Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

1 hour ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

wow, now the bar is moving.  now, 2nd round????????   But but but but but the league done wrong when he wasnt drafted 6th overall.  I was told by those football geniuses Mike Greenberg, Stephen A Smith, and Max Kellerman that (a) Daniel Jones is a joke and (B) Haskins is the greatest QB ever, "look at his stats" they kept saying.   So I did.  I DID look at his stats.  Then I watched HOW he got those stats.  And I learned the truth: he's a fraud.  And if *YOU* didnt see the OBVIOUS red flag from the beginning then what are you doing wrong?   That red flag is nobody wanted him until DAN SNYDER wanted him 15th overall.  his OWN TEAM didnt want him in the 1st round.  

The bar isn’t moving I’m merely lowering it to combat your naivety. I would bet anything that if the draft could be redone he’d at worst go in the lower first. I truly doubt every team passes him up 4 times and he falls into the fifth. Believe it or not, these front office evaluators have access to more than YouTube and have a larger picture. There was clearly interest in Haskins from other teams besides just us. Ultimately, it’s too early to tell about Haskins but he wasn’t put in the position to succeed which is on the coaching staff. Their job as coaches and leaders is to set their team up for success.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

There was no more harsh critic of Haskins than I, but he’s got plenty of talent to work with, he’s a great guy, and he works as hard as anyone. What’s the point of criticizing to the extent you’ve chosen to today? 

I'd echo that.  I wasn't as tough as you about him but i wasn't a mile behind either on that front.   But Haskins seems like a good guy, works hard and has some really good tools to work with.  Let's give the kid a break and give him a chance.  

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd echo that.  I wasn't as tough as you but i wasn't a mile behind either.   But Haskins seems like a good guy, works hard and has some really good tools to work with.  Lets give the kid a break and give him a chance.  

I’m not happy to admit that I didn’t watch most of Haskins play.  I turned at halftime, because I had a feeling it would get worse.  My attention was fleeting anyway because Terry McLaurin wasn’t playing.  But when I heard about the three turnovers, yikes.  Then I have to keep reminding myself he played just 1 year of college.

2 minutes ago, REDSKINS STOMP said:

Haskins was put into a tough spot today? He was up against the 32 ranked pass defense in the league.  If today was a bad spot for him, I got bad news. He is going to get put in even worse spots.

His most explosive weapon recently attended his grandchild’s 21st birthday party. 

4 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I’m not happy to admit that I didn’t watch most of Haskins play.  I turned at halftime, because I had a feeling it would get worse.  My attention was fleeting anyway because Terry McLaurin wasn’t playing.  But when I heard about the three turnovers, yikes.  Then I have to keep reminding myself he played just 1 year of college.

7 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

I’m not happy to admit that I didn’t watch most of Haskins play.  I turned at halftime, because I had a feeling it would get worse.  My attention was fleeting anyway because Terry McLaurin wasn’t playing.  But when I heard about the three turnovers, yikes.

One of them was really bad.  The other one was a 50-50 kind of ball that our receiver lost the fight on -- it could have been thrown better.  The last interception went right through the receivers hands. 

But regardless, he was playing with 3 backups on the O line, no McLaurun, no run game.  He didn't get many practice reps during the week.  It was a tough environment for him to come in.  But I am not one and done for any rookie -- QB or any position.  

Just now, method man said:

Hated the pick at the time and I still hate it. We have a chance at Tua and Herbert and are going to pass on both because we already took this guy, who will likely have a career as a journeyman backup. His upside is average starter at QB. Ugh

Oregon would be undefeated if they had Haskins.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

One of them was really bad.  The other one was a 50-50 kind of ball that our receiver lost the fight on -- it could have been thrown better.  The last interception went right through the receivers hands. 

But regardless, he was playing with 3 backups on the O line, no McLaurun, no run game.  He didn't get many practice reps during the week.  It was a tough environment for him to come in.  But I am not one and done for any rookie -- QB or any position.  

