Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Lions

KDawg

Dwayne Haskins.

On-the-field: I thought he played his best game as a Redskin. He made good decisions with the football, stood in the pocket in the face of pressure, threw the ball to the correct receiver, had good command and trusted his receivers to go make plays. On the other hand, his mechanics were the best I've seen them this year, but still poor. Struggled to set his feet on some easy throws, let his elbow position slide, over-anticipated receiver positioning, let the ball sail. So while I think he played his best game on the field, I'm not sure it was good. Having said that, it's a great building block for a developing quarterback. Except...

Off-the-field: Let's say this: We know Haskins has some maturity issues. So him taking a selfie on the sideline with some fans shouldn't really surprise anyone. This is a guy who "liked" a social media post about Jay Gruden being fired. This is a guy who sat disinterested on the sideline while a coach was reviewing film. This is a guy who told the league they messed up on draft night for passing on him. Maturity has been an issue. And he's young. That can be fixed with a little experience and a little tender loving care. The issue I have with the selfie is the defense of it. 

Taking a selfie on the sideline is, in a vacuum, not a huge deal. But, it's a bad look. How many all-time great QBs have done something like that in the past? Granted, the world is quickly evolving to a state where things like this are the new norm. So let's say we give him the benefit of the doubt on this. We say this was due to his age and this will be remedied as he gains more experience and learns from his mistakes. The incident becomes less ominous. Except... for all the stuff listed above (plus more) that has already happened with him. He is 11 games into his NFL career and he has a laundry list of maturity issues. That is alarming. And to be honest, it negates the improvements he's made on the field.

Now, that last line is interesting. The team once again went four quarters without scoring a touchdown, but Dwayne "The Closer" Haskins just played his best game as a pro where Harmon and McLaurin bailed him out more times than they had any right to. So while I above say it's a building block, it's only one because of how poor he's played on a week to week basis. 

Dwayne Haskins is focused too much on himself. He looks the part of a narcissist. Is he? I don't know. I don't know the man. But given his linemen's disinterest in his over the top antics last week when he disguised chastising as encouragement, I'd say his attitude is wearing thin with his teammates as well. This is not a man that can run a franchise.

I have been a proponent of giving him a chance despite the obvious bust potential. And I still think he needs to finish out the season. But forget his on-the-field stuff at this point. It's been bad. Improving or not. But my biggest concern with Haskins (And again, I have many on field concerns) is that if he doesn't develop his maturity level, and fast, there is not a single player in that locker room who will take him seriously as a leader. He is self sabotaging at this point. And what's scary is he is already at a disadvantage given his current franchise. He doesn't need to aide that disadvantage. And yet week after week he says or does something that is, quite frankly, detrimental to the team.

Stop talking about yourself. Stand in front of the microphone, praise your teammates. Don't say a word about yourself. Make it about them. You're not a closer at this point. You've simply added a "C" to that word. Fix it. Prove you can be a mature, franchise leader through the rest of this year. If you can't, don't whine and cry about the Redskins being the problem as you move forward in your career. You did this to yourself.

Studs:

Steven Sims *** - Admittedly this could go to five different players. But Simms accounted for the biggest play in the game, which ultimately was the only touchdown the Redskins scored. He's fast, he's electric, and he looked like he was shot out of a cannon on that return. Please, stop holding the ball with one hand, you did it on the opening kickoff, too. But this was an awesome play and deserves the top spot.

Quinton Dunbar/Fabian Moreau ** - Moreau wasn't great in his role as the slot guy. He looks much better outside. Look, part of that is they played against Driskell. Understood. But he played great coverage, and the interceptions he made were fantastic. That final pick by Dunbar was just picture perfect. As long as Dunbar isn't in man to man coverage, he is a lethal corner. Lots of fun to have him.

Terry McLaurin/Kelvin Harmon * - Could have been the top guys, the two-star guys or the one-star. These guys made plays that they had no right to make. McLaurin just gets open. Harmons diving snag was surreal. And he almost pulled a McLaurin by wrestling an interception out of the Lions' hands. He failed, but damn what an effort. Refreshing to see youth at DB and WR that is succeeding despite the state of the franchise.

Duds:

Dwayne Haskins :(:(:( - Strictly for the presser. Extremely disappointing to see that kind of attitude out of a young man who is trying to prove himself.

