Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Lions

KDawg

Let's give him the rest of the season to work out the issues that he is having both on and off the field. Hopefully they get him a mentor that he can and WANTS to learn from. He has the rest of the season and offseason to make changes.......next year he gets to drop back with a badass new offensive line that we are going to draft and procure. Whirfs or Thomas or ****ing **** you Bruce.

5 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

No, I think he means to say there are so many other QBs to choose from who lack touch that only naming one is silly.

The way the balls sails is exactly like Leftwich.  He also stands strong like Leftwich.  

I watched a lot of Byron back in the day and after watching Haskins last year in college, that's who came to mind for me. 

Scot McLoughan even made the same comparison.  "Better than former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who McCloughan describes as "Byron Leftwich to a 'T'."

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm saying there have been a ton of QBs who lack touch since Leftwich was in the league. And that you have to have known that. So deciding to compare him to Leftwich is...

Is what? 

It's not just lack of touch, but also a very strong arm.  Byron is the player that comes to mind for me.  Who comes to your mind?

I actually saw on twitter that Russell said he was told Haskins took the selfie before Dunbar's INT...and that he didn't have any way of determining if it was true.

Anyone who has even a slight amount of deductive reasoning skill should see why a statement like that is laughable.

4 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Is what?  That is the player that comes to mind for me.  Who comes to your mind?

None do. I look at players as individuals, with maybe a trait or two that might remind me of someone else. Most player comparisons are wildly inaccurate and based on superficial things. Leftwich and Jason Campbell both had long-ass windups when they threw...but Campbell didn't remind me of Leftwich as a QB.

What I remember of Leftwich was he was tall, immobile and had a slow release due to his weird throwing mechanics which hurt his timing especially when he was rushed.  I see some of that in DH.  I guess Josh Allen is someone to compare DH too as well.  Allen's got a big arm but he doesn't have much touch on his deep throws and tends to overthrow his WRs a lot.  He's more mobile though and can create outside the pocket.   

10 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

None do. I look at players as individuals, with maybe a trait or two that might remind me of someone else. Most player comparisons are wildly inaccurate and based on superficial things. Leftwich and Jason Campbell both had long-ass windups when they threw...but Campbell didn't remind me of Leftwich as a QB.

I think comparing players is the easiest and most natural way to get some sort of projection on a players development.

I think that's why professional scouts and talent evaluators do it as well.  *Shrug*

Campbell didn't remind me of Leftwich, personally.

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Seriously?...Leftwich is the only QB who lacks touch who comes to your mind?

22 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Are you trying to insinuate it was a racially driven comparison? 

19 minutes ago, Rex Tomb said:

No, I think he means to say there are so many other QBs to choose from who lack touch that only naming one is silly.

15 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

The way the balls sails is exactly like Leftwich.  He also stands strong like Leftwich.  

I watched a lot of Byron back in the day and after watching Haskins last year in college, that's who came to mind for me. 

Scot McLoughan even made the same comparison.  "Better than former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who McCloughan describes as "Byron Leftwich to a 'T'."

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm saying there have been a ton of QBs who lack touch since Leftwich was in the league. And that you have to have known that. So deciding to compare him to Leftwich is...

9 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

Is what?  That is the player that comes to mind for me.  Who comes to your mind?

Please end this conversation in this thread. We're not going to go trolling each other for unsaid and ridiculous takes. Feel free to do it elsewhere. 

40 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

thanks but isn't that the sack they are actually referring to?  I am no Jonathan Allen hater, loved the pick when it happened.  I am just repeating that PFF judging by their scores think little of the season he is having.  But have liked Payne and Settle and Ionnaidis.  none of whom have great scores but they do have good scores. 

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 9.54.14 AM.png

1 minute ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Our kicker deserves some positive reviews.  After Mark Mosely retired we went several years without a decent kicker.  He made good kicks yesterday.

I think he's a victim of this being a bad team and not being the best in the league at his position (which is why Way gets mentioned).

If this was a better team I think you'd see more praise for Hopkins.

Our STs played well at all levels. Apke is always around the ball no matter where hes playing. Our ILBs looked very good again. Guise looks good. Chase looks good. If Sims can play slot, we've got 3 rookie starting WRs. Fabian looked good as CB2 where he should play. More Moreland is good in the slot.

So many good things to talk about and it turns into another stupid ****ing QB thread.

3 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

I love Settle.  There are a couple keepers on D, and he is one of the few.

Missing Payne definitely showed though.

8 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

I think comparing players is the easiest and most natural way to get some sort of projection on a players development.

I think that's why professional scouts and talent evaluators do it as well.  *Shrug*

Campbell didn't remind me of Leftwich, personally.

It's definitely the easiest lol...which is why a lot of people do it and also why a lot of the time it's inaccurate.

