Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Ron said he isn't even close to reaching his ceiling, I love hearing coaches say things like that because it means they actually want to coach him up and get him there. We may be on the wrong side of a CB run, but there might be some good safeties available at 51. It's really hard to get a gauge on where this team feels like the holes are, I'm getting the feeling they think our OL is better than most think it is. I'm not seeing a lot of holes on the roster, just areas that could use an upgrade. 

There will be good safeties going in every round this year. It was one of the deeper position groups and all of them are still available.  Corner, QB, WR, and edge got raided, but it actually kept the OL group surprisingly intact.  I think OL is likely where the most value resides in the middle of rounds two and three.  There are many day one starters at OL still on the board.

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

We are so screwed behind proportions. Like you don’t know how bleak our future is.

We’re going into a weak QB class next year, but  on top of that, the Eagles and Cowboys will have 5 firsts between the two, meaning more opportunities to block us from getting our QB of the future ASSUMING that there’s anyone worth trading up for in range. We also have reason to believe Ron won’t do a big trade up even next year

The honeymoon was fun while it lasted. Ron is just another Bruce Allen as a manager. The dark days are ahead and will last for a while.

Isn't it awfully early to be drunk posting? 😄

I'm wondering if we consider trading up in the 2nd to target a particular guy, there is some seriously good talent sitting there.

Going from all the rumours I suspect we go QB in the 2nd. I think I would prefer Mills, based on this board's excellent analysis, so let's see.

3rd round I definitely want a TE, happy to get some form of secondary help with the other 3rd rounder.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

Davis was definitely not my first choice, but MLB was. I've never really looked into Davis, but big, fast LBer in the middle has really been our biggest hole on defense for years. It's not a position that becomes available in FA. I can easily get excited about Jamin.

Nor mine.  But it's not hard to talk myself into the pick.  It's about fit really.  He's a really clean fit here, and the more I think about it, the more I think he'll start day one.  There won't be any barriers to his success in DC.  Right coaching staff, right scheme, right opportunity, right surrounding talent.

I also think personality plays a major role in decisions like this.  Specifically for LBer and Safety.  These guys must be leaders.  That's your defensive heart, and Holcomb will never be that dude IMO.  That's what separates us from the truly elite D's that led their teams to the SB.  Didn't have a Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David or Luke Kuechly/Thomas Davis setting the standard.  A first round MLB with high character is an honest attempt to fix that issue.

8 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I'm wondering if we consider trading up in the 2nd to target a particular guy, there is some seriously good talent sitting there.

We should just let the draft come to us.  There will still be excellent talent available at 51.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Nor mine.  But it's not hard to talk myself into the pick.  It's about fit really.  He's a really clean fit here, and the more I think about it, the more I think he'll start day one.  There won't be any barriers to his success in DC.  Right coaching staff, right scheme, right opportunity, right surrounding talent.

I also think personality plays a major role in decisions like this.  Specifically for LBer and Safety.  These guys must be leaders.  That's your defensive heart, and Holcomb will never be that dude IMO.  That's what separates us from the truly elite D's that led their teams to the SB.  Didn't have a Bobby Wagner or Lavonte David or Luke Kuechly/Thomas Davis setting the standard.  A first round MLB with high character is an honest attempt to fix that issue.

We should just let the draft come to us.  There will still be excellent talent available at 51.

I completely agree. I assumed Davis was getting draft hyped up the board. I think if Zaven had made it to us, he may have been the pick. Ron knows he needs two things, a leader in the middle on both sides. The QBs didn't come to us this year and LBer did. We can polish up our defense and get that completely humming for a few years and then the lumps we take from having a young QB the next few years won't hurt so bad. I'm trying to look at this as finishing touches on a multi year build. Last year was evaluating what was here. I fully expect a TE today. I'd guess FS and OT as well. I also don't think were done at LBer.

