Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What will constitute success for you over next 5 seasons?

hail2skins

I think a few people are misunderstanding the question. The insinuation is not that it'll take the Redskins five years to turn into a 10-win team. I mean, lets take Rivera for sake of argument. Basically, for a decent chunk in Carolina, his big 11-12 (and in one case 15!) win seasons were followed by pedestrian 6-7 win seasons before rebounding. Would this be something you'd be OK with? Given that suggests you are winning divisions every other season, I would think yes...….especially compared with this team being .500 being its high point recently. Or is that not consistent enough, and your goal is to have at least consistent 9-10+ win seasons? 

I think a lot of us would agree that doing what we (and the 49ers) did under Gibbs 1 (pre cap) and what the Pats have done for the past 20 years (post cap) is reaching for the stars too much. But what is good enough for you?

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I think a few people are misunderstanding the question. The insinuation is not that it'll take the Redskins five years to turn into a 10-win team. I mean, lets take Rivera for sake of argument. Basically, for a decent chunk in Carolina, his big 11-12 (and in one case 15!) win seasons were followed by pedestrian 6-7 win seasons before rebounding. Would this be something you'd be OK with? Given that suggests you are winning divisions every other season, I would think yes...….especially compared with this team being .500 being its high point recently. Or is that not consistent enough, and your goal is to have at least consistent 9-10+ win seasons? 

I think a lot of us would agree that doing what we (and the 49ers) did under Gibbs 1 (pre cap) and what the Pats have done for the past 20 years (post cap) is reaching for the stars too much. But what is good enough for you?

After five years, I'd want the team to be a consistent winner and contender. It should be steadily in that upper tier.

5 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Supposedly Redskins fans not rooting for the cowboys to beat the Redskins 

Could you please stop this now?  Just because fans want them to lose to get a better draft pick or get rid of Bruce Allen or whatever doesn't make them less of a fan than you.  It just means their priorities are different than yours.  They're thinking longer term instead of the instant gratification of a meaningless win in a lost season.  

27 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Could you please stop this now?  Just because fans want them to lose to get a better draft pick or get rid of Bruce Allen or whatever doesn't make them less of a fan than you.  It just means their priorities are different than yours.  They're thinking longer term instead of the instant gratification of a meaningless win in a lost season.  

Go take a look in the random thought thread

30 minutes ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

Oh and I went back and fixed it for you...it was supposed to read supposedly Redskins fans rooting for the cowboys to beat the Redskins.

That would be succes for me..seeing   Redskins fans stop rooting for the skins to lose. What's the problem?

I think saying something like "Winning the Superbowl" is a hard demand only because think of all the great teams throughout NFL history that failed to win super bowls.  Contending for a Superbowl, however, is something that should be demanded by the 5th year. 

The key is that Snyder has to be willing to allow the team to get good before they become great.

A lot of teams that do things the right way might have a couple .500 seasons mixed in during the process, but the reaction should not be to blow things up.  When it comes to pro-sports you never actually stop building, even if the team is already good.  You never stand pat with the current roster once the season ends.  

I bring up the 49ers a lot because living out here in their market I watch and hear their coverage a ton.   They are an example of how you can be acquiring talent on your roster for a few seasons and it might not necessarily reflect in the win column, despite having a lot of the talent in place.  Then you add those 1 or 2 players who change the roster from "having some talent" to being good or great even.  The 49ers have essentially built the same Super Bowl contending team twice in less than a decade, however in between 2013/2014 and 2019 they had down seasons while they built everything back up.  Two seasons ago they were nowhere on the sports media's radar.  That is how fast the switch can happen when you are quietly assembling talent and then finally add a couple beasts t the roster.  

14 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Go take a look in the random thought thread

Oh and I went back and fixed it for you...it was supposed to read supposedly Redskins fans rooting for the cowboys to beat the Redskins.

That would be succes for me..seeing   Redskins fans stop rooting for the skins to lose. What's the problem?

My problem is the usage of the word "supposedly".  You're calling in to question the fandom of people who aren't rooting for a meaningless win like you are.  I agree with the thought that we don't want Redskins fans rooting for us to lose, but to use the word "supposedly" in there gives your whole statement a different connotation.

Let's go 2 seasons without the franchise looking like petulant children.

No feuds with star players.

No suing fans.

No dark rumors around anyone in the front office.

No publicly humiliating a player or assistant.

No open warfare with local reporters.

Honestly, that would be the sign that things are getting better.

I honestly don't know if the team can ever be good on the field with Snyder in charge.

1 hour ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

connotation.

First..dont come at me with big words, second...I ..lost my train of thought lol..you have a good point lol homerism getting in the way..you really think I dont understand what needs to happen to this organization? Yes it was a meaningless game and the loss especially the way it happened got brucifer out the door but I can't root for the cowboys...I did a post apologizing in the random thread.

11 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

First..dont come at me with big words, second...I ..lost my train of thought lol..you have a good point lol homerism getting in the way..you really think I dont understand what needs to happen to this organization? Yes it was a meaningless game and the loss especially the way it happened got brucifer out the door but I can't root for the cowboys...I did a post apologizing in the random thread.

I'm sorry if i came at you strong with big words.  :) I'm just tired of people policing others views or calling into question their fandom, and that's both ways.   I don't blame you for not wanting to root for the cowboys.  But to call me a 'supposed fan' because I'd prefer to lose for a better draft pick or to get of Bruce Allen is not fair.  The season is over, Bruce is gone, and we have the #2 pick, so we should be one big happy family again.  🤪

1 minute ago, SkinFanInMinn said:

I'm sorry if i came at you strong with big words.  :) I'm just tired of people policing others views or calling into question their fandom, and that's both ways.   I don't blame you for not wanting to root for the cowboys.  But to call me a 'supposed fan' because I'd prefer to lose for a better draft pick or to get of Bruce Allen is not fair.  The season is over, Bruce is gone, and we have the #2 pick, so we should be one big happy family again.  🤪

Foooo shooo..

If we get chase young and hes a play maker and everyone keeps forgetting about that linebacker dude that got injured by just stepping on to the practice field lol..49er guy..if he stays healthy and a year two of sweat..add Rivera's defense..koc is retained..I'm looking at winning the division next year.

1.  Really feel 5 years from now that football people run the football team and Snyder sticks to marketing.

2.  Have the same GM and coach in 2024 as Snyder hires for 2020.

3.  Make the playoffs 2 of the years and win the division 1 of the seasons.

5.  Have a positive identity.  The Steelers have known who they were since Chuck Knoll was hired when I was in high school.  I would like the new regime to establish an identity that is positive and that will endure.  Now the Skins are Daniel Snyder's screw-ups regardless of who coaches and who quarterbacks the team.  Forget the name we have an established brand of idiocy, I'd want that to change and the team to become quietly competent.

I think all of these things are very reasonable expectations but unfortunately, I don't expect Snyder to achieve any of it.  Maybe what I should really hope for is I care less and expect nothing.

Five things that would constitute success:

1.  Dan Snyder stays completely out of the Football side of things.   Just writes the checks and stays quiet.   

2. Have a competent GM or President of Football operations choosing the groceries with input from the HC so they are aligned.

3.  A team that plays with sustained effort the whole game.   I can't get over the collapses in the second half that we have all witnessed for years. 

4.  No more rumors of any kind emerging from a "source" within Redskins park.  

5. If all four are met we are going to win a few division titles and from there you never know.  You just want to get into the tournament. 

Archived