Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Games of the XXXII Olympiad - Tokyo Japan - What Was Your Favorite Olympics Moment?

PleaseBlitz

The 4x100 men's track team is a disgrace. They consistently fail to complete basic baton exchanges in major competitions. Something needs to change and fast. They ALWAYS blow it. Unacceptable. 

Oh **** and Holloway didn't win the gold in hurdles?! Damn....bad showing at the track in these Olympics by the Americans. I am embarrassed. 

Edited by abdcskins

I like basketball. I follow the nba super casually. I read the nba/wizards thread at least a few times a week - rarely post. 

it seems like USA bball people just don’t really care. I mean you see they do sometimes - and they dominate - but seems like a lot of the bad stuff looks like they don’t really care. Like they just think they can flip a switch whenever they want so, they don’t bother trying that hard all the time - and to be fair it seems like they’re right, and just bad at waiting too long to flip the switch or relying on that ability too much. 

does that seem accurate? Or no, just the world catching up?

1 hour ago, tshile said:

I like basketball. I follow the nba super casually. I read the nba/wizards thread at least a few times a week - rarely post. 

it seems like USA bball people just don’t really care. I mean you see they do sometimes - and they dominate - but seems like a lot of the bad stuff looks like they don’t really care. Like they just think they can flip a switch whenever they want so, they don’t bother trying that hard all the time - and to be fair it seems like they’re right, and just bad at waiting too long to flip the switch or relying on that ability too much. 

I think it is a little bit of both. I wouldn't say they don't care - they definitely do. I think opposing teams come out with tons of effort and focus, and it takes the US a bit to adjust. Can't discount the coaching, the US has an amazing group of coaches who I'm sure are able to read opposing teams and make the necessary switches.

There is probably a nonchalant factor though. That's why it is great to have leaders like Durant who are willing to step up and take huge shots. They need to be very composed against France, that is a very good team. Get out on their shooters and close the gaps. I have liked our defense these games, guys are hustling, which shows me they care.

We're on to the final of the basketball tournament, with a key winning block from Batum during the last seconds of the game 90-89. Same thing with our volleyball team.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Destino said:

Good close to the half for the US.  

The world hasn’t caught up with the US offensively, but the days where American basketball stars could just score at will against other nations, like the dream teams could, are dead and gone.  There are a lot of teams playing pro level team defense.

What saves the US is those final moments of the half and the game, where everything slows down and individual players have to just go and get buckets.  We still have the best, and the most, big time scoring options.  

I feel like there is something of a refusal to acknowledge the obvious in international basketball tournament play, in an effort to promote the idea that basketball is a broadly competitive world sport.  Some of the good international teams have NBA players who couldn't make our team but have more connection to this country than than to the flag they're playing under.  Matisse Thybulle is an American, for example.  He just spent some time in Australia as a kid.  Most of the best INT players have spent almost their entire basketball careers in the USA and played for American AAU, H.S., and college teams.  This is still an American game and 80% of the top players in the world are Americans.  We handicap ourselves with the way we run Team USA.  If the best American players gave career long term commitments starting as teenagers and spent years playing together and being coached by the same group, they would never win a game by less than 30 points in tournament play, much less ever lose.  As is, we can cobble a C-team together in two weeks and still make a run to gold.  FFS, Javale McGee made this edition of team USA.  We played this tournament with both hands and a foot tied behind our back and just won a semifinal game by 20.

12 hours ago, tshile said:

Our guys don't grow up dreaming about playing in the Olympics. They grow up wanting to play in the NBA, be an All Star, win a championship, get shoe deals etc.

Then you factor in the NBA season ending super late. A lot of these guys are pretty worn down.

But ultimately it shouldn't matter. Our guys have to play REALLY below par for anyone else to even have a chance. If we play even at like a B- level nobody else stands a chance.

33 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Call me old fashioned, but I truly believe a gold medal soccer team should be required to score at least one goal on offense in the semis or the finals.

The olympics mens soccer is a joke.  There is an age limit (I think 23) and teams are only allowed 3 exceptions to that age limit.  None of the big countries save Brazil care about it.

31 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

The olympics mens soccer is a joke.  There is an age limit (I think 23) and teams are only allowed 3 exceptions to that age limit.  None of the big countries save Brazil care about it.

I was referring to the Canada women’s team winning the gold medal. The VAR rules are absurd. If it’s not an obvious enough penalty for the ref to call it, it’s not a goddamn penalty. 

@skinsfan_1215

Plenty of men's tournaments end the same way... 0-0 and penalties. 

I have not seen the VAR from the gold medal game, but unfortunately the penalty against the US Women's team was legit. The Canadian player out-hustled the defender who kicked her in the back of the leg instead of clearing the ball.  It wasn't intentional, but it was negligent.  If not a penalty, it could have been a straight red for DOGSO.... 

30 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I was referring to the Canada women’s team winning the gold medal. The VAR rules are absurd. If it’s not an obvious enough penalty for the ref to call it, it’s not a goddamn penalty. 

The VAR rules state: "it must overturn a clear and obvious mistake".  VAR is one of the best things to happen to international soccer.