Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why starting Haskins the rest of the way could ruin Skins future

BoycottEuphemisticFans

I want to know: who is Haskins QB coach since he was drafted? I mean dedicated to developing him from Day One. If there isn't one, why not? 

Gruden lasted as head coach about three years too many. He wanted to do everything, be the QB coach, the offensive coach, and the head coach. 

Look at Bellichek, he's the head coach and lets his other coaches do their part of the plan. 

Redskins big mistake is not hiring specific QB coach to develop the QBs, the most egregious was for RG3, and now Haskins.

This is ****ed up to ruin instead of developing personnel. Another peeve of mine is getting players who are really good at something and having them doing something entirely different. It makes me nuts!

12 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Before he got the concussion he was playing a hell of alot better then/than haskins did.case wouldnt have over thrown mclaurin like that..he had been hooking up with him all night..I dont get what's so confusing..

Case has won 1 game this year. I don't get what's so confusing about that.

Who is everyone salivating over in NCAA right now? Id project the #3 pick with Miami and Cinci taking the 2 "best" qbs before us. SO who are we left with that is night and day more gane fay ready than DH and not a project? Im no NCAA talent evaluator nor do I watch every down of every game- but this is what I see from the outside lookin in-

Tua: is already getting the injury prone label... His ankles and body will suffer if he plays the way he does vs NFL defenders. Just saw he is out tonight.. Can he protect himself unlike other mobile qbs? Likely the top pick and his body or work speaks for its self.

Burrow: appears to have issues vs zone coverage at times and has made some questionable throws/ decisions today. Not a judgement to him as an overall player tho- Cant argue that he isnt the best qb in 100 years or so at LSU.. And has a solid foundation.

-His youthful small head remind me of Manzel for some reason (purely personal and nothing to do with his on or off the field actions). But still! Haha anyway, Likely #2 if not #1 with how rapidly his stock has soared this year.

Hurts: This might be the top rated qb left on our board at #3. He has definitely put up some numbers and has some great attributes... Is he head and shoulders above DH mechanica wise? Isnt he the guy who was benched in the NCAA championship game? Is he just a benefactor of OUs coaching, system, and supporting cast? Or is Mr Riley THE qb whisperer?

Kind of a drop off after that... But Im not seeing any rookie qb turn around this franchise in year one. If Haskins trully is a bust (waaaaay to soon to make tthis claim but still) why not take some INSTANT game changers this draft, trade TW, and any other aging vet we can get something for (Kerrigan, JNo, Sherrif erc) to add more picks and build a young talented team around DH.. If he flops, cool get that #1 pick and take the best qb the following draft. This team is NOT close. And I dont see a qb @3 that will change that. Call me crazy... DH MIGHT even develop given some actual time like other rookie HOFers had

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

This keeps coming up...

He has been getting first team reps with Keenum banged up. Not all of them, which every rep counts so I understand that to a degree.

But when people say gameplan, do they mean him being prepared to play or a gameplay totally tailored to him? I’d argue the coaches call the plays catered to him every time he’s come in... so I don’t think it’s the latter. If the former, why the **** is the backup QB not prepared with the gameplan? 

I mean those are very valid points and questions, and having not been on an NFL team, I certainly don't have all the answers, but there's a very good reason starters get literally all the 1st team reps, and both gameplans were for Case... He hasn't actually started a game yet.  So even if they call plays based around Haskins, it might not have been stuff that was featured in the game plan during the week.

I'm not some fervent Haskins supporter, but I'm disappointed how quickly everyone is ready to just give up on him.  We knew he was a project coming into this.  There's also some bad info going around about how he can't get to his second and third reads, he was great at that in college, it's not something he's incapable of.

The REAL problem is he's on the Redskins and our dysfunction goes deep enough that he might be dead on arrival partially due to things he can't control.  

14 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Before he got the concussion he was playing a hell of alot better then/than haskins did.case wouldnt have over thrown mclaurin like that..he had been hooking up with him all night..I dont get what's so confusing..

Case has literally had multiple brutal overthrows on wide open TDs to both McLaurin and Quinn... I'm not disagreeing with you that he's our best chance to win now, but that's a silly argument based on actual, recent, obvious evidence that he's not going to overthrow people.

Also, yeah that was a bad throw by Haskins, but it wasn't so bad that McLaurin couldn't get both hands on it.  My dad always preached to me that even if it's a bad throw, if you get both hands on it, you gotta catch it.

