 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

This is the wildcard for me.  I think I'm starting to come around (maybe it's the "euphoria") to potentially running with Alex, Kyle, and Dwayne for another year.  Give the kid a chance to go through a full year with the new system, a full offseason, see what you have.  Worst case scenario, you wont be losing any further value (assuming you think he's worth a 6/7th atm) but best case scenario you hope he's learned what it takes to be an NFL QB.

I feel for the guy, he was brought into a situation where a) Anyone that studied his film saw he had raw talent but it needed to be developed.  b) Brought into a situation where in his first season only the owner really wanted him, let alone the first round.  Then was relegated to the bench and barely saw snaps.  c) He lost that system/coach and then gained new ones for 2020 only to have a global pandemic end any OTAs or Preseason.

I may be in the minority but I'm not ready to give up on Dwayne, I honestly believe Ron benched Dwayne for his benefit and sat him to watch Alex both on the field and in the film room.  He's for all intents and purposes basically a rookie still.  I don't count last year with him as a season, Jay did everything he could to not work with him.

**However to not derail the thread**

I don't think the WFT should add a qb and imho It makes a ton of sense, we are starting to see this team come together.  We are again seeing Alex Smith has it in him to win games.  They may not be shootout victories like you would see from the Chiefs, but he does enough along with this great defense to put Ws on the board.  Shore up the line, get a legitimate MLB with speed, add depth to your WR, DB, and TE units in the draft and FA(paying your own and adding what pieces you need) and lets see what happens.

However, I wont be mad if the qb they want is there when they pick.  I will be upset if we give up a fortune like we did for the RG3 trade when we have a perfectly serviceable qb that is currently winning games.

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

How high could we get from 19? Carolina is currently picking at 8 and Atlanta at 9. I could see either grabbing Zach Wilson. I think you have to get ahead of them. 

I still am not enamored with the idea of Lance. I almost would rather spend this year upgrading our OL and skill positions and roll with Alex Smith or even sign Dak. I really want a QB. And I know Lance has traits. But I don't trust him enough to spend a 1st.

I will also say that I suck at QB evaluations. I thought Josh Allen would suck, because, "you can't fix accuracy". Thanks PFF. I thought Herbert would suck because he was surrounded by talent at Oregon and was underwhelming. I thought Daniel Jones would be terrible because he wasn't even good in college. Apparently, I don't value traits highly enough in QB's. 

Lol, I am hit and miss at the QB spot too, everyone is, its the hardest position to judge.  It's a hard one to judge for a number reasons including that you got to factor the supporting cast, context and intangibles more than any other spot and we aren't privy to much information on those variables so we have to extrapolate quite a bit and that's not easy. 

I am a Zach Wilson guy, too but if we win the division I think we'd be too far off to trade up if there is competition in the top 10.  We can try to do what Philly did years back to trade up for Wentz where they traded up multiple times but it wouldn't be easy.

From that next grouping of QBs the two that intrigue me the most are Mac Jones and Desmond Ridder.  I think Jones likely goes in the late first but maybe goes earlier if he burns it up in the playoffs which he's certainly capable of doing and Desmond Ridder who I'd guess goes late 2nd/early 3rd?

If they end up at 19, I haven't watched enough players to have a big man crush yet for any players that might land in the range.  

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Haskins can figure it out somewhere else. My main concern with him is accuracy. It has been my main concern with him since the college level, if you're not accurate in college good luck magically becoming more accurate in the pros. 

His attitude is secondary to the traits he lacks to be a good player at the NFL level. 

Yeah I wasn't high on Haskins before the draft.  I saw his inaccuracy on display in person through numerous practices in camp last year.  And I am just not a believer that a dude changes that much when their motivation to work hard is hot and cold with too much cold in that mix according to multiple coaching staffs now.   Even Rivera said he believes that its partly innate to have that work ethic. 

3 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Damn SIP, that clip was during the game too. You can see it's from when Kam Curl got shaken up. Tomlin was actually talking trash haha by dumping on the organization while complimenting Chase. Even added that dig "I play against you all the time" meaning he's always dealing w/ trash teams that get the blue-chip prospects and he's still winning, lol. Pretty skillful trash talk from Tomlin mid-game!

i like tomlin even more after that clip

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Tomlin is a savage lolol don't really have an issue what he said I mean he isn't wrong. Kinda reminds me of Bellicheck at the combine when scouting Bradley Chubb and telling him "we're picking 31 so we have no shot at you."

Well, the last time the Steelers had two three 10 picks since 1971 and has not had only 3 in the top 15 since 2000. In the last 20 years, they have only entered December with no playoff hopes once. Since 2001, the Patriots have had 1 top 10 pick and only one other in the top 15. They have been in the mix for the playoffs at this time every year.  Good teams rarely pick in the top 10 more than once or twice a decade.  In the last 20 years, we've picked top 10, 7 times and in the top 15, an additional 4 times. 

The Pukes now focussing in on a top 5 pick.

Not normal convention, but they should give Dak a fully guaranteed 2 year 80mil deal and draft Lance. Or tag him again at just under 40mil and draft Lance.

People underestimate having quality behind the starter at QB. One injury, season screwed.

43 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Not normal convention, but they should give Dak a fully guaranteed 2 year 80mil deal and draft Lance. Or tag him again at just under 40mil and draft Lance.

People underestimate having quality behind the starter at QB. One injury, season screwed.

Dallas needs to draft defense all 7 rounds. They're putrid right up the middle, their defense reminds me of how ours used to be where it was paper soft and you could just run up the gut against us all game. 

38 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Dallas needs to draft defense all 7 rounds. They're putrid right up the middle, their defense reminds me of how ours used to be where it was paper soft and you could just run up the gut against us all game. 

In theory yes.

Interesting QB situations right across our division though. Especially if three of the teams are picking top 10-12. 

9 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

What? There is no way they draft a QB if they sign Dak, that makes zero sense. Its almost a lock they'll draft defense anyway, that D is one of the worst I've ever seen.

Maybe sitting out a year causes Parsons to drop. I actually hope teams buy the hype on all these QBs so a talent like him falls to wherever we pick. There will be a few combine heroes who get over drafted as well. I already changed my avatar to the classic LaVar #11! I'm struggling letting go of my dream of a dominant championship defense lol although it can still be built through other rounds. For my QB guys, we will be asking MUCH less of our QB if we add a Linebacker like Parsons to the mix. We will be watching the defense gift wrap turnovers and great field position all season. 

Admittedly, I'm in the same boat as those who wanted QBs right now. It's bitter sweet but we are playing ourselves out of position to get the players I wanted.

9 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Last I heard Dallas was projected to have about $47 mil in cap space in 2021 and that's not including Dak... If they were to sign him, thats about all they can do without cutting elsewhere. 

Archived