Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Its Interesting. I'm doing a deep dive on Newman and I'm loving what I'm reading. The early stuff last year had him as the third best QB in the draft before the season. That was all hypothetical, saying he could compete with guys like Wilson, Lance, and Jones for the third spot but he could be a steal. I'm even fine with the option of picking him at 19 over Jones. From what I'm reading he has the deep ball accuracy and mobility that we like in our QBs. I am still reading a bunch of articles on him but this sounds like it could be a good pick. 

47 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think there’s some context that I do and don’t agree with involved.

Bama has a recent history of good receivers at the next level, but that’s newish. And Smith is better than them as a receiver (but smaller weight wise).

They have a long history of excellent RBs.

They have a poor QB history.

I don’t believe that’s a good way to do business. Each prospect should be judged on their own. But there are people doing it for that reason.

For me with Jones is more about his mobility in today’s NFL, his frame/body makes me wonder if he’s not doing what he has to in the weight room or there’s something else going on with him there. Of course a prospect can be a good one without being LaRon Landry. And at times the bodybuilder has been a major concern... and Tom Brady wasn’t exactly an adonis. 

I think he has a quality chance to be good at the next level, but his weapons help him, too. It’s a tough sell as a one and you’d need to do that to get him. I think that’s the biggest issue. Not necessarily his potential. But I could be wrong.

For me it's easier to distinguish when player at a skill position is elite even amongst elite company because they still have to line up and beat people. Wrs can destroy still destroy DBs on routes without getting the ball, RBs can have spectacular runs making people miss at the LOS, falling forward through contact these things translate.  I call them athletic interactions. For a QB with limited physical traits surrounded by elite talent you just don't get to see him win athletic interactions/manufacture positive plays with arm talent and/or mobility. It's just a series of good decisions + opportunities served up on a platter because of the surrounding talent. He may be a high level processor and make plays with his brain with presnap stuff but we have not seen a below average athlete succeed that way. The only top 10 -15ish QB that fits this mold drafted in the last 10 years is Kirk and he ran a 4.84. 

6 minutes ago, BobGriffin said:

For me it's easier to distinguish when player at a skill position is elite even amongst elite company because they still have to line up and beat people. Wrs can destroy still destroy DBs on routes without getting the ball, RBs can have spectacular runs making people miss at the LOS, these things translate.  I call them athletic interactions. For a QB with limited physical traits surrounded by elite talent you just don't get to see him win athletic interactions/manufacture positive plays with arm talent and/or mobility. It's just a series of good decisions + opportunities served up on a platter because of the surrounding talent. He may be a high level processor and make plays with his brain with presnap stuff but we have not seen a below average athlete succeed that way. The only top 10 -15ish QB that fits this mold drafted in the last 10 years is Kirk and he ran a 4.84. 

Absolutely spot on.

Quarterbacks are a more difficult evaluation with surrounding talent. The skill guys can show out regardless. I’m with you. Great take.

Mock Off-season per FanSpeak Premium:

Cut: QB Smith, RB Barber, RB Love, CB Stroman

Re-sign: RG Scherff (15m APY), CB Darby (10m APY)

Sign: WR Samuel (10m APY), LB David (14m APY), QB Mariota (8m APY), TE Everett (5m APY), DE Kpassagnon (4m APY)

Draft:

