Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

39 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I wonder if we don’t split Thompson out a bit more, he’s a problem no one wants 1 v 1. 

Sounds good to me. 

I think his recent injuries has me wanting him more used exclusively in space. Running CT has been Jay's most consistent deception attempt on offense (honorable mention: running with Jordan Reed in the game, or passing with Sprinkle in).  While CTs injuries haven't been clearly caused by a heavy up the gut workload, running him into a brick wall is not his strength. So it kind of takes away from the deception running CT creates.

I still think Jordan Reed is best used out wide. While he has cut back on his holding penalties, i have heard Cooley (or others) say defenses see him in to block and know they can run right by him, which is close to an unblocked man. And that they base the defensive approach on that key.

I am very interested to see the hands on Guice and Love.  The ultimate deception tool is an all down back.

1 hour ago, bakedtater1 said:

Got a feeling will be wishing we would have hung on to crowder..

Yeah the irony of that to me is Crowder among the receivers we had last year was the most tailored made to Haskins skill set.  He catches a lot of balls in between the numbers and is elusive in open space.   Once they drafted Haskins, i actually was hankering for Parris Campbell.    I like McLaurin and Harmon but i don't see either guy as mega elusive in open space.  Maybe Harmon can play a big slot role and do YAC.   No doubt Haskins is the master of running mesh concepts -- typically two shallow digs that cross over.  but do we have the guys who can literally take those balls and run. 

45 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I wonder if we don’t split Thompson out a bit more, he’s a problem no one wants 1 v 1. 

That's a good point I can see that.

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

My concern is how much quickness and speed has Thompson lost? I remember being surprised how often he was run down last season. The injuries may have sapped his speed. Hopefully, a healthy offseason brings him back.

Louis Reddick who has had a massive man crush for Haskins for months -- interestingly doesn't think they should play Haskins right  away, seems to suggest waiting for a year.  More or less said they have screwed up the QB before -- learn from those mistakes.  Wait until Haskins is ready.  He doesn't love the supporting cast that he'd play with -- seems to suggest wait until next year when they can upgrade at receiver.

4 hours ago, volsmet said:

I haven't really watched him intently when he's split out wide. Does he run good routes? I know he's shifty when he gets the ball in his hands but if he's split out he needs to be able to run accurate routes.

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Louis Reddick who has had a massive man crush for Haskins for months -- interestingly doesn't think they should play Haskins right  away, seems to suggest waiting for a year.  More or less said they have screwed up the QB before -- learn from those mistakes.  Wait until Haskins is ready.  He doesn't love the supporting cast that he'd play with -- seems to suggest wait until next year when they can upgrade at receiver.

Wholeheartedly agree with Riddick.

16 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He doesn't love the supporting cast that he'd play with -- seems to suggest wait until next year when they can upgrade at receiver.

Will be very interesting to see what we get from this years WR group. Complete unknown in terms of what production we are going to get, although I am fairly optimistic we have a good crop of young players. Next year I could see a short term solution brought in like AJ Green. 

I would put money on Diggs ending up a Redskin, but that may well be 2 seasons away minimum. I do honestly think he'll be here at some stage though.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Will be very interesting to see what we get from this years WR group. Complete unknown in terms of what production we are going to get, although I am fairly optimistic we have a good crop of young players. Next year I could see a short term solution brought in like AJ Green. 

I would put money on Diggs ending up a Redskin, but that may well be 2 seasons away minimum. I do honestly think he'll be here at some stage though.

I like McLaurin and Harmon a lot but WR is one of the hardest position to hit the ground running fast.  Neither guy though I associate with the quick passing game.  They seem more vertical guys than horizontal.  Ditto Doctson and Richardson.   Quinn would fit the bill though.  Not saying Haskins can't do it vertically but his comfort zone might be the short game -- more horizontal.   

As Volsmet mentioned I can see maybe Thompson split out wide, he prides himself on being a good route runner for a RB.  Guice has good hands.   Cooley mentioned going heavy play action.  They do have the horses to make the running game his friend.   Jordan Reed has some horizontal to his game if he can stay healthy. 

Yeah as was mentioned here, Crowder I think would have been the perfect type of weapon for Haskins ironically.

40 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I haven't really watched him intently when he's split out wide. Does he run good routes? I know he's shifty when he gets the ball in his hands but if he's split out he needs to be able to run accurate routes.

He sets up guys pretty well, he’s got a great feel for the field, he catches it naturally, he wouldn’t have much problem I don’t imagine, but that assumption could be incorrect of course.

