Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Nobody in the entire league is interviewing bums like Hurney, McKenzie, or Mayhew for their numerous open GM positions, as teams jockey for talent and vision at that spot. If we bring ANY of those guys in I will begin to lose some faith in Rivera for the first time.

Lets hope that’s just JLC throwing familiar names agains the wall hoping they stick. 

I know nothing about Cowden but hope he doesn’t fall into this category too. Maybe he’s like Schoen. That’s the guy I have my eyes on.

If we interview merely ONE GM candidate Rivera is comfortable with from his time in CAR and then hire him it’ll also be a turnoff, a real good ol’ boys hire potentially, as the actual hot names for the position make the rounds around the league without a peep from us.

Mayhew has gotten interviews over the years post Lions.  As for whether he's good or not, that's a diferent story.

Cowden is a big time sexy name for what its worth as to the GM pool.  He's one of those media darlings as to up and coming hot shots. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I'd also be really disappointed if we ended up hiring a Hurney or McKenzie type UNLESS we also kept Kyle Smith and those retreads are just responsible for like contracts/administrative crap.

I would be livid if they hired an outsider and let kyle smith move on to another team.  Just when you think we are on the right path, they take 2 steps backwards.  With the last couple of offseasons we have had, why exile him?  Would be such a redskins thing to do.

But in Ron we trust.  I'll have faith in him until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I would be livid if they hired an outsider and let kyle smith move on to another team.  Just when you think we are on the right path, they take 2 steps backwards.  With the last couple of offseasons we have had, why exile him?  Would be such a redskins thing to do.

But in Ron we trust.  I'll have faith in him until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

Kyle Smith has been with Washington for years correct?  So we can’t give him all the credit for the past two successful drafts can we?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Kyle Smith has been with Washington for years correct?  So we can’t give him all the credit for the past two successful drafts can we?

I don't think KS deserves all the credit.  But I do think he was an integral part of very successful offseasons. You disagree?

• Like 1

The confirmed interviews with bums like Mayhew and Hurney worry me a GREAT deal (even if it is rumored that Hurney could come aboard in an advisory non-GM role). These retreads are not serious candidates that are being interviewed around the league right now despite like 7 GM openings. 

Seems like Cowden would be a hot up-and-coming name to add to our brain trust of Rivera and Smith (I am not one who thinks we lose Smith right now if we hire an outside GM—he is getting no interview requests around the league), but that doesn’t matter if we end up hiring one of these terrible retreads. Even interviewing them is worrisome, I’ll repeat. 

I should point out (as much as writing interviews off this way is disrespectful imo) that Mayhew is a potential Rooney Rule eligibility interview. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

I’m just asking the question.  I’d rather not lose him if he has been the main reason we nailed two straight drafts.

I think he has been.  If another team scoops Kyle Smith up as a GM and he ends up leaving WFT I think it's the biggest staff mistake made since RR took over.   In the end it sounds like to me it will be Hurney Senior non GM role with Cowden as our new GM.

5 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think he has been.  If another team scoops Kyle Smith up as a GM and he ends up leaving WFT I think it's the biggest staff mistake made since RR took over.   In the end it sounds like to me it will be Hurney Senior non GM role with Cowden as our new GM.

I hope this is the outcome, with Smith still in the building. Remains to be seen whether Cowden accepts the interview request, I’d assume he does. And if so I guess we hope that he ****ing crushes it compared to the other two total squibs we’re linked to. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26

47 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Mayhew has gotten interviews over the years post Lions.  As for whether he's good or not, that's a diferent story.

Cowden is a big time sexy name for what its worth as to the GM pool.  He's one of those media darlings as to up and coming hot shots. 

Cowden is pretty much our Kyle Smith but has more experience.  I like Kyle but as I've said on other media it's RR dog and pony show.  RR has ties to Cowden as well.  

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Maybe they like Smith in the role he has now and he’s not ready to a GM right now.  He is still only 36 years old and has had multiple promotions over the past few years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I’m just asking the question.  I’d rather not lose him if he has been the main reason we nailed two straight drafts.

Last off-season was one of the best in recent memory for how many solid contributors we got on relatively low cost contracts.   Our draft was very good as well.

2017-19 had some good drafts between nailing early picks and getting solid players in middle rounds.  I also give him credit for knowing DH was not worth it and knowing montez was worth trading back up for.  If it wasn't for snyder meddling and we took montez at 15, he would've had 2 extra 2nds to work with too.  

I'd say our offseasons since 2017 have been better than the preceding few years, and with 2020 being the best, it seems with every promotion he gets, the offseasons get better.   