1: Rashawn Slater, OT Northwestern

2: Jamie Newman, QB Georgia

*Trade 1st 3rd for 2 later 3rds*

3: Terrace Marshall, WR LSU

3: Chazz Surratt, LB UNC

3: Landon Dickerson, IOL Alabama

4: Eric Stokes, CB Georgia

5: Trey Sermon, RB Ohio State

7: Baron Browning, LB Alabama

7: Shaun Beyer, TE Iowa

OT   College Ht/Wt
1 Penei Sewell* Oregon 6-6, 325
2 Rashawn Slater Northwestern 6-4, 314
3 Christian Darrisaw VT 6-5, 314
4 Alex Leatherwood Alabama 6-6, 322
5 Brady Christensen BYU 6-6, 300
6 Dillon Radunz ND State 6-6, 299
7 Jackson Carman* Clemson 6-5, 345
8 Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame 6-6, 305
9 Sam Cosmi Texas 6-6, 295
10 Thayor Munford Ohio State 6-6, 319
11 Jalen Mayfield* Michigan 6-5, 319
12 Alaric Jackson Iowa 6-6, 320
13 Walker Little Stanford 6-7, 304
14 Daniel Faalele Minn 6-8, 400
15 Jordan Reid Michigan St 6-4, 300
16 Landon Young Kentucky 6-7, 305
17 Adrian Ealy Oklahoma 6-6, 327
18 Teven Jenkins OK St 6-6, 320
19 Robert Hainsey Notre Dame 6-4, 291
20 James Hudson Cincy 6-5, 310
21 Cole Van Lanen Wisconsin 6-5, 312
22 William Sherman* Colorado 6-4, 310

Penei Sewell *Oregon 6-6, 325

Big, strong, athletic, physical specimen. He plays with ridiculous anticipation. He gets to the second level and mauls linebackers and safeties on a regular basis.Drive blocks until he needs to come off to continue forward and find a new target or until the guy winds up in the stands. Absolute mauler that has quick feet and can pass protect. Rare to say for an offensive line prospect but he has excellent change of direction with his footwork.

Alex Leatherwood Alabama 6-6, 322

Powerful and has an absolute absurd anchor and stone wall ability. He is absolutely dominating once he gets his hands on you. Dominant at the second level as long as he gets his hands on. Anticipation at the second level isn't his strong suit, though. His athleticism is good but his bend isn't top end so at times can struggle a bit with higher end exterior rushers and his stunt pass offs aren't always as crisp as you'd like. But he fits the profile of a NFL OT that can last for awhile in the league just due to his power and overall body of work. If he develops some better "bend" and refines his anticipation at level 2 he could be a top tackle in the league.

Sam Cosmi Texas 6-6, 295

Has good feet and drive. Understands his job and doesn't go for the popcorn stand block if it's not necessary and is fine with walling a guy off one play and driving them to the next state's border on the next. Good on the second level and recognizes blitz schemes at well. At times in pass pro it looks absolutely effortless as he blocks edge rushers. He does have some off-balance tendencies when he is engaged with a defender. Saw a few plays where he was more of a spectator because he got beat, in particular on Baylor 2020 film, but those are few and far between for him. He doesn't laser lock on targets and sometimes that a great benefit and sometimes it leads to him coming off before a play develops and opening a lane for his original man to make a play on the ball for a minimal gain.

Thayor Munford Ohio State 6-6, 319

He has an extremely solid anchor. When he gets beat it seems to be he's trying to pay attention to too many things at once. He checks inside bu turning his head while a rusher is coming directly at him. That throws his balance and achor off a bit at times. He also tries to block more than his man to help his team which is an excellent motor but can be problematic schematically at the next level. He is an extremely strong run blocker that can maul people and he has a good power step and refocuses his hands well.

Jackson Carman* Clemson 6-5, 345

An extremely large man that uses his hands really well in pass protection. Times his pass offs as he climbs the ladder in the run game very well. Excellent power step and very good kick step. In the pass game an issue I see is that sometimes he oversets to an outside jab step where he completely turns his shoulders and it allows him to get beat inside. But he has solid athleticism and situational awareness and has no problem finding work when none shows in his lane. I love his push through move on screen where he lets the defender beat him on the edge and then clubs his inside shoulder to push him passed and take him out of the play. He does tend to play a bit high at times.

Walker Little Stanford 6-7, 304

Really tall and slender by OT standards. He plays with a heavy forward lean in his stance and at times that hurts him in his get off for edge rushers in pass pro. His athleticism allows him to get there, but he can be off balance and vulnerable to a change of direction or a push pull bull technique. He's a really good athlete. But doesn't have a lot of "mauler" in him. He plays really high at times as well and allows defenders to get into his frame too easily in pass protection. He's a raw prospect that needs some development to succeed at the next level, but he has the physical traits to do so.

