Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Press Release: #Redskins WAY AND SCHERFF NAMED TO 2020 PRO BOWL

TK

For Immediate Release                                                                                  

December 17, 2019

WAY AND SCHERFF NAMED TO 2020 PRO BOWL

LOUDOUN COUNTY, Va. – The National Football League announced this evening that punter Tress Way and guard Brandon Scherff have been selected to the 2020 Pro Bowl. The annual contest of the NFL's best will take place Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020, at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Fla.

In addition, safety Landon Collins was selected as a first alternate and defensive tackle Matt Ioannidis was chosen as a fourth alternate.

Including two selections last season, the Redskins have now produced at least two Pro Bowl players in four consecutive seasons for the first time since the 2007-10 campaigns.

Way was selected as the starting punter for the NFC and the selection is the first of his career. He becomes the first Redskin punter to be selected to the Pro Bowl since Matt Turk in 1998. Way joins Turk (three-time Pro Bowler in 1996-98) and Reggie Roby (Pro Bowler in 1994) as the only players in Redskins history to be selected to the Pro Bowl as a punter.

Way, 29, has appeared in 94 games for the Redskins from 2014-19 and has registered 428 total punts for 19,923 yards (46.5 avg.) and has pinned 158 punts inside the 20-yard line. Way also holds a career net average of 40.5. He is the franchise leader in average, net average and punts inside the 20-yard line (since 1976) and is second in franchise history in total punts, total punt yardage and recorded the second-longest punt in franchise history, a 79 yarder in Week 13 this season. 

This season, Way has recorded 70 punts for 3,456 yards (49.4 avg. and 43.6 net avg.) and has pinned 26 punts inside the 20-yard line. He is second in the NFL and first in the NFC in total net yardage and leads the league in total average so far this season. His 26 punts inside the 20-yard line currently ranks eighth in the league and his 79-yard punt is the longest of the season thus far.

Scherff’s selection is the third of his career (2016-17; 2019). Scherff joins Trent Williams, Chris Samuels, Len Hauss, Joe Jacoby, Russ Grimm, Paul Lipscomb, Dick Stanfel and Jim Schrader as the only Redskins offensive linemen to be selected to the Pro Bowl three-plus times.

After being snubbed last year, Tress Way is finally making it to the Pro-Bowl. Great job!

Scherff is mostly going there by name this year as he was up and down, but it's still good to have him there (though he just went to IR and won't play obviously.

I'm a bit disappointed in Ioannidis being only a DL fourth alternate. Guy really playing at Pro-Bowl level lately. Maybe next year, hopefully for him.

Fun Facts from the Pro-Bowl selections:

- Only two OL: Terron Armstead - Saints and David Bakthiari - Packers are not from the NFC East. Every other ones comes from Eagles/Cowboys/Redskins. Our division sucks, but not our OL guys.

- NY Giants have 0 players selected in the Pro-Bowl, even the Bengals have 1 in Geno Atkins.

- No Tom Brady selected. That looks like a change of an era...

2 minutes ago, Gibbs828791 said:

So now every time I say Sheriff is overrated people scream "He is a probowler" like I said then I say now so What...no way he is the best RG in NFC..no way

First, this is his 3rd pro-bowl, so that has been the correct answer since 2016. Also, they are saying he is one of the top 3 guards - they do not differentiate between LG - RG. In fact all three players selected for the NFC Probowl team at G - Zack Martin, Brandon Brooks and Sherff, all play RG.

The voting is 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players, and 1/3 fans. So fans alone cannot get someone in as a pro-bowler, especially an interior lineman. So at least some of the people that actually play the game say you are wrong. I think I am going with the guys that have to line up against him. The ones who get paid to try and get passed him to make a play. 

Brandon Scherff has done nothing but play his ass off for this team, working tirelessly to do his job. He has 3 pro-bowls in 4 seasons. If it was one, sure you could call it a fluke. But 3 of the last 4 seasons. The one season he did not go he should not have as he was injured. 

It's really too bad so many Redskins fans cannot appreciate good players when we have them.  

3 minutes ago, Burgold said:

My concern isn't his play. I am a bit worried by how often he gets injured. All in all though, I'd prefer him to stay.

That's a fair concern. He missed 2 gms in 2017, 8 last year, and 3 so far this year. But dude is a beast when he is in. 

17 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW - Good guards are getting paid.

Edit

And every day they wait it either costs them more or they solidify their decision to not resign. More bungling by the brain trust. 

Just ****ing do something!!  They are always late doing what they need to. If you are not resigning him, OK trade him! Instead they will let a 1st rd draft pick with good value walk with no compensation. 

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

First, this is his 3rd pro-bowl, so that has been the correct answer since 2016. Also, they are saying he is one of the top 3 guards - they do not differentiate between LG - RG. In fact all three players selected for the NFC Probowl team at G - Zack Martin, Brandon Brooks and Sherff, all play RG.

The voting is 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players, and 1/3 fans. So fans alone cannot get someone in as a pro-bowler, especially an interior lineman. So at least some of the people that actually play the game say you are wrong. I think I am going with the guys that have to line up against him. The ones who get paid to try and get passed him to make a play. 

