Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I've always felt that under Snyder we underinvested in the Front Office & Scouting in general.  It got better under Bruce, but still not up to the best teams in the league.  Why not put more money into the Scouting Dept.?  There's no salary cap to it and it can provide a significant competitive advantage.

I like Kyle Smith's results as well, but I'm all for building a first-class front office (which I don't think we've ever had).  If Hurney & Mayhew can do that, I'm all over it.

Kudos to Ron for recognizing we were long past due to make some investments there.

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 3

Snyder laying it on thick!!!! How many layers of guys will he add to distract us from the simple fact that he will override every single one of these clowns when he wants whatever he wants????? IT NEVER MATTERS!!!! If he wants Deshaun Watson he will tell every single one of these empty coats to trade any and everything to get him!  Get on board with reality...

• Like 1

Just now, -JB- said:

Snyder laying it on thick!!!! How many layers of guys will he add to distract us from the simple fact that he will override every single one of these clowns when he wants whatever he wants????? IT NEVER MATTERS!!!! If he wants Deshaun Watson he will tell every single one of these empty coats to trade any and everything to get him!  Get on board with reality...

Bro seriously there’s concern and then there’s straight paranoid. Theres a fine line bud.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’m not suggested this is good. Or bad. Or whatever.

But there’s a ton of chefs in the kitchen. If Rivera manages to get the soup right... it’ll be great.

I just have some... concerns...

As we all should--this organization has earned no benefit of the doubt. However--Hurney's strength, from reports, is forming a consensus and managing the room, so to speak. He's not an evaluator, he's a facilitator. Rivera has said there is more to this position than picking players. So, "we'll see," said the Zen Master.

• Like 1

These hires are ok looking from the outside. Thing is that we just don’t really know the inner workings of how it’s all gonna shake out and how they are going to try and make this work. And so to come out now and declare this a problem or a mistake when we don’t really know jack about how it’s all gonna work together is presumptuous imo. I’ll give Ron the benefit of the doubt for now as he has earned that over this year. That’s goes for the effects on Kyle, our draft, FA’s, and wins and loses. Let’s see what they can do before calling it a fail yet.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think the complaints primarily stem from the fact that we were linked to both guys early on which makes the interview process look like a sham.

I don't agree with this logic.  Sure, you identify candidates that you think will be good fits.  Then you do your due diligence and identify and interview additional potential candidates.  If the interviews and the vetting process confirm your initial thoughts - that is not a bad thing.  To pretend that hiring the initial strong candidates that you identified is a sham is just a false narrative without basis.

• Like 1

Admittedly, I don’t do daily GM scouting, so I’m no expert, but I’m struggling to understand why everyone is up in arms over the hiring hurney and mahew.

As TK pointed out a few pages back, hurney has been smoking first round picks. And mahew I assume had a part in building the 9ers and their recent super bowl team.

we’re all hot on Kyle smith and I like the guy, but I don’t think the average non-WFT fan would prefer him to either of these gents. In fact, I think most would be outright disappointed if they hired smith as their team’s GM.

Just now, Number 44 said:

I don't agree with this logic.  Sure, you identify candidates that you think will be good fits.  Then you do your due diligence and identify and interview additional potential candidates.  If the interviews and the vetting process confirm your initial thoughts - that is not a bad thing.  To pretend that hiring the initial strong candidates that you identified is a sham is just a false narrative without basis.

I guess that depends on how you define a ‘strong’ candidate.  Typically strong candidates have multiple suitors.  

You and I both know Hurney had two options: Washington or retirement.

Again, I hate this crap because I do wish for the best.  But my logical side can’t pretend that this in any way exciting.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Then please explain how he let his golden boy Haskins get cut? Not just benched, not just a talking to, cut. The player who he forced on this team. Relax man, things are changing... whether u refuse to see it or not.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, wilco_holland said:

Don't get me wrong. But we hired a minority again. I hate all the silly Rooney style rules. But I respect that we look to be one of the most diverse franchises in the nfl.

