Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

On 9/19/2023 at 12:43 PM, tmandoug1 said:

So we can't do a contract extension on Howell? Not savy on how that works so I will go with what you are saying.  Bear in mind, I am talking about him being the guy. That means future top 10 QB potential. I am by no means saying he is even close to that at this time. I was just making a statement about the only reason we wouldn't sign Chase and Sweat. But if we have the money to do so that's great. But if Howell shows promise he is the priority IMO.

Players can't sign long term extensions until they've accrued three seasons. Howell would not be eligible for an extension until after the 2024 season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

FYI on Howell extension: IF they need to extend him after 2024, they can do cap magic to keep his 2025 and 2026 low.  This might be one of those rare situates where it would be better to dump money for Sweat and Young into early years of the contract to get the majority of the cap hit in before Howell’s number increases.  Then they would have cap flexibility even with a higher number for Howell.

Just a thought.

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

19 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Remember when people wanted to trade him for a 4th rounder LMFAO

This thread is example #4,786 of why I'm glad fans have no power over the team.

Josh Uche's stats are pretty crazy.  Basically just a pure pass rusher who only plays 300 snaps a year.  I've never heard of a less impactful double digit sack season before.  Basically did nothing the whole season, but in a four game stretch in the middle of the year he piled up 9 sacks.  It's enough to put his name up there beside the elite edge rushers of the NFL.  Some team is going to get absolutely swindled into giving that dude a huge contract next off-season.  All of the analytic models for evaluating edge rushers aren't built to interpret the value of a guy who basically only plays on third and longs, but is hyper efficient in his rushes in that situation.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I've never heard of a less impactful double digit sack season before.

2000 Bruce Smith?

Young was very impressive on Sunday. I don't recall seeing a bull rush like he had. There were a number of times he put Bolle on skates. Whatever happens with the coaching staff after this year, I really want to keep Jeff Zgonina. The DL has been a force under him and such a huge difference from Sam Mills.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2023 at 11:57 AM, Warhead36 said:

Remember when people wanted to trade him for a 4th rounder LMFAO

I said trade him for a 4th round pick and even after last week and before this week, that view was still correct.

Because, at the end of this year you still have the same problem.  You have two options:

1.  Realistically, pay him more than anybody else to keep him here (which you could do even if you trade him).

2.  Franchise tag him.

And pretty no much matter what he does this year given his injury history giving him franchise tag dollars at the end of this year isn't going to make a lot of sense for this team.  And almost certainly will be a bad use of cap space for this team.  And nobody is going to give you much to be put in that same situation.

No matter what Chase Young does this year, this is not a good football team.   If they can get something as valuable as a 4th round pick for him, they should take it.

Edited by PeterMP
  • Like 4

He basically did nothing today.  No real impact.  Same for Sweat.

Problem there is: this is very much par for the course for those two in their careers.  In my opinion, neither are consistent impact players against quality offenses  like Charles Mann or Dexter Manley were.  They just don't show up big in big games consistently.  I wouldn't give either one of those two a huge contract.  No freaking way.  We've already built this team the wrong way.  No reason to compound the problem by giving even one of those two players a big contract.  We can absolutely survive without them.  Hell, we're not winning WITH them.

Get this FO and coaching staff overhauled with quality people this offseason.  Let them assemble this team the right way.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

45 minutes ago, Redwards said:

45 minutes ago, Redwards said:

They just don't show up big in big games consistently.  I wouldn't give either one of those two a huge contract.  No freaking way.  We've already built this team the wrong way.  No reason to compound the problem by giving even one of those two players a big contract.  We can absolutely survive without them.  Hell, we're not winning WITH them.

I don't know that I would do that but I can't argue with the fact that we would probably still be pretty good on defense if we spent half of what we'd give them on OLine /lber and have a rotation of edge guys. That doesn't sound like it would be too bad at all... 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

His effort on plays is pathetic and absolutely should be called out on. You're supposed to be a tone setter yet I legit see him walking watching runners running.

Should be an interesting film session all around. Lotta people getting called out, coaches need to look in the mirror also

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody on the team did.

Should we trade Jon Allen or Jahan Dotson for 4th rounders as well?

This is missing the point.

Neither of them are on expiring contracts right now.

There's too many resources in the dline versus the oline right now.

I refuse to support extending him over pressure win rates, he can go be Preston Smith somewhere else.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

His effort on plays is pathetic and absolutely should be called out on. You're supposed to be a tone setter yet I legit see him walking watching runners running.

I saw that too. Some of our other “stars” were doing the same. I hope JDR gets into them.  Playing to the whistle is fundamental football. 

The frustrating part is many of them were in position to make plays but didn’t. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Nobody on the team did.

Should we trade Jon Allen or Jahan Dotson for 4th rounders as well?

Jon Allen has a huge alibi: he shows up in most games he plays, regardless of how good the opposing O line is.

Dotson has gone missing in this offense due to EB's scheme.  He's been jailed at slot receiver.

Sweat and Chase: their history is riddled with exactly this kind of performance against a good O line.  They just do not show up against good opponents.  Oh, but let Sweat have a day against a bad Cardinals O line and hey, he's a beast of a player that deserves a huge contract.

This D is a paper tiger compared to their rep.  Especially Montez and Chase.  There is zero positive consistency from either of them against quality opponents.  Chase at least has the excuse that he's been off the field for so long.  This is Sweat's fourth year and he still can't take the next step.  

That's plenty of evidence for me to hold those two very, very accountable.  As of now they are little more than worthless when we need them the most against good opponents.

11 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

Should be an interesting film session all around. Lotta people getting called out, coaches need to look in the mirror also

It's too late for that.  

It's Year 4.

The mirror clearly holds no answers for those in charge.  At least, no correct answers.  

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1