Haskins was the owners choice. So, what will Dan do.  It's probably going take 2 to 3 years to develop this guy; assuming he can be developed.

Get him out there. 

Dan's coaching search will be dictated on Haskins. 

Will Dan want a coach to develop Haskins or will he let the coach decide that?

Arizona's coach wanted Murray; so they drafted him and traded Rosen.  Miami will draft a qb in 2020. Rosen has no future there and probably will be out if the nfl soon.

We can't decide on the future direction without knowing if it's worth it to develop Haskins. We can't decide that, unless we play him.

3 hours ago, TommyWilson said:

I mean those are very valid points and questions, and having not been on an NFL team, I certainly don't have all the answers, but there's a very good reason starters get literally all the 1st team reps, and both gameplans were for Case... He hasn't actually started a game yet.  So even if they call plays based around Haskins, it might not have been stuff that was featured in the game plan during the week.

I'm not some fervent Haskins supporter, but I'm disappointed how quickly everyone is ready to just give up on him.  We knew he was a project coming into this.  There's also some bad info going around about how he can't get to his second and third reads, he was great at that in college, it's not something he's incapable of.

The REAL problem is he's on the Redskins and our dysfunction goes deep enough that he might be dead on arrival partially due to things he can't control.  

For me, it was seeing his mechanics, or lack thereof.

His panic scramble looked awful; but he kept going further back and further back, then sacked. His overall skill level didn't resemble anything compared to most other QBs, they have something to hang their hat on, whether its footwork, field vision, pocket presence, etc etc, but he displayed none of these.

Its like teaching the QB position to someone who has never played QB before, and that would take at minimum 4-5 years; no one has the patience for that. Playing sandlot football against kids on defense who will most likely never sniff an NFL field doesn't give Haskins any benefit of a doubt; it just makes him a little bit better at sandlot football.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, Renegade7 said:

This is insane, he had multiple first round grades and collectively understood that he had the talent but needed to be in the right situation to develop properly.

such is our dilemma. We need to draft QBs that don’t need the right situation to succeed because this sure as hell isnt the right situation. Our drafted QB needs to succeed in spite of our situation. 

23 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

such is our dilemma. We need to draft QBs that don’t need the right situation to succeed because this sure as hell isnt the right situation. Our drafted QB needs to succeed in spite of our situation. 

Problem is I dont think such a QB exists, see Andrew Luck.

On 10/26/2019 at 4:26 AM, sempre_victrix said:

If Case can't go, play Haskins.  Give him at least 4 games to show that he can learn and lead an offense.  Remember, Kirk was pitiful for a couple of years until he matured and learned how to play in the NFL and Haskins is way younger, both in years and mentally.  He's still a kid.  If he has a couple of good starts, keep him 

Kirk was not pitiful his first couple years, he was just inconsistent. But he could move the ball and create points, he just threw picks at the worst time. All Dwayne does is throw picks.

21 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I want to know: who is Haskins QB coach since he was drafted? I mean dedicated to developing him from Day One. If there isn't one, why not? 

Gruden lasted as head coach about three years too many. He wanted to do everything, be the QB coach, the offensive coach, and the head coach. 

Look at Bellichek, he's the head coach and lets his other coaches do their part of the plan. 

Redskins big mistake is not hiring specific QB coach to develop the QBs, the most egregious was for RG3, and now Haskins.

This is ****ed up to ruin instead of developing personnel. Another peeve of mine is getting players who are really good at something and having them doing something entirely different. It makes me nuts!

Tim Rattay is the Redskins QB coach. The last several years, it was Kevin O'Connell before he got to be OC, Matt Cavanaugh before he was promoted out of relevancy, and Sean McVay doubling as OC and QB coach. 2014 with O'Connell was the one year the Redskins didn't have a dedicated QB coach.

On 10/25/2019 at 1:06 AM, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think Case wins us another game or two. DH would lose out for sure lol. 1-3 pick guaranteed and we can use that on a legit franchise QB (as much as I love Chase Young as a prospect)

And if the prospect is another bust?  What if all Haskins needs is one or two full seasons?  Not all qb’s are going to light it up right out the gates like Pat Mahomes.

NFL Network reporting Adrian Peterson told Haskins he needs to dig into the playbook and study more.   Ugh....this does  not sound good at all.

