Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So, how do you reopen schools? (Preschool to High School & even College)

88Comrade2000

I agree. That purple statement above is a bit wanky as far as I’m concerned.

Teachers are in the same boat as me and every other person who can’t telecommute. It’s the truth. To complain that they actually have to go back to work and do their jobs while the rest of us have been doing so for weeks or months can sit on it and spin. Get over yourself.

In the same light. Open the schools as carefully as you can. Change things. Do in person instruction differently. Adapt. Don’t post a FB rant about how your aren’t a babysitter or responsible for recovering the economy. **** right off with all that Jazz.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

That’s cute but we’re not talking about recovering the economy or babysitting or getting us back to normal. We’re talking about educating children. Which is what they signed up for. And we pay their salary. So if they don’t want to do it fine, we’ll find more teachers. They can switch jobs. 

from a job perspective they’re not in any other boat than the same one we’re in. They can switch careers or quit just like the rest of us. 

we’re talking about the lowest risk environment and this can be done safely. And all of us (the reasonable and responsible ones) are trying to figure out how to safely navigate this will all factors in mind. So they can shove their whining up their ass. If they want to be thoughtful about it I’m all ears. Otherwise piss off with the nonsense. 

With all due respect, **** that. You’re asking teachers to step into a working environment that could well be more dangerous for many of them than a soldier in war zone. 

They want to do their jobs. Safely. Which in our current environment means virtually. 

Virtual doesn’t work for you because you have to work? Guess what, you’ve arrived right back to their point: they’re the de facto primary childcare providers.

It’s not teacher’s fault that in-person school this year is going to be deadly. So don’t fault THEM that they’re saying hell no. They’ve got families to consider too. 

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Virtual doesn’t work for you because you have to work?

No it doesn’t work for me because my child is 5 ****ing years old. 

get over yourself. If you can’t be an adult and work to solve a complicated problem then find a seat in the corner or find another job. 

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

The kids are low risk, the teachers are not.

but they’re in a low risk environment in the grand scheme of things given what we currently know. And plenty of other operations are figuring out how to navigate this safely. Not trying is not acceptable. 

Edited by tshile

Kids don't have stronger immune systems than adults, you orange nitwit. Because of their smaller, still-developing respiratory systems, they don't release as many droplets as adults. They are also less likely to experience the cytokine storms that kill adults BECAUSE their immune systems are weaker. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

No it doesn’t work for me because my child is 5 ****ing years old. 

get over yourself. If you can’t be an adult and work to solve a complicated problem then find a seat in the corner or find another job. 

but they’re in a low risk environment in the grand scheme of things given what we currently know. 

The solution is to control the outbreak and make classrooms safe. Our country is barreling uncontrolled in the opposite direction. Blame the government. But that’s reality. 

There’s nothing even remotely low risk about bringing hundreds of kids from hundreds of households into a school building together. Not even close. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

With all due respect, **** that. You’re asking teachers to step into a working environment that could well be more dangerous for many of them than a soldier in war zone. 

This is the same as every other person in an industry that doesn’t do telework. What makes teachers lives more valuable than any of ours?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The solution is to control the outbreak and make classrooms safe. Our country is barreling uncontrolled in the opposite direction. Blame the government. But that’s reality. 

Fairfax County, where I currently reside, has leveled off. It’s not barreling anywhere where I live. Just cause some dumbass state 1,000 miles away can’t handle their **** doesn’t mean the whole country has to fall off too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

This is the same as every other person in an industry that doesn’t do telework. What makes teachers lives more valuable than any of ours?

They all works for hours in rooms full of kids they don’t know?

In my experience as a teacher, teachers are some of the whiniest professionals there are. Some of their complaints are well-founded, and others aren't.

I do think the average person doesn't fully grasp how difficult the job really is. On the other hand, I don't think most teachers have a fair sense of how difficult other jobs can be, just in different ways.

• Thanks 2

Just now, dfitzo53 said:

In my experience as a teacher, teachers are some of the whiniest professionals there are. Some of their complaints are well-founded, and others aren't.

I do think the average person doesn't fully grasp how difficult the job really is. On the other hand, I don't think most teachers have a fair sense of how difficult other jobs can be, just in different ways.

I'm pretty damn whiny, so this tracks. 

