Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for the bigger receivers, Terry is a hard guy for me to make out.  He's another guy along with Grimes who I'd call a poor man's Terrace Marshall/Nico Collins as far as skill set.  i don't like that he regressed last season.  The two seasons prior he hovered around 20 YPC.  He has a good catch radius and can run.  I think I like Grimes better -- they have similar profiles.   

I'd be on board with dropping picks on both Terry and Terrace Marshall. I feel it has a lot of merit purely from a playbook perspective. Can you imagine lining up Tamorrion Terry, Terry McLaurin and Terrace Marshall - It's a D-coordinator's nightmare. 

(Opposition) DCoord - "Right DB1, you're covering Terry"

DB1 - "Terry or Terrace?!"

DCoord - "Terry!"

DB1 - "OK sure" **Gets into position***

DCoord - "NO, not that Terry, the other Terry"

DB2 "So who am I covering?"

DCoord "DB1, you're on the other Terry, DB2 you cover Terry"

DB2 "So which Terry am I covering?! I'm confused"

DCoord - "It doesn't matter, they just hit a 48 yard pass whilst we were working it out.... so on the next play, DB1 you cover Terry"

DB1 "Which Terry?!"

DCoord "No, I said Terrace"

Result. Superbowl.

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

We shouldn’t draft a QB in the second. 1st (trade up) or 4-7th.

totally agree.

even if we trade up, I hope we can hold onto this years day 2 picks by trading the extra picks from 2022, say #19 this year plus a first and whatever else from 2022.

so much talent and value there for us this year with picks 2,3,3 which makes a QB selection day 2 a bit of a reach/luxury pick we should avoid.

17 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I really want to punt the first this year for a first next year, then use next year and this year's Second to move back into the back of the first.

Then I think it's Harris, Moehrig, Collins for me still.

I'm out on day two QBs.

That's a creative way of getting around the problem of our bad second round picks.

Just watched episode 2 of Hey Rookie, saw episode 1 last week:  they follow Jaycee Horn, Justin Fields, Micah Parsons, Kyle Pitts around.

My amateur/small sample take on their personaities.

Micah Parsons:  he actually reminds me personality wise of his mentor Lavarr Arrington.  He's got a lot of energy, big time extrovert.   He definitely doesn't come off like a dummy from an intellect standpoint, he's probably the most articulate one in that group.  Very competitive with the 4 of them, wants to beat Fields for example at the 40, etc.

Jaycee Horn:  comes off dead serious about his craft.  His dad who played in the NFL seems to be hands on with his career.  Has some personality but nothing like Parsons

Justin Fields:  he's a low key guy, admits he's an introvert, comes off like the nicest guy of this group, comes off super serious and eager to please

Kyle Pitts:  seems quiet, nice guy but with an ego

11 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Not sure why my gut has changed, but based on some Of the smoke out there, I really do think if Lance/Fields is at pick 7 we are moving up to draft one of them. 

The week before the draft there's always a lot of smoke but there a few pretty certain things:

RR really wants the future QB on the team and the only way that is going to happen is to get one of the top 5 (which I am not a huge fan of). If they can't do that I hope they do not go QB at all or at least until late day 3 as a future backup.

1 LT of the future is wanted and they would need to select one before pick 51. WFT needs to commit to the OL through the early draft for a change as they need quality especially if Scherff is out next year.

1 TE that can contribute this year so need to select them between 2-4 rounds

1 RB could be had in the 3-5 rounds

1 WR could be had in the 3-5 rounds

2 LB's needed but must at least upgrade MLB by the 3rd round.

1 FS needed and 2nd round is best spot but could grab one in the 3rd or 4th

1 LS the must get a LS, do they burn a late day 3 pick on one?

Yes the can also use interior OL and DL, edge and CB.

IMO they need to seriously think trade back from 19 staying in the 1st and taking a LT and getting another day 2 pick

I'm kind of sensing there is momentum to Horn going to Dallas over Surtain (if both were available).  Was listening to Lombardi and he said Dan Quinn's best friend in football is the South Carolina Head coach.  He said that NFL coaches realize that Alabama DBs are so good (at the college level) because they are coached by Saban (whose expertise is DB play and can mask potential athletic issues) (he himself admitted they made a mistake in drafting Cyrus Jones in the 3rd round because of this).    

14 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

No way...with all due respect and I mean all due...how do we know this dude is the real deal..I dont like trading away the future for a qb

If Lance went back for his R-Jr season at NDSU he’d be the #1 pick next year. So you’re basically trading 19/82/1st for the right to get him in a year early. 

Lance is the real deal. And WFT is the spot for him because we have Fitz for at least one year. You can use Lance in packages in 2021 but otherwise have 0 pressure for him to be the guy out of the gate. Where he will likely fail is going to a team where he starts day 1. Fortunately there aren’t any teams where that’s the case, so I think he will be successful. 

