Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

We are about 5-6 weeks away from when some school districts are scheduled to reopen.

How do they reopen in a pandemic? 

Will parents be willing to take the risk with their kids?

Online learning isn’t really working well.

Maybe you have a staggered schedule to reduce the amount of kids in school at one time.

This can also be any level really. From Preschool to High School.  Even reopening college can be discussed.  

Edited by Rdskns2000

You don't, and disagree remote schooling isn't working, just some localities are doing better then others.

This school year needs to be fully remote, then have the conversation about staggering the following school year.

Sending kids on campus in the middle if this with flu season right behind it, we know it won't work, why bother?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wish I had the answers.

Online learning sounds convenient and optimal, but not everyone can afford to both stay home with and teach their kids all day.

The last I heard for our county, was a 4 day week - 50% capacity, where 1/2 the kids go 2 days a week, the other 1/2 go the other 2 days.  2 days of online learning.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Virginia has left it very much up to the individual school district. My 60 year old mother, a cancer survivor, is an elementary school teacher. Her district is planning a full reopening.

I’m trying to convince her to retire... the only reason she hasn’t already is because she needs health insurance and isn’t Medicare eligible yet. But as of now she’s set to teach in person and I’m really worried she’s going to die. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215
  • Sad 6

12 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

Food is my biggest concern for some of these children. 

It's a concern, but it's also a solvable problem. Baltimore City was distributing free breakfast and lunches even when school was entirely online. I assume other school districts did too.

• Like 3

My friends in Switzerland have reopened schools. So far so good, they are back to full time. They started out 2 days/week. 

I THINK you have to get the overall cases down in an area THEN stay disciplined: physical distancing, masks, only out for essentials, etc.

Also this, not scientific yet, but...

The Y(MCA) says that during the lockdowns it cared for up to 40,000 children between the ages of 1 and 14 at 1,100 separate sites, often in partnership with local and state governments. And in New York City, the pandemic's national epicenter in March and April, the city's Department of Education reports that it cared for more than 10,000 children at 170 sites.

Working in early days, and on very short notice, these two organizations followed safety guidance that closely resembles what's now been officially put out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Y says a few staff members and parents at sites around the country did test positive, but there are no records of having more than one case at a site. This, among a population of essential workers.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I think in red areas, they won’t keep schools closed. 

I think red states are coming closer and closer to accepting to reality that what they want to do doesn't matter.

It's either figure it out with remote or accept closing schools after clusters like everything else right now.

It's fair to ask what about the parents.  Isn't this about the parents?

1 hour ago, Kosher Ham said:

Food is my biggest concern for some of these children. 

That's why NYC held off long as they could, there's a way to get kids food without them having to go to school.  Has to be, insisting on keeping stuff open for disadvantaged folks had a lot of heart but instrumental in them being the primary epicenter in the country. They just now coming down slightly from that.

Our school is offering a choice of full time virtual or two days in, two days virtual.  One day per week of teacher planning in either scenario.

We're leaning towards sending them, so are many of the neighbors.  Work considerations aside, they're getting no social interaction, even if it is from a distance, and we're really not trained in teaching so I'm not sure we're doing a very good job with them.

I spoke with a county schoolteacher yesterday. He said both Richmond suburb counties (Chesterfield & Henrico) are planning on a 4 day school week for kids with the off day either Monday or Wednesday to be used as teacher planning day. The students will only have 4 courses each semester - effectively learning an entire year subject in a semester. They're still deciding which day of the week will be used for planning. 

We didn't talk about the class setup and/or cleaning, distancing, etc. 

I’ll post what I posted in the parenting thread.

I’m not a teacher. I didn’t go to school for teaching and neither did my wife. We both work 10+ hours a day and get 3-4 hours with our kids before bed time. There is no way that we will be able to accommodate remote learning. Further, I can’t expect my kids to be tought by their grandmother while we are both working.

For that reason, I support in school learning.

Edited by Springfield

On 7/1/2020 at 2:31 PM, Mooka said:

I'm sure Betsy Dumbass has a brilliant plan to reopen. 

(Something like dismantle the public education system) 

It's kinda good that she actually hasn't done **** cause she is ****ing awful. 

• Like 1

In Raleigh it looks like they will be dividing classes up into three groups that alternate having one week at school and two weeks online learning. That would maybe put 5 kids in a Kindergarten class and I think we will send our son for that. Enrollment for Kindergarten is actually way down, which isn't a surprise. What I want to know: are the families of the kids that will be in his class mask wearers. If they aren't, I'd request a different class cause that's some ****ing bs to me.  

Our kids go to a private school where my wife teaches. They are going to do pods of ten kids where the teachers rotate in to teach. They are also installing Owl video conferencing systems in all the classrooms so one teacher can teach multiple pods and any student that had to stay home. They are pulling non essential teachers (PE, art, music) to act as support in the classes. 

They are shooting for a standard reopening with all kids on campus. No small reason is that a number of families flat out told the school if they didn’t have them on campus they would move to another school that would. 

5 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think we can allow students to go to schoolboy we need to get 2 teams of students like we are doing at my work.  Half the kids go one week and the other Half goes another week until this virus is contained 

I’ve heard this idea kicked around but what I’m unclear on is how exactly it’s supposed to help. Parents still have to watch their kids half the time, kids have to deal with a weird schedule, and the school is still shutting down as soon as there’s an outbreak.