Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Games of the XXXII Olympiad - Tokyo Japan - What Was Your Favorite Olympics Moment?

PleaseBlitz

I love the Olympics.  2 weeks of watching crazy sports that you only see once every four years and you are automatically assigned a desperate rooting interest by nationality.  

The 2020 Summer Olympics are being held in Tokyp Japan, which is great. This is the second Olympics in a row hosted by actual civilization after the previous 2 were hosted by a dystopian nightmare (Sochi) and a chemical toilet (Rio), respectively. It starts July 24. 

Anyways, this year should be ****ING AMAZING.  I am so excited. 

It’s really early, so I’ll keep adding to this OP, but here are the big early stories. 

Russia is ****ing BANNED

Seriously, **** Russia in all respects. They had a state sponsored cheating regime.  Its like if Donald Trump directed the CIA to steal signs for the Astros AND ALSO TO INJECT THEM WITH ROIDS. The NY Times describes it as “a yearslong cheating scheme that has tarnished sports, rendered Russia a sports pariah and exacerbated tension between Moscow and the West.”  Russia as a country is banned, but some Russian individuals may be able to compete. You’ll be able to identify them because the women will have dicks and the men will have 2 dicks. Boo the **** out of Russians. 

DependableUnrealisticJay-size_restricted

Simone Biles is Superhuman

Full disclosure, Simone Biles is my 4 year old’s hero. She is also my hero. She is already the greatest gymnast of all time. She had to deal with the ****ing Larry Nassar ****. Her Insta feed is amazing. She has 25 gold medals in Olympics and world championships.  You can easily google her incredibleness, but the most recent thing is she is evidently planning on doing a vault that no other woman has ever even attempted. 

Mascots

1200px-Tokyo_2020_mascots.svg.png

These are the mascots. Per my usual, i have done no research but have named these two HADUKEN, the fennec fox who arrives to work first and is the last to leave, and Sailor Moon Pokemon Girl, because clearly I don’t know how Japanese culture works. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

What about the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics?  Even if this crisis is long over by then, would people really want to go to China?

By the time all is said and done there will be a lot more coronavirus cases outside of China than in.  So really, a better question is would China want people from outside to come in?

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Russia banned from using its name, flag, anthem at next 2 Olympics

Russia was banned Thursday from using its name, flag and anthem at the next two Olympics or at any world championships for the next two years.

The Court of Arbitration for Sport’s ruling also blocked Russia from bidding to host major sporting events for two years.

Russian athletes and teams will still be allowed to compete at next year’s Tokyo Olympics and the 2022 Winter Games in Beijing, as well as world championships including the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, if they are not implicated in doping or covering up positive tests.

The punishments are less than the four-year ban the World Anti-Doping Agency had proposed.

One small win for Russia is the proposed team name at major events. The name “Russia” can be retained on uniforms if the words “Neutral Athlete” or “Neutral Team” have equal prominence, the court said.

Still, the court's three judges imposed the most severe penalties on Russia since allegations of state-backed doping and cover-ups emerged after the 2014 Sochi Olympics.

The case centered on accusations that Russian state authorities tampered with a database from the Moscow testing laboratory before handing it over to WADA investigators last year. It contained likely evidence to prosecute long-standing doping violations.

The CAS process was formally between WADA and the Russian anti-doping agency. The Russian agency, known as Rusada, was ruled non-compliant last year — a decision upheld Thursday by the three judges.

Rusada was also ordered to pay $1.27 million to WADA.

Click on the link for the full article

• 1 month later...

This is sad news.  :( 

Good news is that Russia is still banned for whenever it gets rescheduled :)  And I think it will get rescheduled to 2022.  I remember being a kid, you had the winter and summer Olympics in the same year and then they switched it up so it alternated every two years between winter and summer olympics.  But that meant there had to be 2 years between Olympics to start that alternation and as a result you had the '92 winter Olympics in Albertville and the '94 Nancy Kerrigan Knee Games in Lillehammer.