Bill Callahan :(:( - 1 out of what, the last 20 quarters, that the team has scored a touchdown? Absolutely pathetic. And the running game he wants to hang his hat on is virtually non-existent.

Bruce Allen :( - Only get one today. Lucky.

Season Totals: 

Terry McLaurin - 18x*

Tress Way - 7x*

Adrian Peterson - 6x*

Daron Payne - 5x*

Steven Simms - 5x*

Quinton Dunbar - 2x*

Fabian Moreau - 2x*

Derrius Guice - 2x*

Inside LBs - 2x*

Jonathan Allen - 2x*

Ion - 2x*

Paul Richardson - 2x*

Ryan Kerrigan - 1x*

Kelvin Harmon - 1x*

Vernon Davis, fans who left - 1x*

Case Keenum - Push

Injuries - 2x :(

Nicholson - 2x  :(

Right Side of OL - 3x :(

Secondary as a whole minus Collins- 3x :( (This one will be removed last week as it's not applicable anymore)

Dwayne Haskins - 4x :(

Greg Manusky - 7x :(

Bill Callahan - 9x :(

Jay Gruden -8x :(

Josh Norman - 11x :(

Bruce Allen -21x :(

1 minute ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Terry McLaurin is the lone bright spot on a otherwise disaster of a season, did we really get that lucky or did someone on the Redskins actually do their homework on this kid ?

Probably a little of both. They accidentally did their homework on McLaurin when they went to Haskins pro day and McLaurin was running routes with him. I'm sure at that point they paid much more attention to his film and realized what kind of person/player he was. So I'd say they absolutely did their homework, but I think him running routes for Haskins is what really got their attention.

I disagree with the off the field stuff.

Narcissist? Brother, if you don't think Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are narcissists...they literally showed the interview of Rodgers at the draft and the reporter asked how he felt about the 49ers not drafting him, and he dead eyed looked at her and said "not as bad as they are going to feel for not drafting me"...

I noticed his linemen run to pick him up every time he hit the ground yesterday. And I saw Moses run up and embrace him after the 4th quarter drive. I don't think the act is wearing thin on them. 

The kid is confident. And he is a kid. If he starts blaming his teammates for his mistakes then yeh...

1 minute ago, dballer said:

I disagree with the off the field stuff.

Narcissist? Brother, if you don't think Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are narcissists...they literally showed the interview of Rodgers at the draft and the reporter asked how he felt about the 49ers not drafting him, and he dead eyed looked at her and said "not as bad as they are going to feel for not drafting me"...

I noticed his linemen run to pick him up every time he hit the ground yesterday. And I saw Moses run up and embrace him after the 4th quarter drive. I don't think the act is wearing thin on them. 

The kid is confident. And he is a kid. If he starts blaming his teammates for his mistakes then yeh...

I think you misunderstand what narcissism is versus confidence. I don't see confidence in Haskins. Not one iota. I see total egocentric behavior.

Rodgers and Brady are confident. But they're also the first to tell you that they have good people around them. And, even if they were narcissists, they don't let it all hang out in the media.

I gave Haskins, on draft day, the same leeway I gave Rodgers when he said something similar. If you go back through my posts you may find it (though why would anyone care to take the time to do that? :ols: ). But given all that has transpired with him, it looks worse and worse.

As for the linemen picking him up, I didn't really notice that much to be honest. Looked like a typical situation. 

I am quite glad the team was able to show some positive emotion, though.

There was a stat yesterday during the telecast of the game, I don’t remember it exactly, but I think it stated thru the vast majority of the game, the Skins had 11 plays and 4 yards.  Again I can’t remember how long the stretch of game it was reflecting, but I think I remember it as a quarter or two.  That is BAD.  I mean, I know the Lions have the #1 D in the league....but again, we are close...

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

There was a stat yesterday during the telecast of the game, I don’t remember it exactly, but I think it stated thru the vast majority of the game, the Skins had 11 plays and 4 yards.  Again I can’t remember how long the stretch of game it was reflecting, but I think I remember it as a quarter or two.  That is BAD.  I mean, I know the Lions have the #1 D in the league....but again, we are close...

I know you were kidding about the Lions... but you got me curious where they ranked...

