Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

5 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Thankfully we have Rivera and more importantly Jack Del Rio who developed Mack and Miller when they first came out. He knows how to get young talented DEs playing at their best probably better than anyone.

Our defensive coaching has been SO BAD for SO LONG, i am almost fearful that just by occupying office space in Ashburn, it makes you a worse coach by association.

The last defensive coaching staff worth a damn was in 2007.  That's 13 years ago.  The Greg Blache staff was "ok."  Then the Haz, Barry and Manusky staffs all stunk like the south end of a north bound skunk.  (Which is a phrase I learned from Blache.)

I'm hopeful Del Rio and company are a huge improvement, and in my head I really believe it to be true.  But I am just not allowing myself to get too ahead of myself until we can see it on the field.  Which I'm really hoping will be in September.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Our defensive coaching has been SO BAD for SO LONG, i am almost fearful that just by occupying office space in Ashburn, it makes you a worse coach by association.

I'm hopeful Del Rio and company are a huge improvement, and in my head I really believe it to be true.  But I am just not allowing myself to get too ahead of myself until we can see it on the field.  Which I'm really hoping will be in September.  

So then...can it honestly get any worse? Weve been at the bottom...literally theres only one way to go. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Yeah... Weve been saying "Can't get worse than this" for 20 years now, and every time we are proven wrong with a swift kick in the gnads

I mean lol. Yeah in theory we have been saying cant get worse but that's just cause we sucked but we werent the absolute worst. Even vinny snyder going for big name players and all the nonsense wasnt this bad. This literally...had to be the worst. I mean. You go from pretty bad haz...then how does it get worse? You get the d coordinator for the 0 16 lions. And wow what a great job he did. We got worse. Now the question is asked: who was worse...joe barry or manusky? Now we cant make turds any prettier and manusky was just as bad. So the past 7 years all we know is the worst. Lol jack Dell rio all has gotta do is call plays ...not even install a system and were better off

7 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Oh man, don't say things like this. Have you not been a skins fan long? :ols:

Lol were at the bottom already. I mean there literally is no worse than joe barry and manusky. 

16 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

I mean lol. Yeah in theory we have been saying cant get worse but that's just cause we sucked but we werent the absolute worst. Even vinny snyder going for big name players and all the nonsense wasnt this bad. This literally...had to be the worst. I mean. You go from pretty bad haz...then how does it get worse? You get the d coordinator for the 0 16 lions. And wow what a great job he did. We got worse. Now the question is asked: who was worse...joe barry or manusky? Now we cant make turds any prettier and manusky was just as bad. So the past 7 years all we know is the worst. Lol jack Dell rio all has gotta do is call plays ...not even install a system and were better off

Lol were at the bottom already. I mean there literally is no worse than joe barry and manusky. 

We were the Dangerfield of the NFL for 50 years until 82. It's only been since 91 right now. It can definitely get worse.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Remember when we were sure swinging gate was the low point? 

Me to my 2009 self:

I mean...the swinging gate kinda was the low point. Yes the RG3 fiasco but that was sort of a slow-motion train wreck. The swinging gate was a nuclear explosion of fail. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm most excited about Sweat, Payne and Collins this season.

Collins will absolutely benefit from the scheme. 

I think Ioannidis and Allen will benefit more than Payne. My understanding is that in this scheme, Payne will still be expected to play 2 gaps as a 1 technique, thereby freeing up the other DL to 1 gap. 

The only place Allen has really been better than Ioannidis to date is in run defense. I think if Ioannidis can play the run on the way to the QB, he’s going to have a monster year. I also think that Allen is suited perfectly to play 3 tech 1 gap and could finally live up to the expectations we had for him when we drafted him. 

Chase Young hopefully is going to draw a lot of attention and leave the DT’s single blocked. I don’t think he changes Sweat’s life that much. Sweat wasn’t worth doubling last year. But if Sweat improves, Chase Young’s presence means that teams won’t be able to counter that improvement by chipping and doubling etc. 

Sweat wasent a monster his rookie year but he wasent bad either. Typically we as a fan base are more patient with rookies.

For whatever reason Sweat doesn't get the typical rookie season and room to grow chatter. He has the measureables and perhaps the Del Rio effect will have just as much impact on him as the rest of the defense. 

• Like 1

Sweat has the physical profile of an absolute stud and the type of extreme youth that says with hard work, he isn't anywhere near his ceiling. He's a bit of a project but that would be MUCH more worrisome if he was the most talented EDGE guy defenses had to worry about going forward. That would have made it a lot harder for him to blossom, even with a Kerrigan type across from him. But that isn't the case now. 

Being essentially an afterthought (due to the presence of Young and an interior DL with a truly scary ceiling) is going to be HUGE for his development. He'll have the space to grow into himself without necessarily being stifled by desperate expectations and not enough help. Sweat should be happier than anyone. 

I don't know if he'll truly break out the way he's capable of on paper, but if he does we have the freakiest and most athletic bookend EDGE players in the entire NFL, and both extremely young. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, SkinsFootball said:

Sweat wasent a monster his rookie year but he wasent bad either. Typically we as a fan base are more patient with rookies.

For whatever reason Sweat doesn't get the typical rookie season and room to grow chatter. He has the measureables and perhaps the Del Rio effect will have just as much impact on him as the rest of the defense. 

I think fan reaction to Sweat is sullied by three unfair things: One how absolutely dreadful and ineffective the defense was last year, Two how he was Bruce Allen's last big swing, and Three how we all really wanted that second rounder during this latest draft.

I think if used correctly,  Sweat will be a very good player for us. Last year, he was used too much in coverage and too much in read and react.

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think fan reaction to Sweat is sullied by three unfair things: One how absolutely dreadful and ineffective the defense was last year, Two how he was Bruce Allen's last big swing, and Three how we all really wanted that second rounder during this latest draft.

I think if used correctly,  Sweat will be a very good player for us. Last year, he was used too much in coverage and too much in read and react.

I don't think Sweat has a sullied reputation with fans. He came on late in the year and looked better as the year went on. He was effective vs the run. Seven sacks from a rookie is nothing to sneeze at. If anything, I don't think people pouted about the Sweat selection until we were sitting in the 2nd round looking at everyone that would have been available if we still had that pick. 

Sweat I think was a really good choice. I think he was worth the trade up and that we won't have any regrets long term. I'd love to see him training in the summer with Chase Young and the Bosas and working on his hands and pass rush plan. This DL has a lot of pieces that are very complementary and Chase Young could be the piece that makes the machine hum. 

• Like 1