I saw Lance live in Frisco for the FCS title game. JMU had a historically good defense. Lance as a freshman had JMU on the ropes. Every time they’d make a stop and force a 3 and long, Lance would bust out some 30 yard run on a broken play. Or hit an 9 yard out on 3 and 8. Absolutely back breaking. 

14 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

No way...with all due respect and I mean all due...how do we know this dude is the real deal..I dont like trading away the future for a qb

You never fully know though tater. Wilson is the QB I would feel most comfortable betting my job on if I were a GM but you do have to take a leap of faith if you want a top tier QB. I agree with the notion of trading up in the 1st or waiting until the mid rounds to select one. I think Lance is worth the risk though too. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Micah Parsons:  he actually reminds me personality wise of his mentor Lavarr Arrington.  He's got a lot of energy, big time extrovert.   He definitely doesn't come off like a dummy from an intellect standpoint, he's probably the most articulate one in that group.  Very competitive with the 4 of them, wants to beat Fields for example at the 40, etc.

Parsons is a dog and would thrive in our locker room. Imagine him and Young together. That'd be our version of Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp. A championship foundation for the next decade.

35 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I'm kind of sensing there is momentum to Horn going to Dallas over Surtain (if both were available).  Was listening to Lombardi and he said Dan Quinn's best friend in football is the South Carolina Head coach.  He said that NFL coaches realize that Alabama DBs are so good (at the college level) because they are coached by Saban (whose expertise is DB play and can mask potential athletic issues) (he himself admitted they made a mistake in drafting Cyrus Jones in the 3rd round because of this).    

Surtain might not be the athlete Horn is but he's just so clean and polished and technically sound. He just has the look and feel of a 10 year starter who makes a few Pro Bowls.

Horn is physical as hell but without good coaching he'll end up being a Bashaud Breeland type who gets penalized a bunch.

I'd much rather Dallas draft Horn. I feel like McLaurin and Samuel would victimize him regularly. Surtain is gonna be rock solid for a decade.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Parsons is a dog and would thrive in our locker room. Imagine him and Young together. That'd be our version of Derrick Brooks and Warren Sapp. A championship foundation for the next decade.

Surtain might not be the athlete Horn is but he's just so clean and polished and technically sound. He just has the look and feel of a 10 year starter who makes a few Pro Bowls.

Horn is physical as hell but without good coaching he'll end up being a Bashaud Breeland type who gets penalized a bunch.

I'd much rather Dallas draft Horn. I feel like McLaurin and Samuel would victimize him regularly. Surtain is gonna be rock solid for a decade.

IMO Parsons and Surtain are the only defensive players worthy of being a top 10 pick.

I like the Bucs comparison! If WFT only made one defensive pick and it was Parsons the defense would look substantially better. He could solidify the rest of the parts. There is not another single player in the draft that could do that. they could bring in a Boston at FS although it is evident they do not love him and really want to bring in a top 4 round guy.

Horn will probably get penalized a lot regardless of the coach but yes needs good coaching behind him. He will be a much better player than Bree could ever be.

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

IMO they need to seriously think trade back from 19 staying in the 1st and taking a LT and getting another day 2 pick

I'm in near agreement. I think the best approach (if we don't trade up) is to trade BACK about10-12 picks, maybe stay in Round 1. Some offers I have received in the simulators are from the Chiefs or Bucs to get to #19 for a WR. Add a late 2 or a 3rd. Maybe a future pick if we want to prioritize loading up in 2022.

Even trade would be 32 and 64 from Tampa. 31 and 63 from KC. Or 32 and a 2022 2nd. MAYBE a 1st if you can squeeze them for one from them if the right guy is there. Anyway, let's assume 1+2. You have 1,2,2,3,3,4, 5 ...

Grab OT, TE, LB, FS, IOL, DE, RB/WR in no particular order. Of course, two OL would be a bonus. I'd prefer to have that over a flier at WR when I thnk our WR group is already young with upside. Could use a RB to upgrade from Barber/Miller but not a need. But I agree, my approach would be to add another 2 or 3 and get another young player before going all-in on QB next year.

BUT, I'm just reading into some of what Robbie Duncan is saying. I love his takes on twitter, former OL for ODU and a big WFT fan. Breaks down some film on OL too. He really likes Stone Forsythe in Round 3 or 4 as a developmental LT for us. But otherwise he likes Schweizer at LG for the next 2 years. THinks Charles will push Lucas at LT. So the OL is really set as is. You can never have too many OL, but from what he is saying, he doesn't think it's an urgent need early per se, and I kind of agree. Of course you take Darrisaw if he is there at #19 and let the OL work itself out in camp, but it's not a huge need. And maybe instead of trying to get a Day 1 starter at LT in Round 1 or 2 in a trade down you go elsewhere, and come back to OT in the 3rd or 4th.

It seems like the FO wants to add a DB ... probably a FS in the draft ... plus 1 to 2 LBs.