James Hudson Cincy 6-5, 310

Patient blocker who does a good job sitting back in pass protection and coiling. Though in the Tulsa film in particular he has a play where he legitimately tackles the defender after holding him. I don't love his hustle on plays where he thinks he's out of the play but the play comes to him and he can be standing still. Gets his hands across defenders chests entirely too often for my liking. Very good athleticism and is better in pass pro and when he gets to move more horizontally in the run game.

Alaric Jackson Iowa 6-6, 320

Plays with good body position and ready to strike with his hands. Very active hands, too. Does a great job redirecting when he has to check to protect his inside gap but has a strong kick that allows him to get outside and in position even while checking inside. He's not a very stick blocker. Iowa gave him some tough assignments to get inside of a guy shaded inside of him on an inside run and he did an admirable job getting there. Very rarely gets blown up against any competition. Not a mauler but can get under a defender and leverage them in the run game fairly often to create space in the running game.

Jordan Reid Michigan S t6-4, 300

Plays with explosion and attacks second level defenders with some anger in the run game. Big and strong but can be flinchy when he is trying to get down inside of a blocker (Az State 2019). Plays in the traditional "Power Z" and won't get bullied. Doesn't lunge much, either. He is a technically sound right tackle that can stone wall pass rushers

Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame 6-6, 305

Has NFL size and strength. Very good base and solid athleticism. Holds up well against a bull rush and can get himself back in position on a speed rush by taking a good angle and pushing the rusher out of the play. His feet can be a bit jittery at times which can take him out of position, but generally he's in position to allow his quarterback enough time to get through his reads and throw the ball. His negative plays seem to happen when Book holds the ball for too long. He always seems to be able to get himself in good position and he doesn't fall for stunts or movement.

Landon Young Kentucky 6-7, 305

Absolute mauler who would fit seamlessly into a gap scheme in the NFL. Very sticky blocker. He could work at iHop because of the pancakes he makes. But as a pass blocker he lacks the hands, feet and balance to be successful. Requires growth in that area before he is ready to play at the next level. Potential is the draw in Landon Young.

Jalen Mayfield* Michigan 6-5, 319

Good kick and anchor and is really explosive as a down blocker. Isn't going to win many athletic competitions but he is adequate as an athlete. Has slowish feet for a left tackle in the NFL, but he played right tackle in college and likely projects there where his feet are probably fast enough. Active blocker who has his head on a swivel and uses a good stab technique. He regains his balance fairly quickly when he is off base and stays square in contact in both the run and pass game.

Adrian Ealy Oklahoma 6-6, 327

Literally stands straight up at the snap more times than not. Slow and plodding but strong and a good anchor. Not going to be a great second level blocker or move down the line well in the run game but can create some space and moves well in a small "box". He has a "click-step" when trying to match with a speed rusher and over runs second level blocks. But if he hits you there's a chance you're going into orbit.

Robert Hainsey Notre Dame 6-4, 291

Right tackle prospect. He takes a lot of effort to get his body back into a kick step. Very choppy looking to watch on film. Strong punch and hands. He doesn't jump off the page at you when you watch him. There's not a lot that he does that stands out and that is not a good or a bad thing. He is likely a steady hand at the next level. Probably can't play much on the left side so he won't be a swing tackle but can serve as a right tackle in a backup role and grow into a starter spot.

William Sherman* Colorado 6-4, 310

Raw as a prospect. Doesn't have the athleticism to get out to a fast edge and for tight edge rushers he really struggles to power down inside. His opponents took note of that and actively attacked those portions of his game. When he gets to his block he anchors well but he is extremely raw and needs a lot of work to be on the field at the next level.

