Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Well, you knew the Post would comment on this sooner or later...only surprising thing is Sally Jenkins didn't write it! Nothing new, but it shows Goofball Goodell that people are still paying attention to his lack of action:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/09/15/robert-sarver-daniel-snyder-misconduct-punishment/

What the NBA did right on Sarver — and the NFL didn’t on Snyder

The NBA suspended and fined Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver $10 million this week, which happens to be the same punishment the NFL meted out to Washington Commanders owner Daniel Snyder last year. In both cases, the discipline has been reasonably criticized as too lenient. But the comparisons end there. The sex-related and other allegations against Mr. Sarver, while contemptible, are mild compared with what has been alleged against Mr. Snyder and his organization. And the way the NBA handled its investigation of Mr. Sarver — laying out for the public exactly what it had discovered — puts the NFL to shame for the secrecy with which it has shrouded its investigation of Mr. Snyder.

The Tuesday announcement that Mr. Sarver, who also owns the WNBA’s Phoenix Mercury, “engaged in conduct that clearly violated common workplace standards” was accompanied by the release of a 43-page report documenting the misconduct. Among the report’s findings: Mr. Sarver used demeaning language toward female employees, including telling a pregnant woman she would not be able to do her job after having her baby; he made off-color comments and jokes; he, on at least five occasions, repeated the N-word when recounting the statements of others, even when he was admonished not to do so; and he engaged in demeaning treatment of employees, including yelling and cursing at them. Still, investigators concluded that Mr. Sarver’s use of slurs was not motivated “by racial or gender-based animus.” The NBA launched its investigation after ESPN published a story last November about Mr. Sarver’s behavior; the league hired an outside law firm, which interviewed more than 100 people.

The Commanders also hired an outside law firm to probe workplace practices after The Post in July 2020 published a report detailing allegations of discrimination, sexual harassment and exploitation by 15 former female team employees. The NFL took over the investigation a month later, after The Post published more damning allegations. Over the course of a year, investigators lead by attorney Beth Wilkinson interviewed more than 100 people. But unlike the NBA’s investigation of Mr. Sarver, no report and no public information on exactly what investigators discovered, including details about a $1.6 million confidential settlement paid to a female ex-employee, were released. In fact, no report was even prepared; NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell expressly instructed Ms. Wilkinson not to put anything in writing but instead to deliver her findings orally.

If Mr. Goodell thought that this secrecy would help the disturbing allegations against Mr. Snyder blow over, he badly miscalculated. The NFL’s stonewalling got Congress’s attention; the House Committee on Oversight and Reform held a roundtable in which a female former employee accused Mr. Snyder of unwanted physical contact and advances. Mr. Snyder called the charges “outright lies,” but the NFL hired another outside lawyer — this time Mary Jo White, former chair of the Securities and Exchange Commission and the first woman to be the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York — to investigate the matter.

Ms. White’s inquiry is ongoing. She should refuse to make herself party to another cover-up, putting her findings in writing and insisting that they be published. Meanwhile, Mr. Goodell should realize by now that he can’t bury the Snyder controversy. NBA Commissioner Adam Silver shows what Mr. Goodell should have done in the first place.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

I am absolutely shocked that a sports franchise would sell the most merchandise at its first regular season game with the new name.

I am curious how the 25% increase compares to other sports teams. The Cleveland Indians to Guardians would probably be the closest comparison, but I don't recall any stats on it.

8 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Well, you knew the Post would comment on this sooner or later...only surprising thing is Sally Jenkins didn't write it! Nothing new, but it shows Goofball Goodell that people are still paying attention to his lack of action:

Suns owner situation might be getting hairier

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/suns-minority-owner-calls-for-robert-sarver-to-resign-after-nba-report-on-workplace-misconduct-011557691.html

I'm not sure it has much on the current landscape, but would certainly make things more perilous for owners moving forward.

11 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/suns-minority-owner-calls-for-robert-sarver-to-resign-after-nba-report-on-workplace-misconduct-011557691.html

I'm not sure it has much on the current landscape, but would certainly make things more perilous for owners moving forward.

I would hope so! The only problem is the Manders no longer have any minority owners since Danya bought them out. So there's no one to pressure him to resign...

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

It will get ugly. Supposedly,  Sarver didn't get a stiffer penalty or ban because he threaten to expose all the other owners; who engage in similar behavior. 