29th in yards per game and 25th in points allowed per game.

Not only are we close, but the team also has a closer.

Again, because I’m such a glutton for punishment, I recorded the game yesterday.  It was also announced that the Lions have a tough time with gap assignment, this should allow the Redskins to take advantage and run the football effectively.  Anyone have our stats on rushing yards yesterday?? 

1 minute ago, Bigmuss1 said:

Again, because I’m such a glutton for punishment, I recorded the game yesterday.  It was also announced that the Lions have a tough time with gap assignment, this should allow the Redskins to take advantage and run the football effectively.  Anyone have our stats on rushing yards yesterday?? 

Guice - 10 carries, 32 yards

Peterson - 10 carries, 27 yards

Haskins -  3 carries, 28 yards

23 meaningful carries (technically Keenum's kneel counts as a carry and a -1 yard play but I'm not counting that):

87 yards.

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think you misunderstand what narcissism is versus confidence. I don't see confidence in Haskins. Not one iota. I see total egocentric behavior.

Rodgers and Brady are confident. But they're also the first to tell you that they have good people around them. And, even if they were narcissists, they don't let it all hang out in the media.

I gave Haskins, on draft day, the same leeway I gave Rodgers when he said something similar. If you go back through my posts you may find it (though why would anyone care to take the time to do that? :ols: ). But given all that has transpired with him, it looks worse and worse.

As for the linemen picking him up, I didn't really notice that much to be honest. Looked like a typical situation. 

I am quite glad the team was able to show some positive emotion, though.

I don't know, I just re-watched the presser, I don't see narcissist at all. He talked a lot about "we" and "us", gave props for Terry making a great play on that last catch. Said he missed some throws....There were a couple of things i didn't like, he briefly blamed a hurt wrist on some of the missed throws, but he is a kid, I can give him a little bit of room on that. 

I think time will tell what his teammates think of him. I don't think there is enough there yet for someone on the outside to make that claim. 

I dont know how you can listen to some of the stuff this kid says and not think he has any confidence in himself. He clearly thinks he is the man and is not afraid of the criticism he gets for it. He comes off like an overconfident douche more than literally anything else. \

Edit: Im happy we won. I wish we had more than 2 play makers on offense at the same time. I really miss the days of Djax, Garcon, Reed and Chris Thompson all at the same time. Damn a we loaded in comparison. 

Couldn't agree more with KDawg's comments on Haskins' maturity issues. They're spot on and are very concerning for a guy that is potentially going to be the face of your franchise.

As for his on field play? He did some good things. Kept some plays alive with his legs and made some good throws under pressure. Absolutely needs to develop a touch on his throws. He tends to throw the ball too much on a line when they need to have some air under them. The overthrow to an open McLaurin in the endzone late in the game where he threw the ball on a line, was a ball that needed some air under it. If he puts some loft on the ball, McLaurin runs under it for an easy TD. The TD drop by McLaurin from about the 10 earlier was a ball that Haskins could've just feathered in there instead of throwing the fastball that he did. It should've been caught regardless, but no reason to throw a fastball there when you could just soft touch it to the receiver for an easy catch. 

Not sure how we managed to screw up the TO situation at the end, as we kicked the game winner with 20 seconds left. After that last completion before the game winning kick, how don't they let the clock run down to 2 or 3 seconds before taking that final TO? They took the final TO immediately after the catch with 20 seconds and though the chances are very slim that Detroit could've done anything after our kick, that should've been a walkoff game winner with no time left on the clock.

11 minutes ago, dballer said:

I don't know, I just re-watched the presser, I don't see narcissist at all. He talked a lot about "we" and "us", gave props for Terry making a great play on that last catch. Said he missed some throws....There were a couple of things i didn't like, he briefly blamed a hurt wrist on some of the missed throws, but he is a kid, I can give him a little bit of room on that. 

I think time will tell what his teammates think of him. I don't think there is enough there yet for someone on the outside to make that claim. 

There's not enough there yet for anyone to make claims about anything, especially on the outside. But that's what we're here for. 

I respect your opinion. I also respect, very much so, the fact that you're trying to put a positive spin on things. It's not unnoticed and I don't think it's bad to have people around who try to see the good.

