Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Consensus is Allen Robinson is heads and shoulders above the rest of the receivers in the FA class. 

Knowing this, what are the chances Da Bears franchise him forcing a sign and trade deal? Would mean them getting lets say a 3rd for him. Is he worth it spend the pick and all the cap space if they were to franchise him. I do not think so.

Edited by DWinzit

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

A lot of draft analyst have Jones going in the 2nd.  I don't think he makes it out of the 1st.  He may fall to the 2nd but if he plays as well as I think he will in the game, I think he's a 1st rounder.   One reason is the demand for QBs.  

So I wonder about Jones and Newman vs players like Love and Hurts or Lock and Haskins and Grier. There are other guys from years back and the story behind Newman is interesting but I fear he may be just another QB that gets overdrafted. Its not a good thing that he Newman threw two interceptions yesterday and Jones got hurt yesterday and may not play in the game. 

• Like 2

Going to be some overlap with guards and centers, but here's the guard rankings. Davis is lower than I'd really like but he had enough issues on film to push him down. But when he is good he is top notch top end NFL good. If he develops consistency and stops over playing defenders he could be the top guard in the class.

I like Banks. Ashly is a fun prospect.

Meinerz is a pure projection and I can't know for sure. It's a mix of Senior Bowl practice and gut. 

Kendrick Green is the sleeper of the group.

OG   College Ht/Wt
1 Alijah Vera-Tucker* USC 6-4, 315
2 Deonte Brown Alabama 6-4, 350
3 Quinn Meinerz Wisc-Whitewater 6-3, 320
4 Aaron Banks ND 6-5, 330
5 Wyatt Davis* Ohio State 6-4, 315
6 Calvin Ashly Florida A&M 6-7, 335
7 Ben Cleveland Georgia 6-6, 335
8 Kendrick Green Illinois 6-4, 315
9 Jack Anderson Texas Tech 6-5, 315
10 Tommy Kraemer ND 6-6, 317
11 Sadarius Hutcherson South Carolina 6-4, 320
12 Baveon Johnson FSU 6-3, 307
13 Jean Delance Florida 6-4, 316

Alijah Vera-Tucker* USC 6-4, 315

Played LT this year but was a LG last season. He has good choppy feet and an incredibly strong base. Extremely wide techniques on pass rush give him a bit of an issue, but any "normal" alignment is easily blockable for him. Reason is that his movements are precise and methodical and he doesn't seem to want to sacrifice rep quality for speed. He projects as a top end elite guard in my opinion and a decent starter at tackle. He has a strong punch and active hands. Strong anchor, body awareness, game presence. Aggressive but controlled. He is a potential all-pro guard.

Deonte Brown Alabama 6-4, 350

Not to dwell on statistics, but Brown allowed just 0.5 sacks this past season and one pressure. His wide frame and powerful build make him a gap plugger just on size and strength alone. For such a large man he moves laterally really well, but he doesn't have great bend or one on one in space ability. He is strictly a left guard and he is a powerful player who is situationally aware. Football isn't played one on one necessarily inside as there is spatial issues for defenders to truly use their athleticism against such a wide bodied player. He is a top end guard prospect and should be a starter in the league for a long time.

Wyatt Davis* Ohio State 6-4, 315

Good interior blocker who does a nice job getting cross face on hook block attempts. He has a strong frame but one thing that I noticed repeatedly in watching his film is that he tends to over commit to a block and he winds up on the ground more often than you'd like to see in your guard. He doesn't change directions very quickly so that creates a very real challenge for adjusting to faster rushers. But if he isn't having to correct from over committing to a block he is a stout pass and run blocker. He has a fantastic stab technique. The thing that makes Davis most intriguing is his physical tools and skill set. It makes him difficult to rank because if he puts it all together he could be a real steal in the draft if he falls... But his physical traits will make him one of the top guards selected and with good reason.

Aaron Banks ND 6-5, 330

Banks is a big, lumbering man. He has good athleticism for a guy his size as it pertains getting to the second level and can pull a little bit. He is an extremely solid pass protector and he plays real well in he run game. His balance and agility is a bit less than you'd like but that's to be expected when talking about such a large athlete. He plays under control and can pick up blitzers with regularity.

Ben Cleveland Georgia 6-6, 335

Plays with a pad level that you really like to see. He doesn't have the same anchor as the other top guys in the guard grouping in the sense that he gets moved back in pass pro a bit more than them, but he plays with really good pad level and leverage and while he gets moved back he tends to do a nice job with a plant-plant-readjust hands and drive technique to combat the bull rush. He is an absolutely powerful beast of a man and if he gets a chance to coil and strike he is sending defenders into orbit.

