Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BBC: China pneumonia outbreak: COVID-19 Global Pandemic

China

23 minutes ago, FuriousD said:

I've just finished reading Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now.  Highly recommend it. 

There's fascinating incite in there on tribalism as it pertains to religion, sex, sports, culture and of course, politics.  The references to the right wing and Donald Trump, how they are turning inward on themselves and away from globalism (and science) is fascinating. So much of what we are experiencing now from the White House is discussed in detail.

Good read...

Gonna put it on the list. Thanks.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Mrs. Dan T.  is an ICU nurse.  One of their patients is an under 30-year old male, otherwise healthy, who has been intubated on a respirator for more than a week.  He will survive, lung damage notwithstanding.   I think I would talk with him before attending a virus party with Federalists.

Edit: Once they remove the tube from his throat.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 9

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

Shouldn't businesses have 6 months "emergency fund" saved up for all their expenses too? 

Should anyone?

If we are going to backstop the banks (twice) why not just own them outright and nationalize them as a utility? 

that doesn’t sound too bad... but I’m not sure about consequences.

Is that too "dangerous" for half the countries "political ideals"?  Did you see that Boeing CEO said, "if we have to give up a stake in our company, don't bail us out."? 

then don’t bail them out. I’m sure he would cave if the company was in serious risk.

The issue is that companies don’t pay CEOs top dollar because they own the business and they can get paid whatever they like.  It’s because the want to attract top talent with proven results and they can afford to pay top dollar which means to stay competitive thru have to pay essentially more than a CEO is really worth. My worry with nationalizing corporations is you’d end up with a brain drain in leadership of those companies.

taking a 15 percent stake in a company isn’t nationalizing it though

25 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Turning???? I think that boat sailed a couple of years back.

Even that is his fault... he had plenty of lay up opportunities to say the right thing and chose the other. For no reason.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Since my father passed away in 2018 our income got bump a bit above the $150k threshold.  

I am thankful that I don't need additional money too badly right now.  It still just phases out between $150k and $198k... right?

It phases out at a 5% rate, the example they showed in the tweet is if you make 85k and the cutoff is 75k you would get $700.00 (10,000 * 5% =  $500), 1,200 - 500 = $700.00

Just now, Fergasun said:

Can you give me a list of the "Top 10" CEO moves in the past couple years? We get top plays in sports all the time... what do these CEOs do that is so awesome for either the mid to low level employee or general public.  

well Disney ruined Star Wars so there’s that

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

The issue is that companies don’t pay CEOs top dollar because they own the business and they can get paid whatever they like.  It’s because the want to attract top talent with proven results and they can afford to pay top dollar which means to stay competitive thru have to pay essentially more than a CEO is really worth. My worry with nationalizing corporations is you’d end up with a brain drain in leadership of those companies.

CEO compensation has been capped at a dollar value. The issue has now become that CEOs are given stock options, the goal is to now drive the stock as high as possible to hit the trigger point. It's not about paying top dollar, it's incentivizing stock growth above all else. 

While total compensated dollar value is not as high, they have more incentive to drive stock prices. NPR's Planet Money had an excellent podcast about CEO pay. 

Planet Money - When CEO Pay Exploded

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Since my father passed away in 2018 our income got bump a bit above the $150k threshold.  

I am thankful that I don't need additional money too badly right now.  It still just phases out between $150k and $198k... right?

Did quick math 198k is 48k more than 150k. 5% of that is 2,400. If my thinking is right if you have children you might be about to go slightly over 200k mark. Unless each child gets $500 no matter what.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, just654 said:

Did quick math 198k is 48k more than 150k. 5% of that is 2,400. If my thinking is right if you have children you might be about to go slightly over 200k mark. Unless each child gets $500 no matter what.

The way I read it is you get a subtotal (in my case 2400 + 500*3 kids = $3900 and then deduct from that. Unless they’re only counting my 2018 kids, which would only be two. 

Wife and I finished 2018 at around $175k AGI so I’m looking at $2650 if they count all of my kids or $2150 if they count just my 2018 kids. 

Probably will sit on it for a few months and see how things go, then donate it if I don’t need it. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

7 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The way I read it is you get a subtotal (in my case 2400 + 500*3 kids = $3900 and then deduct from that. Unless they’re only counting my 2018 kids, which would only be two. 

Wife and I finished 2018 at around $175k AGI so I’m looking at $2650 if they count all of my kids or $2150 if they count just my 2018 kids. 

Probably will sit on it for a few months and see how things go, then donate it if I don’t need it. 

All based on 2018 filing. So you lose a child.  You are reading it the same way I am. All one lump sum.