Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The more I think about Pitts, the more I want Brevin Jordan in the 2nd.   I know some draft geek types have him rated later.  But I don't care.  And a lot of those draft geeks were wrong about the value of some of the TEs i liked in the past who ended up going earlier than they expected.  I'd be surprised if Jordan escapes to the third and if he does I doubt he ends up in the late third at our pick. 

Jordan is a work in progress but he is fast for a TE and can seperate really well.  15.2 YPC.  9.4 Yards after the catch that's a sick number for a TE which even beat Pitts by a good number in that category.  I think that's the best among the TE's in this draft. 

I think part of that 9.4 after the catch is schemed up with screens, or play action where he slips the DE and catches the ball 5 yards behind the LoS before running with it.  He's fluid and fast for his size, there's stuff to like.

I'm not convinced he separates well or sets up routes well.  There are some routes he can do because he's fast and fluid, like speed outs.  But I haven't seen the wiggle or misdirection to let him separate against sticky coverage.  Against zones, or play action, or something like that, yeah, he'll create ample distance if the defense is over committing.  He's a natural seam threat.

I'm just not sure if that's the 2nd round.  I'd be comfortable in the 3rd.

• Like 1

Brevin Jordan won me over with that amazing play he made against Louisville where he jumped over the defender and dove for the pylon.  I love that athleticism paired with the mentality to be the hammer and not the nail.  But part of me thinks he's going to have injury issues in the NFL because of the way he runs and plays.

I think he is strong value in the second round.  I'm hoping for an OT at 51, but Jordan would be great too.

If we don't get Jordan, a nice consolation would be getting Granson on day three.  He's kind of the poor man's version of Jordan.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Brevin Jordan won me over with that amazing play he made against Louisville where he jumped over the defender and dove for the pylon.  I love that athleticism paired with the mentality to be the hammer and not the nail.  But part of me thinks he's going to have injury issues in the NFL because of the way he runs and plays.

I think he is strong value in the second round.  I'm hoping for an OT at 51, but Jordan would be great too.

If we don't get Jordan, a nice consolation would be getting Granson on day three.  He's kind of the poor man's version of Jordan.

I’m a Canes fan, and Brevin is a leader, athletic, has great hands and is a willing blocker. I’d be thrilled and we’d be lucky to have him in the 2nd or 3rd...

5 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’m a Canes fan, and Brevin is a leader, athletic, has great hands and is a willing blocker. I’d be thrilled and we’d be lucky to have him in the 2nd or 3rd...

If he’s on the board with our second pick you take him and run and run quickly.

”Willing” blocker is a good statement. And in college his blocking was better than Pitts. But it was still bad. He’s not a blocker. I view him the same as I view Pitts. Slot receiver that you try to develop into an H/in-line but, at least at the start, you leave in the slot and maybe a wing/H role occasionally but almost never in line.

And I, too, am a Canes guy.

• Like 4

On 2/12/2021 at 11:19 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched some Melinfonwu and like him.  Don't know the others.

Looks they are focusing on possibilities in rounds 3-5. Absolutely need a DB and edge around that area of the draft.

The edge guys to replace Kerrigan and Anderson. Cooper had a great Senior Bowl week and raised his stick. Either look like good backup/rotational players

Melinfonwu also raised his stock that week. Both of these guys are listed as corners but could be cb/s tweeners which fits.

Jones is a mauler with T and G experience. What I have read he has a lot of potential to eventually become a starting G

Like the grouping they met with!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Hokies and Yellowjackets for my FBS teams due to family loyalty.  But anyone else feel like that, over the years, they've stopped caring about the teams and watch the players instead?  It's been good for my sportsmanship, but it's getting to the point where I don't even have much of an emotional response during WFT games outside of getting excited when a good play happens.  Instead the anger tends to come for things happening at the FO level.  The long term game within the game.

Anyway, third round value on Jordan would be incredible since he'd still be a nice value pick at 51.  I'm sorting out my favorite options for us in the second, kind of comparing his value to some of the DBs, WRs, and Javonte Williams.  Not sure yet how I would rank them and it would depend on who we draft in the first, I just know that I like Jordan's value at 51.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Slot receiver that you try to develop into an H/in-line but, at least at the start, you leave in the slot and maybe a wing/H role occasionally but almost never in line.

A considerable weapon in that role, especially if he grows as a lead blocker on outside runs.  I really love this guy's toughness and his smooth hands.  Some of those passes from King were not easy to handle in stride like he does, especially the ones in traffic in middle zones and down the sideline.  There is no fear in Jordan's game. That aggression is a marker for potential stardom.

But my biggest concern with him is I get a feeling about his biomechanics that they will lead to chronic injuries long term when you combine them with his aggression.  He is a very leggy strider who does these full speed cuts in traffic where those legs become fully extended and there are bodies around.  It's like he's not coordinated enough to shorten his stride into cuts and have true open field wiggle in traffic, but he's so fast and powerful that he is used to being able to just run people over whether or not he shakes them, so that is the style he's developed and it's what he defaults to.  I feel like I see too many plays where his leg is planted and fully extended and his weight is centered way over the front of that knee and it makes me subconsciously cringe.  It's similar to the way Derrick Rose ran and cut and jumped.

