Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why starting Haskins the rest of the way could ruin Skins future

BoycottEuphemisticFans

a good car mechanic doesn't need to spend days, weeks, or months with your car to tell you it's salvageable.  A good car mechanic can tell you quickly to junk it and get a new one.

Consider this:

At some point they'll turn to Haskins.  He starts several games.  In those several games, maybe there's a game or two where statisically it looks good.  maybe he puts up a Patrick Ramsey vs the Giants in 2004 type performance (19-22, 3tds).    This is not impossible.  Or improbable.  Even bad QBs can have a game or two like this.  Many a bad NFL QB have done this.   It's called the anomaly.   Nobody in America wants Dwayne Haskins to succeed more than Dan Snyder.  It's his draft pick.  A couple of nice games to close out nowhere bound season could buoy the confidence of Snyder and even the less informed fans to say "yeah, lets build around this kid".   And that idea could bury the Redskins for ANOTHER half decade!

I havent studied this years crop of QBs like I did last year's (which included Haskins) but I hear some are good and washington would be in position to take one, currently.  If they miss out on a transformative QB because they MISREAD a couple of performances late in the season and put too much stock into it, enough to forgo a proper rebuild , starting QB first, to hitch their wagon to a guy I know today is not the answer...........well, whether you accept this or not, Gruden before him and Callahan now could be knowingly or perhaps unknowingly giving the franchise a fighting chance for its future by delaying the transition to Haskins as late as possible.  Because if he starts a bunch down this stretch, has a couple (2 maybe 3) statisically "good" games, this very well could excite the guy who desperately wants HIS QB pick to be the pick that launches the success of his team.....only for the truth to reveal itself to snyder as it has so many times before........when its too late, in 2020.   

I'm all for Keenum starting as long as possible.  Because I'd rather the team go into 2020 feeling like they need a QB and not delusional feeling like a game or two down the stretch by their rookie means they dont need one.   (of course, these clowns also want alex smith back on the field in '20, too.)   as my tag below stats, whatever the wrong decision is, I'm sure thats what GM Snyder will do.

That's a really interesting take on Haskins with regard to Snyder's mindset,....and I tend to agree.  

If "football people" (not even sure who they are) had made the pick I'd be more optimistic about Dwayne, but, they didn't.  We'll see how it plays out.

I think you have it backwards.

If you dont play him - The Skins will continue to think we have our QB of the future and he just needs some more fine tuning.

We need to play him and see if he is any good.

Somethings are rookie mistakes and i can accept, or playing behind a bad line. LIke getting sacked right away.  Not recognizing coverage. Waiting for a guy to be "WIDE" open before throwing.  That is what i expect.

Recognizing the defense, finding a wide open guy, having time to throw and then sailing a pass -THAT'S the stuff that isnt about him being a rookie.  We need to find out if that is just who he is or not. 

This is insane, he had multiple first round grades and collectively understood that he had the talent but needed to be in the right situation to develop properly.

Dont yall get it?  The way this franchise is currently operating it wouldnt matter who we drafted, we wont develop them properly. Calling this guy bust when we knew what we had to do and didnt so it is ridiculous and will not get solved by doing it again.

A rebuild will take some time, we should be focusing in the rest of the team and see how Haskins develops.  He doesnt need to be an all-pro, I'm so tired of this glimmer of hope giving Snyder glimmer of hope nonsense.  Hes dead wrong on what hes doing, he doesnt need a crack of light to convince himself hes right all the time.

How many rookie QBs do we have to fail to develop or outright ruin before we admit jus getting another one changes nothing and actually buys his ego more time to believe hes finally got it right this time?

We should be focusing on Haskins instead wasting another pick on a QB, we should not be calling him a bust after one season. Especially not this season, no one wants to work with him and he has nothing to work with, what did yall expect this to look like?

We need to know with some certainty one way or another. If he sucks, fine he sucks, we move on like Arizona did and draft someone else. But if we sit him on the bench we actually end up risking wasting more time. You draft a kid at 15, you gotta play him at some point.

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is insane, he had multiple first round grades and collectively understood that he had the talent but needed to be in the right situation to develop properly.

Dont yall get it?  The way this franchise is currently operating it wouldnt matter who we drafted, we wont develop them properly. Calling this guy a. Just when we knew what we had to do and didnt so it is ridiculous and will not get solved by doing it again.

A rebuild will take some time, we should be focusing in the rest of the team and see how Haskins develops.  He doesnt need to be an all-pro, I'm so tired of this glimmer of hope giving Snyder glimmer of hope nonsense.  Hes dead wrong on what hes doing, he doesnt need a crack of light to convince himself hes right all the time.

How many rookie QBs do we have to fail to develop or outright ruin before we admit jus getting another one changes nothing and actually buys his ego more time to believe hes finally got it right this time?

We should be focusing on Haskins instead wasting another pick on a QB, we should not be calling him a bust after one season. Especially not this season, no one wants to work with him and he has nothing to work with, what did yall expect this to look like?

Sorry. But this is wrong.

Haskins upside was his athleticism and his arm. That gave him a tremendous ceiling. No one knew if he could improve mechanically/with his reads except those who know him and those who interviewed him.

Haskins is exactly the same as he was in college. Half the time they show him on the sideline he's not even paying attention to Keenum looking at the film.

Hurts, Tua, Eason, Burrows are all much further along. Watch them play. Mechanics are decent to great between them. They go to more than a single read.

Doesn't mean they'd be great, but they'd look the part more than Haskins. It's been since April and he has, quite frankly, shown no improvement. Blame coaching or whoever, but at some point he has to be held accountable.

I agree with the idea that the FO will screw it up... But not necessarily based on the quarterback. Moreso based on what they surround that QB with.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Sorry. But this is wrong.

