Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread Vol 2---Read OP For Thread Rules

Jumbo

28 minutes ago, China said:

If you've ever seen the show Bargain Mansions on HGTV, pretty much all her makeovers are done in shades of whiite, off white, and gray.

My folks watch a ton of those shows. I honestly can't tell them apart. Except for the Christina by the coast one cuz she cutes. Tho according to my mom she has like five kids. That's a bit excessive. 🤣

• Haha 1

Just now, Captain Wiggles said:

My folks watch a ton of those shows. I honestly can't tell them apart. Except for the Christina by the coast one cuz she cutes. Tho according to my mom she has like five kids. That's a bit excessive. 🤣

Her voice is annoying jacuzzi ads.  ugh.

• Haha 1

I used to have someone mow the lawn here but I figured I might as well do it myself plus it's a small patch of townhouse land. it's not a large yard or anything. 

I figured I might just buy a non electric or gas type mower. they seem quiet and do the job. 

do you all have electric mowers or something similar to the wheely dealie I got 

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Thumb up 1

Yinz buy one of them old timey push reel mowers? 🤔

My hoa does all the lawn stuff. Today was apparently the rescheduled day the turf jerks were spraying fertilizer or whatever poisonous crap they spray every other month. Grass still looks like **** btw.

Thanks for the heads up jerks. Walked my dog right out into it after it was sprayed. Seriously $200 a month in dues is another reason I'm moving. 

14 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I used to have someone mow the lawn here but I figured I might as well do it myself plus it's a small patch of townhouse land. it's not a large yard or anything. 

I figured I might just buy a non electric or gas type mower. they seem quiet and do the job. 

do you all have electric mowers or something similar to the wheely dealie I got 

Corded electric mowers are usually cheaper than battery ones. Gas ones are the cheapest though.

That said, a couple of things to consider.

Do you have access to an outlet outside? You'll prob need a 25' or 50' extension cord if you go the corded electric mower route. Also, do you have somewhere to store a mower in the first place? Garage space or shed? 

We got a cheap Greenworks one for my in-laws that I use there about 1 to 2x a month. Does the job if you aren't looking for anything too powerful.

Fwiw,  I much prefer gas ones or even battery pack ones, since the cord is a hassle to deal with. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

My hoa does all the lawn stuff. Today was apparently the rescheduled day the turf jerks were spraying fertilizer or whatever poisonous crap they spray every other month. Grass still looks like **** btw.

Thanks for the heads up jerks. Walked my dog right out into it after it was sprayed. Seriously $200 a month in dues is another reason I'm moving. 

Damn.  I pay a guy I've known forever $75 every month and he's hired some really ****ty dudes recently.  I look forward to the summer when his kid is out of college...he does a much better job. 

And I've got a big back yard, it's a nuisance. 

• Thumb up 1

32 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Corded electric mowers are usually cheaper than battery ones. Gas ones are the cheapest though.

Do you have access to an outlet outside? You'll prob need a 25' or 50' extension cord if you go the corded electric mower route. Also, do you have somewhere to store a mower in the first place? Garage space or shed? 

We got a cheap Greenworks one for my in-laws that I use there about 1 to 2x a month. Does the job if you aren't looking for anything too powerful.

Fwiw,  I much prefer gas ones or even battery pack ones, since the cord is a hassle to deal with. 

It's not either it's one of those wheel machines that cuts grass without gas or electricity 

45 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I wish the hoa would, they only do the front strip in front of the sidewalk 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Damn.  I pay a guy I've known forever $75 every month and he's hired some really ****ty dudes recently. 

$75 is around what I paid monthly when I moved in. The dues cover pretty much everything outside the townhouse. For example they've replaced the roof twice in the fifteen years I've lived here. Plus there's a big pool n community building. So it's not too terrible. I just don't really use any of it. 🤣

My "yard" is 2' x 5.'  The rest of my frontage is driveway and I don't have a backyard.

My HOA recently had some drama.  Turns out the HOA board a few months ago entered into an agreement with a car service to pick people up and take them to the airport (any of National, BWI or Dulles).  Under the agreement, any homeowner in our community can schedule this free car services.  However, the Board didn't tell anyone that they entered into the agreement.  

Someone looked into the Board member's facebook feeds and, turns out, several of them travel a lot for work.  

So, essentially, the HOA Board hired themselves a private car service using HOA money.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

The cord is a pain in the ass, which is why I have the battery one.  I had a rechargeable electric previously for about 10 years.  Eventually the batteries needed replacing, but there was no good way to get the cover off.  I finally ripped it off, bought replacement batteries and reattached the cover with duct tape.  When the second set of batteries died last year, I bought a new Greenworks battery mower.  It has spots for two batteries but can run on just one, so you can be charging one while running on one.  But one battery has been enough to do my whole yard.

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

My "yard" is 2" x 5."  The rest of my frontage is driveway and I don't have a backyard.

My HOA recently had some drama.  Turns out the HOA board a few months ago entered into an agreement with a car service to pick people up and take them to the airport (any of National, BWI or Dulles).  Under the agreement, any homeowner in our community can schedule this free car services.  However, the Board didn't tell anyone that they entered into the agreement.  

Someone looked into the Board member's facebook feeds and, turns out, several of them travel a lot for work.  

So, essentially, the HOA Board hired themselves a private car service using HOA money.  

I know townhouse yards are small, but two inches, by 5 inches?  You could cut that with a pair of scissors.

Edited by China
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, China said:

The cord is a pain in the ass, which is why I have the battery one.  I had a rechargeable electric previously for about 10 years.  Eventually the batteries needed replacing, but there was no good way to get the cover off.  I finally ripped it off, bought replacement batteries and reattached the cover with duct tape.  When the second set of batteries died last year, I bought a new Greenworks battery mower.  It has spots for two batteries but can run on just one, so you can be charging one while running on one.  But one battery has been enough to do my whole yard.

I know townhouse yards are small, but two inches, by 5 inches?  You could cut that with a pair of scissors.

LOL, my bad. I edited. 

44 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Imagine that.  

@PleaseBlitzcan you get all lawyerin on em or anything?  

I'm just going to use the car service as much as I can, and I have a ton of travel coming up. 

My community does have a guy who is a lawyer for the government so he (1) is a lawyer and (2) has a lot of free time.  He's like the neighborhood HOA watchdog, and I learned about this whole thing because he sends a periodic "newsletter" reporting on the HOA (literally from an email address that is [his first name]HOAupdate@gmail.com.

Ah suburbia. 

• Like 1

Wish hospitals had a bar...

Dad had surgery, saw him and my Mom cry today separately, both are fine.

Glad I took today and tomorrow off. **** will be there when you get back, my Wife is awesome.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

New Orthopedics DR says that I can get my knee replaced in my one remaining leg if the CT scan look good. Should have talked to someone sooner. The last Dr said that it wouldn't work because of the osteomyelitis. So surgery in May then I might actually be able to use my prosthetic and pretend to be normal again.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2