So it's not unprecedented to have two years between Olympics.  That, and I don't think Japan would allow their time to pass without hosting it.  They'll get it figured out.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

4 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

This is sad news.  :( 

Good news is that Russia is still banned for whenever it gets rescheduled :)  And I think it will get rescheduled to 2022.  I remember being a kid, you had the winter and summer Olympics in the same year and then they switched it up so it alternated every two years between winter and summer olympics.  But that meant there had to be 2 years between Olympics to start that alternation and as a result you had the '92 winter Olympics in Albertville and the '94 Nancy Kerrigan Knee Games in Lillehammer.

So it's not unprecedented to have two years between Olympics.  That, and I don't think Japan would allow their time to pass without hosting it.  They'll get it figured out.

Right, cancellation doesn't seem necessary yet especially with the vaccine becoming available. At worst, I see them pushing it to 2022...and if somehow the situation isn't improved by this time next year, then you could pull the plug. 

Holding the games is only economically feasible for Japan if it brings large amounts of related tourism...particularly from the West.

If you’re a 50 year old guy in VA that’s always wanted to go to the Summer games, are you gonna spend an arm and a leg to hit Japan in 2022 OR just hold off and catch Paris 2024 for a comparative bargain?

Easy answer, I think.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Get your **** together Tokyo.  

An earthquake at the Olympic torch relay start point is just the beleaguered Tokyo 2020 Games' latest crisis

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/14/sport/japan-earthquake-olympics-hnk-intl/index.html

Tokyo (CNN)Less than six weeks before the Olympic torch relay was due to begin in Fukushima, showcasing the region's recovery from a catastrophic nuclear disaster a decade ago, the Japanese prefecture has once again been rocked by a powerful earthquake.

The 7.1 magnitude quake which hit the region on Saturday was, for many, a painful reminder of the 9.0 magnitude earthquake that struck the same area almost 10 years ago, causing a tsunami and the subsequent notorious nuclear meltdown.

Saturday's quake is just the latest in a long line of setbacks to beleaguer Tokyo 2020.

From the scrapping of a proposed $2 billion national stadium and a plagiarized Olympic logo, to the resignation of the Tokyo 2020 president over sexist comments about women and, of course, a global pandemic which has caused the event to be delayed by a year -- and continues to provide huge logistical challenges -- the event has been beset by frustrations.

That has made the event's more than $25 billion price tag hard to swallow for some inside the country, particularly in Fukushima where many are still struggling to recover from the impact of the 2011 earthquake and nuclear meltdown.

Much more at link, none of it good. 

On 1/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Holding the games is only economically feasible for Japan if it brings large amounts of related tourism...particularly from the West.

If you’re a 50 year old guy in VA that’s always wanted to go to the Summer games, are you gonna spend an arm and a leg to hit Japan in 2022 OR just hold off and catch Paris 2024 for a comparative bargain?

Easy answer, I think.

How about neither. Cheaper to wait for Los Angeles in 2028.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/22/2021 at 11:07 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

Easy answer, I think.

Paris 2024 is on my radar too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Japan moves forward with Olympics despite COVID crisis and public doubts: "It's a tug of war"

As Tokyo marked 50 days until the start of the summer Olympics, most of Japan is still under a COVID-19 state of emergency.

Tokyo unveiled this year's gold, silver and bronze medals and winners podium with pomp even though many Japanese say the games should be called off.

The chief Olympics organizer said the games that were supposed to be held last year cannot be postponed again, CBS News' Ramy Inocencio reports.

The popular protest has engulfed the Olympic bubble, with Tokyo 2020 President Seiko Hashimoto forced to address concerns. In an interview with BBC, Hashimoto said all athletes will be in a bubble to defend their health, and if outbreaks should happen, organizers should be prepared to go "without any spectators."

The games have become a hot topic between health officials, Olympic organizers and the Japanese government. Japan societal expert Seijiro Take****a says people need to get vaccinated, but it will be "very difficult" for Japan to accelerate enough to make sure everyone's protected.

The pace of vaccination has been slow. Japan vowed to administer 1 million doses daily. It currently is only giving 500,000 per day.

More infections and deaths are happening now compared to when Tokyo froze the games in March 2020. Japan's top COVID-19 adviser said, "It's not normal to hold the Olympic games in a situation like this."

A state of emergency has just been extended to June 20. It now blankets much of Japan. Around 10,000 Olympic volunteers of 80,000 have now quit.

Click on the link for the full article