Jack Anderson Texas Tech 6-5, 315

Not a whole lot of stuff on him. Works down the line well in slide type protections. Good athlete that can change directions fairly well for an interior OL prospect. Whiffs a lot at the second level as he moves quickly to get there but doesn't break down and get into his block. Much better on "whiskey" pulls (where he pulls from one side of the line to the other to protect the edge in pass protection) scenarios. Better as a pass protector than a run blocker.

Tommy Kraemer ND 6-6, 317

Plays a bit high and with a lean to using his upper body strength to displace defenders. At times leans into defenders in pass protection. Doesn't have the speed to deal with quicker defensive tackles and has a tendency to get blown up and moved backwards due to his high pad level.

Sadarius Hutcherson South Carolina 6-4, 320

Explosive off the LoS so his initial displacement of defenders is a lot of fun to watch. That's the strength of his game as a blocker. His low center of gravity allows him to anchor well. But he is really prone to stunts and quick movement. He doesn't possess the bend or agility to compete with DL who have some athleticism if he doesn't get a strong start with his explosion.

Calvin Ashly Florida A&M 6-7, 335

Ashly played RT in college. Big, strong and athletic for a guard. He played well at right tackle and was able to fend off quick rushers with good foot work , size and strength. His competition level was less than some of the other guards and he may not hold up on the edge as a tackle against the quicker NFL guys. A move inside would probably allow his play to look similar to his collegiate film. He is a very sticky blocker who moves really well for his size and can get to all the blocks.

Baveon Johnson FSU 6-3, 307

Something about his game just seems... slow. On the film he seems to move well enough but while he's moving he just kind of feels like he's not going anywhere. He is short and compact and lighter than many guard types as well. But all of that said he does a nice job at the second level and coming off of double teams while staying square. Doesn't have great anticipation as a puller and good edge rushers like the ones from Miami really gave him porblems on pulls.

Jean Delance Florida 6-4, 316

Played right tackle in college. Did a nice job running edge rushers around the outside but his foot work didn't seem to allow him to be in position to halt their movement to the QB. He also seemed to struggle with interior rush moves. Has active hands and feet. Lunges entirely too much. Would like to see how he does at guard because he seems to have some physical tools but just struggled with exterior speed.

Kendrick Green Illinois 6-4, 315

Mauling run blocker despite his "smaller" size. He uses leverage to get underneath and drive defenders into the turf on a regular basis. Runs his feet and plays bigger than his size. He has good change of direction and can stick with any DL. Curious of his ability to withstand a NFL bull rush, but he plays low so he may hold up. That's the biggest concern with him. He has all the tools.

Quinn Meinerz Wisc-Whitewater 6-3, 320

Haven't seen many cut ups on him, however his senior bowl practice reel shows that he is an aggressive player who attacks on the regular in the run game and uses his leverage to blow up NFL prospects. D3 player who is flying under the radar. His ranking is based purely on projection based on his Senior Bowl week. This has a lot of room to be off based on sample size.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, KDawg said:

Good place to look. That’s where D3 does film exchange. Obviously you wouldn’t have the library of games but there may be something there

Players use it for highlights too, and it can be very useful for linemen because you get the tight angle rather than just the TV angle. I had to make do with highlights when it came to evaluating because my loaded NAIA school refused to pay for more than the basic HUDL package and you kinda learn how to recognize what you're not seeing on a highlights reel in addition to what you're seeing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

Players use it for highlights too, and it can be very useful for linemen because you get the tight angle rather than just the TV angle. I had to make do with highlights when it came to evaluating because my loaded NAIA school refused to pay for more than the basic HUDL package and you kinda learn how to recognize what you're not seeing on a highlights reel in addition to what you're seeing. 

Yup. I can see a highlight and usually have at least a general idea if they have talent or not. Remaining film is used for refining that premise. But there’s just certain things that jump out when you watch a guy.

I use highlights as a baseline for so many guys. Doesn’t show you the nuance but you can see for instance if a QB has a live arm or not. You can see a linemen’s foot work and basic ability.

Then I use individual games to refine my takes.

Stinks that your school didn’t get the package. 

The HS I’m a DC at just got HUDL sideline. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

Going to be some overlap with guards and centers, but here's the guard rankings. Davis is lower than I'd really like but he had enough issues on film to push him down. But when he is good he is top notch top end NFL good. If he develops consistency and stops over playing defenders he could be the top guard in the class.

Meinerz is a pure projection and I can't know for sure. It's a mix of Senior Bowl practice and gut. 

OG   College Ht/Wt

Alijah Vera-Tucker* USC 6-4, 315

Played LT this year but was a LG last season. He has good choppy feet and an incredibly strong base. Extremely wide techniques on pass rush give him a bit of an issue, but any "normal" alignment is easily blockable for him. Reason is that his movements are precise and methodical and he doesn't seem to want to sacrifice rep quality for speed. He projects as a top end elite guard in my opinion and a decent starter at tackle. He has a strong punch and active hands. Strong anchor, body awareness, game presence. Aggressive but controlled. He is a potential all-pro guard.

