EDGE: Montez Sweat

LB: Thomas Davis

LB: Cole Holcomb

CB: Ronald Darby

CB: Fabian Moreau

CB/S: Kendall Fuller

S: Landon Collins

S: Sean Davis

Battle to watch: Who earns linebacker snaps?

The linebacker position is wide open in Washington. I listed Thomas Davis Sr. and Cole Holcomb as my best guess at the top two players on the depth chart, but the truth is that Shaun Dion Hamilton, Jon Bostic and Reuben Foster, among others, could draw starter snaps this season. Seeing who comes out on top at this position and who ends up not making the roster will be something to monitor leading up to the 2020 NFL season. 

Name to watch: Antonio Gibson

Somewhere between traditional running back and wide receiver, Gibson figures to be an offensive weapon who won’t slot into the starting lineup at running back ahead of players such as Derrius Guice and Adrian Peterson nor in the slot over someone like Steven Sims. That doesn’t mean he won’t see playing time. I expect Gibson to provide a spark on the offense that the Redskins are missing and build his role as the season progresses

Rosenthal projects the starters, with Charles and Schweitzer on the left side of the line.

He's got Kerrigan starting over Sweat.

With only Holcomb and Davis at LB. And Fuller, Moreau and Darby starting at CB

(FWIW)

Of the receivers, he says " it's expecting way too much out of Haskins to carry a group of second-year players"

Funny, they didn't do too shabby in their FIRST year

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfc-east-projected-starters-cowboys-defense-full-of-questions

• 1 month later...

The Athletic has a color graded system to show our current offensive talent level (they're doing a defense version later):

https://theathletic.com/1912063/2020/07/07/blue-chip-talent-is-lacking-when-breaking-down-washingtons-offensive-personnel/

newoffense.jpg

I suppose it's hard to argue about that.  For funsies I whipped up two different grades for how I hope the roster looks after a full 2020 season has been played.  First is wildly optimistic.  The second is more realistic but still hopeful.

Overly Optimistic

Color Grade Quarterback Runningback Wide Receiver Tight End Offensive Tackle Guard Center
Blue   Derrius Guice Terry McLaurin     Brandon Scherff  
Red Dwayne Haskins   Steven Sims       Chase Roullier
Purple   Adrian Peterson Kelvin Harmon   Morgan Moses Wes Martin  

Christian/Charles

Green   Antonio Gibson Antonio Gandy Golden Thaddeus Moss     Keith Ismael
    JD McKissic Isaiah Wright        
    Bryce Love          
Orange Kyle Allen Peyton Barber Trey Quinn Logan Thomas Cornelius Lucas Wes Schweitzer
Ross Pierschbacher
      Cody Latimer Hale Hentges      
        Jeremy Sprinkle      
Yellow              
Gray              

More Realistic, but still hopeful

Color Grade Quarterback Runningback Wide Receiver Tight End Offensive Tackle Guard Center
Blue     Terry McLaurin     Brandon Scherff  
Red   Derrius Guice          
Purple Dwayne Haskins Adrian Peterson Steven Sims   Morgan Moses Wes Martin Chase Roullier

Christian/Charles

Green   Antonio Gibson
Antonio Gandy Golden
      Keith Ismael
    Bryce Love          
Orange Kyle Allen JD McKissic Kelvin Harmon Thaddeus Moss Cornelius Lucas Wes Schweitzer  
    Peyton Barber Isaiah Wright Logan Thomas      
        Hale Hentges      
Yellow     Trey Quinn Jeremy Sprinkle    
Ross Pierschbacher
      Cody Latimer        
Gray              

On 5/19/2020 at 7:17 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Defense

DI: Jonathan Allen

DI: Da’Ron Payne

EDGE: Chase Young

The linebacker position is wide open in Washington. I listed Thomas Davis Sr. and Cole Holcomb as my best guess at the top two players on the depth chart, but the truth is that Shaun Dion Hamilton, Jon Bostic and Reuben Foster, among others, could draw starter snaps this season. Seeing who comes out on top at this position and who ends up not making the roster will be something to monitor leading up to the 2020 NFL season. 

Somewhere between traditional running back and wide receiver, Gibson figures to be an offensive weapon who won’t slot into the starting lineup at running back ahead of players such as Derrius Guice and Adrian Peterson nor in the slot over someone like Steven Sims

Maybe you know more than me.  But I was confused about your front six.  Since we switch to the 4-3 that would make it a front seven.  I’m not that confident in Davis (age).  Holcombe shows flashes; hopefully he takes a huge step forward.  Foster if he was healthy would give me no worries at the linebacker position (we’d be good enough at either side to get by with him in the middle).  But as it stands, I think it’s our weakest group on either side of the ball. Reuben might not be ready til mid season if that, I don’t know.

On offense I want Gibson to start, not slighting Latimer, but Gibson will be that impactful I think.  Running back I have no worries.  I have some faith in O line.

On 5/19/2020 at 8:46 PM, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's too early to count out Latimer, and I don't think Rivera is going to make an impulsive decision to cut him.

