Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

22 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Are we really going to ignore the fact that Dilfer said Tua throws better than Rodgers and Marino?  I’ve heard some absurd **** in my day but what an idiot. This is Merril Hoge territory stupid. 

Dilfer is pumping up his client.  Scouts say the hardest position to figure out even with a ton of detail to work with is college QBs translating to the NFL.    Will see.  As for Tua, his injury situation clearly makes him a bigger wildcard than most. 

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/2020-NFL-Draft-Nick-Saban-compares-Alabama-Football-QB-Tua-Tagovailoa-to-Drew-Brees-Aaron-Rodgers-143933271/

“Football’s a great team game, except for one position, and that’s quarterback,” Saban said. “That guy can impact the game more than anyone else. We won a lot of games here where we had really good quarterbacks, but never a really dynamic guy you build things around and change what you’re doing to accommodate his skill set. And it really accommodated the other players that we had because we had such good skill players at wide receiver.

“We changed the culture a little bit, to be a little bit more wide open, because that’s what our players on offense could do. He certainly was capable of making it work—and he did.”

Tagovailoa is one of the most decorated and accomplished players in Alabama football history, but due to injuries and a freshman season as a backup, he played less than two full years as the starting quarterback. But despite a season-ending hip injury in mid-November, Tagovailoa is still predicted to be drafted at the top of the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft in April.

His college head coach compared him to two future Hall of Fame quarterbacks.

“I think he’s a lot like Drew Brees. I always thought Aaron Rodgers was a lot like that as a player too,” Saban said. “Not overly big, accurate with the ball, really good judgment, decision-making. Those guys are the style of player. I would never say the expectation should be he would accomplish what those guys have, I’d never wanna put that on a guy. But that’s the style of player he is.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise

If it wasn't for already recently watching what happens when the team is so dependent on an injury prone QB, along with drafting a QB last year who got much better the more he played, I'd totally be on the Tua train myself, but instead it's just not even an option for me. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If it wasn't for already recently watching what happens when the team is so dependent on an injury prone QB, along with drafting a QB last year who got much better the more he played, I'd totally be on the Tua train myself, but instead it's just not even an option for me. 

I'd figure if any team will have bad luck with a player coming off of an injury, it will be this team for obvious reasons. 🙁  If he went to NE he'd play injury free for the next 20 years. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Remember Lavar Arrington? I believe he was drafted out of Penn State in Snyder the Great's first year as owner and he was supposed to be the next Lawrence Taylor. Well, he turned out to be no more than a decent NFL linebacker. What the Redskins need is as much offensive fire power as they can lay their hands on. The way the game is played today with moving pockets and QBs extending plays a classic pass rusher is less and less a factor. Chase will be chasing a lot. The Redskins don't play Northwestern or Indiana. Good luck Ron.

Edited by Smurf3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Smurf3 said:

Remember Lavar Arrington? I believe he was drafted out of Penn State in Snyder the Great's first year as owner and he was supposed to be the next Lawrence Taylor. Well, he turned out to be no more than a decent NFL linebacker. What the Redskins need is as much offensive fire power as they can lay their hands on. The way the game is played today with moving pockets and QBs extending plays a classic pass rusher is less and less a factor. Chase will be chasing a lot. The Redskins don't play Northwestern or Indiana. Good luck Ron.

Arrington's situation is not a very accurate comparison of Young's potential situation.  Arrington was a pass rusher.  The Redskins used him in schemes that completely devalued his skill set.  Had they turned him loose with no zone or coverage responsibility he might have been the next L.T.  Del Rio seems to understand how to use the skills of his players.  One of the first comments I heard him say after hired was how often Sweat was misused, said he needed to have his hand in the dirt rushing the passer.  If Chase is everything he is projected  to be offenses will have to game plan around him, change blocking schemes, get rid of the ball quicker, etc and the entire defense will benefit and be better.  Too much upside to pass on unless it's one of those offers you just can pass up (RG3 level).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 4/7/2020 at 9:09 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I agree with you,  

As an aside, There is only one player in my memory who really put an entire team on his back and carried them almost on his own.  Elway before Shanahan.  The fact he got those broncos teams to multiple SBs is astonishing.  Then when they played actual championship caliber teams (49ers, Skins, Giants), he alone wasn’t enough.  But he basically took the Broncos to the SB based on his considerable will.  I view that basically as the exception which proves the rule. 

Or it could be said The Browns choked. 

• Like 2

evmiii posted "  If Chase is everything he is projected  to be offenses will have to game plan around him, change blocking schemes, get rid of the ball quicker, etc and the entire defense will benefit and be better.  Too much upside to pass on unless it's one of those offers you just can pass up (RG3 level). "

Then they start playing those wascally games in the National Football League, not the Big Ten.

They misused Arrington for 7 years?

2 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Except this hasn’t actually been proven, like at all.

So what happened to Kahlil (sp) Mack last year with the Bears? Gruden was chastised when he traded him from the Raiders, now he looks like a genius.

Redskins need every QB, receiver, running back, tight end they can lay their hands on to say nothing of O line. The offense is as offensive as you can get..

• Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Smurf3 said:

So what happened to Kahlil (sp) Mack last year with the Bears? Gruden was chastised when he traded him from the Raiders, now he looks like a genius.

Mack has been a beast for the Bears tf you talking about?