This report has nothing to do with Haskins mechanics and could be more troubling.   Peterson said on twitter he has faith in Haskins but did not deny he

had the talk with him.

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Tim Rattay is the Redskins QB coach. The last several years, it was Kevin O'Connell before he got to be OC, Matt Cavanaugh before he was promoted out of relevancy, and Sean McVay doubling as OC and QB coach. 2014 with O'Connell was the one year the Redskins didn't have a dedicated QB coach.

Thanks Nicky J! 

Haskins should have his own dedicated coach, if he's the future. Gruden didn't do anything to get him ready, considering last year's injuries. 

I'd like to see a new medical and training staff, there's been too many injuries all through the team these last years.

There is no such thing as a player bust in the Redskins organization. The Redskins are is the bust!! Haskin's, RGIII, Ramsey, just to name a few came into this organization with outstanding pedigree. They all won. They get here, get placed in horrible situations. Its a far gone conclusion that players become average at best here. Can't wait for Trent to get wherever he's going so he can hopefully tell the story. But rest assure when AP leaves at the end of this year, he's going to keep it real and probably tell us who he'd love to truck and why. 

On 10/25/2019 at 8:57 PM, ShoutyBearHead said:

I just wanted to reiterate my opinion on this subject again so that in 1-2 years from now when I'm telling people 'told you so' this is what I will be pointing to.

1. I don't care who plays QB the rest of the year.  Keenum, Colt, or Haskins.  Makes no difference to me.  

2.  The reason why seeing Haskins play now, for me, doesn't matter is because I already made up my mind on the guy based on his college performance.  NOT THE HANDFUL OF MINUTES HE'S PLAYED SO FAR IN THE NFL THAT SOME REPLIES HAVE SUGGESTED.   For the same reason why I wouldn't need to see YOU start a few games at QB or (as a PSU fan) Christian Hackenberg or Zach Mills.  Because I ALREADY KNOW Haskins is NOT CAPABLE of being an NFL caliber QB.  Btw, MOST QBS WHO PLAY COLLEGE FOOTBALL ARE NOT NFL CALIBER!!!!!   So, it's not like singling the guy out.  MOST CANNOT PLAY NFL Football. And again, this is simply my opinion on Haskins having watched his college games extremely closely. 

And so if you have that opinion as I do, but the team decides to play him for a bunch of games down the stretch, what I fear is this incapable player actually looks good for a game, maybe two.  THe NFL has had many BAD QBs look decent in a game or two.  And if that happens, a TERRIBLE QB SCOUT who's personally invested in the decision to take Haskins, Dan Snyder, might look at those games and say to the rest of the organization, "he's gonna be good, let's use the upcoming draft to build around him".    

I havent looked at the popular QBs in 2020's draft but I have heard anyway there are a few potential good ones.  And if the Redskins bypass taking one, which could be the difference maker the team needs to get out of the gutter, because THEIR OWNER is deciding once again what to do at that all-important QB position, then that's the script neccessary to ensure and prolong the redskins continued failure.

2 hours ago, NickyJ said:

In 2014, Jay was the QBC/OC/HC for this team, with a little help from McVay as QBC/OC... Because, officially, we didn't had any QBC. Then in 2015 we hired Cavanaugh.

3 hours ago, Vanguard said:

And if the prospect is another bust?  What if all Haskins needs is one or two full seasons?  Not all qb’s are going to light it up right out the gates like Pat Mahomes.

If the prospect is another bust then the team still did the right thing. Picking top 3, if you have no franchise QB, you have to pick one. I haven't ever seen anything that suggests DH is an NFL franchise QB. He put up great stats in college but the signs were there. I felt like he wasn't very accurate despite his high completion percentage. 

2 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

If the prospect is another bust then the team still did the right thing. Picking top 3, if you have no franchise QB, you have to pick one. I haven't ever seen anything that suggests DH is an NFL franchise QB. He put up great stats in college but the signs were there. I felt like he wasn't very accurate despite his high completion percentage. 

So you mean Haskins is a byproduct of Terry McLaurin?

Allen has now let the media know he will take trade offers for Williams.  Why?  The Danny told Allen we have to take the public relations hit on Williams to avoid

the worse public relations disaster with the current narrative surrounding Haskins not being worth being the 15th overall draft pick.

Archived