Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

You know, I'm seeing a disconnect, maybe disparity is a better word, here.  

I see groups pf people - priveleged, special, people.  People who have vast abilities to spend on isolating themselves from the masses, on medical care, who have access to testing and resources that typical citizens don't have.  People who in many vases have the ability to go to great lengths to isolate themselves into their own bubbles, so to speak.  And who are doing so.  

And who are subject to a massive amount of testing for the virus.  What percentage of mainstream America has never been tested for corona?  80%?  But these groups - White House staffers, professional athletes, and such, get tested weekly or even daily.  As does everybody in their bubble.  

And these people are being infected at a shocking rate.  

And then there's the unwashed (probably literally.  How many people are practicing hand washing as much as they should?  I know that I'm not, and I'm a nurse.)  masses.  In many cases not even taking minimal precautions, interacting all over the place, constantly, with everybody in the general population.  

And not getting tested.  

And having the impression (intentionally being reinforced, in many cases) that hey, this virus thing really isn't that bad, almost nobody gets it, anyway, I don't see it anywhere.  

Edit:  I think I've thought of an expression, to summarize this situation.  

We're in the placebo group.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1

Well @Larry I'll say that in Virginia, it's not exactly easy to get a Covid test. You generally have to be symptomatic, or have some other reason. In Virginia, we have a ~4% positivity rate statewide. So, in our state where it's not exactly easy to get a test, we don't have a high percentage of positive results.

I think it's also possible that athletes, such as baseball players and football players who haven't been forced to isolate, live much more risky lives. They go throughout practices without protection on a daily basis, they are probably around players and coaches unprotected often. Who knows what their social lives are like?

Just my 2 cents.

Possible counter point, though, about the positivity rate. 

The positivity rate is the number of positive tests, divided by the total number of tests given.  

What percentage of the "total number of tests given" are people who are in the "special" groups?  How many of them are celebrities who were tested negative yesterday, or health care workers who were negative one or two weeks ago?  Retests of people who's last test was negative.  Are they a noticeable chunk of the total testing?  

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

Possible counter point, though, about the positivity rate. 

The positivity rate is the number of positive tests, divided by the total number of tests given.  

What percentage of the "total number of tests given" are people who are in the "special" groups?  How many of them are celebrities who were tested negative yesterday, or health care workers who were negative one or two weeks ago?  Retests of people who's last test was negative.  Are they a noticeable chunk of the total testing?  

Thats a good point Larry and it would be super helpful to include “original test” and “follow up test” in the statistics. Added, this goes both ways as well. How many positive tests are a person retesting to confirm they are actually positive, or something along those lines.

Checking in on our friend @tshile

Haven’t seen you post lately, how are things on your end?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Checking in on our friend @tshile

Haven’t seen you post lately, how are things on your end?

Hah thanks. 
no news is good news?

I took another test. I’m still negative. I clearly have symptoms. Aches, general soreness/lethargy, shortness of breath are obvious. I’m clearly sick. But keep testing negative. 

wife had gone 24+ hours without a fever so she’s reintegrating with the family. Her and I wear masks still inside. 

can’t really do anything worthwhile. I’d love to use my 2 weeks off to cut up these trees and split wood but that level of work isn’t reasonable at the moment. Who knows when. 

kids seem unaffected. Random sneeze or random cough otherwise wide open all the time as usual. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

Sorry, T...hope you get better soon. Are you taking anything? 

Coffee. 
lots of coffee. 

can’t do anything else. Never had such a strong craving for beer. For some reason I want it out of a grower. What ever. 

soon enough....

On a serious note wife is on a Tylenol regimen. I’ve taken some like before going to sleep just to ease things. Otherwise no. Drinking water. 

and coffee. Which is made from water

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

say that in Virginia, it's not exactly easy to get a Covid test. You generally have to be symptomatic, or have some other reason.

some wealthy people fund some community items out here and one thing they decided to fund was covid testing for anyone who lives in a specific region. Which is nice. 

anyone can take the tests but people outside the region pay significantly more. 

but I’ve also tested negative taking those tests so maybe it’s not so awesome 

Edited by tshile

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Coffee. 
lots of coffee. 

can’t do anything else. Never had such a strong craving for beer. For some reason I want it out of a grower. What ever. 

soon enough....

On a serious note wife is on a Tylenol regimen. I’ve taken some like before going to sleep just to ease things. Otherwise no. Drinking water. 

and coffee. Which is made from water

can you take things like Mucinex for Covid?

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

No idea. I currently have no need. 

I don’t want to project the wrong attitude, I’m definitely concerned there’s a worse yet to come possibility here, but as of now other than feeling like someone’s zapped all the energy out of me, I’ve had random seasonal colds from daycare do much more damage. 

Wife is doing significantly worse but she generally does worse than me with colds and such

13 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Obviously you can.  Whether or not they're effective is another matter.  I'd assume since they're just designed to treat symptoms, not the virus itself, that they might still have some effect at alleviating symptoms.

• Like 1

Sending my prayers your way Tshile, at least more than the chrrent douchebag in the Whitehouse..... Funny thing, some guy at my work was saying why was I mad that Trump was sick... I replied I dont wish ill on people but he is a ****ing moron who has not been leading by example and wearing a damn mask... He then replied it was his fault and why should peopke look up to him....i replied you kidding, you seen his rallies.... Then he said what about Obama and Clinton and I said what bad thing did Obama did and he said when he talked bad about cops who shot a black guy when he was president.... I replied you ****ing kidding me compared to this current asshole who supports white supremacists,Obama is a saint... This guy is from Puerto Rico for crying out loud, smart IT guy I work with... Sigh.. That's why I dont talk politics at work, used to respect this dude but now think a littke bit less of him honestly (we are both military) 

Edited by killerbee99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2