Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’ve heard this idea kicked around but what I’m unclear on is how exactly it’s supposed to help. Parents still have to watch their kids half the time, kids have to deal with a weird schedule, and the school is still shutting down as soon as there’s an outbreak. 

I think that is a problem with america in general.  I don't see how schools can be blamed for daycare issues.  

12 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

I think that is a problem with america in general.  I don't see how schools can be blamed for daycare issues.  

This doesn’t make much sense. Schools are the primary childcare provider in most (all?) societies. 

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I’ve heard this idea kicked around but what I’m unclear on is how exactly it’s supposed to help. Parents still have to watch their kids half the time, kids have to deal with a weird schedule, and the school is still shutting down as soon as there’s an outbreak. 

That's my biggest concern, a lot of folks saying that can't deal with their kids being remote, yet I'm not seeing in any of these plan proposals if there's no choice because of an outbreak. 

Every other organization the plan is to just stop what they doing, sometimes indefinitely, we can't just stop school. If the plan for many is there has to be in person, what's the backup plan if in person has to stop because of an outbreak on one of the campus?

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's my biggest concern, a lot of folks saying that can't deal with their kids being remote, yet I'm not seeing in any of these plan proposals if there's no choice because of an outbreak. 

Every other organization the plan is to just stop what they doing, sometimes indefinitely, we can't just stop school. If the plan for many is there has to be in person, what's the backup plan if in person has to stop because of an outbreak on one of the campus?

Which is exactly why, as crappy as it is for so many people, schools need to be all virtual this year. 

With our current level of containment (LOL), schools that have in-person classes are facing a “when, not if” scenario for experiencing an outbreak that forces them to shut down. So this whole situation with people trying to figure out how to have school this year will ultimately be for nothing. There will be a tremendous amount of planning and expense that goes into this, kids will be forced to adjust to new routines and awkward scenarios, and you’ll get what a month or so out of it before having to go back to virtual? In the meantime causing possibly hundreds of infections and likely at least a handful of deaths among parents, grandparents, teachers/staff, etc. 

It’s a futile effort and they shouldn’t bother trying at this point. 

(and we have our govt and leaders to blame, bc other countries have this **** largely contained and are going about their business with only slightly modified routines)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'How the hell are we going to do this?' The panic over reopening schools

Pediatricians say schools should strive to bring kids back to classrooms. Teachers unions are on the verge of revolt, in fear of infections. Local school districts are struggling with everything from technology to staging schools for socially distanced learning.

And Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is largely on the sidelines, saying the coronavirus back-to-school planning is a state and local issue.

No wonder parents across America are freaking out.

The CDC issued additional guidance this week on safely reopening schools, with infections spiking in the South and West. Some education leaders fear the guidelines are being disregarded, casting doubt anew on how the new school year will even be able to launch. Yet the beginning of the school year is nearing and worried parents are wondering if they will be able to count on in-person classes resuming by the time they must return to work, inextricably tying school reopenings to the revival of the economy.

In Virginia, Fairfax County’s teachers unions say teachers aren’t comfortable returning to schools and are encouraging members to state their preference for online learning until more information about face-to-face instruction is available. In Texas, the governor is now requiring face masks in public spaces in counties with 20 or more Covid-19 cases — but his order didn't mention schools. Arizona has delayed schools’ reopening date until mid-August as cases surge.

Click on the link for the full article

Cousin said some schools in DMV talking about keeping the kids in the same room all day and the teachers rotate to keep too many people moving and mixing at the same time all day.

If folks want to insist the kids need to go back even partially, have a plan for if and when they can't.  Florida could just throw their hands up and say no school, that's why remote plan should be fought for now.

If remote is not at least the backup, we are screwed from an education standpoint.  We need to rethink how we do education instead of asking teachers to bail out a failed education system close to being on it's knees right now.

It's a full blown globalized natural disaster. If it can cancel the NFL, it sure as hell can cancel school if systems aren't prepared for it properly.  We gonna need a lot of tablets and laptops.

All I know is that I spent 2 years working towards my credential, paying hand over fist while student teaching for free, yet there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to be employed this year. It's certainly not an issue of desire, I'll wade into that mess if I have to, it's that nobody is reaching out with so much uncertainty over budgets and schedules. 

You have no idea how angry this makes me. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

While I think being largely or completely virtual is just about inevitable at some point, it is hard for a lot of families.

I'm not really sure what single parent homes are supposed to do, for example.

Govt really needs to step in and direct a stimulus toward parents with kids in the house. They’re the most likely to not be able to work. $2-4K/mo if you have at least one kid in the house, the upper range of that being for single parents.  That should get most people through this. 

