Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 8/15/2019 at 8:19 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

The irony for me is the last time we played Miami in Miami (I was there) the Dolphins weren't that good.  But Rex did his INT thing and we lost. 

Ha!  I was at that game, too. I drove down from Jacksonville hoping for a wooping and it was us that got wooped. But your response above is spot on with respect to our O-Line. I think a Case would be a bit better at avoiding pressure, staying injury free. With Colt out, hopefully Case gets better with the increased reps. 

7 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

If Haskins does good with the 1s in preseason and Case and Colt are only better based on experience get Dwayne in sooner than later

This is my beef with Gruden in that, so far, this appears to have only been a competition between Colt and Case. I’m all for being patient with Haskins but how can you (Gruden) tell me it’s a three-way competition when I have yet to see Haskins with the 1’s yet during the pre-season games. Hopefully, tonight, we can see a series or two with Haskins and the 1’s. 

Given Haskins is unlikely to start the season, I would have named him the starter this week. That way the presumptive starter could start week three in the tune-up game and Haskins would still get a chance to get reps in "game" situations against a "starting" NFL defense.

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Given Haskins is unlikely to start the season, I would have named him the starter this week. That way the presumptive starter could start week three in the tune-up game and Haskins would still get a chance to get reps in "game" situations against a "starting" NFL defense.

That makes too much sense, which is why it won’t happen. Your approach involves forward thinking and that’s not a skill possessed in this organization.

Just now, HigSkin said:

Hmmmm....

Cooley is never right, lol.

He'll start but not by week 3...Odds are he will start when the season is in the tank.  Means something along the lines of 6 losses.  Guessing after the Pats game and close to the bye week if not the week after so he can prepare for the second half of the season.  The only outlier is the chance that Case over performs (which would be a huge surprise to many).  Case is a gunslinger though and if the ball flies into the right hands, anything can happen.  

4 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Your oline has to protect longer as well. With our oline, that isn't a given. I expect multiple times this year that the qb is going to get crushed exiting the playaction. 

Undoubtedly - its an issue, it’s far more complicated for the QB & it requires more from the guys around you. I’m just talking about it’s virtues, for what Jay likes - but the issues are profound when the OL isn’t sound. It’s tough to get comfortable, as a rookie (or young vet), when you can’t actually throw the ball until you’ve dropped back, made a fake, and can then turn around to see a bunch of insanely gifted athletes running 4.4s in your windows while 6-5 280lb guys running 4.6s are coming to crush you. No thanks.

Jay tries to open windows with his triangles in the middle of the field - it requires more from an OL than he’s been able to work with & he seems stubborn with his philosophies ... as all coaches are. If you do lose your job, and they all do eventually, you want it to be with something you truly believe in. 

If you know you have weaknesses on your OL, then so does everyone else.  You can scheme that to your advantage.  Example would be run first and play action, with some RPOs. 

With a guy like Case, he'll be able to get out of some bad plays where he sees the defensive alignments don't match up with the play call.  A nice audible is being able to move into a screen when they're overloading to your weak side. RB's can kill that, so it's going to come down to the coach and Offensive Play Calling with the ability of the QB to get out of bad plays.  

What would Bill B do?  He has LT problems and I'm sure he'll find a way to get over it.  Word is that they'll be running more like they did when they first won the SB.  

2 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

I would be interested to see Tribs numbers throwing left from gun vs under center.

I have long theorized it is very difficult for a traditional right hand drop back passer to see/throw to the left side of the field because his body is facing the right sideline as he backs away from A gap intruders. It's not rocket science but I assume coaches consider these things. Yeah they need to keep defenses honest blah blah but when the game is on the line with 1 throw needed to seal the game, go to the strength of the QB.

A lot of young, rh, QBs are better throwing to the left because they pitched & played SS in HS/travel... which is far more like throwing left than right.

5 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

If you know you have weaknesses on your OL, then so does everyone else.  You can scheme that to your advantage.  Example would be run first and play action, with some RPOs. 

With a guy like Case, he'll be able to get out of some bad plays where he sees the defensive alignments don't match up with the play call.  A nice audible is being able to move into a screen when they're overloading to your weak side. RB's can kill that, so it's going to come down to the coach and Offensive Play Calling with the ability of the QB to get out of bad plays.  

What would Bill B do?  He has LT problems and I'm sure he'll find a way to get over it.  Word is that they'll be running more like they did when they first won the SB.  

It would be nice to have a big butt kicking blocking TE like Gronk. 

*Snyder will probably try to entice Gronk out of retirement a year from now. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

A lot of young, rh, QBs are better throwing to the left because they pitched & played SS in HS/travel... which is far more like throwing left than right.

It would be nice to have a big butt kicking blocking TE like Gronk. 

They don't now. He retired.  But I hear that.  Kinda the issue with the more recent play calling history as everyone knows it's a pass play when Reed steps on the field.  O'Connell is going to try and change that, but Reed still doesn't block well.  He's turning into more of a problem then a solution when he turns the offense predictable. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think he's looked good, am really intrigued to see what he'd look like with the real O line, TEs, receivers.  Granted he's playing against the backup defense.  But still, for example that drop by Sprinkle would likely have been a ball caught by Jordan Reed. 

I liked the speed of the post snap process on that throw. Didn’t catch the replay but it looked like his second read. 

That TD throw showed that he is an elite level talent.   Under pressure no room to step up, he laid a dime so perfect that Davis had no choice but to catch it.

Honestly I aint seen such a pretty since Brunell's 2nd TD pass against Dallas.  

26 minutes ago, Koala said:

That TD throw showed that he is an elite level talent.   Under pressure no room to step up, he laid a dime so perfect that Davis had no choice but to catch it.

