Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: WASHINGTON #REDSKINS AND SCHAFFER MUTUALLY PART WAYS

TK

4 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

Another option is the guy is already in the building. But I agree, I believe it'll be solved post draft.

I think if there weren't options favored above Smith, he'd already have the promotion. We obviously prefer an out-of-house candidate, right? Or he'd have the job. 

That's not to say he couldn't still be the fallback option. But he's clearly not Rivera's #1 dream candidate. 

51 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Well, almost nothing worked, so...not sure what you mean by that. 

I'm sure he's very good at his job and a nice guy. I'm also sure it can't hurt to purge anyone who learned to thrive in this chaotic viper pit of a culture. No thanks to anyone who proved they could be happy putting in 17 years under Snyder. Immediate disqualification for me. I don't even like Doug staying on, they're all tainted. 

I also don't know how some portion of the blame for the $36M cap penalty doesn't fall on the shoulders of our cap guru who also happens to be the team's lawyer. If there's one guy in the organization I would expect to be able to sniff around and realize the league isn't kidding about their illegal (yes I agree it was collusion, it doesn't matter in the end for us or CHI or DAL) unwritten warnings not to take advantage of the capless off-season, it's the Cap expert...then we restructured D-Hall and Haynesworth's deals in a cap-savvy but common-sense dumb fashion, and the rest is history. How does NONE of the blame for that fall on the expert responsible for managing our cap and contracts? Almost no other team was dumb enough to try to call the bluff (hint: not a bluff!) of one of the most arrogant and hard-headed professional sports leagues in the world.

Because the NFL had zero authority to punish anyone over this. None. Whatsoever. Zero.

The ONLY reason the cap penalty occurred was because Goodell basically threatened to renege on promises he made to the NFLPA, as well as freeze the salary cap--and thus make it damn hard for players to get a good payday that year, making the players angry and wanting DeMaurice Smith ousted from a position he just got 3 years prior--if the union didn't agree to help them punish the Skins, Cowboys, and a few others.

It would be like having the president of the tenants association in your apartment building threatened everyone with unspecified punishment if you parked in the wrong space. Only, the tenants association has no authority, control, or ability to punish. So most of your neighbors just go along while you and a few others park wherever the hell you want, because there is nothing the tenant association can do about it and it is raining and there's a spot right near the door that doesn't belong to anyone so why not.

Late in my military days, I'd attend change of commands and visit with leaders later after the change. As we walked through the unit speaking to the mid level (and even some upper level personnel), we'd get a better feel of the overall moral. I think that is what is taking place with Rivera. Fact is, non of the people released by Rivera (if you will) thus far lack professional experience or ability. They may just lack the level of motivation Rivera is looking for on his team.  Then again, I'm sure each of them had some level of evaluation that may have been disregarded over the years. That happens in poorly run organization. Looks like Rivera's other job is to clean it up.  

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think if there weren't options favored above Smith, he'd already have the promotion. We obviously prefer an out-of-house candidate, right? Or he'd have the job. 

That's not to say he couldn't still be the fallback option. But he's clearly not Rivera's #1 dream candidate. 

That's probably right.

And for once I would love for Rivera to find someone outside the Carolina's box.

4 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

Patiently awaiting the press release for parting ways with Larry Michael.

Why? He is a bit of a homer(I really hate that term but it does really fit here) but is a nice guy. I love it when he and Cooley get into it during games...  lol  

32 minutes ago, bobisimo said:

Personally, while I really like Doug Williams, I never had a real sense of what his specific role was. Not sure if his new role is a demotion, a lateral move, or what, but at least his job duty is specific: "Doug will be... making sure that all of our players have the guidance and resources needed to be successful on and off the field." Sounds kind of like a mentor-type role where he can advocate for players.

Losing Schaeffer seems like a big deal based on Keim's comments that he's the smartest guy in the room, but really, this position is just about managing the cap and signing players. I'm probably totally off-base, but if a team has a bunch of bad contracts, I'm looking more at the GM than the guy who crafted the contract. I mean, if you overpay for a guy because there's a bidding war, but the negotiator was told to get a deal done, what's he supposed to do other than get the deal done?

But in the end, this basically cements that Rivera is calling every shot. And, likely, is a breath of fresh air for other teams and players in their dealings with us. Maybe this will improve relations and increase trade opportunities, for example.

I'm dating myself, but I never really knew what Radar's role in MASH was other than hooking **** up. IMO, having a good solid culture is priceless. It doesn't feel like Doug gets caught up in the office bull****. He's played the game, won a Superbowl and surely understands adversity. Some people you keep around because of who they are and what they bring to the team. If any of you out there has ever been a Army recruiter, you'd know about a guy we all call "Old Soldier". 

https://www.army.mil/article/213798/a_beloved_soldier_and_the_tokens_he_kept

1 hour ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Personally I wonder why we’re keeping Doug rather than Eric?  What has he done honestly? 

Doug won a Super Bowl and that matters to Dan. Qualified or not he's part of Dan's fond memories as a fan. That's how he runs this business and that's why I'd prefer to see a non fan General Manager making the personnel decisions down the line.

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

The Larry Michael hate always makes me laugh.  He’s a company man.  You need at least one of those.  😂

No, you don't understand. If the the company reeks of backstabbing and strife, you have to choose who you fire first wisely. That means you have to fire the greeter who hands out smiley stickers. It's the only way you can be sure the former CEO doesn't have any more influence.

But whatever you do, don't fire the ex-CEO's lead accountant. That's taking things too far lol

2 hours ago, joeken24 said:

I'm dating myself, but I never really knew what Radar's role in MASH was other than hooking **** up. IMO, having a good solid culture is priceless. It doesn't feel like Doug gets caught up in the office bull****. He's played the game, won a Superbowl and surely understands adversity. Some people you keep around because of who they are and what they bring to the team. If any of you out there has ever been a Army recruiter, you'd know about a guy we all call "Old Soldier". 

https://www.army.mil/article/213798/a_beloved_soldier_and_the_tokens_he_kept

Radar was like Klinger...comic relief

2 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

wizard_oz_0712.jpg

Name the year out of the 17 you started to feel that way. 

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

The Larry Michael hate always makes me laugh.  He’s a company man.  You need at least one of those.  😂

He's the old soldier of the Redskins

4 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

He has done a good job managing the cap. We are a couple of cuts away from close to 100 million in cap space. I guess personnel guy is the wrong term. Maybe cap guy instead?

Ah yeah I got you, that was my misunderstanding. I generally associate "personnel guy" with the talent guys whereas yeah Schaffer is the money/cap guy. 

Was kind of bummed to hear this news.  We can speculate all we want about Schaffer and what he did/didn't do over his tenure here.  

One thing I do know is that he seemingly kept us out of "cap hell" for a number of years.  I agree with @bobisimo's take, that the signings shouldn't be looked at as Schaffer's fault...the GM wanted who he wanted, it was up to Schaffer to figure out the best way to structure the contract.  

Now I'm sure that he's not the only cap guru out there but it's an important FO role.   

And for the record, as much as I like Doug Williams, I am not sure what he does, either....other than having been sent out in front of the firing squad for Bruce's bad decisions over the years.  

Archived