Haskins upside was his athleticism and his arm. That gave him a tremendous ceiling. No one knew if he could improve mechanically/with his reads except those who know him and those who interviewed him.

Haskins is exactly the same as he was in college. Half the time they show him on the sideline he's not even paying attention to Keenum looking at the film.

Hurts, Tua, Eason, Burrows are all much further along. Watch them play. Mechanics are decent to great between them. They go to more than a single read.

Doesn't mean they'd be great, but they'd look the part more than Haskins. It's been since March and he has, quite frankly, shown no improvement. Blame coaching or whoever, but at some point he has to be held accountable.

And he was also putting his head in the huddle in training camp to understand how it worked.  If we want to say hes not doing enough now we have to go back to give him trying everything he could when he got here and basically being ignored.  

This is such BS, we had no plan even though everyone said we needed on, now we gonna throw him under the bus because the frustration is showing?  Part of me doesnt want him to watch Kennum and jus be out there himself, the best he can get from watching Case is seeing what NOT to do, and I said that back in September.

Did he have a first round grade or not?  We haven't done our part to call him a bust, we've done the polar opposite of preventing that from happening.

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

now we gonna throw him under the bus because the frustration is showing? 

This I agree with. We cannot label him as a bust yet. He gets the rest of this year, in my opinion. We don't have much choice. But if he doesn't look astronomically better by the end of week 17, the bust label can be conservatively applied for his time in DC, at least. And it's time to figure out the future.

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We need to know with some certainty one way or another. If he sucks, fine he sucks, we move on like Arizona did and draft someone else. But if we sit him on the bench we actually end up risking wasting more time. You draft a kid at 15, you gotta play him at some point.

I couldn't agree more with warhead here..hell...80% of any other teams that would have drafted him would be playing him already 

1 minute ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

indeed. There is no future until Bruce is gone and Dan is suffering from dementia....

Ding ding ding..and all the folks wanting the skins to lose to better them selves  in the draft..bwwaaaaaa haahahahahahhaha

12 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This I agree with. We cannot label him as a bust yet. He gets the rest of this year, in my opinion. We don't have much choice. But if he doesn't look astronomically better by the end of week 17, the bust label can be conservatively applied for his time in DC, at least. And it's time to figure out the future.

Even if he does get the bust label, theres so much wrong with the offense that another rookie next year will get ruined to.  Haskins would be a cheap alternative to wasting a top 3 pick or trading for another aging veteran.  We've never won a super bowl with an elite QB anyway, and elite QBs dont win super bowls with a solid team around them.  If Haskins is a bust, use him as a gap QB to develop to the rest of team, imo.

The funny thing to me is that Dan Snyder has owned the team 20 years. He could have actually learned some things from actual scouts and actual coaches over all of these years.  Yet by drafting Haskins when he did, with the coach 1/2 out the door who never got to choose any of the QBs other than the backup, he still decided to go with a QB who needs 2-3 years to get ready when everybody else was likely against it.

This clown hides from the public for very good reasons.

And the only time he's actually seen in public he still looks like the 12 year old kid who stole his dad's suit to go out on a date.

It can't possibly get any more ****ed up!

I'm not in the bust camp or even close to it yet. He is a young QB being thrust into a dysfunctional organization with a now-former head coach in Gruden tacitly implying he didn't want. Arm him with the tools he needs to be successful. This is what leaders and coaches are supposed to do. We have serious needs basically everywhere OL, RB, WR, and TE. He needs a mentor and someone he trusts to iron out his wrinkles. While there is likely not ever going to be a perfect situation for him here, I am reserving judgment until he has a better landscape to work in. His arm is special and we do have something to work with. I hope it pans out for everyone's sake.

The problem with holding Haskins out for the rest of the season is it delays knowing the proper path to proceed after this season.  This season is done regardless of which QB starts.  The combo of Case/Colt are not going to turn this season around  At best, they would lead the team to a few random wins, which for all intents & purposes lowers the 1st round pick, doesn't matter in the big picture.

Haskins is not going to win the team any games in 2019.  We have to just deal with that reality. It doesn't mean he will necessarily always look as horrible as he has with his first 20 pass attempts, but I don't think he is going to morph into a good QB within this season.  What we *might* see though, is evidence on film that he is learning, progressing, and showing signs of being able to play in the NFL.  What it also *might* show is that it isn't going to work out and that the front office definitely needs to look at drafting a QB with a Top 5 pick. (assuming one is there).

Basically what I am trying to say is, the front office needs to know for sure by the end of this season what Haskins's potential is going forward. 

This kid sucks. He had a playground season last year throwing it all over the place. Looked good on film but this is the NFL. It’s a different animal. I don’t think he’s very bright and the really good QBs are smart or really athletic (or both). Go ahead and play him. He’s gonna prove he’s a bust.

It would be better to see him play through the season to expose his flaws rather than putting him in cold storage to avoid displaying any deceptively promising moments. Cooley prior to the draft pointed out a number of red flags with Haskins, particularly how bad his accuracy was when he was even slightly rushed and didn't get his feet set. Let him flounder against top defenses left on our schedule so we can justify moving on with the top 3 pick.

49 minutes ago, Doctorfro said:

This kid sucks. He had a playground season last year throwing it all over the place. Looked good on film but this is the NFL. It’s a different animal. I don’t think he’s very bright and the really good QBs are smart or really athletic (or both). Go ahead and play him. He’s gonna prove he’s a bust.

Thats fine. He's a bust, he'll suck, we'll tank to a top 2-3 pick, and we can get another QB or a stud like Jerry Jeudy or Chase Young.

What do we have to gain playing Keenum or McCoy? So we can salvage a 4-12 season instead of 2-14?

Archived