Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

9 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

This is pretty much the worst case scenario for us if the board fell this way. But I dont think there is anyway not one single DL or edge gets picked in the top 18 picks. It just never happens. It is far more likely two or more of Barmore, Rousseau and Paye are gone before we pick IMO. 

If thats what it takes to have that beast in the middle of the field for us so be it. If both JOK and Parsons are there at 19 I am running Parsons name up to the podium. That combo of size, speed and playmaking ability is rare. 

I'm not. I think we have the right staff and a strong locker room, but something tells me that Parsons is use to always being the biggest strongest smartest guy in the room without having to earn anything and when he gets to the NFL if it doesn't come easy, he's going to become a problem like he has every single year since HS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm not. I think we have the right staff and a strong locker room, but something tells me that Parsons is use to always being the biggest strongest smartest guy in the room without having to earn anything and when he gets to the NFL if it doesn't come easy, he's going to become a problem like he has every single year since HS.

He seems to have gotten it at this point. But we will know on draft day if teams believe it by how far he falls. There is no denying he is a top 10 player in this draft class. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/lions/news/parsons-met-with-detroit-lions

"Honestly, people have concerns about the things that came up. I believe that I was a kid, you know, age 17 or 18. We all made mistakes when we were 17 or 18. I'm not going to let it control or dictate the person I am now," Parsons explained. 

He added, "Everyone's going to learn and grow. I'm pretty sure none of you are making the same mistakes when y'all were 17 or 18, or even 25. If someone is going to judge you over that, I'd rather not be in their program. I know the type of person I'm becoming. I know the type of father I'm becoming. That's all that matters to me. Anyone that is willing to accept my wrongs when I was wrong and accept my rights when I'm right -- I'm ready to go in and give it my all. If it's going to come down to something that I did in high school, or something I wish I could change, then I can only control what I can control -- what I do going forward. That's how I feel about it."

• Like 1

Josh Palmer rose to the occasion in the senior bowl and against top competition during the season.  Might be one of my favorites mid rounder type WRs (4th-5th round).  He doesn't really kill it as for any of his attributes but is a gamer and finds way to get things done.  He seems most comfortable catching the ball on the outside on the right -- that's typically the Z spot so he'd be a fit here.   He held his own against some of the top corners in this draft.    

Pros

Comes off like a gamer, plays big in big situations

Can deal with physical corners.  Can play through contact.  Heck in the SEC they seem to allow more contact for the CBs than I see in the NFL.

Did fine dealing with Surtain and Campbell/Stokes

Contested catch guy/can win with physicality

He's not very fast but fast enough -- was a deep threat.    Average depth per target one of the highest in the country

He performed well even with a crappy QB.  

Good ball tracking skills

Good body control

Strong and good hands

Played outside and slot and even saw him in the backfield.  Versatile 

Cons

Not a YAC guy

Not much as far of horizontal routes from what I watched.  Looks like he does a lot of go routes, fade routes, comeback routes.

Not sudden or shifty -- there is a stifness to him when you watch him ran

There is nothing that he's remarkable at doing -- there is nothing off the charts wow about his game but he's solid-good

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He seems to have gotten it at this point. But we will know on draft day if teams believe it by how far he falls. There is no denying he is a top 10 player in this draft class. 

"Honestly, people have concerns about the things that came up. I believe that I was a kid, you know, age 17 or 18. We all made mistakes when we were 17 or 18. I'm not going to let it control or dictate the person I am now," Parsons explained. 

He added, "Everyone's going to learn and grow. I'm pretty sure none of you are making the same mistakes when y'all were 17 or 18, or even 25. If someone is going to judge you over that, I'd rather not be in their program. I know the type of person I'm becoming. I know the type of father I'm becoming. That's all that matters to me. Anyone that is willing to accept my wrongs when I was wrong and accept my rights when I'm right -- I'm ready to go in and give it my all. If it's going to come down to something that I did in high school, or something I wish I could change, then I can only control what I can control -- what I do going forward. That's how I feel about it."

He’s undraftable  for me. By the way, that’s not taking responsibility in my opinion. That’s a lot of excuses. 

You know in addition to the bullying stuff in college he got kicked out of HS for yelling “gun!” in a crowded HS cafeteria when police were there. 

