Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That third tier is probably bigger than just those three.  I haven't finished watching Mayfield, Carman, and Radunz yet and I want to go back over Vera-Tucker again to try and understand why everyone is so high on him.

Of that third tier, I don't think Jenkins will be the one who falls.  His film is very good, he should measure well, and I could see him getting drafted in the 20s.  There are so many lock down reps and pancake blocks in that film that it's exciting to watch, and it's hard to ding him for athleticism too much when he's doing so much splashy winning.  That said, dominating Big 12 defenders as a RT in a fairly run dominant offense isn't the same as what Cosmi and Eichenberg had to do.  But he excelled at dominating what was on his plate more than they did.  He is very Jack Conklin-esque (although Conklin played LT at Michigan St IIRC) and feels like a safe bet to be a really good NFL RT. 

I go back and forth on who I like more for us between Eichenberg and Cosmi, as I really like both prospects.  Eichenberg is a better run blocker and a more consistent player and Cosmi is a better athlete.  Part of me thinks get Eichenberg and a big blocking TE and a power back and just go wholly run dominant on offense.  But Cosmi is also a really good schematic fit for us and at his peak, I think he'll be a better pass-blocker. 

I hope you're right that he's the one who is available to us at 51.  If he makes it to the 40s, I don't think I'd chance waiting on him to drop.  Same for Eichenberg.  I would trade up for both once they reach that range.  I'm kind of losing hope for getting Owusu-Koromoah late in round one or in round two due to his consistent high mock draft position.  So my new favorite trade down scenario is to move back in the first, get Etienne or Najee Harris (who has frequently been mocked in the second round), and then use some of that trade down ammo to go up in the second and get Cosmi or Eichenberg.  Lay the foundation for a run dominant offense, see what we have in Kyle Allen and Taylor Heinecke for the year, and then if they are a mirage, focus on getting a QB in 2022 after we've already put a dominant support group in place.

I actually like Eichengerg slightly more than Cosmi but based on what I have seen from Turners offiense I feel like Cosmi is the better fit. Your suggestion of Eich and good blocking TE sounds awesome. I am still going to hope for a Collins/Cosmi one two punch in the first two rounds. The third taking grabbing a slot and DB. I am assuming at least one WR, DB and LB will be addressed in FA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

To Steve, I think Eich, Cosmi and Jenkins would easily fall mid to late first rounds on many past drafts. The strength of this draft from the late first to the the mid second even to the third is amazing.

It's strong in OTs and edges, which tend to be first round positions.  Four first round QBs is also a little more than usual.  Very strong in receivers but not as strong as last year, especially once you get past the top four, but those top four are blue chippers.  Lot of good little slot types too.  Looks pretty good and deep at safety but only one true blue chipper at that position.  Corner is weak, much more so than last year.   RB and LB have very appealing top end prospects but are otherwise very thin.  IDL and IOL are the opposite.  No unicorns but a lot of day two and early day three quality.  And TE is better than usual and has three star caliber athletes at the top of the class, each of whom are head and shoulders better than the TEs from last year.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's strong in OTs and edges, which tend to be first round positions.  Four first round QBs is also a little more than usual.  Very strong in receivers but not as strong as last year, especially once you get past the top four, but those top four are blue chippers.  Lot of good little slot types too.  Looks pretty good and deep at safety but only one true blue chipper at that position.  Corner is weak, much more so than last year.   RB and LB have very appealing top end prospects but are otherwise very thin.  IDL and IOL are the opposite.  No unicorns but a lot of day two and early day three quality.  And TE is better than usual and has three star caliber athletes at the top of the class, each of whom are head and shoulders better than the TEs from last year.

How do you rank your TE’s? 

11 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I've seen him mentioned a few times in here but...

I need to cool my jets on Tremble and be patient.  But targeting him in the 3rd round is my vote.  Him plus Logan Thomas is going to be a great TE tandem.  Scott Turner (or any competent OC) would go bananas with the misdirection possibilities.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m taking this mom in the 6/7 slot for special teams and a potential nickel LB.

Notice she knew she had help on the outside (the woman in the grass) so she instinctively knew her assignment was the street.  That's awareness right there.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

In the second round, you have Richie Grant, Nasirildeen, and Jabril Cox available.  Which one do you take?

Assuming we don't go with Collins in the 1st, I'd take Cox there. 

I like Grant a lot, too, but I'd favor the LB. Nasirildeen is behind Grant because of injury history. 

Cox looks like a LB with a lot of potential. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a sucker for tall corners with long arms like him.    A bit raw.  2nd round?    I think my favorite for the 2nd round assuming they drop is Elijah Moore or Brevin Jordan. 

I think Matt Miller had Brevin Jordan falling all the way to our pick in the 4th round.

Anyone have any Clemson pro day numbers for athletic testing and measurements?  When I Google they only talk about the QB

16 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I think Matt Miller had Brevin Jordan falling all the way to our pick in the 4th round.

Anyone have any Clemson pro day numbers for athletic testing and measurements?  When I Google they only talk about the QB

Yeah I've seen Jordan everywhere between the 2nd and 4th.   I like him.  He moves well for a TE.  He's not Kyle Pitts but is probably my favorite pass catching TE after him. 

15.2 YPC. 7 TDs, 9.3 yards after catch per reception -- last year.   He's not the best blocker but he's not a train wreck either on that front.  Just looked up his PFF run blocking score, which is 62.5

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've watched some Melinfonwu and like him.  Don't know the others.

Interesting that we are looking so heavily at CB and edge. Obviously could just signal that we are losing Kerrigan. I wonder if there could be a hint hiding in there that we are considering moving Montez as part of a QB trade. 

38 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Interesting that we are looking so heavily at CB and edge. Obviously could just signal that we are losing Kerrigan. I wonder if there could be a hint hiding in there that we are considering moving Montez as part of a QB trade. 

Hypothetically, I’d say if we traded Montez then Kerrigan re-signs.