Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

On 10/2/2020 at 1:43 PM, Riggo#44 said:

But the main problem is lack of Metro again--closest one is in Old Town.

My bet is if the state and team decide to put the team there, the Metro will come. I could see an agreement where the team pays for the majority of the stadium, and the state pays for capital improvements, such as metro accessibility.  The big issue I see is I'm not sure where it would come from, but there's no way Dan's building a stadium without metro.  He knows better.  He's lived through that at FedEx.  He won't make the same mistake JCC did.  At least, I don't think he will.  

Though I like the "big ass ferries" idea, there are 3 issues with them:

1. You have to get to the ferry.  Which means you probably need metro on the origination side, which doesn't exist in Old Town (near enough.)  

2. You need parking near the origination.  See above.

3.  We don't need a big ass ferry at the moment. We could fit all the fans we need onto... 

8-Hour, 40 HP Dinghy Rental on Capri

• Haha 4

On 10/2/2020 at 6:44 PM, Vanguard said:

I really hope Ron gets better.  I want him to have a healthy stay here.  As a coach and as a person.

Of the 7 2014 coaching hires, only Zimmer is still a head coach. Gruden went 1-5 in his first year and got 5+ years. Gibbs was 1-4 before he got his second win in his first year coaching under Devil Snyder. Lovie Smith is a decent guy and a decent coach, he only got two at Tampa.

The latest on-field news is actually quite another indictment of the front office and owner. He forces the football minds to pick Haskins at #15 last year during the draft. Then, predictably, three coaches over 20 games are unable to get anything positive out of the kid (not Haskins' fault that he was over-drafted). 

The man is horrible at everything he does and really cannot wait until he stripped of this team so that I can get behind the team again. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sitting down during the game, missing meetings, getting IVs. Maybe I'm just salty because of personal experiences with Cancer. I'm not optimistic and I believe our record reflects our HCs health. 

I feel the same based on my experiences with battling cancer as well. I can't see how this is going to work for Ron during treatment/recovery. He should step aside and focus his energy on his health. Coaching in the NFL is a dream job, but it's just a job.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mike42 said:

I feel the same based on my experiences with battling cancer as well. I can't see how this is going to work for Ron during treatment/recovery. He should step aside and focus his energy on his health. Coaching in the NFL is a dream job, but it's just a job.

I completely agree. There is no giving 100% to himself, his family and the team when you're going through Chemo.

To see him sit down on the sidelines during the game told me everything. It's time for him to step away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Ron's all over the place.  He said and behaved like winning wasnt a priority, but now does a 180 and is making a decision based around winning the division.

Disagree. When he took over he said this was an evaluation season. But here’s the thing, the division turned out pretty bad. So now, while it’s still an evaluation season, the team and players think they have a chance to win. 

With the stuff being reported about Haskins work ethic, the videos of how disrespectful he was to Thomas Davis, the stuff with AP last year, the situation about a player approaching him to work harder and him changing nothing (I don’t have the link, it was posted in one of the Haskins threads), it’s not hard to imagine that the locker room was pressing... 

A change doesn’t mean winning. But it shows the desire. And that keeps the locker room with the coach.

So, from a coaching standpoint, you have to adjust. And if it’s true Haskins is rubbing guys wrong/not working hard enough... that’s noticed in the locker room. And you can’t let a guy do that. 

Also from a coaching perspective, fans are wondering why guys like Apke and Collins arent being held to the same standard... but it’s a different circumstance. Their agents aren’t tweeting. They aren’t ignoring veterans. And they aren’t quarterbacks. 

Rivera has to weather the storm this season and keep the guys invested/bought in. And he needs to show forward thinking and forward movement in progress in this offseason and next season. 

But he needs to keep the locker room. He used his timeouts against Baltimore. I’m guessing you see more of that.

I think he misread the rest of the division early on, like we did. And evaluation and learning turned into evaluation and learning with a chance to still win the division. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Ron's all over the place.  He said and behaved like winning wasnt a priority, but now does a 180 and is making a decision based around winning the division.

Im not sure why people are having trouble with this. He has been clear about it.

1) Rivera thought, like many others, that we'd have 1-2 teams in our division (Most everyone thought DAL & PHI) would be 3-1 / 4-0 at this point in the season. The opposite has occurred, which is a surprise around the league.

2) Every offensive snap starts with the ball in the QB's hand, and every pass is based on a QB's decision. So if the QB is not making the right decision, adjustment, etc. the play immediately falls apart. How can a new coach with new FO personnel fairly evaluate & teach players if the QB is botching the play? Allen may not impress many here (I'm not), but he at least allows the coaches to evaluate other players fairly.