He’s a dumbass. He was a dumbass 18 year old, was a dumbass 20something, and will probably be a dumbass 30 year old whining about how the NFL did him wrong when he’s out of the league after various issues.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

That's such a non apology. He always seems to have some kind of drama around him. 

3 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

Already know this but...

Anyone know the record for QB's taken in the first 2 rounds of a draft?  Or first 3?

Cause 8 QB's is 25% of the NFL.  That seems like a lot.  Covid-19 somehow got everyone thinking differently.  Now every team has realized their QB situation wasn't good enough.  Normally it's just a few teams.

But Rams sending two 1st's to upgrade over Goff.  Lions deciding Stafford couldn't take that roster anywhere soon.  Colts rolling the dice on Wentz and likewise the Eagles thinking they couldn't salvage him.

Panthers wanting to ditch Bridgewater after 1 year.   Broncos thinking Lock isn't the goods.  Then the 8 other teams taking a QB in the first 2 days of the draft?  That's a lot of QB upheaval in one off-season.

Don't know if y'all follow Brett Kollmann on Youtube, but I enjoy his post (even if he does some commercials in the post).  I have especially enjoyed his "Draft prospects you've never heard of" series.

Here is his evaluation of Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, which includes how Notre Dame used him and some good fits for him in the NFL.

I apologize if this has been posted before.  Even if it has, check out his other posts, including the one on Tevin Jenkins.

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
spelling
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Do you Corman rated above Spencer Brown?

I would rate Brown ahead of Carman.  Brown isn't as good today, but he has higher potential.  From the sounds of things, he got shocked by the jump up in competition during Senior Bowl week but then started to settle in by the end and do his thing.  I think that'll be the story of his rookie year.  He wasn't challenged at UNI IMO.  He was a road grading hulk who got to fart around quite a bit, so there is a "you were a big fish in a small pond" wake up call waiting for him in the NFL.  But he will also be one of the best athletes at OT in the NFL and I think he has Eric Fisher-like potential if not Eric Fisher-like readiness.

I can't explain why, but I don't think the league is going to be too big for Brown.  I think he'd be one of the most interesting projects to hand over to Matsko, but I definitely wouldn't start him as a rookie.

Carman is a lot smaller than Brown and he might end up kicking inside.  He's a nice prospect with big game experience and versatility, but I wouldn't set my expectations as high for him.

• Like 1

Parsons is an absolutely horrible fit here.  He'd spend a couple of short stints in the doghouse before he gets cut.  I'm not in a hurry to repeat the Derrius Guice experience, and I can't see any way at all that Rivera drafts him given the fact he's the man with final say over personnel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

A cagey WFT brain trust being as clear as mud when interrogated on the WFTs signal caller intentions in the draft. Plenty of room for (mis)interpretation by the listener.

Goal of interview: reveal nothing and everything at the same time. Leave the impression that any action is possible while nothing is certain.

Mission accomplished.

Well played all around.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, seantaylor=god said:

Found this when I was cleaning my car. 2017 draft guide. Just shows you at the end of the day a lot of this is a crap shoot. Take a look at all of those bums.

E0974AAB-9417-4D7E-ACCB-79A57F5715A0.jpeg

Patrick Mahomes at 99, wow lol. Imagine thinking Josh Harvey-Clemons was better than Patrick Mahomes. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Haha 2

@Skinsinparadise I appreciate you posting that insightful story about how draft rooms work. So if successful teams keep their draft room as small as possible, what's realistically the smallest ours should be? To me it should be Snyder, Rivera, Hurney, and Mayhew obviously, but after that do people like Stokes/Gribble/Polian get involved in the draft room as well? 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

Man, this OT draft is INSANELY deep. We can probably get a legit starter at 74.

I was all-in on Sewell Slater Darrisaw and Jenkins. To a lesser extent, Cosmi, Mayfield and Eichenberg.

Jackson Carman is a big boy and I assume he kicks in to Guard, but him, the OT from Florida and Alex Leatherwood .... not to mention the big boy from UNI Brown ... this is a draft oozing with OT talent. Great draft to grab one ... whether it's at 19, 51. 74 or 82.

• Like 1