Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Yeah, no amount of "nasty comments" (unless they're racially motivated) are likely to get him forced to sell. I still say it all comes down to these videos and whether or not he was the one who instructed them to be made. The one thing about this article that stands out to me as new/worthwhile info is the Rolling Stones/U2 connection. Snyder's two favorite bands, two of the three bands included in both the 2008 and 2010 videos. While obviously that's not a smoking gun at this point, it's a smoking ... something or other. One of the things people had suggested is that possibly a staff member put those together for their own amusement or that Larry wanted them for himself and just lied about Snyder wanting them, both of which seem to me ridiculous. Number one, different people were supposedly involved in the production of these videos during these two years. Number two, some young editor isn't going to put some produced piece together for his own amusement (and choose the Stones and U2 and Aerosmith as the backing music?). They'd just grab the raw clips. Plus, you'd have to have multiple editors doing exactly the same thing over different years for that to be true, since different people are accused of making each video. So that theory is pretty much out.

Number three, Larry isn't about to go to all that trouble AND put his job on the line by lying about Snyder ordering the videos just for some nip slips that he could probably get easy access to anyway as the head of that department. Nor would he have someone burn the videos to TWO DVDs saying "Executive Meeting." Again, Occam's Razor ... what makes the most sense here? To me, it's easily what Brad Baker went on record as saying: that Larry was ordered by Dan to put these together in multiple years, Larry had it done. End of story. And they have videos from 2008 and 2010. Not a big stretch to think there must be one from 2009 and prior and later years. 

Seems to me, all they need is for a few more people involved in this to grow some balls and tell the truth. Or for one ... Larry. Rest assured, if Larry doesn't spill, he's more than likely going to get hit hard for this when all is said and done. 

I think that even if the NFL investigation doesn't find enough to force a sale, there's still hope that a court trial will reveal a lot that could. 

Edited by Dissident2
  • Like 2

I think you would need to find the necessary darning deets long before a court trial. Trials can end in massive cash settlements where everyone's problems mysteriously go away and no one is punished in the traditional sense.

If this thing goes to court, and Snyder is still in control of the franchise, I see even less chance of his removal than I see now.

5 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It was in one of the 1st reports. There was a boxing night where he told one of the cheerleaders to go to a hotel room to get to know one of his friends better.

Let’s hope that Mr Snyder joins the likes of Donald Sterling and Marge Schott.

Side note:  I will give you one guess who was trending while I was searching for the correct spelling of Marge Schott’s name.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's a bad comment.

But it's still not enough to get him kicked out.

On a side note, am I the only one who doesn't see the need for cheerleaders?  I say this as someone who's photographed them a lot and gotten to know them, they're nice people...but I just don't think anyone really cares.  They come out, they dance and no one seems to pay attention.  I dunno, I'm just thinking that the need for cheerleaders is gone.

Last time this scandal was around it was noted a few teams in the league haven't had cheerleaders for a long time. The NY Giants for example have never had any cheerleaders and no one even notices or cares. 

All you need is some people to run around, pump up the crowd and toss some t-shirts. Like in basketball. 

20 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I think you would need to find the necessary darning deets long before a court trial. Trials can end in massive cash settlements where everyone's problems mysteriously go away and no one is punished in the traditional sense.

If this thing goes to court, and Snyder is still in control of the franchise, I see even less chance of his removal than I see now.

I actually see more ... PROVIDED that "big cash settlement and everyone goes away" is not ultimately what happens. The Banks firm has already claimed they are going to file both civil and criminal suits. And we've heard nothing from Gloria Allred yet. That's coming. I also get a sense that there is intense anger from the cheerleading squad over this and a sense of deep betrayal. I think most of those involved will WANT to hurt Snyder and those associated with making these videos. While that would obviously never rule out the possibility of them going away "if the price is right," I believe someone or some people are going to take a big fall for this whether there's a big settlement before a trial or not, and Larry is the most obvious candidate at this point. If more come forward in the meantime and admit that it was in fact Snyder who ordered these to be made, I don't think there's any way he survives that. 