What a disaster of a play this was, it doesn’t show the route but at least it shows atrocious communication.

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There will probably be an open competition at QB in camp.  Whoever wins it should start.  Full stop.

At what point does the competition end?  For the purpose of winning games starting Week 1 (tough schedule, I know, but still) it could be two things.  1) competition goes throughout pre-season to ensure the most ready guy is the starter, and 2) competition should end far earlier as that QB then has the most reps with the starting offense.

49 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

At what point does the competition end?  For the purpose of winning games starting Week 1 (tough schedule, I know, but still) it could be two things.  1) competition goes throughout pre-season to ensure the most ready guy is the starter, and 2) competition should end far earlier as that QB then has the most reps with the starting offense. 

Preseason games would probably be one of the best tools for the coaches to evaluate where the different QBs are.  If it's close in camp, I would imagine that the QBs who looked best will get meaningful snaps during the preseason games.

Just rewatched most of the opener versus the Cards, Thompson lined up wide some.  On this one below it was just a screen but I bet he can run a shallow crosser, hitch, slant, etc.

56 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

if Colt is healthy he'll have a broken leg up on the competition.  Good luck trying to get 3 guys reps during the preseason, especially when 2 of them are new to the playbook.

that was something Jay opined about before the draft which is its tough enough to divvy reps upon two QBs, so three would be difficult and in his view practice reps mean everything.  So yeah it should be interesting to see how they divvy it up.  The few days I saw in training camp years back, Kirk got the lions share of reps with the 1's. 

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Seems like a weird coincidence that Haskins and Harmon were doin drills together in that pre-draft video.

Haskins and Harmon apparently knew each other back to 7 on 7 in high school. They did pre combine work together, and they also trained in California together pre draft. Haskins got 2 WRs he's already worked with..

13 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Preseason games would probably be one of the best tools for the coaches to evaluate where the different QBs are.  If it's close in camp, I would imagine that the QBs who looked best will get meaningful snaps during the preseason games.

To add:

The Redskins shouldn't call plays that make it "easy" for any of the QBs. They should challenge them. Call plays that each QB needs help with. Challenge them with concepts and reads that are daunting. Let the QBs all know, "we are setting you up to fail in preseason so you will succeed in the regular season." And then do it.

But I think I would break the mold of the way teams treat preseason anyways. My "starters" don't necessarily start. I use my whole roster whenever I want (with guys I limit their total reps for, likely all the projected starters) so I can get a look how things jive. I don't care if my projected starter is going against a 4th string DB. I'm not looking to evaluate them in that way. I want to see how they execute. Who jives with who. Who has a firm understanding of the play book. 

Especially in the early preseason games. And as we get to the third/fourth game my depth chart would start to become more apparent and more "traditional".

I want to see the Skins struggle a little in preseason. I want them to be challenged.

Haskins HAS to be challenged. Keenum HAS to be challenged. McCoy HAS to be challenged. Whoever has the best overall grasp on the total picture as a quarterback in the Redskin system starts at QB. Period.

Thompson at WR

We've been saying this for years. It hasn't happened yet. I'm curious as to why. AP + Thompson together on the field last year would have been a great personnel grouping. Especially with Reed at TE. It allows us to attack the flats and intermediate areas, have a run threat, and lets a healthy Richardson draw deep coverage. 

There has to be more as to why he hasn't been used in that role.

Thompson + Bibbs last year would have been flat out devastating to defenses. Both CAN run, both can gamebreak you with YAC. Then you still have to account for Richardson's speed, Doctson's intermediate routes (which he has gotten better at) and Jordan Reed/Vernon Davis.

I'd add Haskins needs some reps in preseason.  I am stating the obvious but it seems like we keep the projected starter at QB in relative bubble wrap in the preseason -- more so than the typical team.  That was part of the narrative last year about why do they tend to lose game 1 which is are the starters prepared to start the season.    Granted one thing might have nothing to with the other -- but plenty of winning teams tend to give their QBs a decent number of reps in the preseason.  

18 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Wholeheartedly agree with Riddick.

Yeah, I dont see the point in playing him this year.  The Oline we know is injury prone and because of that suspect.  Haskins is a 1 year college starter.  Case Keenum has proven himself capable of being an average player at the position. 

Sure, maybe if Haskins had been a 4 year starter in college you could justify throwing him in in year 1, but he wasnt.  Hes as inexperienced as a 1st round QB can be, so a year on the bench, learning, watching, and practicing will be more valuable than for your average rookie QB.

Archived