Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! Ron Rivera, Dan Snyder, The Front Office, and Anything Team Related (other than name change)

JSSkinz

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Who knows. I ain’t paid enough to fight over it tho 

This is where I'm at with it. Just change it to something that doesn't suck, preferably Redtails or Redhogs, so we can keep the old script R.

The can change the name to the Pink Ponies and I wouldn’t care. The adolescent attachment to a silly name from a bygone era by adults is fundamentally weird.

This franchise has needed an image reboot for quite some time. Doesn’t really matter how we arrive at it. 

6 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Nooo way. That official release, with quotes and all, just created its own expectations. Can't run away from it now. They're even being killed for gratuitously using the name so much in a release about changing it, even ending with the name as a sign-off. The attention is only beginning and that official memo release will now be the talk of ESPN. Schefter knows a lot and even said the name is dunzo man. 

you missed my point. It gives Dan time to see if this passes. If the pressure passes they come out with a study staying the polled so many people and what not not. If it doesn’t pass you come out with a plan to change. It gives Dan time. No rushing to change it now

2 minutes ago, panahoo said:

Snyder will conduct a "thorough review" and conclude that the team name is and always has been a term of respect to native americans and as such will remain in place.

Would not surprise me in the least bit. But to his credit, he has done a lot of work behind the scenes for Native Americans. Far more than most of the people on their soapboxes.

Just now, Tarpon75 said:

And then what? The mob will  never be satisfied. 

Exactly... what's the endgame.. "they" will move from one thing to the next.  Attacking until a certain group deems its no longer offensive.  Redefining what is offensive. Its a search for things to be upset about and offended by.  After the Redskins change the name and Mount Rushmore is torn down there will always be something to attack.  

6 minutes ago, just654 said:

you missed my point. It gives Dan time to see if this passes. If the pressure passes they come out with a study staying the polled so many people and what not not. If it doesn’t pass you come out with a plan to change. It gives Dan time. No rushing to change it now

I did not miss your point, I directly disagreed with it. I said that it does not give Snyder time to see if it passes, it ramps up anticipation and national attention until he does. 

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I still wonder if there is middle ground most people can agree with. I know you can never satisfy everyone, especially those resistant to change just because “you have to be” or those pushing it because “times have changed”. But I think the middle ground is where we should be playing towards. 

Who knows. I ain’t paid enough to fight over it tho 

The slippery slope argument is a one I'm wary of because in this case I think it is largely phony. I don't think there is any serious momentum to get George Washington off the one dollar bill. That said, one of things that I find difficult about the Redskins' argument is there are so many who want to speak "for" Native Americans and so few who seem to be speaking "with" them.

I don't think Native Americans need others to tell them what's offensive to them and how they've been wronged. I do think that when they speak we should listen. I do think that when they speak we should join our voices in support to theirs, but I find it more difficult when someone else announces what a group they are not a part of is offended by. Even more so, when the self-appointed spokespeople for the most part don't seem to ever interviewed the people who they think they are representing.

Which brings me back to where I stand. I do think Native Americans deserve a platform on this issue and if they find the name a burden, an insult, a slur then by all means change it, but it should be what they think and not what we think they think.

2 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Exactly... what's the endgame.. "they" will move from one thing to the next.  Attacking until a certain group deems its no longer offensive.  Redefining what is offensive. Its a search for things to be upset about and offended by.  After the Redskins change the name and Mount Rushmore is torn down there will always be something to attack.  

When you're constantly looking for things to be offended by, it's easy to do.

Reading between the lines of what Rivera said in that release, I bet Snyder makes an enormously large donation to reservations or various NA interest groups (honoring them and what the name was intended to accomplish) and then skews something more patriotic/military with the new name (Rivera randomly mention honoring the military which was weird otherwise). I'm not a huge fan of that but I bet they assume most of the people who will be upset with the name change could be placated by a sufficiently American-honoring alternative.

4 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

This is where I'm at with it. Just change it to something that doesn't suck, preferably Redtails or Redhogs, so we can keep the old script R.

If there is anything I wanna keep, it’s the R and the Fight Song. I just think the fight song is so classy and that I would miss. Even if you have to change some words. 

But times change so if it does it does. 

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Would not surprise me in the least bit. But to his credit, he has done a lot of work behind the scenes for Native Americans. Far more than most of the people on their soapboxes.

How often is Schefter factually wrong?  Pretty much never.

If Schefty says the name is on its way out, it's over.  The Skins wouldn't release this statement without being fully prepared to change.

The real question is what's the new name going to be.  Based on the wording of the release, it's likely something to do with Native Americans and the Military.  They've probably already decided.  Keeps random guys from trademarking potential options and driving up the cost now that the word's out.

8 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

Changing a name is going to do nothing for the Native Americans living on reservations, and with all the disparity that comes with it.  

No, lots and lots of money donated, millions, announced with the official name change, will help with that.

1 minute ago, sportsnut said:

And they would then have to become cowboy fans.

Random trivia: Did you know that the term cowboy was originally a slur?

Back in the day, farmers really didn't like the ranchers whose herds they blamed for all sorts of mischief so they began speculating about the activities these men would be participating in while on the range for so many weeks or months without a woman around. A cow-boy originally was intended as an insult that implied that man and steer were having "relations."

The name is going to change since corporate sponsors have already pulled money out of the franchise or are on the verge of doing so. 

Some of you still in denial are unfortunately going to learn a brutal, cold truth about living in a capitalist country. Money talks and no one cares about your feelings.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

Random trivia: Did you know that the term cowboy was originally a slur?

Back in the day, farmers really didn't like the ranchers whose herds they blamed for all sorts of mischief so they began speculating about the activities these men would be participating in while on the range for so many weeks or months without a woman around. A cow-boy originally was intended as an insult that implied that man and steer were having "relations."

Well that tears it! We'll have to petition for the name change.

Archived