Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DOUG WILLIAMS’ AWFUL PERFORMANCE IN 1987 SUPER BOWL

CommanderInTheRye

I'm watching for the first time the NFL Network's Black History Month recording of the 1987 Super Bowl and the so called great Doug Williams looks terrible through the first quarter. Mercifully Doug got sacked and the strong armed Jay Schroeder just came in.

All my life I've heard this talk from my Dad about how good Williams was in the game. Just a bunch of malarky. He stinks!

The second quarter's about to start. It looks like the Skins will put their hopes on Jay Schroeder.

Getting my popcorn now...

I meant 1987 Super Bowl in the title. Could a mod edit it please?

Maybe it needs to be renamed to SumTingWong's awful performance in 2020 thread creation.

Not only did you get the year wrong, you also missed out the punctuation in Doug Williams' name and added a superfluous "N" to "performance".  Also, as a joke thread, it's just not that funny.

Sorry mate, a bit of a fail all round really.

23 minutes ago, London Kev said:

Maybe it needs to be renamed to SumTingWong's awful performance in 2020 thread creation.

Not only did you get the year wrong, you also missed out the punctuation in Doug Williams' name and added a superfluous "N" to "performance".  Also, as a joke thread, it's just not that funny.

Sorry mate, a bit of a fail all round really.

Well the N was clearly a typo, guilty as charged on the grammar front, and as for the humor bit all I can really say is that it was a lazy Sunday morning and I gave it the old college try. Just wanted to lighten the mood and at the same time advertise that the game was currently playing on the NFL Network.

Sincerely sorry if it missed the mark.

No offense intended. 

Thanks for the feedback.

I just  watched all of this. Unreal to see JKC and Gibbs presented with the Lombardi. Cooke said he thinks the Redskins can be a dynasty for the next 25 years or something like that along as he is alive. I couldn’t imagine actually seeing the Redskins win a Super Bowl live, it would be incredible. When the Capitals finally won it I was on cloud 9 for months. One can dream with the Redskins. 

2 hours ago, SumTingWong said:

Well the N was clearly a typo, guilty as charged on the grammar front, and as for the humor bit all I can really say is that it was a lazy Sunday morning and I gave it the old college try. Just wanted to lighten the mood and at the same time advertise that the game was currently playing on the NFL Network.

Sincerely sorry if it missed the mark.

No offense intended. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Definitely no offense taken, and don't give up on the humour front. My attempts at it almost always fall short of the mark, but it doesn't stop me plugging away! Quantity over quality and all that.

2 hours ago, max21 said:

I just  watched all of this. Unreal to see JKC and Gibbs presented with the Lombardi. Cooke said he thinks the Redskins can be a dynasty for the next 25 years or something like that along as he is alive. I couldn’t imagine actually seeing the Redskins win a Super Bowl live, it would be incredible. When the Capitals finally won it I was on cloud 9 for months. One can dream with the Redskins. 

I used to spend hours upon hours watching my Dad’s old VHS tapes of the Gibbs 1.0 era until they finally gave out or got lost.

Just a totally different era. We were not only respected by other teams— we were feared. Nowadays on the rare occasions when we’re considered at all by the NFL community it’s as a laughingstock or side show, a paragon of ineptitude, the proverbial can’t get it right crew. Certainly not as a worthy challenger for the throne.

Hopefully with Rivera’s arrival our tribulation period in fandom purgatory will soon come to an end.

The Redskins just pushed them around after that first quarter. Passing, running, defense. The dominance of the offensive line was like watching a mismatch of a college powerhouse when they play a small school. It was ridiculous. If they wanted they could have run up the score to 70 points. 

I’m glad it wasn’t close. Because I think that play where Williams got banged up would have been called a fumble almost any other time. 

13 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Ah, I thought it was funny, lol. And I was watching at the time and was HOPING to see Schroeder come in after that first quarter. That's how much of an idiot I apparently am. 

I remember watching with some family friends (I was 12), and I remember quoting star wars when Schroeder came in. "We're doomed."  (One of my favorite go-to lines at the time.)  

I couldn't watch the re-broadcast on Sunday, but I remember watching it years ago on NFL Network.  If I remember correctly, didn't they plug this new show, "Wonder Years" in the middle of the broadcast?  Or am I thinking of another game? I thought it was that one. 

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

If I remember correctly, didn't they plug this new show, "Wonder Years" in the middle of the broadcast?  Or am I thinking of another game? I thought it was that one. 

Yep. Was watching the broadcast on the greatest games dvd set a few weeks back and indeed they did do a plug for the pilot. It was broadcast following the game.

Archived