Deonte Brown Alabama 6-4, 350

Not to dwell on statistics, but Brown allowed just 0.5 sacks this past season and one pressure. His wide frame and powerful build make him a gap plugger just on size and strength alone. For such a large man he moves laterally really well, but he doesn't have great bend or one on one in space ability. He is strictly a left guard and he is a powerful player who is situationally aware. Football isn't played one on one necessarily inside as there is spatial issues for defenders to truly use their athleticism against such a wide bodied player. He is a top end guard prospect and should be a starter in the league for a long time.

Wyatt Davis* Ohio State 6-4, 315

Good interior blocker who does a nice job getting cross face on hook block attempts. He has a strong frame but one thing that I noticed repeatedly in watching his film is that he tends to over commit to a block and he winds up on the ground more often than you'd like to see in your guard. He doesn't change directions very quickly so that creates a very real challenge for adjusting to faster rushers. But if he isn't having to correct from over committing to a block he is a stout pass and run blocker. He has a fantastic stab technique. The thing that makes Davis most intriguing is his physical tools and skill set. It makes him difficult to rank because if he puts it all together he could be a real steal in the draft if he falls... But his physical traits will make him one of the top guards selected and with good reason.

Aaron Banks ND 6-5, 330

Banks is a big, lumbering man. He has good athleticism for a guy his size as it pertains getting to the second level and can pull a little bit. He is an extremely solid pass protector and he plays real well in he run game. His balance and agility is a bit less than you'd like but that's to be expected when talking about such a large athlete. He plays under control and can pick up blitzers with regularity.

Ben Cleveland Georgia 6-6, 335

Plays with a pad level that you really like to see. He doesn't have the same anchor as the other top guys in the guard grouping in the sense that he gets moved back in pass pro a bit more than them, but he plays with really good pad level and leverage and while he gets moved back he tends to do a nice job with a plant-plant-readjust hands and drive technique to combat the bull rush. He is an absolutely powerful beast of a man and if he gets a chance to coil and strike he is sending defenders into orbit.

Jack Anderson Texas Tech 6-5, 315

Not a whole lot of stuff on him. Works down the line well in slide type protections. Good athlete that can change directions fairly well for an interior OL prospect. Whiffs a lot at the second level as he moves quickly to get there but doesn't break down and get into his block. Much better on "whiskey" pulls (where he pulls from one side of the line to the other to protect the edge in pass protection) scenarios. Better as a pass protector than a run blocker.

Tommy Kraemer ND 6-6, 317

Plays a bit high and with a lean to using his upper body strength to displace defenders. At times leans into defenders in pass protection. Doesn't have the speed to deal with quicker defensive tackles and has a tendency to get blown up and moved backwards due to his high pad level.

Sadarius Hutcherson South Carolina 6-4, 320

Explosive off the LoS so his initial displacement of defenders is a lot of fun to watch. That's the strength of his game as a blocker. His low center of gravity allows him to anchor well. But he is really prone to stunts and quick movement. He doesn't possess the bend or agility to compete with DL who have some athleticism if he doesn't get a strong start with his explosion.

Calvin Ashly Florida A&M 6-7, 335

Ashly played RT in college. Big, strong and athletic for a guard. He played well at right tackle and was able to fend off quick rushers with good foot work , size and strength. His competition level was less than some of the other guards and he may not hold up on the edge as a tackle against the quicker NFL guys. A move inside would probably allow his play to look similar to his collegiate film. He is a very sticky blocker who moves really well for his size and can get to all the blocks.

Baveon Johnson FSU 6-3, 307

Something about his game just seems... slow. On the film he seems to move well enough but while he's moving he just kind of feels like he's not going anywhere. He is short and compact and lighter than many guard types as well. But all of that said he does a nice job at the second level and coming off of double teams while staying square. Doesn't have great anticipation as a puller and good edge rushers like the ones from Miami really gave him porblems on pulls.

Jean Delance Florida 6-4, 316

Played right tackle in college. Did a nice job running edge rushers around the outside but his foot work didn't seem to allow him to be in position to halt their movement to the QB. He also seemed to struggle with interior rush moves. Has active hands and feet. Lunges entirely too much. Would like to see how he does at guard because he seems to have some physical tools but just struggled with exterior speed.

Kendrick Green Illinois 6-4, 315

Mauling run blocker despite his "smaller" size. He uses leverage to get underneath and drive defenders into the turf on a regular basis. Runs his feet and plays bigger than his size. He has good change of direction and can stick with any DL. Curious of his ability to withstand a NFL bull rush, but he plays low so he may hold up. That's the biggest concern with him. He has all the tools.