Dan probably watching this and sees what will happen.

The Cardinals are slated to follow up the Colts and Lions, as filming of their run on Hard Knocks will commence later this fall. 

Now, Rivera indicated soon after accepting the Washington gig that he's not thrilled with the idea of letting his bunch be in the TV spotlight like his Panthers were for 2019's All or Nothing, which is Amazon's behind-the-scenes sports show. Way, though — like Wentz — would relish the chance to have his workplace be highlighted in such a fashion should Rivera's stance ever change.

"I know this sounds cheesy, but I think this is the dad in me," Way said. "I think it would be a really fun keepsake. It's like, 'Hey, here you go. This was my team.' Telling the kids and things like that. It's just such a good production."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

he's not thrilled with the idea of letting his bunch be in the TV spotlight like his Panthers were for 2019's All or Nothing, which is Amazon's behind-the-scenes sports show.

Maybe something happened between the team and that 2019 show that Ron didn't like, so now he is put off by the idea.

Or maybe he saw the show as a distraction that lead to the Panthers collapse in '19 and does not want to open a window to that same pathway now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Maybe something happened between the team and that 2019 show that Ron didn't like, so now he is put off by the idea.

Or maybe he saw the show as a distraction that lead to the Panthers collapse in '19 and does not want to open a window to that same pathway now.

most coaches/executives don’t really like being on the show, there doesn’t really need to be an incident or specific reason fueling it 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Conn said:

most coaches/executives don’t really like being on the show, there doesn’t really need to be an incident or specific reason fueling it 

Ron very much believes secrecy gives him a competitive advantage. I noticed that whenever he spoke about Terry and his contract. Always though not saying something would help him in the long run. 

• Thanks 1

Well it looks like most people think the NBA was too soft on Sarver now...which makes the inaction on Snyder EVEN MORE GLARING. PayPal is likely pulling out of its sponsorship unless Sarver is shown the door. What's even more interesting is that the NBA showed the PayPal CEO the report:

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/paypal-hits-phoenix-suns-owner-robert-sarver-with-a-dilemma-news.158008.html

Unfortunately for the Suns organization as a whole, it could come a the expense of their biggest sponsor. PayPal has been on the Suns' jersey for a couple of years now and their deal is expiring soon. In a statement today, PayPal CEO Dan Schulman went off on Sarver, noting that if the Suns owner doesn't step down following his suspension, PayPal will pull its sponsorship.

"PayPal is a values-driven company and has a strong record of combatting racism, sexism and all forms of discrimination. We have reviewed the report of the NBA league's independent investigation into Phoenix Suns owner Robert Sarver and have found his conduct unacceptable and in conflict with our values," Dan Schulman said. "PayPal's sponsorship with the Suns is set to expire at the end of the current season. In light of the findings of the NBA's investigation, we will not renew our sponsorship should Robert Sarver remain involved with the Suns organization, after serving his suspension."

Money talks when it comes to the NBA and if sponsorship is at stake, some of the other stakeholders in the Suns may very well try and oust Sarver, once and for all.

Stay tuned for more updates on this developing story.

Edited by BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen

34 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Money talks when it comes to the NBA and if sponsorship is at stake, some of the other stakeholders in the Suns may very well try and oust Sarver, once and for all.

Stay tuned for more updates on this developing story.

Money certainly is the big maker of moves. I'm wondering if we need to see more of an NBA impact rather than a Sun's centric impact.

A sponsor pulling from the Suns is not the same kinda impactful power move as a sponsor pulling from the NBA. That makes it everybody's problem.

The Suns situation fells more impactful to Dan than a lot of the things that were actually swirling around Dan lol. Sun's owner removal feels like a real possibility here.

No more unspoken themes of building culture and winning being mutually exclusive. KDawg is right, we do have some real talent deficits. But I've expected more from this coaching staff. Will Mike McDaniel have more wins than RR, and will his team be better prepared over the course of the season? I fear the answer will be yes, though I hope like hell, of course, it won't be the case.

44 minutes ago, UK_HOG said:

Well he is in his 12th season as a Head Coach and he has a winning record in just 3 of them.

And everybody jokes about Jeff Fisher. :ols:

Put Ron in the USFL and Fisher in DC and is there really much of a difference? Hell, Fisher might bring in Gregg Williams, who might be just as washed up as Del Taco. He might even do some similar dumb **** like go for 2 whenever you don't even need to.