Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

33 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think one thing we forget is that this is Haskins's fifth start (I think that's right). Last year, was basically a wasted year and so the kid we drafted as a super-raw rookie QB prospect is still basically a rookie prospect.

Would like to see him clean up his mechanics and figure out his accuracy issues.

Eighth start...he's 3-5 as a starter. 85.1 QB rating.

39 minutes ago, Tedskins 21 said:

He can certainly throw the ball, but I am not convinced he can pass it. People talk about separation, but you turn on other games and you see bang bang completions all day long.  You don't need receivers to be 5 yards or even a full yard away from the nearest defender to complete a pass.  

Hope he proves me wrong next week.  

You are over exaggerating. You dont see bang bang plays all day long in any game, almost ever. The closest you got was the Jags this week if I judge off of statistics but even then I didnt watch that game or see those throws. Its fine to be critical of the dude. There is much to criticize. But the silly unrealistic hyperboles dont help anyone. Easy example is The GOAT on a new team with no offseason to prepare was making similar misses as our almost rookie with like 20 sumthing actual games under bis belt total. Its not easy to make these throws in the NFL and hes not the only one who struggles with them. 

I say all that knowing he has a lot to work on. But lets be serious in our criticisms.  

Bears fans still debate whether or not Trubisky is any good & nobody knows if Baker Mayfield is atrocious, awesome, or average; we need to protect him and let the game continue to slow down for him throughout the year. One year starting in college, last years dysfunctional year of Gruden, and now no offseason with a new staff — tough conditions to develop within. He’s got some bad mechanical habits that he’s working on just as he had some emotional crutches he used to fall on that he has invested in improving. 

3 hours ago, -JB- said:

The “new offense” excuse is tired.  He consistently misses targets down the field.

How tired could it be, he’s now had one start in the new offense. It’s incredibly difficult for most QBs when there is a change to their QB coach and/or OC. 

The tv angle makes it tough to see everything but I only remember 3 poorly thrown balls.  The rollout on 1st down to Terry and the overthrow near the end zone were the 2 that stood out, there were some low balls but the WR's weren't really open and I think Dwayne was being cautious which I'm fine with.

I think the kids a gamer who somehow grinds out results.  He barely has any weapons but when a play has to be made he's finding ways.

2 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The tv angle makes it tough to see everything but I only remember 3 poorly thrown balls.  The rollout on 1st down to Terry and the overthrow near the end zone were the 2 that stood out, there were some low balls but the WR's weren't really open and I think Dwayne was being cautious which I'm fine with.

I think the kids a gamer who somehow grinds out results.  He barely has any weapons but when a play has to be made he's finding ways.

Rule #1 for every QB:

End each possession with a kick.

Haskins:

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If you are looking for that moment, it might have come yesterday.  I think you might be looking for a dominant game, like a 400 yard, 4 touchdown performance, or some amazing clutch throw to win a game but, IMO, what separates the really good ones from the rest is finding a way to win when you don't have your best stuff.  I don't think Haskins had his best stuff yesterday, certainly not in the first half.  He stepped it up in the 2nd half, he completed more passes and, most importantly, he didn't turn the ball over.  

Like I said, he didn't have his best stuff but he still found a way to win a game.  And also, he was playing behind a poor O-line, too.  IMO, that's just as impressive as a big performance with gaudy stats and a line that can give him all day to throw.

The defense won that game for us.  Obviously that has to be the recipe to win this season because Haskins just does not look good back there.  He doesn’t have good command in the pocket and I can’t trust that he will make throws downfield in tight coverage.  Very shaky.  Honestly, I’d expect Kyle Allen to have virtually the same impact on the offense as Haskins.

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

The defense won that game for us.  Obviously that has to be the recipe to win this season because Haskins just does not look good back there.  He doesn’t have good command in the pocket and I can’t trust that he will make throws downfield in tight coverage.  Very shaky.  Honestly, I’d expect Kyle Allen to have virtually the same impact on the offense as Haskins.

I think you're being a little unfair. 

It's a team game, one side doesn't typically win without the other.  The defense put on a show yesterday after the Eagles scored 17 points.  But the team doesn't win the game unless the offense can score.  Haskins wasn't amazing but he was effective enough to get a win.  And he looked better as the game went on.  Let's keep in mind that he didn't have any preseason games to work with.

Now if he's still like this in 3 months from now, yeah, it's probably not great.  