If the Bears draftee Watson instead of Trubisky they’d be contenders.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

If we had traded Trent and there was a "generational" LT sitting at 2, instead of a Pass Rusher, I wonder how different the conversion would be.

"It doesn't matter who the QB is if there's nobody to protect him" vs "a great QB makes the line better" is how it would go i guess.

This actually would have been really interesting to see play out and would have happened this year if Sewell was just one year older.  I'd still take the EDGE (Young), who you can move around to exploit an OL's weakness from play-to-play over the LT who may not even be facing the other team's best pass rusher most games.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This actually would have been really interesting to see play out and would have happened this year if Sewell was just one year older.  I'd still take the EDGE (Young), who you can move around to exploit an OL's weakness from play-to-play over the LT who may not even be facing the other team's best pass rusher most games.

I'd probably take the DE over the LT also, but I can't imagine having two players that are rated above two QBs like this year. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, evmiii said:

Arrington's situation is not a very accurate comparison of Young's potential situation.  Arrington was a pass rusher.  The Redskins used him in schemes that completely devalued his skill set.  Had they turned him loose with no zone or coverage responsibility he might have been the next L.T.  Del Rio seems to understand how to use the skills of his players.  One of the first comments I heard him say after hired was how often Sweat was misused, said he needed to have his hand in the dirt rushing the passer.  If Chase is everything he is projected  to be offenses will have to game plan around him, change blocking schemes, get rid of the ball quicker, etc and the entire defense will benefit and be better.  Too much upside to pass on unless it's one of those offers you just can pass up (RG3 level).

Every time a player does not pan out around here its always scheme. The hype around Chase has gotten absurd! Yes Chase will be unstoppable, he will change the way offenses play football, some teams wont even try to pass and may even punt on 1st down.

Some of you are really cruising for a big let down. But this has always been the problem with Danny boy, the fans want somebody they can have a man crush on to forget the team is a loser.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gibbs828791 said:

Every time a player does not pan out around here its always scheme. The hype around Chase has gotten absurd! Yes Chase will be unstoppable, he will change the way offenses play football, some teams wont even try to pass and may even punt on 1st down.

Some of you are really cruising for a big let down. But this has always been the problem with Danny boy, the fans want somebody they can have a man crush on to forget the team is a loser.

I gave you a “thanks” for this post. I disagree with the Lavar/Young point as Lavar was always a free lancer athletic freak that made plays. Young is more technical and not the same in virtually any way. He can bust, or not pan out, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

But that’s also kind of where I agree. Lavar played the same in college as he did in the NFL. Well, I shouldn’t say the “same”. But similarly. Used his athleticism to make plays. And he made plays. The problem was he wasn’t so much more athletic than his competition in the NFL that he couldn’t cover those mistakes as much. 

It wasn’t scheme. It was style. 

We have a tendency to always blame scheme or situations here. And a lot of times it’s a very valid argument. But it’s not all the time. And then the excuse doesn’t hold because we’re always crying wolf.

I think the people hyping Young to be the next coming of LT and now Reggie White ( :ols: ) are setting expectations too high. Rookies shouldn’t be looked at to come in and make that kind of impact right away. Young will be a good player in my opinion. He has the tools and ability to be phenomenal. But we as a fan base need to have patience.

The fans are so hungry for a winner, and a superstar, that we grasp on to anything that we can to give us that feeling of accomplishment and pride. 

But it’s not fair to the player or the team. We have people that are positive we could contend for the division this season. And we could. But that shouldn’t be the expectation. We have people mad that we replaced below average back ups with more baseline average backups because were not filling out the roster to win right now. 

It’s a process. All of it. Player development, roster development, culture development, franchise development.

We’re at the basement. Need to build up.

Rivera may have said he’s not interested in a rebuild or he didn’t come here for that, but that’s what is going on even if Rivera is trying to compete (as he should be doing by the way).

A lot of change needs to happen.

And not just with personnel. Field, turf, stadium, locations, etc.

Its a process and I worry that we as a fan base lose sight of that too quickly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, slidegood said:

You are wrong on this post.  Because I clearly saw indisputable comments that he was worthless because of no sacks in that game.  

I enjoy when people make those comments. Makes it easy to understand who watches football and who bases opinions on things they hear / solely the box score.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2020 at 8:23 AM, Smurf3 said:

I don't see a Daron Payne, Jonathan Allen, Matt Ioannidis, Montez Sweat, or heck even an aging Ryan Kerrigan anywhere on that team that had Lavar Arrington. Even though Lavar is probably one of the most overrated Redskins players of all time, he didn't have much help along the defensive front. 

On 4/9/2020 at 9:58 AM, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Are we really going to ignore the fact that Dilfer said Tua throws better than Rodgers and Marino?  I’ve heard some absurd **** in my day but what an idiot. This is Merril Hoge territory stupid. 

He has to say that. He's the one who is apparently training him. What is he supposed to say? "My pupil is frail and undersized and got had an all star team around him every year?" Even if that would be the truth...

On 4/9/2020 at 11:23 AM, Smurf3 said:

In fairness to Lavar, he was fantastic early in his career when he played for actual smart defensive coaches like Marty Schottenheimer and Marvin Lewis. Even under Gregg Williams those first couple years he looked good until he got hurt.

So much of a player's development comes down to coaching. Von Miller is great, but he played for Wade Phillips early in his career which helped. Chase Young will have Ron Rivera and Jack Del Rio, two fantastic proven D coaches(and Del Rio coached Miller as well in Denver).

• Like 1