But, as someone who has coached, the things that Haskins has been doing are the exact opposite of how you want your quarterback to act. Whether he's a stud or just someone that's in there because they are your best option. I've never seen a quarterback act like Haskins has and made it work. I coached athletes from 7th graders through seniors in college.

I've seen some immature quarterbacks, who made selfish decisions. But I've never seen one in the stands taking selfies (and I coached when selfies were a thing...). I've seen quarterbacks with tremendous egos, who could be argued as narcissistic perhaps, but never one who wasn't at least self aware. But these were the athletes whose teammates gave them strange sideways glances (but still helped them up after they hit the ground because that was the expectation), and struggled to do much of anything positive on the field.

None of these guys were pros. None of these guys came up in a storied collegiate program like Ohio State. 

Haskins CAN improve on the field. Like I said, I think today was all in all his best game (but again, not a good game in the least, but it's an improvement). But I honestly believe the biggest improvement he can make for him and his career is from a maturity standpoint. Fix that and he has a chance.

Again, just opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I dont know how you can listen to some of the stuff this kid says and not think he has any confidence in himself. He clearly thinks he is the man and is not afraid of the criticism he gets for it. He comes off like an overconfident douche more than literally anything else. \

If this is directed at me, here's is the definition of narcissism:

"Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes. This includes self-flattery, perfectionism, and arrogance. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water" - From Wikipedia.

To me, and again, we're talking terms here and how people use them differently, confidence involves humility while still believing in yourself. Narcissism is similar to what you're saying. So I think we're on the same page.

Heres some from PFF, I notice they think Jonathan Allen has quietly had a mediocre to bad season.   I haven't really zoned in on Allen personally this season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-week-12-pff-refocused-washington-redskins-19-detroit-lions-16

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Fabian Moreau was the hero of the day in the secondary for Washington, coming away with a game-sealing interception after they had taken the lead just moments earlier. He allowed a handful of catches on the day, but he more than made up for it with that interception and another earlier in the game.

Jonathan Allen was pushed around at times in the running game, and outside of the sack, he didn't really make any big impact as a pass-rusher.

Washington had a number of very close misses on incomplete passes, some being just slightly off-target by rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins. He also forced a few dangerous throws into tight coverage. But in the end, Haskins made a play with his legs on the final drive and connected with Terry McLaurin when needed most to set up the game-winning field goal.

The ground game for Washington was lacking outside of scrambles by Haskins. Adrian Peterson had a couple of questionable reads and averaged just 2.7 yards per carry. Rookie Derrius Guice was given more of an opportunity in the second half and had a couple nice runs, but one was called back due to a holding penalty and he ultimately didn’t fare much better with just 32 yards on 10 carries.

I still feel like there is an undertone of dissatisfaction and distrust amongst the players, some of which is generational. Haskins is a kid, people expecting him to be Bart Starr are kidding themselves. He is a reflection of his demographic, they grown up being bombarded with the notion that if you aren't going viral on social media you don't exist. I write that aspect of it off, I don't agree with it but the kids aren't going to hear it.

The play on the field is a reflection of some of that, vets unhappy with the Trent thing, being in the spotlight of a losing season, the whining of fans to sell the team, etc., etc. and so on. There is a lot of **** flying around, I'm glad I am not expected to focus on doing a hard job in the middle of it.

I still believe that if we had just had the stones to take our lumps fight up front, start Haskins and play him all season as OJT, he'd be showing all of us more by now. He didn't benefit one iota from sitting. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If this is directed at me, here's is the definition of narcissism:

"Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes. This includes self-flattery, perfectionism, and arrogance. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water" - From Wikipedia.

To me, and again, we're talking terms here and how people use them differently, confidence involves humility while still believing in yourself. Narcissism is similar to what you're saying. So I think we're on the same page.

It was directed toward you but not in a "I hate you and you are wrong way" so im not trying to be confrontational. We just disagree. 

Ill give you that hes narcissistic. But that doesn't preclude confidence even by the definition you gave us of it. He can be both, and your definition of narcissism and the below definition of confidence seems to agree with me on this. I just copied and pasted this from google and cant fix the format so excuse me on that. 

