Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What made you become a Redskins fan?

pr11fan

3rd generation trying to raise the 4th. Remains  to be seen what happens especially with a full rebrand. I am an expat of the area of 20+ years and now reside in Cowboys country. Tough raising the 4th Gen fan when your only tie to the DMV is the team and have has 20 years of Dan misery. If we rebrand to something ridiculous that feels like an expansion team, I will likely let the team and NFL go. I need a tie to the past. Non-NA obviously, but a tie nonetheless. If not, I am likely done with the NFL and I could see my son (8)  becoming a Dallas fan like all his friends, but I digress.

The second picture ever taken of me at just a few months old I am in Skins outfit. The first full season I can remember culminated in SB17 which is etched in my memory. My grandmother is in her mid 80s and not only am I lucky to be able to call her once a week, she is still the biggest Skins fan I know. We talk Skins every week. My childhood was filled with Skins related trips and get togethers with extended family, all Skins fans. Many are no longer alive, but those memories are dear to me. I have memories that span Dave Butz letting me try on his SB ring when I was 8 to chasing Riggo down for an auto when I saw him at  pizza place in Frostburg when my cousin and I drove up for training camp when we were in our late teens. The Washington Redskins are more than a team to me. They are an integral part of my life history. I understand why the name must change. I understand why it could be hurtful to NA folks despite no malicious intent. I also allow myself to mourn and no one will make me feel bad about it. Not one iota.

Been a fan since I was 6, thanks to my Dad. When I was in the 3rd grade, a classmate and I made a scrapbook at school from newspaper clippings. That was the year of the first Super Bowl win. After the season was over, Joe Theismann came to a local department store to sign autographs. It forever cemented the bond. I am lucky enough to remember all the Super Bowl wins vividly as they occurred in elementary, middle, and high school. I'm unlucky enough to have never seen a skins victory in the 10 games I've attended throughout the years. 

1 hour ago, bwattsup said:

Been a fan since I was 6, thanks to my Dad. When I was in the 3rd grade, a classmate and I made a scrapbook at school from newspaper clippings. That was the year of the first Super Bowl win. After the season was over, Joe Theismann came to a local department store to sign autographs. It forever cemented the bond. I am lucky enough to remember all the Super Bowl wins vividly as they occurred in elementary, middle, and high school. I'm unlucky enough to have never seen a skins victory in the 10 games I've attended throughout the years. 

You've never seen the Skins win a game in person?  0-10?  

Wow, I feel for you.  That's really bad luck.

I guess I'm lucky to have been able to attend some games at RFK back in the late 80s and early 90s.  Only saw a handful of losses.  Most games I attended there were Redskins wins.  As for the dump known as FedEx Field, that's a different story altogether.

2 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

I guess I'm lucky to have been able to attend some games at RFK back in the late 80s and early 90s.  Only saw a handful of losses.  Most games I attended there were Redskins wins.  As for the dump known as FedEx Field, that's a different story altogether.

I've only made it to one - The one vs the Bengals in London.... The first tie we had in 19 years where Hopkins missed a 34 yarder in Overtime.... I still have a better record than @bwattsup despite only seeing us in one game that we didn't win 🤣

My grandparents, on my father's side, lived in Boston in 1932. They were fans from the beginning. Shortly after the team moved to DC, my grandparents followed. They went to every home game since before season tickets were a thing. I was born in DC, but I didn't really become a fan until George Allen and the Over the Hill Gang. I moved away from the area when I was 14, but I never stopped being a fan. 

My father was in the stands at Griffith Stadium on Dec. 7, 1941 when the calls started coming out over the PA system for all military personnel to report to their duty locations. I was 8 in 1955 when we moved to FL and with my dad as an old fan and the games on TV even then, or shortly thereafter because the Redskins owned the South, it was natural to pull for them and I loved those Eddie Lebaron, Don Bossler, Chuck Drazenovich, Bob Toniff, Joe Rutgens, Vince Promuto, Dick James, Ed Sutton, Johnny Olzewski (I know I botched up spelling but I remember the names to this day along with many more). That is why this Snyder era has been so upsetting.

As a young kid, my first memory of the Redskins was everyone gathering to watch them in their first Super Bowl against the Dolphins. It was exciting and tons of food and was just a really good atmosphere even though they ended up losing.

The next thing I remember was my dad flew me with him to New York to see a Skins/Giants game. Don't remember the game but remember being given a FREE COCA COLA on the flight lol...for a kid, that was the coolest thing ever. I do, though, remember feeling as if following the Redskins was something special. My dad was actually a Houston Oilers fan, not a Redskins fan. But he encouraged me to follow whatever team I wanted to.

I think it was probably when I was about 11 years old I was fully into the Redskins, and one night while my parents were out I got one of my notebooks (3-ring binder with those metal circular claps that I always shut on my fingers lol) and took the 2-3 sheets of paper I had and started taping in articles from the WP about the team and players. When i went to bed the notebook and cut-up news papers were still on the kitchen table. When my parents got home my dad saw what I was doing, and went out and bought me a full pack of notebook paper and some more tape and left it on the table for me. It was like Christmas when I woke up.

