Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

3 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Don't know why it's been called crazy since some of us floated it weeks ago in the Draft thread.... 

It's only going to get more intense over the next 2 and a half months leading up to the draft. 

I've believed all along that IF Tua nails his pro day we are gonna get an RGlll type offer, or more, to move out of #2 pick and I think we are gonna have to take it, especially if Miami's 2021 pick is part of the deal. Being in the position we are in, with the potential to add more than one stud over the course of 2 years or more, trumps drafting Chase Young in my opinion. The 2021 Dolphins pick could be in the top again which gives us the potential to trade back again and continue to rack up picks and fill holes for years to come. The possibilities will continue to be endless. Not to mention getting their 2021 pick along with our own 1st rounder provides the new regime insurance to draft a QB if they are not sold on Haskins as a pro QB. 

One more thing, what if Tua, Jordan Love and Herbert all nail their pro days? Then it becomes a matter or who wants who and how bad....we are in the catbird seat as is Detroit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I've believed all along that IF Tua nails his pro day we are gonna get an RGlll type offer, or more, to move out of #2 pick and I think we are gonna have to take it, especially if Miami's 2021 pick is part of the deal. Being in the position we are in, with the potential to add more than one stud over the course of 2 years or more, trumps drafting Chase Young in my opinion. The 2021 Dolphins pick could be in the top again which gives us the potential to trade back again and continue to rack up picks and fill holes for years to come. The possibilities will continue to be endless. Not to mention getting their 2021 pick along with our own 1st rounder provides the new regime insurance to draft a QB if they are not sold on Haskins as a pro QB. 

One more thing, what if Tua, Jordan Love and Herbert all nail their pro days? Then it becomes a matter or who wants who and how bad....we are in the catbird seat as is Detroit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Actually we need herbert and love to bomb their pro days and the combine and paint tua as a major premium.  If there is seemingly a big gap between tua and the rest of the qbs, the bidding goes up.. assuming burrow goes no. 1 of course.

• Like 2

Truly folks, Young is voted by most if not all of those associated with the draft as the BPA in the 2020 draft.  The only way we trade down is if Cincy selects Young at #1 or Detroit trades us their #3 and an additional pick and in writing and approved they will select another player not named Chase Young.  

Edited by RWJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

Truly folks, Young is voted by most if not all of those associated with the draft as the BPA in the 2020 draft.  The only way we trade down is if Cincy selects Young at #1 or Detroit trades us their #3 and an additional pick and in writing and approved they will select another player not named Chase Young.  

I think you're underselling how much the no. 2 pick will be worth.  It is very VERY likely we end up taking Young, but I would not rule out an RG3 type trade from Miami, that would force us to take a long hard look.  #5, #18, #39, and their top first round pick next year (they have 2)....  They still keep a first round pick THIS year AND NEXT year.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I think you're underselling how much the no. 2 pick will be worth.  It is very VERY likely we end up taking Young, but I would not rule out an RG3 type trade from Miami, that would force us to take a long hard look.  #5, #18, #39, and their top first round pick next year (they have 2)....  They still keep a first round pick THIS year AND NEXT year.  

If they're not offering all three of their 1sts AND their 2nd this year as a starting point I'm hanging up the phone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

If they're not offering all three of their 1sts AND their 2nd this year as a starting point I'm hanging up the phone.

2 firsts this year, and their top 1st next year, with their 2nd is a better deal.  Their 3rd first round pick this year is no. 26.  They're not going to make the playoffs next year, so the pick next season will be higher.  

I'm still getting 3 first round picks, just higher value

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

2 firsts this year, and their top 1st next year, with their 2nd is a better deal.  Their 3rd first round pick this year is no. 26.  They're not going to make the playoffs next year, so the pick next season will be higher.  

I'm still getting 3 first round picks, just higher value

I'm not interested in any trade scenarios for the pick unless it still guarantees the team can draft Chase.  This team finally have an opportunity to draft a fundamental change agent for the team and we wan't to play let's make a deal.  The draft can't come soon enough!

Edited by arftech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2020 at 7:42 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Or you say screw it and trade Haskins and go with Butrow.  

I doubt it comes to that.  Order of possibilities:

i agree with you that it's highly unlikely, but just playing 'wishes",  i'd love it if we got burrow and moved haskins (obviously need get some decent value for him)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I can see us getting 3 firsts and a 2nd from Miami, two firsts this year and one next....Coupled with the 2nd rounder that's a nice haul. All told we'd have two 1sts this year, 2 next year and our second back this year which could equate to a top end TE or WR....

13 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Actually we need herbert and love to bomb their pro days and the combine and paint tua as a major premium.  If there is seemingly a big gap between tua and the rest of the qbs, the bidding goes up.. assuming burrow goes no. 1 of course.

Could you imagine if all four of the QB's grade out to be can't miss prospects so to speak? We could trade back to 3 or 5 with Miami and then trade back again with Tampa Bay or San Diego....Vegas? We could end up with like five 1st round picks.....Gold Jerry, Gold!!!!

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I can see us getting 3 firsts and a 2nd from Miami, two firsts this year and one next....Coupled with the 2nd rounder that's a nice haul. All told we'd have two 1sts this year, 2 next year and our second back this year which could equate to a top end TE or WR....

Could you imagine if all four of the QB's grade out to be can't miss prospects so to speak? We could trade back to 3 or 5 with Miami and then trade back again with Tampa Bay or San Diego....Vegas? We could end up with like five 1st round picks.....Gold Jerry, Gold!!!!

Why stop there?  If we play our cards right, we could keep trading down until Chase Young turns into 16 7th round picks this year, and 14 7th round picks next year.  Just imagine how young our roster would be.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guys, nobody is giving up an RG3 level trade for Tua. Teams have learned from that. We got burned bad and it impacted us negatively for years. It's fantasy land to think that some team is going to give up 3 1sts and a 2nd. And in the RG3 case we weren't even talking about a guy with a long injury history and who was just coming off of a devastating injury at the end of his last collegiate season to the point where nobody knew if he'd ever truly be the same guy on the field; throwing in shorts is quite a bit different than real game time action. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/face-it-redskins-fans-there-wont-be-another-rg3-trade-offer

The Redskins hold the second overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, and as time inches closer to the first round in late April, the selection will gain increasing importance. 

Fans seem split between taking Ohio State defensive end Chase Young and the prospect of trading the pick. It's time, however, for a wake-up call for the trade crowd. 

Nothing, repeat nothing, will come close to the RG3 trade.

In 2012, the Redskins sent three first-round picks and a second-round pick to the Rams to move up four spots and get the opportunity to select Robert Griffin III. It was an exorbitant price. Wild. And for about 12 games it seemed like Washington made the right move. A knee injury ended Griffin's incredible rookie year, and from there, things fell apart. 

The point isn't how the Griffin trade ended, it's that it happened, and that some Redskins fans have an expectation that a similar offer could come in for the No. 2 pick this year. It's not going to happen. 

The only trade that compares to the Redskins move to get RG3 actually came from the Rams in 2016. Los Angeles moved up to the first overall pick to select quarterback Jared Goff, and to do so, the Rams gave up a boatload of picks: two first-round picks, two second-round picks, and two third-round picks. It's well documented how many of those selections helped the Titans propel to the AFC Championship game this past season.

Still that trade doesn't compare for a few reasons. The most obvious? The Rams gave up two first-round picks, not three like Washington did in 2012. Also, the Rams had to move up from the 15th overall pick to the No. 1 selection, a move of 14 spots. Washington only moved up four spots in 2012 to get from six to two and take RG3. 

Regardless, the NFL has learned from both trades.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slidegood said:

Why stop there?  If we play our cards right, we could keep trading down until Chase Young turns into 16 7th round picks this year, and 14 7th round picks next year.  Just imagine how young our roster would be.

Ha, ha....maybe? It would be unprecedented to keep trading back but it sure would be fun. Can't wait to see how crazy the rumors get....and what we do.

6 hours ago, Jumbo said:

i agree with you that it's highly unlikely, but just playing 'wishes",  i'd love it if we got burrow and moved haskins (obviously need get some decent value for him)

In order for it to happen, 

1. (Obviously) Chase Young has to be selected firs

2. The 'Skins have to believe that Burrow is better than Haskins + whatever they get back in a trade OR Ron and company just don't believe in Haskins at all.  

3. There isn't a Godfather deal (an offer you can't refuse) for #2 and Burrow.

My guess, again, order of likelihood:

1. Burrow is taken #1 so everything else is moot.

2. CY is taken at 1, but some team makes the Godfather offer for #2 and Burrow.  You're not turning down an additional 2 #1's and 2 #2's in addition to swapping 1's, UNLESS you absolutely don't believe in Haskins.  

3. 'Skins don't get the Godfather deal, believe Burrow is better than Haskins by a lot, and pick him.  Move Haskins.