9 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Today Kyle might, but coaches are paid to develop talent, and Haskins has more of it. The coaching staff took this job quickly; after losing to a team led by DH, they liked what they saw & believed they could develop him. This staff could have easily brought in Cam & they had the freedom to bring in Tua — they like DH & it says quite a bit that they came here & passed on those two. This is their livelihood, they’re more serious about who is running the team than anyone is, and they elected to build around DH. That’s should say quite a bit, it certainly says a lot to me, I know exactly how much a QB is tied to the success of the coach. 

We need to accept that this offense isn’t trying to take “the next step”, this offense is in its infancy, we are taking our first step. We have the worst combination of OL/WR/RB & TE in the league, we are the envy of no QB, we should enjoy analyzing the ups & downs of DH while not losing sight of all the circumstances his performances are played within.

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

We need to accept that this offense isn’t trying to take “the next step”, this offense is in its infancy, we are taking our first step. We have the worst combination of OL/WR/RB & TE in the league, we are the envy of no QB,

Exaggeration.

And this horrible offense (that I am in no way glorifying) put up 27 points without any defensive touchdowns.  There were 14 teams that couldn’t put up 27 points in week one.  And there are a few teams that haven’t played yet.

4 hours ago, -JB- said:

The “new offense” excuse is tired.  He consistently misses targets down the field.

Like the completion to Simms that set up one TD, or the clutch throw to Thomas? 

He missed a couple of throws early - but the whole team was shaky early. The only really bad throw I can recall was one he bounced into Inman on a dig when he had time and just did not step into the throw even though he had space to do so.

The Eagles decided to take away McLaurin down the field and we don't really have anyone else who can threaten teams. Simms only had 3 catches and has not really shown he can consistently challenge teams vertically. So the passing game had to be safe - take what they give you. After the shaky start that's exactly what Haskins did. He made the plays he had to, protected the ball and we manufactured points off turnovers. We only really tried to take shots a couple of times and Terry was drawing coverage so Haskins had to check down. 

It was actually a very Alex Smith like performance. Not GREAT, maybe not even good - but enough to win in a game your defense plays well (after the first quarter). That will not be enough every week or even most weeks. But until we get better weapons around Haskins and he gets more comfortable in this new system it might well be the blueprint for how we can win.

I think people are gonna see what they want to see in DH's performance last night.  Except for the outliers that say he was great or terrible yesterday, which anyone with two eyes can see were not appropriate adjectives.  To me, Im a middle road kinda guy, I saw some things he needs to work on, I saw some things we can build off of. 

Most of all, I think we should temper our expectations this year.  The bottom line is, we have a bad offensive line, and a young QB that realizes he has a bad offensive line.  This could easily be disaster, most times that ends up in lots of sacks and lots of INT's.  So the good news is, he doesnt have the deer-in-headlights issue, though clearly his accuracy suffered.  Most older QB's turn in to Captain Checkdown, when they realize they have a bad offensive line and only 1 playmaker to throw to.  If DH matures, this is what he will turn into --  an Alex Smith type QB, until we can fix the OL issues. 

Id look for the statline to increase his completion %, but I doubt he'll reach much more than 200 yards most games.  And thats if he's successful.  If you think he's gonna be stacking 300yd games with this offense, as someone said earlier, go ahead and prepare his HOF bust.  

6 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Exaggeration.

And this horrible offense (that I am in no way glorifying) put up 27 points without any defensive touchdowns.  There were 14 teams that couldn’t put up 27 points in week one.  And there are a few teams that haven’t played yet.

On short fields created by turnovers. We didn't have a scoring drive over 50 yards.

We don't have a threat (or even someone who can reliably take advantage of intermediate routes as Terry clears out going vertical) at WR outside opposite McLaurin, Thomas would be a good number 2 TE but he's our #1. Our 3rd down back yesterday had -1 yard of production (he was targeted 5 times in the passing game for 1 catch for 1 yard). The left side of the line was bad early in but got somewhat better as the game went on. 

Haskins has to continue to improve - but he has one of the worst supporting casts in the league.

2 hours ago, MartinC said:

Like the completion to Simms that set up one TD, or the clutch throw to Thomas? 

He missed a couple of throws early - but the whole team was shaky early. The only really bad throw I can recall was one he bounced into Inman on a dig when he had time and just did not step into the throw even though he had space to do so.

The Eagles decided to take away McLaurin down the field and we don't really have anyone else who can threaten teams. Simms only had 3 catches and has not really shown he can consistently challenge teams vertically. So the passing game had to be safe - take what they give you. After the shaky start that's exactly what Haskins did. He made the plays he had to, protected the ball and we manufactured points off turnovers. We only really tried to take shots a couple of times and Terry was drawing coverage so Haskins had to check down. 