Quinn Meinerz Wisc-Whitewater 6-3, 320

Haven't seen many cut ups on him, however his senior bowl practice reel shows that he is an aggressive player who attacks on the regular in the run game and uses his leverage to blow up NFL prospects. D3 player who is flying under the radar. His ranking is based purely on projection based on his Senior Bowl week. This has a lot of room to be off based on sample size.

Is there a way we can get your position rankings pinned?  I want to ask about your thoughts on Jackson Carman, but maybe he is with the tackle group a few pages back?

7 hours ago, KDawg said:

OG   College Ht/Wt

As always, thanks for all your time and efforts into these breakdowns and rankings.

I liked Green as a later rounder as well.

You went with your "gut" on Meinerz lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Is there a way we can get your position rankings pinned?  

I agree that they should be accessible.

@KDawg it is a shame that after you do all that work and post them, they fall 20, 30 50 pages back. It is a pain in the butt to find them. Perhaps if you included the page # and position with your last years Mock posting it will make it easy for all to review at any point. Otherwise they get buried in posts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

@KDawg it is a shame that after you do all that work and post them, they fall 20, 30 50 pages back. It is a pain in the butt to find them. Perhaps if you included the page # and position with your last years Mock posting it will make it easy for all to review at any point. Otherwise they get buried in posts. 

Great idea. 

@KDawg PM the links to the posts and I can put them in the OP. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Feels weird quoting myself lol.

If you decide to that -G 216, T 213, WR 205, RB 187 and we we waiting for updates on anything on the good side of the ball!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Nice! It makes an easy reference point. Thanks zskins....hope it doesn't give KDawg a big head lol!

Nah. I’m sure if anyone took the time to do that they’d get that treatment. I actually do it to help me when I watch game film for my team to pick up on things. It’s just practice reps and I love it, too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, KDawg said:

Yup. I can see a highlight and usually have at least a general idea if they have talent or not. Remaining film is used for refining that premise. But there’s just certain things that jump out when you watch a guy.

I use highlights as a baseline for so many guys. Doesn’t show you the nuance but you can see for instance if a QB has a live arm or not. You can see a linemen’s foot work and basic ability.

Then I use individual games to refine my takes.

Stinks that your school didn’t get the package. 

The HS I’m a DC at just got HUDL sideline. 

There’s definitely ways to decipher highlight reels. If I was watching a safety with 30 reps on his reel and he’s just coming downhill in 27 of them it usually means he can’t cover a skittle with a 10 foot tarp. 

• Haha 3

What do you all think of Cam McGrone? Seems like a good player but maybe he's an ILB more in the mold of how the Steelers use their LBers. He plays the position mean though, and I like that. We got kind of lucky with needs matching strength of draft with the LB position. This is a really good LBer draft in my opinion (even if you subtract Parsons because he's a nut). 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What do you all think of Cam McGrone? Seems like a good player but maybe he's an ILB more in the mold of how the Steelers use their LBers. He plays the position mean though, and I like that. We got kind of lucky with needs matching strength of draft with the LB position. This is a really good LBer draft in my opinion (even if you subtract Parsons because he's a nut). 

I don't know anything about him, but it sounds like Homer Simpson made that name up.

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What do you all think of Cam McGrone?

if you subtract Parsons because he's a nut). 

Looks like he was is great on delayed A gap blitzes on passing downs. Also looks Good shooting gaps against the run and appears to have solid range. I’d be interested to hear other people’s takes. 

Also, regarding Parsons, just out of curiosity, how many people on this board would not take Tyree Hill on this team? I’d love to see a poll. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t want Hill on this team. I want to win with character, rather than be in such a scarcity mode with talent that I overlook who people are. 

A guy who impressed me despite his measurables at the senior bowl was Cade Johnson. Definitely a later round guy, but I enjoyed his cuts and stop-start ability. 

Shi Smith and Frank Darby are also guys I want to take a closer look at. 

Edited by Fresh8686
  • Like 1

From the list @KDawg posted, I am definitely looking at one of the top 2 guards as a BPA value pick at 19. Deonte Brown opposite Scherff, gives us a force on the offensive line interior for a few years. Short yardage plays and a clean pocket for (any) QB to step up into. This is another option if one of the LBs or OTs doesn't fall to 19. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IrepDC said:

From the list @KDawg posted, I am definitely looking at one of the top 2 guards as a BPA value pick at 19. Deonte Brown opposite Scherff, gives us a force on the offensive line interior for a few years. Short yardage plays and a clean pocket for (any) QB to step up into. This is another option if one of the LBs or OTs doesn't fall to 19. 

I include Wyatt Davis, too. I know I have him ranked fifth but his potential is high end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fresh8686 said:

who impressed me despite his measurables at the senior bowl was Cade Johnson. Definitely a later round guy, but I enjoyed his cuts and stop-start ability. 

Definitely a sharp route runner. Worth a 4 or 5 if there.  Would definitely have the potential to be a slot guy.

• Like 1