It has kind of spooked me tbh.  Maybe it's nothing, but TE is such a brutal position that you might prefer a bigger TE with a more sustainable style of play even if they're much slower.

• Like 2

@stevemcqueen1 @KDawg agreed on all counts. Steve’s take on the injuries and Kdawgs blocking prowess thoughts all remind me that he’s not that big and more of a big slot instead of and in-line stud. The guy just isn’t that big at 6’3 245, so he has his limits..but he’s a gamer and is usually a problem for LB’s/S’s covering him. I think he can improve his blocking with improved technique and added strength, may help with injuries too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It really bugs me that we just aren't going to have a shot at Pits and he'll probably be an Eagle his entire career.

He's not required to sign a lifetime contract with Philly is he?  NOBODY of consequence is ever going to spend their entire career with one team because of the salary cap (except Chase Young because he's going to end up being The Man in his own hometown).  A smart team, that drafts and does FA wisely, will be in position to offer him more money at some point.  Plus, it's gotta be bad for your spiritual health to play your entire career in a city that boos Santa Claus.

17 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

He's not required to sign a lifetime contract with Philly is he?  NOBODY of consequence is ever going to spend their entire career with one team because of the salary cap (except Chase Young because he's going to end up being The Man in his own hometown).  A smart team, that drafts and does FA wisely, will be in position to offer him more money at some point.  Plus, it's gotta be bad for your spiritual health to play your entire career in a city that boos Santa Claus.

I figure Philly takes Chase/Smith over Pitts because Goedert is already there and is not a blocking TE anyways.  WR is a big need and Chase/Smith are elite prospects as well.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

One of the lingering questions about the draft, is whether Trevor Lawrence should get a haircut when he becomes a pro.

I know Kevin Harlan would say to him, "Cut your hair young man, and be a man !!!"

Has anybody done a deep dive on Justin Herbert's performance pre and post-haircut? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Philly is the greatest city on earth.

• Haha 1

On 2/13/2021 at 4:20 PM, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I'm not convinced he separates well or sets up routes well.  There are some routes he can do because he's fast and fluid, like speed outs.  But I haven't seen the wiggle or misdirection to let him separate against sticky coverage.  Against zones, or play action, or something like that, yeah, he'll create ample distance if the defense is over committing.  He's a natural seam threat.

I'm just not sure if that's the 2nd round.  I'd be comfortable in the 3rd.

I'd be surprised if he lasts to the third.  I don't care what some mocks say.  Like I've said they were wrong last year on a bunch of TEs.   It's been awhile since I've watched Jordan, I'll rewatch him again soon. 

He's fast and cuts so well for a TE, mismatch with LBs.  He seperates to me fine.  His strength IMO is finding the seam, catching shallow crosses, flat routes, quick outs, etc -- its the main plot for a TE typically. His best receiving grade from PFF is for the intermediate routes (10-19 yards).

If I had a beef with Jordan is he's not the most physical player and I am not just talking about blocking. 

He has the 2nd best yards per depth from PFF among TEs, only dude with a higher number was Pitts. 

YARDS PER ROUTE RUN

One of the most widely recognized PFF signature stats, yards per route run considers the amount of snaps a receiver runs a route as an eligible receiver against the amount of receiving yards he gains for a particular game or season. This metric identifies those receivers who are game-changers on every snap, rather than total receiving yards or total receptions, which may be buoyed by a monster performance such as a 10-catch game or a 200-yard receiving outing.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be surprised if he lasts to the third.  I don't care what some mocks say.  Like I've said they were wrong last year on a bunch of TEs.   It's been awhile since I've watched Jordan, I'll rewatch him again soon. 

He's fast and cuts so well for a TE, mismatch with LBs.  He seperates to me fine.  His strength IMO is finding the seam, catching shallow crosses, flat routes, quick outs, etc -- its the main plot for a TE typically. His best receiving grade from PFF is for the intermediate routes (10-19 yards).

If I had a beef with Jordan is he's not the most physical player and I am not just talking about blocking. 

He has the 2nd best yards per depth from PFF among TEs, only dude with a higher number was Pitts. 

YARDS PER ROUTE RUN

One of the most widely recognized PFF signature stats, yards per route run considers the amount of snaps a receiver runs a route as an eligible receiver against the amount of receiving yards he gains for a particular game or season. This metric identifies those receivers who are game-changers on every snap, rather than total receiving yards or total receptions, which may be buoyed by a monster performance such as a 10-catch game or a 200-yard receiving outing.

How about this?  A lot of prospects like him will likely need the right fit/scheme to succeed.  With that?  He's a good pick in the 2nd.  Without that, he needs a bit more to overcome awkward environments.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

How about this?  A lot of prospects like him will likely need the right fit/scheme to succeed.  With that?  He's a good pick in the 2nd.  Without that, he needs a bit more to overcome awkward environments.

Sure, though like you said a lof of prospects needs to find a fit.  My point is he moves unusually well for a TE.   TE's typically don't have his kind of explosion and speed.  He's more of an H-back styllstically than a Y. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise