Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Chase Young DE Ohio State

Sacks 'n' Stuff

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I like this list minus Delpit being too high to my taste. Love seeing Jeudy so high. I probably flip Okudah and Simmons. 

who was the last DL prospect to be as good as Young or better? Donald? Von Miller?

I like the list as well... I'd quibble with some placements but I'm overall in agreement...

1. Chase Young

2. Joe Burrow

3. Isaiah Simmons

4. Jeffrey Okudah

5. Tua Tagovailoa

6. Jerry Jeudy

7. Derrick Brown

8. Andrew Thomas

9. CeeDee Lamb

10. This one is trickier, could be a lot of different guys. I don't think it's Delpit.

48 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I like this list minus Delpit being too high to my taste. Love seeing Jeudy so high. I probably flip Okudah and Simmons. 

who was the last DL prospect to be as good as Young or better? Donald? Von Miller?

Donald didn't have that kind of hype hence his drop in the draft but yeah once he got going in the NFL he got plenty of hype.   Yeah I'd say probably Miller.  He's got more hype than both Bosas.  I think slightly more than Clowney. 

My top 10 would be.

1.  Chase Young

2.  Joe Burrow

3.  Isaiah Simmons

4. Jeffrey Okudah

5. Tua (only this far down because of health

6. Derrick Brown

7. Ceedee Lamb

8. Jerry Jeudy

9.  Javon Kinlaw

10.  Andrew Thomas

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Breer this morning

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/01/27/super-bowl-liv-49ers-chiefs-kobe-bryant-eli-manning-mmqb?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=themmqb

The more I think of the Redskins and the second pick in the draft, the more I think of the Niners. Like San Francisco last year, if they keep everyone, Washington will go into April with four former first-round picks on its defensive front (Ryan Kerrigan, Jonathan Allen, Da’Ron Payne, Montez Sweat), which might cause some to think, That’s not a need. And if the Niners had operated like that, maybe they’d have considered passing on Nick Bosa. I know they’re glad they didn’t. Likewise, I’m pretty sure the Redskins would be pleased with what Chase Young would bring to their front, and the effect he’d have on the guys around him.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Donald didn't have that kind of hype hence his drop in the draft but yeah once he got going in the NFL he got plenty of hype.   Yeah I'd say probably Miller.  He's got more hype than both Bosas.  I think slightly more than Clowney. 

Yeah, I agree. If we’re talking about general consensus EDGE grades as prospects (for players picked in the top 10) I’d have it:

1. Julius Peppers

2. Chase Young

3. Von Miller (there were questions about his size and run defense)

4. Myles Garrett

5. Jadaveon Clowney

6. Chris Long

7. Nick Bosa

8. Joey Bosa

9. Khalil Mack

10. Ezekiel Ansah

11. Josh Allen

12. Bradley Chubb

13. Dante Fowler

14. Solomon Thomas

15. Clelin Ferrell

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few. 

• Like 3

Donald was a miss by the draft community. He was more recognized and heralded by the usual suspects in the NFL draft thread, here, than elsewhere. In hindsight, he was a crazy good prospect. Off the charts production and great workout numbers. The professional community didn’t know how to factor in his size, as I don’t think there had been an NFL player exactly like him before. The only way Chase is clearly a better prospect than Donald is that Chase has prototypical size for the position. 

13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Donald was a miss by the draft community. He was more recognized and heralded by the usual suspects in the NFL draft thread, here, than elsewhere. In hindsight, he was a crazy good prospect. Off the charts production and great workout numbers. The professional community didn’t know how to factor in his size, as I don’t think there had been an NFL player exactly like him before. The only way Chase is clearly a better prospect than Donald is that Chase has prototypical size for the position. 

Chase is also younger than Donald was, which should factor in. 

Donald dominated at the Senior Bowl, and that should have been solidified him as a top 10 pick at the very least, but NFL GM's are a stubborn lot.

50 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Yeah, I agree. If we’re talking about general consensus EDGE grades as prospects (for players picked in the top 10) I’d have it:

1. Julius Peppers

2. Chase Young

3. Von Miller (there were questions about his size and run defense)

4. Myles Garrett

5. Jadaveon Clowney

6. Chris Long

7. Nick Bosa

8. Joey Bosa

9. Khalil Mack

10. Ezekiel Ansah

11. Josh Allen

12. Bradley Chubb

13. Dante Fowler

14. Solomon Thomas

15. Clelin Ferrell

I’m sure I’m forgetting a few. 

The hit rate on this list is not all that high. Though I suppose that depends on your definition of a hit rate.

Chris Long was a very good DE, but no where near the 6th best prospect on the EDGE.

Ansah at 10, Solomon Thomas, Clelin Ferrell, Dante Fowler really shouldn't be there.

Goes to show that the guys who rate prospects are often right (Peppers, Miller, Mack) and often wrong and these "generational" grades given to players shouldn't be taken as gospel. Though I'm not implying that works for Young, because I think he's a hell of a prospect. Just moreso that I don't particularly think where people have these guys ranked as prospects matters all that much. 

Agreed, I the knock on Donald was his size. With DTs most teams are looking for a guy who's at least in the 6'3 range so he has long enough arms to keep guys off of him. Donald is what, 6'0 flat?

But IMO in a sort of paradoxical way Donald's size actually seems to help him. With his stature he can keep such a low pad level when penetrating that it's really tough for guys to get into his pads and stop him. That and his crazy speed and burst are parts of what makes him so lethal.

As far as Chase I'd agree on his prospect rating hype would be almost Peppers level. Probably also Von Miller, but Chase has that prototypical frame that Miller didn't. From a physical standpoint Clowney was close but IMO the questions about his desire and work ethic brought him down a bit.

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The hit rate on this list is not all that high. Though I suppose that depends on your definition of a hit rate.

Chris Long was a very good DE, but no where near the 6th best prospect on the EDGE.

Ansah at 10, Solomon Thomas, Clelin Ferrell, Dante Fowler really shouldn't be there.

Goes to show that the guys who rate prospects are often right (Peppers, Miller, Mack) and often wrong and these "generational" grades given to players shouldn't be taken as gospel. Though I'm not implying that works for Young, because I think he's a hell of a prospect. Just moreso that I don't particularly think where people have these guys ranked as prospects matters all that much. 

I agree to an extent.  Though I would note that most guys drafted in the top half of the 1st round are drafted there for their high floors.  Naturally, some players drafted later in the draft will have higher ceilings with lower floors, and sometimes they hit those ceilings.  But by and large, you want to minimize your risk of drafting a bust with an upper 1st round prospect, so it's not a surprise that guys like Chris Long, the Bosas, Chubb, and Ferrell were drafted so high.  Regardless, most elite pass rushers over the last decade have been 1st round picks.

Luckily for us, Young is perceived to have both a high floor and a high ceiling.  He could still bust, but I think the chances are slim outside of injury.

I hate asking myself this question but bare with me.....

If the Redskins ask themselves "who do we like better out of Haskins and Tua, assuming Tua is healthy" how do they not take Tua if they think Tua will be a better pro QB? With all of us hoping the Skins take the super hyped Chase Young, what if we completely overlook Tua and he goes on to be a great NFL QB while Haskins struggles? Remember the Blazers taking Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan because Bowie was a "can't miss" prospect? I think a responsible organization will give grades on Tua and see where he stacks up as a propect compared to guys in the league when they were prospects. How does Tua compare to guys like Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, Kyrie Murray, Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes? What if he has grades similar to a Mahomes (which I doubt)? Is it possible that we are all overlooking what could be a generational QB just because we took Haskins last year? These are the kind of mistakes losing teams make if it would play out that way....From what I could see, Tua looks much more polished as a QB than Haskins ever has. 

I know these questions aren't popular or fun but it's a legit question....especially with the uncertainty surrounding Haskins. Look how many times the Browns have missed on getting the right QB when picking at the top of the draft....who's to say Haskins will be a good pro QB? We all hope he will but none of us know for sure....I'm not pushing for Tua but I still think there's a ways to go with this decision especially given the fact we have a new coach who did not draft Dwayne....

• Confused 2

@kingdaddy

There is something special about Haskins.  Don’t give up on this guy.  You can quote me on that.  If I were in media I would put my reputation on the line.  I evaluate talent pretty well.  And the guys you want to hang on to, are the ones who possess things you can’t teach.  Haskins has those things.  Superior arm talent, confidence, and leadership.