Also you are right i think we are describing the exact same thing just looking at it from different perspectives. I seem to be stuck on defending the dude and im not really sure why that is so whatever. Im not really arguing with you to be honest I think you are right for the most part. I just think he is clearly confidant in himself. He believes he can. Everything out of his mouth and even his actions on the field can be seen through the lens of "I know I can do this" if you want to look at it that way. I do, personally, cause I like confidence in out players. I hope its infectious. Kirk lost me the day he lowered his head in defeat. And I know this place will do it to anyone. 

con·fi·dence

noun

1. the feeling or belief that one can rely on someone or something; firm trust.
    "we had every confidence in the staff"
    the state of feeling certain about the truth of something.
    "it is not possible to say with confidence how much of the increase in sea levels is due to melting glaciers"
    a feeling of self-assurance arising from one's appreciation of one's own abilities or qualities.
    "she's brimming with confidence"

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It comes across like false bravado to me.  Something you see a lot of in kids and while he’s not necessarily a kid, he’s young.  I don’t think an uber confident dude celebrates a win over a butt team where he primarily played like butt to the extent he did.  The passion looked a lot like relief, from a guy not very confident right now.  Who can blame him?  He hasn’t had much to be confident about.

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is whether he gets a lot better from here.  Most are willing to overlook the other stuff if he hits what’s out there for him to hit.

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It comes across like false bravado to me.  Something you see a lot of in kids and while he’s not necessarily a kid, he’s young.  I don’t think an uber confident dude celebrates a win over a butt team where he primarily played like butt to the extent he did.  The passion looked a lot like relief, from a guy not very confident right now.  Who can blame him?  He hasn’t had much to be confident about.

At the end of the day, the only thing that really matters is whether he gets a lot better from here.  Most are willing to overlook the other stuff if he hits what’s out there for him to hit.

This I can totally get with. I can see it being bravado too but its close enough for me to wonder if hes really stubborn enough to still think he can do it. He obviously knows he has limitations, as he speaks on them when hes being sincere. But I also think he has been told enough though his life that hes talented and can do anything that he really believes that once he figures it out, he can. He said almost exactly that before he was drafted, so I have every reason to think that he does. 

I do think this team will break him eventually though. He reminds me of RG3 in that he think HE can change it himself. And because we dont have a structure in place he will eventually be broken. I just think hes so into himself that he still thinks he can. 

We had to physically break RG3 before he gave up on himself. I think they are the same guy when it comes to that confidence thing. And yes i know that puts him in horrible company but thats my honest opinion of the dude. You gotta think you can do it to do it in the NFL. No one just lucks into it. 

I wish he wasnt the only thing to talk about on this team though. Seriously. i dont wanna turn this into another on of his threads but there really isnt much else. So ima go to his thread. 

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I wish he wasnt the only thing to talk about on this team though. Seriously. i dont wanna turn this into another on of his threads but there really isnt much else. So ima go to his thread. 

There are other things to talk about. Kelvin Harmon and Terry McLaurin are very promising receivers. That is exciting if you are into that type of thing. Dunbar is an absolute stud. Collin is a stud. Cole Holcomb flashed again. Sims should be returning punts. 

The selfie is irrelevant to me...I was of the understanding that:

- He thought the game was over

- It was the fans who asked him if he'd take a selfie with them and gave him their phone to do so

If both of those are true, then I'm not seeing a narcissist. I'm seeing an emotional kid who--after gaining his first win during a season where it must feel as if everyone has been calling him a lazy, disinterested bust--wanted to celebrate a second or two too early. He definitely should have the presence of mind to look at the clock, though. And taking a selfie with fans is what he did all offseason...nobody would be claiming narcissism if the game was over, and it's not as if he whipped out his own phone and took a selfie in front of the scoreboard or some ****. It would just be another animated gif to throw on the pile of his emotional reactions to his first win. If Donovan McNabb can not know that games can end in a tie and if Randy Moss can go into the locker room in a tantrum before the game has actually ended and not have these moments define who they are as players, then a rookie can have a brainfart and not realize there are still one or two seconds left on the clock after an emotional (for him) win. Hell, I've seen entire teams start to head for the locker room and had to be told the game wasn't over yet.

And in a season where nothing whatsoever has gone right for the team and they have only managed one win, I would imagine that helping to orchestrate two drives at the end of the game to take the lead had him feeling far more positive about things than "Well, we lost by 30 points but I think I made some incremental improvement so that's good"...

Archived