I think there's very little chance that what we've seen/heard/read so far will ultimately get Snyder forced out. It's possible, but unlikely imo. A suspension is probably going to be the outcome. If the NFL was smart, what they would do (aside from forcing him out, which would be the smartest/best move, because this will never end for them as long as he's owner) would be to suspend him until the trials are complete. 

I heard one of the lawyers speaking awhile back saying that when things go to trial, "people start speaking." If I had to guess, I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance that some more people corroborate Baker's story in the Post. This is far from over, no matter what the investigation yields. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dissident2 said:

I actually see more ... PROVIDED that "big cash settlement and everyone goes away" is not ultimately what happens. The Banks firm has already claimed they are going to file both civil and criminal suits. And we've heard nothing from Gloria Allred yet. That's coming. I also get a sense that there is intense anger from the cheerleading squad over this and a sense of deep betrayal. I think most of those involved will WANT to hurt Snyder and those associated with making these videos. While that would obviously never rule out the possibility of them going away "if the price is right," I believe someone or some people are going to take a big fall for this whether there's a big settlement before a trial or not, and Larry is the most obvious candidate at this point. If more come forward in the meantime and admit that it was in fact Snyder who ordered these to be made, I don't think there's any way he survives that. 

I think there's very little chance that what we've seen/heard/read so far will ultimately get Snyder forced out. It's possible, but unlikely imo. A suspension is probably going to be the outcome. If the NFL was smart, what they would do (aside from forcing him out, which would be the smartest/best move, because this will never end for them as long as he's owner) would be to suspend him until the trials are complete. 

I heard one of the lawyers speaking awhile back saying that when things go to trial, "people start speaking." If I had to guess, I'd say there's at least a 50/50 chance that some more people corroborate Baker's story in the Post. This is far from over, no matter what the investigation yields. 

Exactly...the storm is coming. 

21 hours ago, Mooka said:

Last time this scandal was around it was noted a few teams in the league haven't had cheerleaders for a long time. The NY Giants for example have never had any cheerleaders and no one even notices or cares. 

All you need is some people to run around, pump up the crowd and toss some t-shirts. Like in basketball. 

Another sign of how antiquated this teams thinking is.   I mean we still had/have a marching band.  

Seems an unexpected disconnect in the coach staff when the rumor circulates about Rivera/Turner at odds over player choice etc. I’m surprised Ron appears to have been more flexible with his right of power than I envisaged.

Maybe he’s giving people the chance to sink or swim. Take onboards someone’s endorsement/recommendation, but damn it better work.

41 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Seems an unexpected disconnect in the coach staff when the rumor circulates about Rivera/Turner at odds over player choice etc. I’m surprised Ron appears to have been more flexible with his right of power than I envisaged.

Maybe he’s giving people the chance to sink or swim. Take onboards someone’s endorsement/recommendation, but damn it better work.

It could be that he saw this as more than a coaching gig and is trying to run the entire football department. To do that (successfully) he has to hire good people and delegate. Gibbs did it that way...he hired Petitbone and got the F out of the way. He would duel with the GM (Beathard and Casserly) when it came to players, so even he didn't have the control that Rivera does. 

I would think this "full control" plus his diagnosis has made it nearly impossible for Ron to decide everything, so I think your assessment that he's giving people a chance to sink or swim is a good one. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I would think this "full control" plus his diagnosis has made it nearly impossible for Ron to decide everything, so I think your assessment that he's giving people a chance to sink or swim is a good one. 

And a reasonable one, which is in short supply around here these days...the idiocy I don't think has ever been higher than the slinging in the Haskins thread.

11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

And a reasonable one, which is in short supply around here these days...the idiocy I don't think has ever been higher than the slinging in the Haskins thread.

I haven't paid as much attention to that thread or the football opinions these days. Everything I do in following this organization is at the higher levels now, including discussion so I haven't worried too much about the week-to-week temperature of the fanbase. I caught glimpses of the game on Red Zone...saw the TD and failed 2-pointer, so I'm guessing there is plenty of angst for those who were hoping for a season in 2020. I'm guessing the excitement after opening day feels months ago, rather than weeks these days.

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I haven't paid as much attention to that thread or the football opinions these days. Everything I do in following this organization is at the higher levels now, including discussion so I haven't worried too much about the week-to-week temperature of the fanbase. I caught glimpses of the game on Red Zone...saw the TD and failed 2-pointer, so I'm guessing there is plenty of angst for those who were hoping for a season in 2020. I'm guessing the excitement after opening day feels months ago, rather than weeks these days.

The Haskins discussion has gone full RGIII--ignoring simple, multiple-reported facts, to further their own narrative. But that's what you get when your POS owner, and his slimy politician BFF, force a ****ty pick, that's what happens. I spend more time in the draft thread, other than making fun of some of the dumber takes floating around.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Haskins discussion has gone full RGIII--ignoring simple, multiple-reported facts, to further their own narrative. But that's what you get when your POS owner, and his slimy politician BFF, force a ****ty pick, that's what happens. I spend more time in the draft thread, other than making fun of some of the dumber takes floating around.

Good point. 

I just wish that meddling and making bad picks was Snyder's worst offense. If it was, I'd still be able to lose myself in the football. As it stands, I find myself following the Colts a little more (a team I adopted in the 80s as a harmless, younger brother to my Redskins). Until the NFL cleans up Snyder's mess, I find it hard to support this organization. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Good point. 

I just wish that meddling and making bad picks was Snyder's worst offense. If it was, I'd still be able to lose myself in the football. As it stands, I find myself following the Colts a little more (a team I adopted in the 80s as a harmless, younger brother to my Redskins). Until the NFL cleans up Snyder's mess, I find it hard to support this organization. 

Unfortunately, you're right, and I fully understand your position. He might be the worst owner--and not just from an x's-and-o's standpoint--but from a personal standpoint in all of sports. And that is saying something.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

If that's the case then Turner is sinking fast. I'm not into changing OC's every year but if we get a shiny new QB in the draft I won't hate it. For the record I don't think Turner would get cut loose that fast but it really seems like he is out of his depth as OC. The last time he held this position was as a High School coach. I'm just not sure he is what his father was and it's the only reason he got this opportunity.

4 minutes ago, ggarriso said:

Random semi medical Q on Ron - noticed he is pulling his mask off to spit alot during the games - today watching the presser (which I think is inside) he leaned to the side of the podium and spit on the ground..  Is this cancer related?

You get sores in your mouth so he could be using something to sooth that which causes the spitting.

Rivera deserves praise and support from dealing with cancer while trying to turn this rather large ship around. From all accounts he's a good man having to fight for his life while fighting for the team. This should be inspirational for players, coaches and fans alike.

From a purely football perspective, though, he definitely deserves his share of criticism. Some are not letting his health issues be a barrier to doing just that. There have been far more instances where I've been scratching my head in confusion and concern surrounding his decision making and public comments than I would have ever imagined when he was first hired. Anyone else remember how much **** Redskins fans on this board gave Gibbs in 2004 when he seemingly refused to move off of Brunell no matter how pathetic he would play? The criticisms of Gibbs' offensive schemes? Those criticisms were sometimes incredibly brutal. If Gibbs can be criticized by Redskins fans, you can bet your ass Rivera can, too.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Califan007 said:

From a purely football perspective, though, he definitely deserves his share of criticism...There have been far more instances where I've been scratching my head in confusion and concern surrounding his decision making and public comments than I would have ever imagined when he was first hired.

This definitely still holds true today...😐