Brady Christensen BYU 6-6, 300

Mauler. Defends his turf. Has good feet and gets into position and stimies multiple pass rush moves and skillsets on a regular basis. Locks on target like a heat seeking missile and doesn't stop until the object explodes. Has good hands and overall athleticism. Has extremely good drive technique. Finds work on every play. On occasion he can beat beat with an inside move and look really bad in the process... but it's a rare occasion.

Rashawn Slater Northwestern 6-4, 314

Great balance in pass protection. Good powerful base and strong athleticism. Gets to the second level with alarming regularlity for defenses and is truly dominant in the run game. Extremely active feet and is more athletic than a typical lineman would normally be. He passes off stunts very well. Drives defenders out of plays. Redirects. He has OT1 attributes, ability and film. The problem for him is that he doesn't have the same explosion or meanstreak as a draft counterpart: Penei Sewell. For teams in the draft that are OT needy that's a good thing as an OT who is franchise caliber should be available beyond the first few picks... For him not so much as he is likely to lose some draft positioning with Sewell and QBs and WRs slated to go ahead of OT2.

Christian Darrisaw VT 6-5, 314

More athletic, less raw, smaller Mekhi Becton. The guy has thunder in his gloves. He hits for four quarters and has no stop in his game. Strong and explosive in the run game and he swallows defenders in his grasp. In the pass game he has a good kick and extends well. Rarely do you see a defender inside his body space. If you're looking for a hole in his game it's probably he is vulnerable to the inside move but he is still pretty solid there as well.

Daniel Faalele Minn 6-8, 400

This man is 400 lbs. Yes. 400. But he moves like he's in his low mid 3s. Deceptively athletic. Absolutely swallows defenders as they approach him. On film they look miniscule next to him but the same defenders look much larger against other OTs in this class. Opting out of the 2020 season probably hurts his value as he lost valuable experience. He has some balance issues at times but could absolutely become a starting right tackle in the NFL as he progresses and improves and gains some experience.

Dillon Radunz ND State 6-6, 299

Like his quarterback, it's going to be tough to shed the "1AA" stigma from his body of work. But he has next level intangibles. Great kick and balance. Uses his hands well and holds up to inside and outside moves. He is strong and athletic. Could stand to add good weight to his frame and should ideally play around 310-315 most likely. I like his timing when he comes off of one block and looks to climb to the next. He has big time NFL potential and should be treated as such.

Teven Jenkins OK St 6-6, 320

Struggles a bit getting to wide 9 speed rushers. Doesn't have great balance but can get after it a bit in the running game. He likes to demoralize defenders, but he's not particularly polished and doesn't play with great leverage all the time. He wants to jump set in pass protection but it does lead to issues as stated in his wide 9 struggles. Has developmental potential.

Cole Van Lanen Wisconsin 6-5, 312

Loves to get downhill and drive block a guy down the field. When he gets off the ball and to his assignment he looks like one of the top OL in the class. I watched a few plays of him and thought, "wow, he is criminally underrated as a prospect" and then I continued to watch the film and I saw why. There are times where he runs completely passed the guy he's supposed to block or he blocks the wrong guy entirely. His lateral movement is also extremely suspect. He played LT in college but may do better on the other side if he gets a chance at the next level.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

6'8" and 400lbs? Heinicke could just sit in that dudes shirt pocket and throw passes from up there.

Thanks for the write ups KDawg.

You bet. I enjoy it.

I think the entire top 12 has potential long term. 

Then 13-17ish are guys who I think have developmental potential.

The bottom end could develop but I wouldn't waste a pick higher than a 6th on them. 

There are no Terrence Steele's in this class... Man I didn't like him last year. Found one note that said: "If I could put blank spaces before him I would. I'd leave him off but people who know more than I do about team's draft boards tend to think he'll get drafted. He shouldn't"

49 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There are no Terrence Steele's in this class... Man I didn't like him last year. Found one note that said: "If I could put blank spaces before him I would. I'd leave him off but people who know more than I do about team's draft boards tend to think he'll get drafted. He shouldn't"

Yep, I recall I ripped Steele, too.  I didn't get what people saw in him. 