Brandon Scherff has done nothing but play his ass off for this team, working tirelessly to do his job. He has 3 pro-bowls in 4 seasons. If it was one, sure you could call it a fluke. But 3 of the last 4 seasons. The one season he did not go he should not have as he was injured. 

It's really too bad so many Redskins fans cannot appreciate good players when we have them.  

The players and coaches vote on reputation probably as much as the fans do.  Vote on rep, vote for your friends,vote against people you don't like. It's never just on merit.  Terrell Suggs voted Ryan Fitzpatrick over Tom Brady one time just because he hated the Patriots. 

Dont trust these players and coaches are always doing the right things and taking it seriously. 

Only 13 teams can vouch first hand for Scherff's play.  Maybe another 1/3 probably saw him on film from scouting an opponent.  The other 1/3 are just winging it.  

7 minutes ago, justice98 said:

The players and coaches vote on reputation probably as much as the fans do.  Vote on rep, vote for your friends,vote against people you don't like. It's never just on merit.  Terrell Suggs voted Ryan Fitzpatrick over Tom Brady one time just because he hated the Patriots. 

Dont trust these players and coaches are always doing the right things and taking it seriously. 

Only 13 teams can vouch first hand for Scherff's play.  Maybe another 1/3 probably saw him on film from scouting an opponent.  The other 1/3 are just winging it.  

You can throw out all the rationals you want and that the pro-bowl doesn't mean anything when we know it's only because it doesn't fit your narrative. But complaining about his play is irrational as he has totally beasted out when healthy. A fair concern is his inability to play 16 gms the last 3 yrs. But his play when healthy is top 3 to 5 easily. 

I will reiterate it's a shame so many redskins fans do not appreciate good players when we have them. 

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

My concern isn't his play. I am a bit worried by how often he gets injured. All in all though, I'd prefer him to stay.

I wish I had the audio of Jay Gruden saying, "I've had 2 first round picks since I've been here.  One hasn't played, and the other is a guuuuaaarrrrddd."  So completely dismissive.

That said, there is no way I pay a guard $12M+/year UNLESS it is the last piece of a SB roster.  There are so many other things to spend money on.  I would, if possible, tag and trade Scherff, and if not, just let him walk and get the comp pick in 2021.  

I'd love for him to stay, but I not at the price he's going to demand.  And he should go out and get the most money he could.  IF the 'Skins were actually "close" then I would say it would be worth doing.  But they're not, and so it's not.  

Besides, Wes Martin looked pretty good against a really solid DT last week, so that is somewhat promising.

I would, however, sign Eric Flowers RIGHT NOW.  Because you're absolutely going to have a new LT, and Martin at RG (assuming that happens) is a change, and you don't want to change 3+ pieces on the OL at one time if you can avoid it.  And I can't imagine Flowers is going to be overly expensive.  

5 hours ago, Gibbs828791 said:

So now every time I say Sheriff is overrated people scream "He is a probowler" like I said then I say now so What...no way he is the best RG in NFC..no way

This is right.   Scherff is a good player.   He's probably between 10 and 15 at his position.   He's not mobile enough to be higher.   I like him.   I'd like to keep him, but we are entering a danger zone with him similar to Cousins.   Cousins was between 10 and 20 at QB.   You can't pay the No. 15 QB the most money at the position in the league.   You can't pay the No. 15 guard the top money at his position.   Now, it's LESS money and we have a load of space so maybe you do it and just eat it.   But the simple fact is our best offensive lineman, best offensive player and our BEST player overall on our roster this year was Flowers.   And he won't get NEARLY the money Scherff will based purely on rep.

2 minutes ago, Art said:

This is right.   Scherff is a good player.   He's probably between 10 and 15 at his position.   He's not mobile enough to be higher.   I like him.   I'd like to keep him, but we are entering a danger zone with him similar to Cousins.   Cousins was between 10 and 20 at QB.   You can't pay the No. 15 QB the most money at the position in the league.   You can't pay the No. 15 guard the top money at his position.  

Another possible similarity between Scherff and Cousins, is that contrary to popular belief, it isn't really about the money, and he just wants out.

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Another possible similarity between Scherff and Cousins, is that contrary to popular belief, it isn't really about the money, and he just wants out.

I wonder this as well.  He was saying all the right things at the beginning of the season but also wonder if the Trent thing had an effect on him.  If Trent returned under new upper mgmt would that make Scherff more agreeable to stay at a more reasonable contract?

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Unlikely.   If we offered Cousins what the Vikings did he'd be here.   He was all about the money.   It's true he didn't like us enough to provide any hometown discount and Scherff may be similar as most players are, but, if we offer him the most, he'll be here.   And we may offer him the most.   Some of it depends still on Trent.   In the situation where Allen is gone and a new regime comes in it is likely Williams returns in which case it's LESS likely you'll pay for Scherff.   Williams still likes Snyder and has been very good about pointedly targeting Allen.   If Allen is back, I see us paying more for Scherff as we'll have a rookie at left tackle and someone to replace Moses I presume.   