But at least when scouts do it, they try to utilize a lot of metrics to reach their player comparisons. And even then it's inaccurate a few too many times.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Off-the-field: Let's say this: We know Haskins has some maturity issues. So him taking a selfie on the sideline with some fans shouldn't really surprise anyone. This is a guy who "liked" a social media post about Jay Gruden being fired. This is a guy who sat disinterested on the sideline while a coach was reviewing film. This is a guy who told the league they messed up on draft night for passing on him. Maturity has been an issue. And he's young. That can be fixed with a little experience and a little tender loving care. The issue I have with the selfie is the defense of it. 

My problem with that: How many times have we actually seen a player drafted in the first round with real maturity issues... especially a QB... actually turn it around and have a successful career. Haskins either doesn't care or is just blissfully clue-free to what he's supposed to be at this point. I can't recall a guy actually turning around that.

5 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

My problem with that: How many times have we actually seen a player drafted in the first round with real maturity issues... especially a QB... actually turn it around and have a successful career. Haskins either doesn't care or is just blissfully clue-free to what he's supposed to be at this point. I can't recall a guy actually turning around that.

But if he fixes this, that, that and this... We have a decent QB.

I am not sure I agree with the Leftwich comparisons but I recall them well during the draft process.  I think the Leftwich comparison, ditto Big Ben, Carson Palmer was driven by he was a big dude, pocket passer, who looked hard to bring down but not that mobile.

As the draft got closer I wasn't a Haskins guy.  He though is much more mobile than I thought he would be.  I like his mobility in the pros more than I thought I would.    Other that that, I've not been reassured about anything else.  

I don't always agree with Sheehan but my position on Haskins is identical to him.

A.  More mobile and pocket presence than I thought

B.  I like if anything his athletic arrogance- moxie.

C.  Got some concerns about his accuracy.

D.  I believe he deserves a bigger sample size to judge

E.  I am not ruling out he's a franchise QB

F. If you forced me to land on a position now -- franchise or not -- I'd bet on not. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/02/28/kyler-murray-height-best-quarterback-scot-mccloughan?utm_source=reddit.com

McCloughan, the former general manager for Washington (2015-16) and San Francisco (2008-09), isn't at the scouting combine. He's at home in suburban Denver, where he runs a scouting service, Instinctive Scouting, and consults with a handful of teams each draft season. He watched each of the top QB prospects over the last several months and came to a conclusion: Murray is the best of the bunch by a mile. Better than former Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who McCloughan describes as "Byron Leftwich to a 'T'."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2830603-if-nfl-teams-like-dwayne-haskins-why-is-he-tumbling-down-draft-boards

But something odd is happening, and it goes beyond the debate in NFL circles about whether Haskins is talented and inexperienced or just too raw to run an offense at this point. Simply put, signs are pointing to the real possibility that Haskins' draft stock is plummeting.

...After speaking to a half-dozen front-office executives and coaches, some answers are becoming clear.

"Can he move enough when [the] pocket changes?" one NFC coach asked in a text. "Great kid! Will learn. Agility concerns and limited exposure [with] down-the-field throws."

This is one of the smartest coaches (and people) I've ever known. If he is expressing these concerns, then my guess is this is an emerging—or already established—leaguewide belief about Haskins.

"I like him a lot," the coach added. "He'll learn but will take time. Best place would be a [year] or two behind a veteran starter. A good comparison would be Jacoby Brissett. I loved Brissett. I'm a little concerned about Haskins."

Another comparison floated my way was Byron Leftwich, the former Jaguars quarterback who is now the offensive coordinator with the Buccaneers.

Nothing wrong with becoming the next Leftwich, or Brissett, but patience isn't an abundant resource in the NFL anymore. Teams aren't going to want to take several years to groom Haskins if they take him in the top 10. They're going to want more immediate production. This might explain the alleged slide.

Other NFL sources worry it may take years for Haskins to develop the mechanics and footwork needed to perform the core task of the quarterback game: connecting accurately on deep passes.

Oddly, what teams say about Haskins privately isn't matching up with what analysts are proclaiming publicly.

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-football-NFL-Draft-Dwayne-Haskins-compares-to-Carson-Palmer-129131321/

Draft analyst Ryan Wilson from CBSSports has a comparison that we have never heard regarding Haskins, but it makes a lot of sense.

“This is a tough one, but I went with Carson Palmer," Wilson says in the embedded video above. "I had to go way back to 2003 for Palmer, the former first-overall pick by the Cincinnati Bengals out of USC. He was a traditional pocket passer with a rocket arm who can make all the throws for the Bengals and then later the Raiders and the Cardinals.

“I think that’s exactly the type of player Dwayne Haskins can be. He’s a little bit more athletic than Palmer, but he’s not going to be a runner, just like Palmer wasn’t a runner."

Hey, don't tell that to Stephen A. Smith. Sorry, we couldn't resist.

“You could even compare Haskins to someone like Byron Leftwich," Wilson said. 

Archived