Especially considering Latimer appears to be the one experienced veteran they brought in, to fill that role.

If I'm not mistaken, he has far more experience than anyone in our WR room.

Due process will play out.

I agree, Latimer can make an impact on this team if he isn't released for the personal issue. I wouldn't count him out just yet.

I just saw this and didn't see it posted. Sucks I have been a big fan of Harmons:

• Washington WR Kelvin Harmon has been diagnosed with a torn ACL and will miss the 2020 season. 

Harmon suffered the injury getting in shape for camp. The No. 206 overall pick of last year's draft, Harmon made some noise down the stretch for Washington's undermanned receiver corps. Although he lacked an ADP in fantasy drafts, Harmon was on track for a 2020 role. Washington's receiver depth chart is now ludicrously thin behind Terry McLaurin. Steven Sims and Antonio Gibson's arrows are pointed skyward. Five months shy of his 24th birthday, Harmon is not much of a Dynasty league stash. 

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to get some help for Dwayne with someone like Josh Gordon now that Kelvin Harmon got injured but I don't think we will sign someone. And honestly, I feel like it makes a lot of sense either way.

The cap could go as low as 175 million dollars next season. That would put a lot of other teams in cap hell. If there is no other solution implemented by the NFL I guess a lot of veterans will get cut for cap reasons. That is an advantage for teams that are slated to have a lot of cap space next season. By cutting Alex Smith and potentially Morgan Moses we would have about 50 million cap space even with the lowered cap. If we establish ourselves as a team with some promise for the future this season next year could potentially be a great year to go hard after good free agents - especially if there is no college season. So it could absolutely make sense to save every dollar.

People will hate it but Josh Gordon would make a great cheap option at #2 WR across from McLaurin, with Sims in the slot. Make AGG develop and try to beat out Gordon. He won't be what he was (a freak) but he's better than what we have and Rivera would be good for him. Won't happen especially due to the lack of practice time bc of the pandemic, but it would be interesting. 

Do we know which category we fall into?

1. 90-man roster as usual, but splitting the team between two locations.

2. 80-man roster all in one spot.

To my knowledge, those are the two choices teams have. Seems dumb with just 10 extra guys to require such a large change.

Is this where we are tracking those who Opt Out for Covid? Players have until Aug 3 to opt out over fear of Corona. If they do they are out for the season and cannot return. 

I just saw that Caleb Brantley opted out. Only Washington player i know of so far. 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/a-teambyteam-look-at-which-nfl-players-have-opted-out-of-the-2020-season-due-to-coronavirus-concerns-143034892.html

On 5/19/2020 at 7:17 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Projecting all 32 NFL starting lineups ahead of the 2020 season

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Offense

QB: Dwayne Haskins

RB: Derrius Guice

WR: Terry McLaurin

WR: Cody Latimer

Slot: Steven Sims

TE: Jeremy Sprinkle

LT: Cornelius Lucas

LG: Wes Schweitzer

😄 Chase Roullier

RG: Brandon Scherff

RT: Morgan Moses

Defense

DI: Jonathan Allen

DI: Da’Ron Payne

EDGE: Chase Young

Somewhere between traditional running back and wide receiver, Gibson figures to be an offensive weapon who won’t slot into the starting lineup at running back ahead of players such as Derrius Guice and Adrian Peterson nor in the slot over someone like Steven Sims. That doesn’t mean he won’t see playing time. I expect Gibson to provide a spark on the offense that the Redskins are missing and build his role as the season progresses

So, if I am reading this right, you think that we are moving to a 4-2-5 base defense.  With two LB's?  And you have Cody Latimer as a starting WR, when he isn't even in camp now, and most likely will be cut.  He wasn't going to make the team, even if he was in camp, and you have him as a starter?  Hey strange things happen, maybe your right and the rest of us are wrong.  

1 minute ago, Shakazullo21 said:

So, if I am reading this right, you think that we are moving to a 4-2-5 base defense.  With two LB's?  And you have Cody Latimer as a starting WR, when he isn't even in camp now, and most likely will be cut.  He wasn't going to make the team, even if he was in camp, and you have him as a starter?  Hey strange things happen, maybe your right and the rest of us are wrong.  

On 7/10/2020 at 11:12 AM, HTTRDynasty said:

That's PFF's lineup, not mine.

A couple things I noticed about Harmon, that may or may not mean anything.

But first, I noticed that he physically reported today with everyone else. That by itself may not mean much.

But also, he was placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list. That means he will still count as a roster spot. So, it sounds like maybe his injury may not be as serious, as originally thought ? I mean, if he was out for the year, as some people have stated - why would we use a designation that takes up a roster spot ?

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

But also, he was placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury list. That means he will still count as a roster spot. So, it sounds like maybe his injury may not be as serious, as originally thought ? I mean, if he was out for the year, as some people have stated - why would we use a designation that takes up a roster spot ?

I guess we are well under the 90 player limit. I mean we only picked up 4 UDFA so there isn’t a great desire to pad out the numbers with players who have limited chance to make the team. I’d guess that designation in Harmon will change when final cuts rolls around.

Archived