TE is something you need to address one way or another, whether this year or next year, but the beat guys have said they like the other TEs on the roster and we did add Reyes who has very raw but huge upside. So while i'd like to see us go TE earlier in the draft, if we don't address it at all, I'll trust that the FO knows what they have on the roster.

@DWinzit for example.

*Trade 1.19 and 3.74 to Buffalo for 1.30, 2.61 and 3.93

*Trade 5.163 and 7.246 to Minnesota for 4.134

1.30: Trevon Moehrig, FS TCU

2.51: Pat Freiermuth, TE PSU

2.61: Pete Werner, LB OSU

3.82: Stone Forsythe, OT Florida

3.93: Trey Sermon, RB OSU

4.124: Trey Smith, OG Tennessee

4.134: Elerson Smith, DE Northern Iowa

7.244: Cornell Powell, WR Clemson

Alternatively, based on what I've been sensing:

*Trade 1.19, 3.82, '22 1st to Detroit for 1.7

1.7: Trey Lance, QB NDSU

2.51: Jabril Cox, LB LSU

3.74: Brevin Jordan, TE Miami

4.124: Caden Sterns, FS Texas

5.163: Khalil Herbert, RB VT

7.244: Tarron Jackson, DE Coastal

7.246: Tamorrion Terry, WR FSU

The only OL I'm taking in round 1 is Darrisaw(barring something crazy like Sewell dropping). I'd consider a small move up to secure him(wouldn't give up more than a 4th)but that's it.

For LB I want Parsons(would trade up as much as one of our 3rds to secure him)or Jamin Davis(only if we trade down). Otherwise, wait till middle rounds for LB.

Its looking more and more like we should either trade up or trade down. The value at 19 just doesn't seem to be there unless someone shockingly drops but even if someone is falling, someone else will scoop em up anyway.

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The only OL I'm taking in round 1 is Darrisaw(barring something crazy like Sewell dropping). I'd consider a small move up to secure him(wouldn't give up more than a 4th)but that's it.

I was all for adding Jenkins or AVT, but I think you're right. We are set at Guard in 2021. We can always address the hole of Scherff leaving by drafting next year. I want to add an IOL in the 3rd or 4th but not a priority. As for OT, Lucas is solid in 2021 and will be pushed by Charles who very well could be our long term solution at LT.

Schweizer and Moses at LG and RT could be replaced or upgraded long-term, but both are on fairly team-friendly deals for 2 more years. So yeah, if Darrisaw is there you grab him and explore shifting Charles to the right side or Guard. But that's a luxury and not a need, and agree you kind of kick the OT can down to the midrounds for a more developmental prospect if you miss on Darrisaw.

22 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@DWinzit for example.

*Trade 1.19 and 3.74 to Buffalo for 1.30, 2.61 and 3.93

*Trade 5.163 and 7.246 to Minnesota for 4.134

1.30: Trevon Moehrig, FS TCU

2.51: Pat Freiermuth, TE PSU

2.61: Pete Werner, LB OSU

3.82: Stone Forsythe, OT Florida

3.93: Trey Sermon, RB OSU

4.124: Trey Smith, OG Tennessee

4.134: Elerson Smith, DE Northern Iowa

7.244: Cornell Powell, WR Clemson

That would be a successful draft and great way of adding strength to the picks. :cheers:

We all have our own thoughts.

I think I would flip TE and T. As much as I really like Freier I would grab a LT at 51 and TE at 82 with Brevin or Tremble

Also I would take advantage of the strong WR class at 124 or 134. There a number of quality players available in that range.

31 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Have your draft wants changed since the end of the season? Has your dream pick changed?

Great question...

It has for me.  I was wanting to move up for one of the QBs.  Now Im dreaming about Parsons sliding to us or taking an OT like Darrisaw.  I get the importance of the QB position but the chances (IMO) of hitting on who we could possibly trade up for (and paying out the nose to do so) aren't great based on history.  For this reason I like the idea of a near guarantee of improving the team by taking a Blue chip LB or OT.   Parsons, Collins or JOK fills a weak spot in our D for a decade.

I feel like with Parsons we could be a legit top 5 D this year and with Fitzpatrick the offense should put up ~24 PPG. We could have a really fun 11-6 type season without the burden of "WILL THEY PLAY THE ROOKIE QB" after every bad Fitzpatrick start. We'd be a lot like last year's Colts I think.

44 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Have your draft wants changed since the end of the season? Has your dream pick changed?

My wants have not changed but my dream picks have.

LB has been me top interest and had big crushes on Zaven and Cox.

Zaven has put on weight that has scared me some from him. After watching a lot of film on Cox, while he moves great, he is not great in run support.

Based on all the needs, WFT will probably only be able to use one draft pick on LB in the 1st five rounds. Based on that I want Parsons in the first or Barnes, Werner or various others in the 3rd round.

Archived