From that point on there was no turning back. There still isn't.

10 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

Yep, have never seen a victory in person. About the closest I've come to it was the Giants game @ Fed Ex in 2007. Dominated the 1st half, and then fell apart in the 2nd. Went to tie it at the end, and Ladell Betts got stuffed twice from the 1. The last one I went to was the playoff game vs the Packers. Thought for sure we were the better team that day, but I seemed to jinx them yet again. 😁 

8 hours ago, UKskins said:

I've only made it to one - The one vs the Bengals in London.... The first tie we had in 19 years where Hopkins missed a 34 yarder in Overtime.... I still have a better record than @bwattsup despite only seeing us in one game that we didn't win 🤣

I'd have given anything to even see a tie. 🤣😂🤣

I started out as a Detroit Lions fan. First game I ever watched was the 1980 season opener at the L.A. Rams. After Billy Sims put 153 yards and three TDs on the defending NFC champions, I was hooked.

1982 was the first playoff taste I got, and the Lions were playing at RFK. It was a blowout to the point that CBS actually cut away from the game, even in Michigan. Since my team lost to the Redskins, I figured I would root for the Skins to go all the way so I could say my team lost to the best. Sure enough, The Diesel did his thing and the Washington Redskins claimed their first Super Bowl.

I stuck with the Lions, of course. Through a couple more teasing seasons of almost coming through and then my man Billy Sims blew out his knee on the green concrete in Minnesota. That was a damn shame, because Billy Sims was a HOF talent. Check him out on YouTube if you are not familiar with him; he was that good.

I stuck with the Lions until 1986. That was the year the USFL players came to the NFL. The Lions had the opportunity to acquire Anthony Carter, a legend in the state due to his exploits at the University of Michigan. He is still my favorite football player of all time and is also well-worth checking out online.

The genius GM of the Lions, a schlub named Russ Thomas, decided that Carter was too small to be an impact player in the NFL. The Lions passed and so did I. Carter went on to Pro Bowls and NFL playoffs records with the Vikings. **** Minnesota.

One Sunday that season, I saw a big-armed QB named Jay Schroeder throwing deep balls to a receiver named Gary Clark and I was hooked again. I still watched the Lions go through a 5-11 season and never totally lost interest, but when it was a DET-WASH matchup, I was rooting for Detroit to get squashed. I still somewhat rooted for the Lions (and was priviledged enough to get to watch damn near every game of Barry Sanders' career, fortunately), but they were now my girlfriend.

I was married to the Skins, so I got to watch two more Super Bowl victories until everyone got old, Gibbs retired, and they suffered without a playoff game from 1993-98. Then Snyder bought the team and everything turned to straight dog****.

I've had enough of this petty little man's bad juju infecting this franchise. The camel's back has been broken. I'm leaving my wife for my first love. At least no one can say I'm bandwagoning it. Time to chase the white whale and root for a Detroit Lions Super Bowl victory. Did you know that the Lions have one playoff victory in the past 63 years? 😬

I'll imagine I'll still follow the Washington franchise, much like I have followed the Lions in the past. The main difference is who I'll be rooting for when they meet head-to-head.

One more thing. For the record, when it comes to DAL/PHI/NYG: **** 'em with a capital F! **** them all with a rusty chainsaw!! Forever!!!

I grew up watching my Dad yell at the Skins on TV. I quickly started doing the same.

Considering the skins have been pretty terrible in that timeframe, I can honestly know in my heart that I am a diehard fan…. Comforting I guess?

This team couldn’t get rid of me if it tried. (Zombie Pun)

On 7/20/2020 at 6:42 AM, UKskins said:

Been to only to five Redskins games (All away games)  and they won each in a major upset. Was hoping to bring my lucky charms to two games this season (Dallas and Arizona), but those days are over. 

On 7/20/2020 at 5:01 PM, khaozerker said:

Third generation Skins fan and living in south eastern Virginia where the Skins games are always televised on the local channels.

Last generation Skins fan I guess we all are.

Really just wanted to post and try this out.  This is my first post...

My dad was a fan.  He told me stories of listening to games on the radio when he was a kid and Sammy Baugh was the quarterback.  I was 8 when the Redskins beat the Dolphins in Superbowl 17.  That game made me a fan for life. 

I have lived in North Carolina my entire life.  Before the Panthers, the Skins were the local team.  I live in Charlotte now.  I get some grief for not being a Panthers fan.  I just couldn't switch.

I've lived in MA and CT my entire life, but I was 6 years old when "Goal line, I-left, tight wing, 70 Chip" happened. Diesel became my favorite player, and "3-yards and a cloud of mud" my favorite style of football, even though I didn't really know the rules of the game that well quite yet.

Even more than all of that, the colors. I fell in love with the colors.

Archived