Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #REDSKINS ANNOUNCE RON RIVERA AS HEAD COACH

TK

1 minute ago, redrobert said:

I know I’m gonna get roasted for this but I really think Dan finally gets it and this is going be the beginning of a Redskins Rebirth. 

Firing your best friend is a huge thing. 

You won't get burned.  Dan started to "get it" in 2004 when he went to Gibbs.  It's been nothing but learning and growth since then.

I feel good man.

Reading some of the Panthers boards from back in December. Looks like there was a decent split between those who wanted him to stay and those who were ready for him to go. With the latter, the criticism that came up the most was "lack of adjustments", which sounds eerily familiar. 

Not trying to rain on the parade, but here are some of their comments after today's presser. Some sour grapes, I'm sure, but remember, they had 9 years with the guy:

Now on top of that consider that with generational talents at QB and MLB, he had 3 winning seasons out of 9.  We may or may not get a winner with our next hire, but what's pretty conclusive is that we werent going anywhere good with Ron going forward.

I kind of hate Rivera now - with this tough guy act.  He was anything but tough - and is the main reason this team underachieved during his tenure. 

Lol look at him talking all hardcore. What a jokes he's turning into.

Yep. They'll see who he really is soon enough. Many will buy his schtick, but results will always be the same. 7-8 wins a season.

One of the things that always pissed me off about Ron. He would go up 1-2TDs in game and lay foot off the gas. Then the teams would come back and we would claw our way to a victory. Was so annoying 

He's a good human being. To me that is a separate matter from his coaching acumen, where he ultimately proved overly conservative, unimaginative and incapable of change or flexibility. 

Sounds like he sent out the same Ron who gave his introductory presser in Charlotte.

if snyder wanted a “seahawks, chiefs, patriots model” he should have hired a good coach

I could care less about the missing shirt or Dans Thanksgiving comment.

The two major things I took away from the presser were:

1) A focus on making the entire organization a family instead of having factions within the organization.

2) The amount of time (35 hours) Ron spent with Dan to formulate a plan of action, a lot was probably said during those 35 hours and I'm sure at some point Dan had to be subordinate and just admit his faults and how we got here.  That had to have happened IMO.

It's interesting that some media were reporting almost daily updates on Dan and Bruce's relationship and now we find out that during that entire time Dan was hashing out a plan with Ron, makes you wonder about our media in Washington.

Heard the stuff most wanted to hear today about accountability and the right way. 

Didn't expect to hear anything negative. 

Not reading between any lines looking for hidden meaning. 

Yes, Snyder is a poor speaker. He should have taken questions.... A week ago. Today was for Rivera. 

Now we watch and see if words and actions from this franchise align. 

2 minutes ago, Dissident2 said:

Reading some of the Panthers boards from back in December. Looks like there was a decent split between those who wanted him to stay and those who were ready for him to go. With the latter, the criticism that came up the most was "lack of adjustments", which sounds eerily familiar. 

Not trying to rain on the parade, but here are some of their comments after today's presser. Some sour grapes, I'm sure, but remember, they had 9 years with the guy:

Real talk man.

If I based my understanding on Redskins football or any player or coach based on a forum or series of post on extreme skins, I would have stopped watching football.

Fan culture is rift with well informed option as well as deliberate misinformation - somewhere in between is venting and honest fan dialogue of what we think we see or know.

I try to pull narrative from player perspectives and what can be extracted base on all know factors.

Sounds to me like Dan is as sick of losing as we fans are. He's also being doing a lot of background research in the realisation we suck and so did his closest associate in Bruce. I really think he has faced some harsh realities for a change.

Above all else, I like the fact Rivera has spent considerable time over the last month building his knowledge on the current state of the organisation and matching that with a forward looking vision.

Oh, and I think we will, if nothing else, see what a damn good culture looks like.

I just listened to Chad's interview with Ron and I like what he said about Trent.  Instead of just saying yes we want Trent and pencil whipping the question he said he was more interested in finding out why it happened and making sure it doesn't happen again.

35 minutes ago, dyst said:

I like that he watched tape and has notes on players already. Different kinda guy compared to booby pinched Gruden.

I knew it the moment it happened, we were doomed. Could you imagine giving Ron Rivera a tittie twister (or trying to, since he's in shape)? That player would be instantly death rayed by Ron's eyes. Then his ashes would be released.

2 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

BTW - I didn't see the press conference live (Listend to some of it). But looking at pictures.

Did Snyder NOT bring out the 3 Super Bowl trophies? 

if he didn't, thats huge.  

No trophies, just Skins helmets

1 minute ago, TMK9973 said:

BTW - I didn't see the press conference live (Listend to some of it). But looking at pictures.

Did Snyder NOT bring out the 3 Super Bowl trophies? 

if he didn't, thats huge.  

He did not, I think that was symbolic and a quiet way of saying " I get it, these Superbowls from 30 years ago don't have much meaning anymore".

That's my interpretation.

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

How can any fan NOT be excited about what they heard today? I know talk is cheap but if you still have a shred of confidence we can turn things around, today should feel very positive. 

I would agree.  I get trying to be a realist.  understand Snyder still owns the team but damn.. Im a little surprised at all the nitpicking by radio show callers, FB posters and (to a lesser extent) ES posters.  A week ago most Redskins fans were trying to not get their hopes up about Allen being shown the door.  

Here we are - Allen is gone.  A legit leader has just been hired and has already hired a legit DC.  Manusky is gone.  Allen is gone.  REJOICE!  There will be plenty of time to be critical later.

7 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Real talk man.

If I based my understanding on Redskins football or any player or coach based on a forum or series of post on extreme skins, I would have stopped watching football.

Oh, I agree completely. But my initial problem with him was his overall record after 9 years. It's not great, simply isn't. That concerns me, and some of these comments from people who've followed him as fans for 9 years concern me a bit, too. I've always maintained he's a lot better than what we've had. Very happy to have all that concern proven unfounded; I am excited that Bruce is gone and I can really invest emotionally in the team again. I think Rivera is a good dude, and that's important to me. But I was giddy when Allen and Shanny were brought in and Vinny was canned. I'm just going to stick with being cautiously optimistic for now. We'll see. One thing's for sure, being in this position is far better than where we were this time last year. 

The QB debate/depth has a way to go yet given Keenum and McCoy are impending free agents.

Interesting that he watched our last six games in detail. Given all the vets buried on IR, several younger players have had an unexpected audition.

11 minutes ago, dc1 said:

Real talk man.

Fan culture is rift with well informed option as well as deliberate misinformation - somewhere in between is venting and honest fan dialogue of what we think we see or know.

I try to pull narrative from player perspectives and what can be extracted base on all know factors.

So agree @dc1   

Living in the Philadelphia area for over 30 years - I saw the end of Andy Reid's era with the Eagles.  They couldn't wait to move - by the end of Chipper's era with the Eagles - they were begging to get him back.  Since he was "taken" - they took his OC.

Archived