Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskin Moment?

Dragon13

I was 6 and was watching a Redskins documentary with my dad, it was the first time he taught me about football, the rules and how the game is played

I remember John Riggins breaking that tackle and taking it the distance

I have that picture hung up in my room

Yeah I wasn't born yet, but that memory still lives on to this day

Watching the 1991 season SB, and after the game on sports center, they were going around asking when it was clear the Skins won the game, and Chris Berman said, “When they beat Detroit and they were here and had to be reckoned with.”  

That always stands out to me.  

The other is the Broncos SB. I remember the second quarter like it was yesterday 

Honestly, just the weekly ritual of family dinners at my Grandma’s. Family was originally RVA, came to the District during the Depression. My sweet southern Grandma, all 5 feet of her, swirling her whiskey rocks, talking about why Joe Washington was so great, and sniping “Oh, bull****” every time a call went against us. That’s the Skins to me. Hail.

8 hours ago, Dragon13 said:

I was 6 and was watching a Redskins documentary with my dad, it was the first time he taught me about football, the rules and how the game is played

I remember John Riggins breaking that tackle and taking it the distance

I have that picture hung up in my room

Yeah I wasn't born yet, but that memory still lives on to this day

4 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I’m kind of young, but not that young.  Younger than some here.  So I’ll say Monday Night Miracle.

That was a great one..I was at a sports bar  for that one..I was all over the place whoopin and hollering...

Discovering this place. Got to love ES.

My introduction to the game late 80’s. Listening to games on the armed forces radio network. Middle of the night playoff games over here. Even the defeats. Or Sunday evenings trying to get reception and scrawling the scores down. Been hooked ever since. No single memory. Just that whole early days era.

Edit- actually I’d say the 86/87 playoffs. I can vividly remember listening to our 19-7 victory over the Rams. The win at Soldier Field after that is probably my favourite victory ever, outside of a SB victory. Being shut out to the Giants. From memory awful performance in awful weather. Recall Jay S. missing a gimme TD strike on a bomb...I think...

I am going all the way back to 1972 after the playoff win over the Packers. The entire crowd stood and chanted "We want Dallas, we want Dallas" as the RFK stands literally shook. It was beat Dallas and go to their first Super Bowl which they did handily. That was the height of the 'Skins - Cowboys actual rivalry which lasted for many years after. Riggins's run in the second SB against the Dolphins might have been the biggest play but to me that "We want Dallas" was the moment that the Redskins became an NFL power for many years.

Just to be different. There was a ES get together at Dave & Busters in White Flint a number of years ago. I think @TK was there as was @Pez and @Huly. I met @gbear who became a great friend. It was three hours of football talk, bbq buffet, pool, arcade games and just chilling with people who loved the same time I do.

It was a good day, a great chance to put names to faces, and realize that even some of ES' biggest jerks can be pretty cool people. I don't know that we'll ever do anything like that again, but I kind of hope so. 

Here's to us. :cheers:

1 hour ago, FuriousD said:

For me it's hard to beat the 2nd quarter of Superbowl XXII for sheer exhilaration..

That was a great ride.  I was really worried when the Broncos came out early to grab the lead, but then the O just caught fire and made the game nothing but celebration. The final Superbowl in some ways was even sweeter. It was a coronation. Never a moment in that game to do anything but cheer. I worry during games. They didn't give me a second of anxiety it was three hours of party.

The 87 season was so special... The playoffs just are unmatched for me.

Bears at Soldier Field... Green's punt return

Vikings at RFK (I was there, unbelievable), goal line stand. 

2nd qtr of Super Bowl, nuff said

1) XVII: first SB win always the sweetest and unlike the other two wins, it was a great game, with Riggo on 4th and 1 being a lastic iconic moment

2) week before XVII, beating the Cowboys in the NFCCG. Was visiting family in DC and was just so awesome feeling the excitement of the city after the win.

3) getting sweet revenge on Philly in the wild card game at the Vet in early 91 and sending Buddy Ryan packing

4) for regular season games, beating the Cowboys in Dallas late in the 1983 season when both were 12-2 was huge. The win in Dallas the following year, coming back from a 21-6 halftime deficit, is probably one of the more underrated victories as well. 

My first trip to RFK.  1987 versus the Giants.  Rained most of the game.  Skins trailed 19-3 late in 3rd.  And then they came alive and so did the stadium.  Schroeder led a comeback win capped off by a TD pass to Ricky Sanders when the CB fell down.  

But my most vivid memory of that day was Dexter sacking Phil Simms near the goal line and dragging him a bit for added emphasis.  RFK erupted.  The place was rocking.

Great first live game.

Just random memory's going back to 85 to now

Jay Shroeder coming in after Joe T's horrific injury and torching the Giants

Doug Williams perfect quarter vs Denver in the SuperBowl

The 1991 season & the seat cushion game

Art Monk setting the record in 1992 on Monday Night Football

Gary Clark going to Arizona, Just broke my heart

Reggie Brooks, he had some 90 yard touchdown run verse philly ( i dont know why i remember this) 

Gibbs II

The Monday Night Miracle, Santana Moss & Sean Taylors hit on ...? To seal the game

RG111 2012 (What a wild ride)

Kirk Cousins.Respect #8 we may have never won a superbowl with you but we sure as hell were competitive and had a lethal passing game and in the Snyder era thats enough for me.

21 hours ago, LightningBuggs said:

My first trip to RFK.  1987 versus the Giants.  Rained most of the game.  Skins trailed 19-3 late in 3rd.  And then they came alive and so did the stadium.  Schroeder led a comeback win capped off by a TD pass to Ricky Sanders when the CB fell down.  

But my most vivid memory of that day was Dexter sacking Phil Simms near the goal line and dragging him a bit for added emphasis.  RFK erupted.  The place was rocking.

Great first live game.

i am retired and was driving for Uber. I once took a guy who went to 18 straight losses.  

I was born in 1977, so I watched and enjoyed Super Bowl XVII in 1982/83 but was a little young to experience and understand the day-in and day-out experience of a full NFL season. I really came of age with the Redskins in the mid-1980s and so the 1986 season was one of the first ones that I remember not missing a snap. I was convinced that we were going to beat the Giants in New York in the NFC Championship Game that year, but of course we didn't even score :)

That's all a lead-up to why this play was probably my favorite moment as a Redskin fan. We had to grind through the 1987 season and likely only had the seeding we did because of our scabs going 3-0. We needed to come back from a 14-point deficit in Chicago in the divisional round and were nip-and-tuck with the Vikings at RFK. One last drive for Minnesota had them on our doorstep and I was petrified that the game was going into OT until....

That was the first Super Bowl trip that I felt as a fan I had earned through my own blood, sweat, and tears. It's still my favorite of our Super Bowl seasons despite the clean and crisp 1991 team that was clearly more dominant and much better. 

Archived