• Haha 6

Just now, Springfield said:

How many people are currently working in industries that have hundreds of people gathering together indoors in close proximity with a ****load of kids who can’t be reasonably expected to wear masks, wash their hands, etc? 

Kids who tend to have milder symptoms than adults so are more likely to be sent to school while contagious? It’s just about the worst environment I can imagine for spreading the virus. 

And guess what, as soon as that happens, schools are going back all virtual anyway. 

Another key consideration you all seem to be missing is it’s not just the teachers at risk. It’s parents and grandparents of these kids. 

• Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Do you supervise 30+ people who don't socially distance, follow health directions like wearing a mask, and are locked in a enclosed room with you? 

Edited by The Evil Genius

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Another key consideration you all seem to be missing is it’s not just the teachers at risk. It’s parents and grandparents of these kids. 

Good point.  If a child picks it up in the classroom there’s a good chance they might be giving it to their parents later.

In any case let’s all try be respectful of the danger and frustration everyone is going through on this.  No one on here wants people to get sick, and we all have our own concerns and fears about this.  It’s a ****ed up situation that no one should have to deal with, but here we are anyway.

Edited by visionary
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Do you supervise 30+ people who don't socially distance and are locked in a enclosed room with you? 

I manage an auto shop, so yes.

And also, you guys are exaggerating the numbers which is terrible for your argument. At least in FFX, the parents are given a choice between 2 days in/2 days virtual and 4 days virtual. So at worst, the class sizes will be split in half assuming everyone opts for in person instruction. But it’ll probably be more like 1/4 of the total students at once. So maybe 5-10 students per class?

(And I’m speaking strictly K for my county)

Edited by Springfield
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I mean, schools are pretty well-known as gross petri dishes of disease and pathogens, even under the best circumstances.  I am personally not of the opinion that a big building full of children who are not being physically separated or regularly tested has any chance of not turning into a hotbed of Covid within one month.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
shoddy grammar
  • Like 2

I don't know why every school district isn't planning to have a fully virtual learning environment set up and ready to go. Even if they open to 50% capacity most will be forced shutdown again unless we get the miracle this administration seems to be waiting on.

Do we even have the infrastructure in place school-based Covid-19 symptom screening, testing, contact tracing, and isolation. Or is our plan is just x number of students/teacher got it lets shut down again.

• Thanks 1

It all seems like a lot of hand-wringing over something that is going to be an issue for a month at most. The states will decide what happens, not Donald J Trump, and inevitably they will discover that in person teaching will do more harm than good and revert back to remote teaching. I don't need a crystal ball to tell you that. 

The lesson to be learned from this is that our president can't puff out his chest and threaten the states like a dictator. He got slapped down by the governors earlier in the pandemic for his authoritarian "I'm the captain now" BS and come November he will pay the price. 

Don't politicize public health. Don't politicize science. Don't politicize education. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The current proposal from my school system is to have the students grouped into cohorts that stay in a room together. If someone in a cohort tests positive, the whole cohort stays home. The school does not actually close though.

We'll see whether that plan survives the next few months.

• Thanks 1

How many of us with kids remember the number of times the entire family got sick when their child first went to school or daycare?  I am not talking about how often the kid got sick which usually goes up too. I mean how often did family members get sick?

As a father and a manager of people with young kids, I always tell new parents to expect to be sick 5 to 10 times the first year they have a kid in school because that seems about the norm. The difference now is what comes home with kid will likely be more than a sniffle or occasional stomach bug.   That is my concern with sending little kids to school. It may not kill them, but I have zero faith in their not spreading it. As a family w 3 out of 6 being high risk, it terrifies me.  It also terrifies me that our elementary school regularly doesnt even have soap in the bathrooms.  Petri dish indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

What we currently know? You mean based on all the testing that has been done?

That’s naive and no one here is suggesting we follow the presidents opinions on this. 

the aap was pretty clear in what they said.

29 minutes ago, visionary said:

So to those who have young kids, how good are they at following social distancing rules?

Not at all. I think that’s why they’re talking about rotating days and reducing school bus capacity

26 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

there’s also a difference between talking about this on the level that dumb meme works at, and talking about it the way most of us trying. 

I care deeply about the health of the teachers. They will be in the same ****ing room as my child. To pretend otherwise is idiotic. To do so at an attempt to be clever even moreso. 

• Thanks 1