I feel if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Don't chase a retread or a guy who has been gm longer (with mediocre results), if it means a young up and coming guy gets squeezed out.  

I agree with @ConnSKINS26 in the sense that I hope the guy they bring in to be gm is to supplement KS, not be the first step towards his exit from the organization.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Maybe they like Smith in the role he has now and he’s not ready to a GM right now.  He is still only 36 years old and has had multiple promotions over the past few years.

Maybe so but his Dad was a GM for years in S.D. and Buffalo.  

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I hope this is the outcome, with Smith still in the building. Remains to be seen whether Cowden accepts the interview request, I’d assume he does. And if so I guess we hope that he ****ing crushes it compared to the other two total squibs we’re linked to. 

As long as Smith stays I'm good but if he leaves just watch whatever team he goes to take off.  Big supporter of Smith.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Last off-season was one of the best in recent memory for how many solid contributors we got on relatively low cost contracts.   Our draft was very good as well.

2017-19 had some good drafts between nailing early picks and getting solid players in middle rounds.  I also give him credit for knowing DH was not worth it and knowing montez was worth trading back up for.  If it wasn't for snyder meddling and we took montez at 15, he would've had 2 extra 2nds to work with too.  

I'd say our offseasons since 2017 have been better than the preceding few years, and with 2020 being the best, it seems with every promotion he gets, the offseasons get better.   

I feel if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Don't chase a retread or a guy who has been gm longer (with mediocre results), if it means a young up and coming guy gets squeezed out.  

I agree with @ConnSKINS26 in the sense that I hope the guy they bring in to be gm is to supplement KS, not be the first step towards his exit from the organization.

While I agree that the last two drafts have netted some great talent we still haven’t had a winning record since 2016 at 8-7-1 & missing the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

While I agree that the last two drafts have netted some great talent we still haven’t had a winning record since 2016 at 8-7-1 & missing the playoffs.

Rome wasn't built in a day.  We are definitely trending in the right direction.  We have so much young talent right now.  Another couple offseasons similar to the last few, we will be a force.

I'm not concerned about the GM search. Kyle Smith isn't going anywhere, this roster is his baby and he built it, I'm sure he will want to see if it pans out. Once we start having 10+ win seasons, expect Kyle Smith to start getting interviews because he will have been seen as the mastermind behind this young successful roster. After a 7 win season, we are still safe from Kyle going anywhere.

We need someone to work the phones for trades.

It makes sense to keep Kyle doing what he's really good at, which is evaluating talent, assembling a team of scouts, and making a big board for the team on draft day. Once you start giving people too many duties, it can steer them away from what they're actually good at. An example is Howie Roseman, who had a pretty good reputation as a contract guy and working trades, but now his reputation is getting dragged through the mud for his lack of talent evaluation and the team is also in cap hell. (Apparently he's also a ruthless back-stabber)

Ron Rivera and Kyle Smith are football guys, and we're probably going to hire another football guy to be the GM. No way in hell a Bruce or Vinny type is getting this job. 

Edit: Just my personal opinion but Kyle Smith seems a little intense. He doesn't strike me as a smooth operator when it comes to getting involved with other teams, and trying to finesse trades. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 5

Well, it wasn’t long ago that I was being told here we wouldn’t even hire a GM, the structure was perfectly fine as is, and that Kyle Smith was “de facto GM”... and no matter how much evidence I brought contesting those notions it seemed to not matter at all. 

So I’m already pleased at the fact that Ron isn’t accepting the status quo here and wants to improve the structure of the Front Office. 

That being said, I’m with @ConnSKINS26 and others that it’d be super disappointing if we end up hiring a Mayhew or a Hurney and that’s it. I adore the idea of someone like Cowden or Schoen, and not just because of their quality resumés, but because it’s unlikely they’d even entertain the job if it didn’t come with the proper power over the roster. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, thesubmittedone said:

Well, it wasn’t long ago that I was being told here we wouldn’t even hire a GM, the structure was perfectly fine as is, and that Kyle Smith was “de facto GM”... and no matter how much evidence I brought contesting those notions it seemed to not matter at all. 

So I’m already pleased at the fact that Ron isn’t accepting the status quo here and wants to improve the structure of the Front Office. 

That being said, I’m with @ConnSKINS26 and others that it’d be super disappointing if we end up hiring a Mayhew or a Hurney and that’s it. I adore the idea of someone like Cowden or Schoen, and not just because of their quality resumés, but because it’s unlikely they’d even entertain the job if it didn’t come with the proper power over the roster. 

If it's Schoen or Cowden then it's basically a guarantee that at some point Kyle will leave. If it's Hurney, then it's very possible they're grooming Kyle to take over in a few years. 

• Like 1