That's something I can be proud of. 

As long as we’re hiring people for the right reasons it’s all good.  If we start hiring to simply to get brownie points with minorities then we got a problem.  

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CTskin said:

Admittedly, I don’t do daily GM scouting, so I’m no expert, but I’m struggling to understand why everyone is up in arms over the hiring hurney and mahew.

As TK pointed out a few pages back, hurney has been smoking first round picks. And mahew I assume had a part in building the 9ers and their recent super bowl team.

we’re all hot on Kyle smith and I like the guy, but I don’t think the average non-WFT fan would prefer him to either of these gents. In fact, I think most would be outright disappointed if they hired smith as their team’s GM.

Agreed.....I really like Kyle Smith and he's done an exceptional job setting up our scouting department and drafting players.  

I too would be a little shocked if we pushed to elevate him to GM status after such a small sample size.  I would love it if he could stay and gain some more experience.  If we can hang on to him for one more year we may get a 3rd round comp pick if someone names him their GM next year.

Kinda laughable that people on this board think hiring a colleague you've worked with in the past and trust is "nepotism".

"Nepotism" is more like hiring someone for their last name. Which, actually, speaking of Kyle Smith... Lol 

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

Then please explain how he let his golden boy Haskins get cut? Not just benched, not just a talking to, cut. The player who he forced on this team. Relax man, things are changing... whether u refuse to see it or not.

Doesn’t take Einstein to realize Haskins is possibly the worst QB of all-time 🤣 Things are changing?  Just 2019 Snyder made them draft Haskins even tho nobody in the room wanted him.  Nothing is changing!  It’s more of the same.

Edited by -JB-

5 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I guess that depends on how you define a ‘strong’ candidate.  Typically strong candidates have multiple suitors.  

You and I both know Hurney had two options: Washington or retirement.

Again, I hate this crap because I do wish for the best.  But my logical side can’t pretend that this in any way exciting.

To each his own.  Negativity is optional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Credit where it is due.  LaCanfora called these hires almost a month ago.  He said Gibbs is a big supporter of Hurney.  His article from 12/27:

"The Washington Football Team began a front office overhaul last season but was unable to fully remake the hierarchy in Ron Rivera's first offseason as a head coach, launched just before the pandemic. 

More structural changes are coming to football operations this season, with VP of player personnel Kyle Smith no longer in line to be the top person overseeing the roster, and with former NFL general managers Marty Hurney and Martin Mayhew both strong candidates to rejoin the organization in some capacity, league sources said. Hurney began his scouting career with Washington in the heyday of the Joe Gibbs Super Bowl era, and he remains very well-liked and respected by many in that building. He also shared a very strong working relationship for years in Carolina with Rivera; Rivera was let go by the Panthers last year and Hurney was let go last week.

Hurney has strong support from Gibbs, who remains a key confidant for Snyder, and his reputation for maximizing first-round picks and building a roster is top notch. Hurney could very well be a candidate for other GM openings, as could Mayhew, who previously was a GM in Detroit, though several league sources said they could both end up back in Washington as well. Mayhew, currently a personnel exec with the 49ers, won a Super Bowl as a player in Washington under Gibbs, and is also well regarded by many of Washington's decision makers. Mayhew has been preparing for potential GM interviews.

Rivera came to the WFT on the heels of Snyder finally parting with long-time team president Bruce Allen, with the organization reimagining its broadcasting and corporate structure this offseason and bringing in Jason Wright to eventually replace Allen, during the season. Making all of the changes in 2020 was never going to be realistic, especially with Rivera also battling cancer and the team mired in a renaming campaign and dealing with an NFL investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct. The team also cut ties with several personnel executives and others shortly before training camp due to allegations against them by current and former employees, and not all of those positions were filled before the season as well.

There will be considerable changes coming in 2021 as well, with football operations a key focus."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/more-changes-coming-to-washington-football-team-front-office-during-2021-offseason/

• Like 3