It was actually a very Alex Smith like performance. Not GREAT, maybe not even good - but enough to win in a game your defense plays well (after the first quarter). That will not be enough every week or even most weeks. But until we get better weapons around Haskins and he gets more comfortable in this new system it might well be the blueprint for how we can win.

In retrospect it seems that the Eagles d-coaches looked at us and essentially said McLaurin is the one guy they’re worried about.

They put Slay, their best corner on him, all over the field and had a safety slide deep to his side so the corner could play tight. They had the whole off season to come up with this strategy as this was the first game of the season. It worked the first half then our coaches made adjustments and Dwayne got into a groove.

The big thing is that most teams don’t have a corne talented enoughr to chase McLaurin wherever he lined up and with only a week to prepare its difficult to change your entire defensive scheme.

I expect scary Terry and by extension Dwayne to fare better in coming weeks assuming the o line can give Haskins time to find him.

1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

there were some low balls but the WR's weren't really open and I think Dwayne was being cautious which I'm fine with.

I'm surprised others don't like this strategy.  It removes the chance of an interception and puts the ball into tough catch territory for the WR/TE.  It's spots where only the WR/TE can make a play, and not the defender.

But a fair amount of people seem to want Dwayne to throw more 50/50 balls.  

Also want to say the media is still talking about Dwayne's accuracy issues, but there's no mention of Wentz's accuracy issues in the same game.  His first interception to Moreau was simply awful ball placement.  Wentz's TE's, by-and-large, made awkward catches to bail out bad throws from Wentz.  Numerous overthrows and misses, but the narrative is that Wentz was at fault for only holding the ball too long, and the blame is generally shifted towards his offensive line.

Check out the simple lateral throw to Gibson at 1:45 here. 

-----------------------------------------

I hope this continues, cause he struggled a lot with his ball placement on this last season.  But that's a perfect in-stride throw to a RB.

24 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

Exaggeration.

Name 3 worse

Geron Christian was the worst rated T by PFF in Week 1.  Wes Martin was the 2nd worst rated G.  Chase Roullier was the 2nd worst rated C.

There are still two games to go, but I don't expect their rankings to change much.

This is... concerning, to say the least.  God speed Dwayne.

42 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Also want to say the media is still talking about Dwayne's accuracy issues, but there's no mention of Wentz's accuracy issues in the same game.  His first interception to Moreau was simply awful ball placement.  Wentz's TE's, by-and-large, made awkward catches to bail out bad throws from Wentz.  Numerous overthrows and misses, but the narrative is that Wentz was at fault for only holding the ball too long, and the blame is generally shifted towards his offensive line.

Wentz is the 2nd worst rated QB so far in Week 1, per PFF.  Dwayne is 3rd worst.

2 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Geron Christian was the worst rated T by PFF in Week 1.  Wes Martin was the 2nd worst rated G.  Chase Roullier was the 2nd worst rated C.

There are still two games to go, but I don't expect their rankings to change much.

I didn't see the major issues with Roullier that I saw with others, but I'll also say I didn't like some of what Scherff did either.  Wasn't the best OL performance across the board.

Malik Jackson has a violent punch and Martin kept trying to passively engage him.  I'm hoping the Cardinals don't have the aggressive defensive tackles that the Eagles do.  I think Martin needs a confidence booster after that game.

Essentially we can hope to be the 49ers with Jimmy Garoppolo.  If Haskins can protect the football and not dagger us with bonehead plays maybe he can make enough throws to control games because the defense is very stout. (Haskins just can’t only complete 55% of his throws and expect a long career as a starting QB.). Look how much that defense in San Fran took a step forward with Bosa added to the mix.  We can hopefully reap those same benefits with Chase Young.  He was making plays and opening up things for the rest of the DLine. (Skins & 9ers DLines have what 5 first rounders each?) I mean they made the SB a year after going 4-12 anything is possible!

37 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Name 3 worse

Im not high balling or lowballing, you should name three worse.  I’m not well schooled enough on all the rest of the teams in the league.  Off the top of my head I’d say the Dolphins are worse, and possibly the Bengals.  But I challenge you, because I’m not ready to draw conclusions on a whole new offense with new pieces on a young team.

7 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Doc Walker said Geron played well only getting beat once on a pass rush. Doc must have been hitting the Chivas Regal hard after the victory. lol

Archived