3) Lets be clear, if you list the top 5 players on this team in terms of Football IQ, talent, work ethic, leadership, etc.... They would all be defense outside of Alex Smith, who is on the bench. Smith, Kerrigan, Thomas Davis, Collins, Jonathan Allen.

You cant have the most talented unit with the most leadership developing a gulf between them and the offense. Rivera needs to keep the team invested and prepared.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pcbothwel said:

1) Rivera thought, like many others, that we'd have 1-2 teams in our division (Most everyone thought DAL & PHI) would be 3-1 / 4-0 at this point in the season. The opposite has occurred, which is a surprise around the league.

After week 2 Philly was 0-2 and Dallas should've been if Atlanta's special teams knew the onside kick rules.  Surely he had a thought at that point that no team in the division was going to have a monster year. But yet Ron in week 3 was not calling timeouts and trying to get his ball back to his offense in a game where at one point they had already clawed back from 17-7 to take the lead.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

Kevin Sheehan was on fire this morning about Dan and how he needs to sell, worst owner in the NFL, possibly in all of sports, etc., etc. 

He ALSO hints very strongly that a new WAPO story is coming. Listen to the "Hour 1" section of today's show:

https://theteam980.com/the-kevin-sheehan-show/

There's more to come for sure on the culture and the owner. And, with the euphoria of the opening day win having worn off, the attention will be back on how poorly run this organization is. None of those stories - or the victims - have gone away. I'm guessing by mid-November when the team is 2-7 or whatever, all eyes will be back on ways to remove the criminally negligent and misogynistic owner. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2020 at 11:36 AM, hail2skins said:

After week 2 Philly was 0-2 and Dallas should've been if Atlanta's special teams knew the onside kick rules.  Surely he had a thought at that point that no team in the division was going to have a monster year. But yet Ron in week 3 was not calling timeouts and trying to get his ball back to his offense in a game where at one point they had already clawed back from 17-7 to take the lead.  

I know I've been a negative poster in this thread. That's all related to the owner and his "yes (wo)men" in the front office. 

As for Ron Rivera and any coach, I have NEVER understood the fan hypocrisy like what's posted above. Fans demand certain guys and want to put all their trust into the new coach with phrases like "In Ron We Trust" or "Finally an adult is running the team" then basically 5% of the way through the man's contract they question decisions. Let the guy do his job with this bottom-5 team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I know I've been a negative poster in this thread. That's all related to the owner and his "yes (wo)men" in the front office. 

As for Ron Rivera and any coach, I have NEVER understood the fan hypocrisy like what's posted above. Fans demand certain guys and want to put all their trust into the new coach with phrases like "In Ron We Trust" or "Finally an adult is running the team" then basically 5% of the way through the man's contract they question decisions. Let the guy do his job with this bottom-5 team. 

TD, I was responding to the notion that indicated that its only after four weeks in that Ron is thinking "hey, maybe we can be in the thick of this" when that was apparent somewhat earlier than that.

And my expectations for the team given the talent level are modest. But Ron's job on Sunday is to try and win games until that final whistle sounds, and that means utilizing your timeouts when you still have even somewhat of a chance. If that makes me a hypocrite in your eyes, I'll wear that label proudly, thanks.

21 hours ago, hail2skins said:

But Ron's job on Sunday is to try and win games until that final whistle sounds, and that means utilizing your timeouts when you still have even somewhat of a chance. 

I don't know that I fully agree with that. I think MOST coaches fall into that trap for sure, but I prefer a coach who is in synch with the higher levels of an organization. For example, if a team is rebuilding I would prefer a coach play younger (not always better) players and put them in situations. It's why cutting Peterson was fine with me. Clearly he would be the best RB but what good does a 1,000 yard year from a 35-year old do THIS team THIS year?

So, if we have a coach doing everything possible to eek out a 17-16 win in a wasted season rather than evaluate young talent, etc. then we have a bigger issue. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

So, if we have a coach doing everything possible to eek out a 17-16 win in a wasted season rather than evaluate young talent, etc. then we have a bigger issue. 

Why can't both be done simultaneously?  I can understand if a team is 2-7 at midseason, but not this early in the campaign when your team is at least still within shouting distance with over 6 minutes left.  You couldn't make the assessment that this was a wasted season, particularly after this team clawed back from the 17-0 deficit in the opener to beat the Eagles.