He had a couple bad ones, the under thrown ball to Thompson should have been picked, then the timing with grandpa was off, but the read was right and that’s all that matters there. He has mechanical issues that show up over and over, he gets out of sync and it’s going to take time to straighten it out, but once he gets there, the accuracy will improve & he’ll always be able to make the special throws that only a couple guys can. Aaron Rodgers was a mechanical disaster coming out of Cal, he proved worth the wait. 

@volsmet

Thank you for that.  Wtf is wrong with our talent evaluation?  Kelvin Harmon needs to play.  What are they looking at in practice?

I’ve had it with Gruden’s alleged sabotage of Peterson, neglect of Haskins (i was told Jay didn’t want to draft him from a reliable source), and poor play calling.  Im done.

Just now, Vanguard said:

@volsmet

Thank you for that.  Wtf is wrong with our talent evaluation?  Kelvin Harmon needs to play.  What are they looking at in practice?

I’ve had it with Gruden’s alleged sabotage of Peterson, neglect of Haskins (i was told Jay didn’t want to draft him from a reliable source), and poor play calling.  Im done.

Harmon showed us today why he was a 6th round pick. The guy can’t separate at this level consistently. Keep him but think of him more as a backup WR / STer like Niles Paul longer term.

1 minute ago, skins2victory said:

@volsmet I remember pre draft I was calling for us to draft Minshew as a mid round pick. I remember you calling Minshew a terrible prospect, that would have no chance in the NFL. Minshew just lead the Jag's on a game winning TD drive to put them at 2-2. I'd rather have Minshew than Haskins.

Minshew is atrocious. He got away with two attempted turnovers on that drive alone. 

6 minutes ago, volsmet said:

then the timing with grandpa was off, 

I commented on this in the summer -- Haskins oddly struggled in camp with short out routes.  The pass he missed to Davis was the type he struggled with in camp.  I mentioned it back then on this thread about his accuracy being sketchy on short out route type throws in the flat.   

He excels from what I saw with throws in between the numbers -- slants, shallow crosses, etc.   I am not saying he can't improve on the other type of throws but his struggles with that throw were glaring to me in camp -- I think he needs more work on it from what I saw. 

19 minutes ago, REDSKINS STOMP said:

Haskins was put into a tough spot today? He was up against the 32 ranked pass defense in the league.  If today was a bad spot for him, I got bad news. He is going to get put in even worse spots.

It wasn’t exactly a regular ‘face the 31st ranked defense’ for a variety of reasons. He didn’t practice with the starters or receive the first team weekly gameplan install reps. He was then tossed in mid-game down 2 scores on the road. He was also playing without half of the regular starting o-line, and without the offense’s best playmaker. 

This is not the way a smart team gives a rookie their first start, but then, we are not a smart team. 

He’ll take his lumps, but with proper preparation, reps, and availability of a supporting cast, he’s going to get much better. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I commented on this in the summer -- Haskins oddly struggled in camp with short out routes.  The pass he missed to Davis was the type he struggled with in camp.  I mentioned it back then on this thread about his accuracy being sketchy on short out route type throws in the flat.   

He excels from what I saw with throws in between the numbers -- slants, shallow crosses, etc.   I am not saying he can't improve on the other type of throws but his struggles with that throw were glaring to me in camp -- I think he needs more work on it from what I saw. 

He struggles getting his hips in position to the sidelines, his arm comes through too quickly at times, he steps wide at times, he throws it more like a dart at times, it’s just not as natural... particularly when it’s shallow, the more he needs to turn his hips the more he struggles with right now. In practice he drills those things all day, he can test parts of the field that only Rodgers & Mahomes can. 

1 minute ago, skins2victory said:

So far....

Minshew 5 TD's - 1 Pick. 

2-2

Haskins

Has only played the garbage Giants. 3 picks - 0 TD's

Looked lost. 0-1

I didn’t want either. Minshew has zero chance to become a good pro, I’m not interested in drafting a possible backup. 