I guess if you like defense you are gonna be a fan of the football team.... I know you don’t generally want to draft for need, but there weren’t some offensive weapons that were just as good at number 19? We aren’t going to win a lot of games if we can’t score 20 points.... I don’t see an LB helping us do that.

will see how fitz does but he is kinda like playing the slots. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/04/30/ron-rivera-not-trading-up-for-qb-was-better-direction-for-us/

Washington selected linebacker Jamin Davis and Rivera explained the team’s thinking in a press conference after that selection.

“Well, we just felt looking at where we are right now with what we’re doing to be patient to sit and wait to see what happens, we felt strong about that,” Rivera said. “This isn’t just about one piece, we have a chance to put pieces into place and we felt that a better direction, at least I felt that’s a better direction for us right now.”

General Manager Martin Mayhew said “there are some very talented quarterbacks” still on the board heading into the second round, but that the team remains comfortable with the players they have at the position and will follow their board the rest of the way.

57 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I made the case on this thread weeks back and took some arrows for it here 😀, Jamin IMO was a better fit for this defense than Zaven.

Teams kills us with outside zone at times and RB screens.  We got beat on the edges in the flat.  IMO Jamin is the best LB in the box has for lateral speed.  Modern day sideline to sideline run stopper.  Better tackler IMO in open field than Zaven.  Jamin brings his guys down and doesn't miss tackles much.

He plays with fire on the field-oomph-energy that feeds into Chase's style among others on the D line. 

As I've said I think we couldn't lose with Zaven/Jamin/JOK in one variable which IMO they were all good at.  That it, rushing the passer. 

And for those here (not you) who said yawn who cares if our LBs can rush the passer -- apparently Del Rio does considering how often he uses his LBS to do it but without them getting home.  Jamin will get it home and get some sacks IMO -- not on the level on Devin White but he might not be a mile off either.  And likely much better at it than Holcolmb and Bostic was. 

He was definitely your guy. Military background, high character, high energy dog with insane speed and prototype size. Perfect fit.

Sky is the limit and we actually have our MLB. Easy sell for me to be excited about. No reason he can't become a DROTY candidate. 

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I guess if you like defense you are gonna be a fan on the skins.... I know you don’t generally want to draft for need, but there weren’t some offensive weapons that were just as good at number 19? We aren’t going to win a lot of games if we can’t score 20 points.... I don’t see an LB helping us do that.

I'm an optimist, but I don't know that that's the case. McClaurin, Samuel, Logan Thomas, Gibson... that's a lot of fire power and speed on offense. As far as QB goes, just this year, Fitz has proven aggressive and a good distributor. Beyond him, Heinicke went toe to toe with Tom Brady with both McClaurin and Gibson injured. On paper, we're much better on offense. So while we certainly have long term questions at QB, I think the offense is looking okay this year.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As I made the case on this thread weeks back and took some arrows for it here 😀, Jamin IMO was a better fit for this defense than Zaven.

Teams kills us with outside zone at times and RB screens.  We got beat on the edges in the flat.  IMO Jamin is the best LB in the box has for lateral speed.  Modern day sideline to sideline run stopper.  Better tackler IMO in open field than Zaven.  Jamin brings his guys down and doesn't miss tackles much.

He plays with fire on the field-oomph-energy that feeds into Chase's style among others on the D line. 

As I've said I think we couldn't lose with Zaven/Jamin/JOK in one variable which IMO they were all good at.  That it, rushing the passer. 

And for those here (not you) who said yawn who cares if our LBs can rush the passer -- apparently Del Rio does considering how often he uses his LBS to do it but without them getting home.  Jamin will get it home and get some sacks IMO -- not on the level on Devin White but he might not be a mile off either.  And likely much better at it than Holcolmb and Bostic was. 

We can't say with certainty that the staff felt Jamin was a better fit than Zaven, because Zaven was selected first, so WFT had no chance at him. And I think Zaven's selection so early was a surprise to most - I had not typically seen him mocked so early or to the Cardinals - and also a validation that NFL teams saw and appreciated his instincts, movement and big play ability on tape.

I would have been more enthusiastic about a Zaven selection, but at least I don't have to be bitter about it because in reality he wasn't an available option.