NOTE: In any way shape or form, moving Haskins costs you, because I seriously doubt you are getting a top 15 pick back for Haskins.  Maybe a late 1st or a 2nd.  But if you have to dump him because you picked Burrow, you've lost value in the pick.  Because all the teams KNOW you've got to move him.  

My opinion (for what it's worth, which is probably nothing) is that you don't turn down a Godfather offer for Burrow under any circumstance other than the evaluation of Haskins is that he's a bum.  Because if you get a Godfather deal, you can try Haskins out for another year, and you will have plenty of ammo to get another QB next year if necessary.

However, if CY is selected first, and there isn't a Godfather deal, then you take Burrow and move Haskins.  Because Burrow's ceiling seems to be higher than Haskins'.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Guys, nobody is giving up an RG3 level trade for Tua. Teams have learned from that. We got burned bad and it impacted us negatively for years. It's fantasy land to think that some team is going to give up 3 1sts and a 2nd. And in the RG3 case we weren't even talking about a guy with a long injury history and who was just coming off of a devastating injury at the end of his last collegiate season to the point where nobody knew if he'd ever truly be the same guy on the field; throwing in shorts is quite a bit different than real game time action. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/face-it-redskins-fans-there-wont-be-another-rg3-trade-offer

I like JP.  I don't know if he's right.  It's amazing what group-think can do, and if 2 teams are convinced Tua is the next Rodgers, then somebody is going to make a huge offer.  I think the Tua hype train is going to pick up a lot of steam. 

And I could see the Dolphins swapping 1's, giving up another 1 this year (they have 3 this year) and a 1 next year (they have 2), and tossing in a 2nd and something else if they REALLY want Tua if they feel they have to get in front of another team who would be trying to get up for Tua.

Is it likely?  No.  It would have to be the perfect storm.  But it's possible.  Also, IF Griffin hadn't turned out to be an immature twit, and had taken coaching and been honest, and if Mike wasn't such an arrogant, self righteous know it all prick,  it's really possible things would have worked out much better.  The reason that trade flopped was character (on both sides) more than anything.  Imagine if Griffin had been honest and come out of the Seattle game, and then he/Mike/Kyle had continued to work together.  They could have had a hell of a lot of success.  It didn't work.  But if it had, the trade would have been more than worth it.  And I kinda think that other teams get excited about "generational" QBs, and they get over-valued.

Again.  I don't see it as likely.

But strange things happen.  In 1989, Dallas traded Herschel Walker for a boatload of picks, and it backfired on the Vikings.  New Orleans traded their entire draft to the 'Skins for Ricky Williams, and it backfired.  San Diego traded a ridiculous amount to move up 1 spot to get Ryan Leaf.  Boom.  The 'Skins traded a ton to get Griffin.  

What I highlight is that it keeps happening.  You'd think that nobody would be stupid enough to keep doing this, but it's been going on at least since 1989, and keeps happening, so it's possible it could happen again.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I like JP.  I don't know if he's right.  It's amazing what group-think can do, and if 2 teams are convinced Tua is the next Rodgers, then somebody is going to make a huge offer.  I think the Tua hype train is going to pick up a lot of steam. 

And I could see the Dolphins swapping 1's, giving up another 1 this year (they have 3 this year) and a 1 next year (they have 2), and tossing in a 2nd and something else if they REALLY want Tua if they feel they have to get in front of another team who would be trying to get up for Tua.

Is it likely?  No.  It would have to be the perfect storm.  But it's possible.  Also, IF Griffin hadn't turned out to be an immature twit, and had taken coaching and been honest, and if Mike wasn't such an arrogant, self righteous know it all prick,  it's really possible things would have worked out much better.  The reason that trade flopped was character (on both sides) more than anything.  Imagine if Griffin had been honest and come out of the Seattle game, and then he/Mike/Kyle had continued to work together.  They could have had a hell of a lot of success.  It didn't work.  But if it had, the trade would have been more than worth it.  And I kinda think that other teams get excited about "generational" QBs, and they get over-valued.

Again.  I don't see it as likely.

But strange things happen.  In 1989, Dallas traded Herschel Walker for a boatload of picks, and it backfired on the Vikings.  New Orleans traded their entire draft to the 'Skins for Ricky Williams, and it backfired.  San Diego traded a ridiculous amount to move up 1 spot to get Ryan Leaf.  Boom.  The 'Skins traded a ton to get Griffin.  

What I highlight is that it keeps happening.  You'd think that nobody would be stupid enough to keep doing this, but it's been going on at least since 1989, and keeps happening, so it's possible it could happen again.  