3 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Hope he has a work ethic like Tom Brady so he can get better during the off season.

No one will be disappointed by his work ethic. 

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

He struggles getting his hips in position to the sidelines, his arm comes through too quickly at times, he steps wide at times, he throws it more like a dart at times, it’s just not as natural... particularly when it’s shallow, the more he needs to turn his hips the more he struggles with right now. In practice he drills those things all day, he can test parts of the field that only Rodgers & Mahomes can. 

Interesting.   I wasn't studying his body position/motion on those throws but I saw a heck of a lot of them because in camp there were working some plays repetitively.  One of those plays was sort of a quick out route in the flat, alternating the yardage give or take in the 5-8 yard range.  And I watched all three QBs throw them back to back.  Colt was the best on that particular throw.  He had good touch on it but little zip but he did throw it accurately and his balls led the receiver so it set up YAC well.  Keenum was on and off with it, mostly on but his throws didn't lead the receiver as much as Colt.   Haskins would throw a bunch of them wild and out of reach from the receiver (just like that throw today to Davis) and when he'd connect, the receiver often had to turn back to catch the ball.

Haskins was good on other type of throws.  But he really struggled with throwing balls to the flat in the 5 practices I watched.  I didn't notice any beat guy mention the same observation so I wondered if it was just me but then a QB coach who knows Haskins who was interviewed on NBC Washington made a similar point. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting.   I wasn't studying his body position/motion on those throws but I saw a heck of a lot of them because in camp there were working some plays repetitively.  One of those plays was sort of a quick out route in the flat, alternating the yardage give or take in the 5-8 yard range.  And I watched all three QBs throw them back to back.  Colt was the best on that particular throw.  He had good touch on it but little zip but he did throw it accurately and his balls led the receiver so it set up YAC well.  Keenum was on and off with it, mostly on but his throws didn't lead the receiver as much as Colt.   Haskins would throw a bunch of them wild and out of reach from the receiver (just like that throw today to Davis) and when he'd connect, the receiver often had to turn back to catch the ball.

Haskins was good on other type of throws.  But he really struggled with throwing balls to the flat in the 5 practices I watched.  I didn't notice any beat guy mention the same observation so I wondered if it was just me but then a QB coach who knows Haskins who was interviewed on NBC Washington made a similar point. 

The velocity & location become more varied on those throws, the fact that it’s not natural for him seems to get to his head a bit & he guides the ball, at times, rather than letting it rip. He struggled with a couple of those at the end of the preseason game v Baltimore. 

4 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just saw this post from Rich Eisen ---

"the (Redskins) coaching staff never was on board with the selection (of Dwayne Haskins)... there is a riff between the front office, who wants him to play, and the coaching staff."

The front office traded back up to get the guy the staff wanted though. 

23 minutes ago, volsmet said:

His most explosive weapon recently attended his grandchild’s 21st birthday party. 

I spent the weekend with the in-laws and fortunately didn't get to waste my time watching this game.....but watching this clip makes me feel much more positive about this outing.

Haskins has some tools.  He's a gun slinger and he can throw it from all types of angles.  I would play him the rest of the way.  The interceptions he had were not bad ones.  The Sprinkle pass was not very good but he was pressured in the pocket and didnt' get much help from Sprinkle in regards to separation.

The Vernon Davis pass at the end was more so on Vernon.  Haskins took his 3 step drop and let the ball go...Vernon was loafing on his route....finally the deep ball to Richardson was an out and up and Richardson got zero separation. 

Overall I saw a guy who is mobile, can throw it on the run, plays with confidence and he's only going to get better.  

35 minutes ago, method man said:

Hated the pick at the time and I still hate it. We have a chance at Tua and Herbert and are going to pass on both because we already took this guy, who will likely have a career as a journeyman backup. His upside is average starter at QB. Ugh

If they bring in a new coach and he wants Tua they could always do like Arizona and draft their guy and trade the guy they don’t need anymore 🤷‍♂️

Archived