1 minute ago, jbird said:

Quinton Dunbar is a glaring omission.

How long is he on the books? Can we get him a contract extension asap?

The cost to resign Scherff just went through the roof.

Dunbar has already signed a 3-year extension - early in 2018.

Although he should probably get another one soon, because I believe that would end his contract at the end of the 2020 season.

9 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Dunbar has already signed a 3-year extension - early in 2018.

Although he should probably get another one soon, because I believe that would end his contract at the end of the 2020 season.

Lock him down.

He is a worker, #1 corner in the league this year, and a homegrown product.

Scherff hasn't been dominant but what other Gs really stand out in the NFC? Has Zack Martin been awesome this year? It could just be that he's better then anyone else.

Ion has had a good year too, tough to make the Pro Bowl as an NFC DT though wtih the likes of Donald and Cox.

Happy for Way. Dude has been money for two years now.

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That said, there is no way I pay a guard $12M+/year UNLESS it is the last piece of a SB roster.  There are so many other things to spend money on.  I would, if possible, tag and trade Scherff, and if not, just let him walk and get the comp pick in 2021.  

The projected tag number for OL is $16.1M. It was $14.06M last year. There is a new calculation method for tags that include a % of CAP component that makes the number higher. If they tag him and he signs it, the team will pay more or get almost nothing as any trading team (very unlikely) would have to assume his tag number the first season. As for tag and trade itself , that is not happening. Yes I know a few teams have pulled it off. But those are rare and take specific situations and a competent FO. Neither of those exist. 

As for the $12M number -  right now that puts him tied for 3rd highest if no other contracts get done. If that's your never paying it, your cieling mustg be significantly lower thant that. That get's you an average to below overage RG maybe. 

37 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'd love for him to stay, but I not at the price he's going to demand.  And he should go out and get the most money he could.  IF the 'Skins were actually "close" then I would say it would be worth doing.  But they're not, and so it's not.  

Besides, Wes Martin looked pretty good against a really solid DT last week, so that is somewhat promising.

I would, however, sign Eric Flowers RIGHT NOW.  Because you're absolutely going to have a new LT, and Martin at RG (assuming that happens) is a change, and you don't want to change 3+ pieces on the OL at one time if you can avoid it.  And I can't imagine Flowers is going to be overly expensive.  

I agree about Flowers. But I also think that I would much prefer to pay Scherff the $15M/yr he will command and release Moses who is not nearly as good at RT as Scherff is at RG. That way you keep the middle of the Olinbe intact. 

34 minutes ago, Art said:

This is right.   Scherff is a good player.   He's probably between 10 and 15 at his position.   He's not mobile enough to be higher.   I like him.   I'd like to keep him, but we are entering a danger zone with him similar to Cousins.   Cousins was between 10 and 20 at QB.   You can't pay the No. 15 QB the most money at the position in the league.   You can't pay the No. 15 guard the top money at his position.   Now, it's LESS money and we have a load of space so maybe you do it and just eat it.   But the simple fact is our best offensive lineman, best offensive player and our BEST player overall on our roster this year was Flowers.   And he won't get NEARLY the money Scherff will based purely on rep.

I will ignore for now the top 15 crack at Scherff as honestly that's laughable. But let's just play the top 15 game. The real problem with this is that it's happening after his contract year. If they felt this way they needed to either move him or get him signed last year. They are always a year late with this stuff. Same thing with Cousins - Ok they do not see him as the long term answer. Ok, why keep tagging him? You spent more money than if you just signed him. And you had no control.

So they will end up either overpaying for Scherff (they could have signed him for less last off season) or losing him for no more than a comp pick maybe. This is the type of incompetence that is maddening. 

46 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree about Flowers. But I also think that I would much prefer to pay Scherff the $15M/yr he will command and release Moses who is not nearly as good at RT as Scherff is at RG. That way you keep the middle of the Olinbe intact. 

There is absolutely no reason you can't re-sign Flowers, cut Moses and re-sign Scherff if you want to.  I just don't think the difference in terms of impact of a guard vs. the impact of a top-flight skill position player, which the 'Skins lack, is the same.  Especially if Martin can play guard at a reasonable level.  

I believe in building from the inside out, but i also think there are certain positions where you HAVE to spend more money at to get impact players, and you should allocate your money there.  QB, pass-rushers, DB, LT all come to mind as more important than guard.

For example, I would let Scherff walk in a heartbeat if they needed that money to sign a top-end FA to replace Trent.  The fact that LT is basically open means you either have to draft high or pay a lot of money for one.  And I don't know if you want to do that and sign Scherff to a $15/year deal. 

I would try like hell to move on from Moses though.  Dude is a holding penalty and a false start waiting to happen.

In an absolute ideal world, you could have  New LT, Flowers, Rouiller, Martin, Christian as your starting 5 with Christian battling somebody in camp, and new LT as either a stud prospect or a big name FA.

I wouldn't complain if they re-signed Scherff.  You need good players and he's a good player.  But I just don't think Guard is where you spend a ton of money.  In theory, a competent FO can find very capable guards in the draft or in FA.  

Archived