The bottom line is none of us, no media guy, no beatwriter, no former GM and no fan can say what any team will offer for a guy they want. Whoever says there won't be an RGlll type offer is just guessing or assuming. The Bears gave up a ****load to move up ONE spot to draft Trubisky so I have no doubt teams would give up even more to get Tua or one of the other QB's. 

Franchise QB's don't come up often and teams know it....they will overpay to get one if given the chance. I actually think Detroit may make us a sick offer to move up one spot to grab a QB out of fear that we will deal with someone else.....this is gonna be a craaaaazy ride for us Skins fans.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

The bottom line is none of us, no media guy, no beatwriter, no former GM and no fan can say what any team will offer for a guy they want. Whoever says there won't be an RGlll type offer is just guessing or assuming. The Bears gave up a ****load to move up ONE spot to draft Trubisky so I have no doubt teams would give up even more to get Tua or one of the other QB's. 

Franchise QB's don't come up often and teams know it....they will overpay to get one if given the chance. I actually think Detroit may make us a sick offer to move up one spot to grab a QB out of fear that we will deal with someone else.....this is gonna be a craaaaazy ride for us Skins fans.

The Bears didn't give up a "****load". They gave up two 3rd round picks. 

True, none of us knows for sure. But I think he's right that teams have learned from the RG3 and Goff trades. And the Goff trade wasn't even in the same category as the RG3 trade. They gave up 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd. But that was also to move all the way from 15 up to 1 and it was still an entire extra 1st rounder less than what we gave up to move from 6 to 2. So obviously the Rams were crazy about Goff but they still didn't give up as much as we did. 

And you think a team is going to give up 3 1sts, 2 2nds, and more to move up 5 spaces for a guy with an injury history as well as rehabbing from a devastating injury suffered at the end of his last collegiate season, when that guy may just fall right into their laps at 5? There's always this hype around this time and it builds up. But outside of a very rare trade it's usually smoke and mirrors, or just plain BS. 

And I'm willing to bet $100 Detroit doesn't take a QB. Especially one with major injury concerns when they have Stafford under contract still, who is one of the rare bright spots on their team. 

I don't think it will be a "crazy" ride at all. Cincy gets Burrow, we get Chase, then the draft really starts.

Edited by mistertim

3 hours ago, mistertim said:

True, none of us knows for sure. But I think he's right that teams have learned from the RG3 and Goff trades. And the Goff trade wasn't even in the same category as the RG3 trade. They gave up 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd. But that was also to move all the way from 15 up to 1 and it was still an entire extra 1st rounder less than what we gave up to move from 6 to 2. So obviously the Rams were crazy about Goff but they still didn't give up as much as we did. 

And you think a team is going to give up 3 1sts, 2 2nds, and more to move up 5 spaces for a guy with an injury history as well as rehabbing from a devastating injury suffered at the end of his last collegiate season, when that guy may just fall right into their laps at 5? There's always this hype around this time and it builds up. But outside of a very rare trade it's usually smoke and mirrors, or just plain BS. 

And I'm willing to bet $100 Detroit doesn't take a QB. Especially one with major injury concerns when they have Stafford under contract still, who is one of the rare bright spots on their team. 

I don't think it will be a "crazy" ride at all. Cincy gets Burrow, we get Chase, then the draft really starts.

The Bears gave up 4 picks to move up one spot from 3 to 2...look it up. Three picks the year they drafted Trubisky and 1 pick the following year. And that was for Trubisky, not Tua. 

5 hours ago, mistertim said:

I would not discount Detroit taking a QB so much.  I've mentioned it before that Tua to Detroit makes a ton of sense.  Stafford is on the books for $30 mil this year, there's no getting out of it, so he's going to be playing there, or traded (not that anyone would take that contract).  That allows Tua to have a whole year in the system, while fully recovering.  Staffords contract over the final 3 years of the deal (21, 22, 23) is up over $55 million (2023 is only about $1.5 mil).  IF they were to move on from Stafford AFTER 2020, that number goes from $55 mil to $13.5 mil.  That's an insane amount of savings for a team that, in all likelihood, doesn't really stand a chance for at least 2 seasons.  Green Bay just played in the NFC Championship game, Minnesota still has Kirk for 1 year, and as talented as that team is, you imagine they'll win 9-11 games, and Chicago isn't exactly a power, but they're not the Bengals either.  Patricia is very likely on the hot seat, and so is Quinn.  Quinn could very well trade some assets to try and get a QB he 'can build around' with the idea that he buys himself a couple more seasons. 

Edited by OVCChairman