I went to sleep shortly after our pick was made. Catching up, unless I missed it, it looks like JOK was not selected in the first round. I'm a bit surprised. I was really intrigued by his coverage ability and speed at linebacker. In this era of pass catching tight ends and running backs who are really wide receivers, I thought he'd be a hot choice.

Yeah, in retrospect, the surprises of the first round vis-a-vis the players we have been typically following or linked with are that:

1) JOK was not selected by us and not selected at all in round one, when literally 4 out of 5 local journalists predicted he would be our pick

2) Darrisaw not only lasted until pick 19, but a good 4 picks past that. Most predicted he'd be gone by our pick. There was no OT run beyond the obvious first two.

3) Zaven went earlier than expected.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

#1 ranked D player by our team.

If you believe that, I also own a bridge in New York that's on the market.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

#1 ranked D player by our team.

If that is the case, we have to take that as face value and root for this guy to succeed. This staff has been very good at evaluating LB's on other teams. I hope that is the case.

What we can say for sure is that the team felt JD was a better fit for this D than JOK, which is interesting and understandable, even though JOK looks like a great player to me. 

Not gonna lie, I am hoping we get Mills, though I would have preferred in the third round. Which teams are we competing with for the next QB selection? I kept hearing Chicago and NE were also high on Mills, but he has to be off their boards at this point. Would anyone feel like the pressure is off the QB position enough that you risk trying to wait to the third round to get him?

The approach I assume we take is ... load up on some positions of need and try again at the QB market next year. A lot of teams have solved their QB holes. I presume unless Darnold or Goff plays really well this year that Detroit and Carolina will be in the QB game next year. Probably Pittsburgh and New Orleans. Denver of course if they don’t land Rodgers. 

There will always be teams with QB needs but we should at least be top of the list for any veteran QB acquisition if shoes drop before the season. And likely near the top after the season. 

@Rolo Tomasie no pressure. Maybe Pittsburgh or NO go QB but I doubt it. No one else really needs QB enough to get him in R2. And there’s also Trask who could go too. I’m not feeling rushed to take a QB or a need to take one at all. And reading the comments from Keim I doubt we go QB. 

Also the team viewing Jamin Davis as a MLB is pretty substantial. It likely means if we go LB again it’s more in the line of WLB. But that’s what Collins will likely play. And Hudson. And Harvey-Clemons 

My thoughts after sleeping on the pick. Davis has the athleticism you look for in a 1st round LB. By all accounts he is a hard worker. Maybe once he learns to watch film like a pro his diagnosis skills will improve. He does have benefit of playing behind a beast DL. JDR will figure out ways to simplify his role this season as well. I still think he was a reach in the 1st. But we clearly didn't like JOK as a 1st round LB. Along with the rest of the league apparently. We addressed a glaring hole in our roster. I am fine with it. 

I think Davis is a fantastic fit for us.

His athleticism is off the charts and he was also really productive last year, averaging 10 tackles a game. And it wasn’t on a defense where he was the only good player and racked up meaningless stats, it was a big time defense and he made big plays.

He needs some coaching and experience to hone his instincts. But he is coming to a great defense with some of the best defensive teachers in all of the NFL in Del Rio and Rivera, and he is by all accounts a great person and a hard worker. I don’t expect him to have huge success initially (although he could) but I think he grows into an elite player and leader of our LB corps.

Conversely, Parsons is a terrible fit for Dallas. Dallas’ defense is awful, and he will be one of the most talented players on it immediately. He’s boisterous and Uber-talented, so he will fill a leadership role for them. The problem is he’s a toxic leader, as you can see from his past at PSU, where his immediate impulse when put in a leadership position was to bully others and set up a “prison rules” type of mess. 

In addition, he doesn’t take responsibility, so when the Dallas defense performs poorly he will point fingers and further erode the team.

He’s very talented, so in their first year it wouldn’t shock me if he makes some splash plays and gets Dallas fans excited, but I would bet in 2 years Davis is the better player and Dallas’ defense is a mess.

Archived