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Its Interesting. I'm doing a deep dive on Newman and I'm loving what I'm reading. The early stuff last year had him as the third best QB in the draft before the season. That was all hypothetical, saying he could compete with guys like Wilson, Lance, and Jones for the third spot but he could be a steal. I'm even fine with the option of picking him at 19 over Jones. From what I'm reading he has the deep ball accuracy and mobility that we like in our QBs. I am still reading a bunch of articles on him but this sounds like it could be a good pick. 

If we are looking for a toolsy QB prospect, he's the one IMO after the top 4. 

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If we are looking for a toolsy QB prospect, he's the one IMO after the top 4. 

I like him. For us I like him and Buechele. It's a shame we don't have the Shrine game to show off Buechele's skills. 

Gonna be all about the interview for Newman. But for us I like him better than Mac Jones. Though I think Jones has a lot of potential in the right situation and offensive scheme. New England would be interesting for him. 

I have to watch Eskridge still. 

Wallace has already moved up my board. I don't know why schools get guys like him and completely limit them by keeping them in one side of the field and limit what they do.

19 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I like him. For us I like him and Buechele. It's a shame we don't have the Shrine game to show off Buechele's skills. 

I haven't watched Buechele yet.  But you have hyped him well.  Pete Medhurst who does some college game broadcasts I notice also touts Buechele.  In a week or two I'll have some time to dive into lots of prospects.

Gonna be all about the interview for Newman. But for us I like him better than Mac Jones. Though I think Jones has a lot of potential in the right situation and offensive scheme. New England would be interesting for him. 

I feel the same way about both points.   I am not out like some are on Jones.  I need to see more.  But he's a hard evaluation, the sun is always shinning for him, perfect supporting cast, he does execute well and has other attributes I've touted but he doesn't have special arm talent or mobility.  Newman has a gun, nice size, good mobility.  Big tools.

I have to watch Eskridge still. 

I watched him a little.  He's electric.  It's such a loaded draft for smallish-speedy slot receivers.

Wallace has already moved up my board. I don't know why schools get guys like him and completely limit them by keeping them in one side of the field and limit what they do.

I've liked him for 2 years now.  My one pause about him is 2 ACL tears already. 

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

OT   College Ht/Wt
1 Penei Sewell* Oregon 6-6, 325
2 Rashawn Slater Northwestern 6-4, 314
3 Christian Darrisaw VT 6-5, 314
4 Alex Leatherwood Alabama 6-6, 322
5 Brady Christensen BYU 6-6, 300
6 Dillon Radunz ND State 6-6, 299
7 Jackson Carman* Clemson 6-5, 345
8 Liam Eichenberg Notre Dame 6-6, 305
9 Sam Cosmi Texas 6-6, 295
10 Thayor Munford Ohio State 6-6, 319
11 Jalen Mayfield* Michigan 6-5, 319
12 Alaric Jackson Iowa 6-6, 320
13 Walker Little Stanford 6-7, 304

Thanks for all you effort on this!

The I look at Darrisaw the more I like him. The more I see Little, worse he looks. You did him a solid giving him 13 lol

I would be happy with Darrisaw at 19.

I have Leatherwood a couple ticks lower and Cosmi a couple higher but pretty much right with you.

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been all aboard the Cox wagon. There’s no easy way to phrase that

haha.  I too have been in the Jabril fan club for some time. He is amazing and versatile. 

I caught a few minutes of todays practices and the announcers were calling Quinn Meinerz "there guy" they were loving him and he was destroying the DL

7 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

haha.  I too have been in the Jabril fan club for some time. He is amazing and versatile. 

I caught a few minutes of todays practices and the announcers were calling Quinn Meinerz "there guy" they were loving him and he was destroying the DL

I don’t honestly know who that even is so... today you learned me.

Archived