I won’t write a huge evaluation on him.  But, like I said, just wait and see.  I don’t think moving OConell was a good move.  It’s like people say, it takes a village to raise a child.  Having the right people around him was important.  But I still see him thriving.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Vanguard said:

@kingdaddy

There is something special about Haskins.  Don’t give up on this guy.  You can quote me on that.  If I were in media I would put my reputation on the line.  I evaluate talent pretty well.  And the guys you want to hang on to, are the ones who possess things you can’t teach.  Haskins has those things.  Superior arm talent, confidence, and leadership.

I won’t write a huge evaluation on him.  But, like I said, just wait and see.  I don’t think moving OConell was a good move.  It’s like people say, it takes a village to raise a child.  Having the right people around him was important.  But I still see him thriving.

The arm and confidence I see.

The leadership I don’t. What examples have we seen of this? He very well could be a leader... he was a rookie and well behind the curve, so he may blossom into it. But have we seen this to tout it as one of his qualities currently? I’m genuinely asking.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The arm and confidence I see.

The leadership I don’t. What examples have we seen of this? He very well could be a leader... he was a rookie and well behind the curve, so he may blossom into it. But have we seen this to tout it as one of his qualities currently? I’m genuinely asking.

Kinda hard trying to be a leader when the main guy didn't even want you but we know the reasons why...looking out for his job.  As the starter I saw progression in the leadership department game by game.  Those guys on offense responded to him but it's true you have to gain their respect.

Edited by arftech
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, arftech said:

Kinda hard trying to be a leader when the main guy didn't even want you but we know the reasons why...looking out for his job.  As the starter I saw progression in the leadership department game by game.  Those guys on offense responded to him but it's true you have to gain their respect.

I agree. Which is why it’s off putting to see it touted as one of the qualities we’ve seen develop. It seems made up. We haven’t seen that yet, in part because of his situation, in part because of mistakes he made due to his maturing process.

He has a Rocket, has shown he is willing to look in the mirror and improve, has seemingly matured, reports say he studied more and got more involved as the season went on, and he seems to learn from his mistakes on field and off quickly. We’ve seen that. We can talk about it.

But we haven’t really seen the leadership stuff yet. 

Again, as he grows more comfortable that may be a quality that shows up. But it remains to be seen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I agree. Which is why it’s off putting to see it touted as one of the qualities we’ve seen develop. It seems made up. We haven’t seen that yet, in part because of his situation, in part because of mistakes he made due to his maturing process.

He has a Rocket, has shown he is willing to look in the mirror and improve, has seemingly matured, reports say he studied more and got more involved as the season went on, and he seems to learn from his mistakes on field and off quickly. We’ve seen that. We can talk about it.

But we haven’t really seen the leadership stuff yet. 

Again, as he grows more comfortable that may be a quality that shows up. But it remains to be seen.

But the things you mentioned couldn't that be examples of leadership...maturing, studying and getting more involved?  Surely, the youngsters on the team sees that.  I'll digress by saying the rookie WR exudes the leadership gene in spades I think you would want to see in a leader.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Haskins hasn’t demonstrated great leadership skills......yet.

I don’t think he’s got that much slack to get up that curve quickly though. That’s clearly going to be an instant expectation of Rivera’s.

It's a process.

Just now, arftech said:

But the things you mentioned couldn't that be examples of leadership...maturing, studying and getting more involved?  Surely, the youngsters on the team sees that.  I'll digress by saying the rookie WR exudes the leadership gene in spades I think you would want to see in a leader.

I mean, not necessarily.

They're more signs of not not being a leader than being a leader. It's a right step.

I'd also agree that I saw more leadership from McLaurin than many guys on the team in general. Whether that is the same as what goes on behind the scenes is unknown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I mean, not necessarily.

They're more signs of not not being a leader than being a leader. It's a right step.

I'd also agree that I saw more leadership from McLaurin than many guys on the team in general. Whether that is the same as what goes on behind the scenes is unknown.

I'm inclined to agree with you.

1 hour ago, -JB- said:

Chase Young is about as can’t miss as you can get.  Hell of a motor, great size and good speed off the edge.  Just freakish.

Watched an interview with him and he was asked about preparation and he said "very very very VERY focused, because if you know the plays they run then you can distinguish it quickly and play as fast as possible and make plays". That really stood out to me. 

Dude isn't just an athletic freak. He seems like a true student of the game.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 5