Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

6 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Confinement isn't designed to last forever.   It's to buy time so that countries can model what South Korea is doing through heavy testing and social distancing.  And that's all to buy time until a vaccine or treatment is developed. 

Maybe long enough to run a clinical or two on whatever drug it is that somebody's running the infomercial for?  

2 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

Didn't Trump dissolve the task force that was supposed to oversee exactly this sort of event?

I believe so, yes. 

and he wants to cut cdc funding. 

not to distract from blaming trump, mostly cause he just deserves it, but bigger picture: that task force wouldn’t have done much to fix the issue here. 

unless you believe that task force was going to recommend shutting down all our borders in January, and that the president was going to follow that recommendation and implement a complete border shut down. 

Anything short would have put us in roughly the same boat. 

the problem is that we don’t have the healthcare infrastructure for this problem. We’re woefully short on:

hospital units

hospital beds

nurses

techs

doctors

ventilators

monitors

masks

gowns

and general PPE gear and training

furthermore the joint commission was doing hospital audits until like two weeks ago. So for all the months of January, February, and the start of March... there were hospitals out there (plenty of them) that were dealing with their joint commission audit instead of prepping for this. This went on into March before the joint commission got their heads out of their asses and stopped audits. 

I don’t think the task force had any authority or ability to fix any of that

hell, most of fixing that would have had to start 10 years ago. 

and there’s whole discussion needed about what amount of money we’re willing to spend on being prepared for something like this. Cause it’s stockpiling resources for a pandemic, or at least creating the production infrastructure to spin all that up in short notice. 

there’s plenty of blame to go around. And trump is a buffoon. 

but when it comes to the systemic failures that have created this... I think looking just at trump is a little narrow minded. It’s much. Bigger than the current sitting president. 

which is why I think it’s likely we see a new agency like homeland security and has a gigantic budget and very strong authority when this is all said and done and a complete report (like the 9/11 commission report) is finished and released. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, FrFan said:

I mean exactly the opposite by showing these facts. Stay home stay safe, life is more important than economics. See the Evolution !

My bad. I think use of the word “confinement” made it sound like you were against the precautions being taken now. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised it's taking Maryland this long to cancel schools for the next week or two.  There's no way it's reasonable to go back and I think they know that.

I guess maybe they're trying to come up with some idea of how long to stay closed before they make an announcement.

Coronavirus in Romania: President places the whole country under quarantine, gets the Army to the streets

A new restriction targets people older than 65, who will have “to stay inside all the time,” Iohannis said.

Furthermore, electronic supervision measures are being prepared for people under quarantine or in isolation, the president announced.

https://www.romania-insider.com/coro...-whole-country

Can I add something else about the "we grandparents are willing to sacrifice for our grandkids" thing.

It really is a wealthy elitist not involved in society (even as Lt. Governor of a state) thing to say.  My mom is in her 70s, but has adopted two kids so she's caring for a 9 and 11 year old.  In my younger daughter's class, at least one set of grand parents are the primary care givers (and to my knowledge the only care givers because I don't know where the actual parents are), and I know of several other cases where the grand parents are an important part of the care giving.  And I'll pretty much guarantee you that is more prevalent in lower income families.

If my mom's kids go back to school, that puts her at a huge risk and potentially means the lost of the only stability that these kids have ever had. 

And I know several people that are planning on graduating from college where part of their plan is to live with mom and dad for a year while they sort things out.  

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, dfitzo53 said:

I'm surprised it's taking Maryland this long to cancel schools for the next week or two.  There's no way it's reasonable to go back and I think they know that.

I guess maybe they're trying to come up with some idea of how long to stay closed before they make an announcement.

Here in South Dakota, we just got the news that schools will at least be closed until May 1st.  Good to know our Governor, is being proactive with this.  I was a little nervous after our Governor became famous for rolling out a anti-drug program with the slogan "Meth, We're on it!"

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Uninsured people are going to absolutely slam them too. Rural hospitals are desperately going need financial help. 

Too bad there’s no Federal program to help the uninsured get insurance. I’m sure if there were such a thing, they’d have been all up in arms to have their states opt in right away. Tragic. Tragic. Maybe we should consider starting something like that. 😃

• Like 2