Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is the goal here--this is why Hurney was brought in, probably Mayhew too. Given the history of the chaos of this organization, this is critical to installing culture in my opinion. Under Allen and Cerrato, it was all politics, "don't answer your phone," back room bull****. Everyone on the same page, pulling in the same direction is more important right now than making some bold move in the front office

Everyone on the same page, pulling in the same direction...the amount of **** leaders I’ve heard say that...

Rivera has trust. He breeds trust. Give me the bold move. Hurney and Mayhew are fine by me. Safe, experienced. Something is still missing. There’s a missing piece. I’m eagerly awaiting the announcements.

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I thought Wright dealt specifically with the business aspect of the franchise and not the football aspect?

Plus, can having a GM pick the coach and GM be considered "coach-centric"?

He only deals with the business side, but I gather he has more knowledge in his pinky finger about how successful organizations are setup than Dan.  And yeah, it would go completely against the 'coach-centric' mantra that Dan 'spent weeks' analyzing as the best way to win in the league 🤣.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He only deals with the business side, but I gather he has more knowledge in his pinky finger about how successful organizations are setup than Dan.  And yeah, it would go completely against the 'coach-centric' mantra that Dan 'spent weeks' analyzing as the best way to win in the league 🤣.

I wasn't talking about qualifications as much as I was talking about role and responsibilities with the job he was hired for. That was in response to the "ideally, Jason Wright should have been hired before anyone" comment. I mean, if you are going to have a coach-centric approach--whether that approach is valid or not--then it would not be ideal to hire the president first and let him control the football operations.

At any rate, I always thought Wright was hired due to the name change, the upcoming workplace controversies, and Rivera having to deal with having cancer...it was a lot put on Ron's plate that didn't really have much to do with on-the-field stuff. I also assumed the league and not Rivera steered Dan towards Wright. Could be wrong about all that, though.

Kyle Smith fan here. I view him as one on the very few bright spots to this organization over the past 5 years or so. The personna of RR seems to be one that appreciates and rewards those who earn their roster spots. One would think that Smiths contributions and talents would earn him something other than the Haskins treatment. I'll trust RR up unto the point that I don't

5 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I wasn't talking about qualifications as much as I was talking about role and responsibilities with the job he was hired for. That was in response to the "ideally, Jason Wright should have been hired before anyone" comment. I mean, if you are going to have a coach-centric approach--whether that approach is valid or not--then it would not be ideal to hire the president first and let him control the football operations.

At any rate, I always thought Wright was hired due to the name change, the upcoming workplace controversies, and Rivera having to deal with having cancer...it was a lot put on Ron's plate that didn't really have much to do with on-the-field stuff. I also assumed the league and not Rivera steered Dan towards Wright. Could be wrong about all that, though.

Agreed. I think Wright is just a smart, polished business mind. Not necessarily connected to the football. Sure, he played. But many of us played sports our whole lives and that doesn't mean that we are in a better position to make those types of decisions. He has a MBA and experience in management consulting. You want him focusing on building out the proper structure and culture, not worrying about who would fit best as an edge rusher or nickel corner. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Again, quite odd that nothing has officially been announced. 

I think after the draft Kyle will move on and Mayhew will take his position.

Wishful thinking is that we have a 2 headed monster at GM and Smith will stay on board and gain some more experience.

15 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I think after the draft Kyle will move on and Mayhew will take his position.

Wishful thinking is that we have a 2 headed monster at GM and Smith will stay on board and gain some more experience.

A lot of unknowns right now, Dexter.  Strange that nothing has be made official yet.  It seems like they are waiting for Mayhew/Hurney definite confirmation or for someone else for a front office position.  All we have heard from is the NFL beat twitter pundits.  

Edited by RWJ

Welp, might as well try again. :ols: 

For the 8 millionth time, “Coach-centric” does not, and has not, only meant that the Coach is the top executive and reports directly to the owner. In fact, that “Football Emperor” model is actually quite different than the recent successful ones that have been termed “Coach-centric”. 

As is the case with the 49ers, Bills and Chiefs, Coach-centric only meant that the Coach was hired first and either lead or had a major say in the hiring process of the GM. But once the GM was hired HE WAS NOT MADE INTO A LESSER RANK NOR DOES HE REPORT TO THE COACH. They are both equals in rank, both have full autonomy over their respective departments (so GM DOES have final say over roster and who he hires/fires in the scouting department), and both report to someone else. 

Now, that someone else doesn’t HAVE to be the owner and can be a Team President or CEO or whatever. If that’s the sole justification we have for this structure, in that we’d rather not have them reporting to Dan, well there’s your answer and, for me, it’s just not enough to justify it.

To me, Dan is a problem no matter what structure we have (and we’ve implemented this exact same one multiple times before) so I’d rather have one known to have a decent success rate versus one known to fail almost every time. An actual “coach-centric” model as described in this post or a “GM-centric” one we all traditionally know are simply better with proven structures that formalize sound processes and the highest success rates.

In the end, it all comes down to Dan’s hiring process. If we can praise the hiring of Ron that means he could’ve also hired someone competent to lead an actual “coach-centric model” where Coach and GM are both reporting to said competent guy or do it the traditional way and hire a competent, qualified, GM first. There just isn’t a way to look at this and say, “yup, this is the best for us, for Dan, everything is awesome!” I’m sorry, it just isn’t. 

Does that mean it will fail? Absolutely not! In fact, even with the model Dan has employed with Ron of which has been a proven failure more than anything else, this is STILL the best group of “football people” we’ve had working together under Dan. That’s not saying a whole lot considering how awful it’s been, but yeah,  there is definitely plenty to be hopeful about.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@thesubmittedone

I know you've been all over the coach centric model. One aspect that I don't think is getting enough attention is: in previous examples, was the coach centric model what actually led to success?  Or was success already attained?  Or was the power given to a coach bc the coach already had success in the league, had other options.for his next HC job, and giving him that power was necessary so that coach would agree to come to your team?

You've previously stated how the Patriots are the only true example of a coach centric organization.  And as you mentioned their success was largely stemming from having the greatest quarterback of all time who also didn't push for market value in his contracts because his rich supermodel wife made even more money than he did.  We all know that belichick is awesome as a strategist and a defensive mind, but was pretty terrible with drafting. 

When Patriots started winning and built their dynasty, it was not a coach centric model.   It only became a coach centric model bc kraft believed belichick earned the right and power to shop for the groceries. You can make a strong argument that the Patriots would have had even more sustained success, especially with their current roster, if you had a more talented GM in place that drafted better over the years.  And with the chiefs and 49ers, I think to some extent those guys were given that much power not necessarily because the model itself was so successful, but because they wanted that head coach and to get them as a head coach they had to give them that much power in order to get them hired.  

So Snyder does his 5 minutes of homework and sees how successful teams have coach-centric models.  However, it's not those coach-centric models that necessarily propelled these teams to success.  It's the fact that these teams had success, or the coach had a strong reputation and they were given that power to make the hire.

Has Ron Rivera really shown us that level of success in this league to deserve that much power?  

I'm not saying it won't work out, but I don't think snyder understands cause and effect very well.  

Edited by KillBill26
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RedskininATL said:

12 GM's missed on taking Aaron Donald in that draft.   Hard to fault a guy on missing on a player 6 years later.  How many teams missed on picking Tom Brady for 6 rounds.   I'm not saying Mayhew's got the golden touch either but I don't rely on one missed player as the standard for determining whether or not he's good

Not to mention he drafted Ebron who wasn't a bust (just an overdraft).  Depending on team needs (and I'm not going back to understand the 2014 Lions) it's not like we're talking historic failure at that pick either.