Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What made you become a Redskins fan?

pr11fan

In light of everything going on with the Redskins these days I’m debating whether I want to continue my fandoms of 33 years or pull the ripcord for parts unknown. I’m trying to figure out what it is that would keep me on board given the name change and the ugly accusations. I want to hear from other people. What drew you in to the Redskins initially?  Reasons I have come up with is location, history, culture, traditions, name, performance, colors, family tradition?  Would love any insight here as we are losing our name, most likely traditions, and the culture has been rotten for basically my entire adult life. 

Being in the UK with no allegiance to anywhere in the USA, and never having visited, I would have been a packers fan as they play in same colors as my soccer team (Norwich City). I started watching superbowl, then random games every Sunday and eventually decided to pick a team. I decided against packers based on the fact they'd won the superbowl the year before and I didnt want to bandwagon.

So I checked out the team that won it the year I was born, and figured that was as good a reason as any. 

Knowing what I know now about my family history, I'd probably have picked the bears. My grandad was in a concentration camp in WW2 and was liberated by Americans. The bit I didnt know at the time (he died when my dad was 8 so there's a lot we don't know still tbf) was that after the war, before he came to the UK, he was in the states as a quartermaster in the US Army for several years. He was based in Chicago, so I'd have picked that if id known. 

Im firmly of the opinion that a team is for life though so wont consider switching allegiance unless the team moves out of DC.

Born and raised in Northern Va. My best friend across the street had season tickets. I was a kid in the 80s so I remember the last 2 Super Bowls.  Redskins players visiting my elementary school. Almost every kid in school was a Redskins fan.

My high school had the name Redskins so when I was little I thought that meant I was supposed to like the Washington Redskins too. That’s what makes this so tough for me. I literally started liking them at six years old because of the name. 

I've been a fan since I was 6 or so and I'm in my 50's.  I'm pretty much done with the team now and sports in general.  I love sports but once it became political I was very turned off and changing the name was the last straw.  Ha, fill my time watch documentaries and canceled my streaming subscription so I only get non-news and non-sports channels. It's is a change I'd be lying if I said it wasn't hard but you've gotta draw the line somewhere.  Ha, I won't say more.  It was a good run and I'm a glad my dad isn't alive to see the meltdown.  Already informed friends and family not to buy me any more sports clothing and since that is all I wear, it'll be a change.  But sometimes, change can be for their better.  Some have theirs, I have mine.  C-ya!

My dad, grandmother, uncle were Redskin fans, grew up pulling for them.  Grandmothers brother (dad's uncle) lived in VA, had season tickets when they were playing in RFK.  The Panthers didn't exist in NC until after I started college.  Uncle, cousin and dad abandoned the skins for the Panthers, not me (or my wife - lifelong Skins fan too, her aunt lived in VA too).  

Not going to not wear my current gear.  Hell, I ordered a Taylor jersey and 3 hats earlier in the week and just ordered a Green jersey and some other memorabilia for the man cave about an hour ago.  When the new name is decided, as long as it's Red Wolves or Warriors (or something not stupid) I'll buy that gear too and stuff for the man cave.    

Thanks Pop

our family ties go back to Griffith Stadium.

bloodlines, that’s it.  Not going anywhere else

but it ends w me.  All kids have turned away from the Skins.  All except maybe, maaaaybe grandson but jury is still out.  Hell, one of my sons is a Detroit fan.  Ponder that, he’d rather cozy up to De frigging troit.....

Nothing more than wanting to fit in with the other kids when I first moved here from Florida. No bloodlines, not because the team was good, none of that stuff.

'99 I started to follow football more, and that coincided with the one incredible year under Norvous, and I've been a sucker ever since

I became a Redskin fan in 1969. My mother scored some tickets to Philly/ Skins game  in November.

I was about 11 years old and this was my first visit to RFK. What a eye opener!   The score, 28 t0 28 , I remember the Skins and Philly played to a tie.

Watching the fans reaction and the roar of the crowd was mind blowing to me, that is when I became a Redskin fan.  Unfortunately Vince Lombardi

did not stay with us, as cancer claimed his life, who knows if Vince was able to stay on this earth what might of been. Hail:247:

1) Family

2) As a first generation American, i quickly learned in order to assimilate and make friends, sports was the easiest outlet.  I found out that people respected me and it got me into the In crowd  and not having to be worried about bullying 

We used to get NFL on TV in the mid 80's in England and as soon as I saw the Helmet and the Burgundy and Gold uniform I was hooked. I am absolutely appalled that we have to get rid of our Famous Name and the Redskin on our Helmet. In no way should we ever get rid of the Burgundy and Gold uniform, if we do I don't think it will ever be the same. 

Very, Very upset Washington Redskins Fan. 

Once a Redskins fan, always a Redskins fan. 

HTTR 

My step father didn't follow the NFL nor did my father. I didn't have any interest in the nearest team that was 3 hours away so in 1983 is asked a friend who won the last Super Bowl and he said the Washington Redskins. "Okay" is said, "Then that's my favorite team from now on".

44 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

My step father didn't follow the NFL nor did my father. I didn't have any interest in the nearest team that was 3 hours away so in 1983 is asked a friend who won the last Super Bowl and he said the Washington Redskins. "Okay" is said, "Then that's my favorite team from now on".

So you're the one that cursed us!

My dad and his father were Redskins fans and I grew up in Nova. My earliest memories were of the Gibbs glory days. Been watching Snyder ruin my childhood memories my entire adult life, some of which was spent with season tickets.

Made lots of friends because of the Redskins so I’ll probably just hate watch them until Snyder sells the team or dies... so probably for the rest of my life. **** this team.

I’m a fan of safety’s John Lynch use to be my favorite player until this one cat hi the scene for the Miami Hurricanes back in early 2000’s. 

once said safety was drafted by Washington I was a doner. Live in Wisconsin never rooted for the Pack. I was a player fan then Sean turned me into a skins fan. I don’t regret it one bit. 

Hail

On 7/18/2020 at 8:40 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Nothing more than wanting to fit in with the other kids when I first moved here from Florida. No bloodlines, not because the team was good, none of that stuff.

'99 I started to follow football more, and that coincided with the one incredible year under Norvous, and I've been a sucker ever since

Its fans like you I feel for the most..jesus gods just as evil took over.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Do not pity me, sir. This is the pain I have chosen... The pain that I deserve

Well, hats off to you...mr. lol

On 7/18/2020 at 9:17 PM, BTBIRD 227 said:

I became a Redskin fan in 1969. My mother scored some tickets to Philly/ Skins game  in November.

I was about 11 years old and this was my first visit to RFK. What a eye opener!   The score, 28 t0 28 , I remember the Skins and Philly played to a tie.

Watching the fans reaction and the roar of the crowd was mind blowing to me, that is when I became a Redskin fan.  Unfortunately Vince Lombardi

did not stay with us, as cancer claimed his life, who knows if Vince was able to stay on this earth what might of been. Hail:247:

Thank you for sharing..to me personally its posts like this one should cherish.

Archived