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

All I know is that I spent 2 years working towards my credential, paying hand over fist while student teaching for free, yet there's absolutely no way in hell I'm going to be employed this year. It's certainly not an issue of desire, I'll wade into that mess if I have to, it's that nobody is reaching out with so much uncertainty over budgets and schedules. 

You have no idea how angry this makes me. 

I was talking with my neighbors about all of the issues with sending our kids back to a public school.  Not sure if you could actually do this, but if I were a teacher, I would take a year off and home-school the kids of 3-4 affluent families.  They would get child care and know their kids aren't falling behind in school, but not have to risk them getting Covid, you could probably charge $500-1000 per month per kid and not expose yourself to nearly the risk of going back to actual public school.   If you did it for 4 families with 2 kids each and charged $1000/mo, that works out to $96k per year.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

Yeah I've thought about something like that too.

The questions people had, which I don't have answers for, are (1) do you need a license to teach other people's kids in their home, or could you just say you are babysitting (this is probably specific you your location*), (2) if you (the teacher) took a year off, could you get your job back, and (3) if a parent pulls their, say, 3rd grader out of public school for a year, could they go back the next year as a 4th grader without any issues.  

*Based on a quick Google, it appears you can do it for up to 6 kids in Virginia without a license, up to 12 with a license.  

My son's last 2.5 months of preschool were canceled and he's (hopefully) going into kindergarden this fall.

Are you guys serious that you think remote learning can work for 5 year olds?  Or are you all just assuming that this conversation is talking about highschool kids and older?

There is no way in hell that a 5 year old is going to learn as effectively in a virtual classroom than they are in a physical classroom.  I'm a bit concerned about what is going to happen because I don't think they are going to have "fulltime" school in person and I am concerned about how it can affect my son longterm since he's so young and at a critical development stage.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I was talking with my neighbors about all of the issues with sending our kids back to a public school.  Not sure if you could actually do this, but if I were a teacher, I would take a year off and home-school the kids of 3-4 affluent families.  They would get child care and know their kids aren't falling behind in school, but not have to risk them getting Covid, you could probably charge $500-1000 per month per kid and not expose yourself to nearly the risk of going back to actual public school.   If you did it for 4 families with 2 kids each and charged $1000/mo, that works out to $96k per year.  

I was just talking to my wife about this, since she currently doesn't have a position, but she'd be very qualified (special education endorsement, experience teaching elementary, middle, and high, lots of training in reading instruction), and she thinks this is a great idea.

Unfortunately, teachers don't typically run in the same circles as people who have $1000 per kid per month to pay for stuff like that. I guess we'll start looking around.

Also, would she have to use the tradesmen entrance? 😂

24 minutes ago, purbeast said:

My son's last 2.5 months of preschool were canceled and he's (hopefully) going into kindergarden this fall.

Are you guys serious that you think remote learning can work for 5 year olds?  Or are you all just assuming that this conversation is talking about highschool kids and older?

There is no way in hell that a 5 year old is going to learn as effectively in a virtual classroom than they are in a physical classroom.  I'm a bit concerned about what is going to happen because I don't think they are going to have "fulltime" school in person and I am concerned about how it can affect my son longterm since he's so young and at a critical development stage.

My daughter's (she'll be 5 tomorrow) new preschool is reopened and has borderline fanatical Covid prevention policies in place, so we are actually going to redshirt her so she can stay there for another year.  I say "new" preschool because we moved her to this one because her old one, which was more "daycare" and less "school" has not reopened and was trying to do distance learning for 4-5 year olds, and it was completely worthless.  

4 minutes ago, techboy said:

I was just talking to my wife about this, since she currently doesn't have a position, but she'd be very qualified (special education endorsement, experience teaching elementary, middle, and high, lots of training in reading instruction), and she thinks this is a great idea.

Unfortunately, teachers don't typically run in the same circles as people who have $1000 per kid per month to pay for stuff like that. I guess we'll start looking around.

Also, would she have to use the tradesmen entrance? 😂

I can be your "affluent suburbanite parent" broker, for a small fee, of course. :)

And I thought I was being conservative with the $1000 per month.  The daycare/preschool in my neighborhood (which is 90% townhouses) charges $1600/mo for 3-5 year olds.  More for younger kids.  https://www.brightstartva.com/tuition-and-fees (this is not where we send our daughter). 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

7 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My daughter's (she'll be 5 tomorrow) new preschool is reopened and has borderline fanatical Covid prevention policies in place, so we are actually going to redshirt her so she can stay there for another year.  I say "new" preschool because we moved her to this one because her old one, which was more "daycare" and less "school" has not reopened and was trying to do distance learning for 4-5 year olds, and it was completely worthless.  

I can be your "affluent suburbanite parent" broker, for a small fee, of course. :)

I'll PM you.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, purbeast said:

This is for really any school.  PreSchool. Elementary. Junior & High School.   Even College can apply.