That **** hit him in the facemask from 55 yards out lol. Crazy

The Cooley quote is wrong, he didn't say "by week 3", he said pick a week, tell everyone in the lockerroom that that's when he's starting.  Get the first two weeks of the season to prep him for how the week-to-week game planning process happens, make sure he understands how quickly install packages happen and change form week to week during the season.  So tell everyone that internally, so the lockerroom isn't surprised or whatever, but if it's delayed a week or two cause he's not quite got the weekly rhythm down yet he's not crucified in the media.

Week 3 is the Bears though.  Week 4 is the Giants with an easier pass rush.

4 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

That makes too much sense, which is why it won’t happen. Your approach involves forward thinking and that’s not a skill possessed in this organization.

That's where you are both wrong. You don't start a guy with the starters just to give him reps with the starters. As for Keenum he clearly isn't ready either. So he needs as many reps as possible with the starters if he's going to be the guy week 1. Either way none of these guys are ready from the looks of things. 

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

The Cooley quote is wrong, he didn't say "by week 3", he said pick a week, tell everyone in the lockerroom that that's when he's starting.  Get the first two weeks of the season to prep him for how the week-to-week game planning process happens, make sure he understands how quickly install packages happen and change form week to week during the season.  So tell everyone that internally, so the lockerroom isn't surprised or whatever, but if it's delayed a week or two cause he's not quite got the weekly rhythm down yet he's not crucified in the media.

Week 3 is the Bears though.  Week 4 is the Giants with an easier pass rush.

Cooley wasn't too kind at the end of the broadcast to Haskins tonight, he doesn't think he's ready or played well.  Maybe he well settle down and it was spur of the moment on his end.  I've seen Cooley fluctuate at times from what he says in the broadcast to later when he does film reviews. 

I thought he again showed flashes, it was an uneven performance.  I was excited about his play in the 2nd quarter, not so much the 2nd half.  He again though had no running game and the blocking looked shaky.  I saw Jay seem a bit salty to Haskins after one of the times he was hit so I gather he called the wrong protection/didn't adjust the protection. 

The Redskins lost a second straight preseason game, 23-13, to the Bengals and there's seemingly no real leader in the quarterback battle. That's not good. Rookie Dwayne Haskins did throw a pretty 55-yard touchdown pass, showing off the arm. He finished seven-of-14 for 114 yards and, this is important, no turnovers. Case Keenum was three-of-seven for 57 yards. He hasn't seized the position. Washington's first defense did a solid job, led by the line. The Redskins have a lot of work to do offensively.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fkeim_john.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
John Keim, ESPN Staff Writer6m ago

Haskins mechanics & accuracy are still raw, but the reads, poise, & arm are exceptional. In the draft thread people struggled with those of us who brought up issues with mechanics & accuracy because of his numbers at OSU ...but in a more advanced setting, with lesser advantages around him, those things show up more clearly. 

DH simply needs a million reps. He has never needed to succeed from anything less than ideal circumstances & you can’t learn how to deal with pressure ... perceived or otherwise ... without a legitimate, constant, threat. I was very encouraged by tonight’s outing, he has bad habits to break, but work ethic will never be an issue, so I’m pretty excited about his chances to make the necessary adjustments in the next year+. His feet, hips, shoulders ... uhg, it can get ugly and lead to atrocious passes... but he’s processing the game pretty cleanly for a young kid... and he is responding very well after being hit or making a bad pass ... I love the guy as a person & see more to believe in as a player.

10 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Haskins mechanics & accuracy are still raw, but the reads, poise, & arm are exceptional. In the draft thread people struggled with those of us who brought up issues with mechanics & accuracy because of his numbers at OSU ...but in a more advanced setting, with lesser advantages around him, those things show up more clearly. 

DH simply needs a million reps. He has never needed to succeed from anything less than ideal circumstances & you can’t learn how to deal with pressure ... perceived or otherwise ... without a legitimate, constant, threat. I was very encouraged by tonight’s outing, he has bad habits to break, but work ethic will never be an issue, so I’m pretty excited about his chances to make the necessary adjustments in the next year+. His feet, hips, shoulders ... uhg, it can get ugly and lead to atrocious passes... but he’s processing the game pretty cleanly for a young kid... and he is responding very well after being hit or making a bad pass ... I love the guy as a person & see more to believe in as a player.

You were on it first way before me but once I got to watching him closely then like you I had concerns.   But yeah i do love the dude's intangibles-work ethic.  He seemed like a really cool guy from what I observed in camp both as to his interaction with his teammates and the fans.  So I think he can hopefully work his way into being a really good QB.   It's clear he wants to be great.  And as Josh Norman likes to say, most players he interacts with aren't per se striving to be great and see it more as a job.

On another note, my favorite 2nd tier QB in the draft, Finley, looked like Dan Marino against our backups.  Not sure if it was him or some of our 2nd-3rd stringers are really really bad. 

I would love Haskins to be the starter week 1. The team probably wouldn't be that worse off with him starting over these other guys. The problem is if he struggles it could screw with his confidence and development. 

The fact that Trent Williams is most likely not going to be there and he's still raw. I think he needs to sit and learn. Let's be clear guys this team isnt winning the super bowl with any of these guys starting this year. It's more important for Haskins to develop. 

9 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You were on it first way before me but once I got to watching him closely then like you I had concerns.   But yeah i do love the dude's intangibles-work ethic.  He seemed like a really cool guy from what I observed in camp both as to his interaction with his teammates and the fans.  So I think he can hopefully work his way into being a really good QB.   It's clear he wants to be great.  And as Josh Norman likes to say, most players he interacts with aren't per se striving to be great and see it more as a job.

On another note, my favorite 2nd tier QB in the draft, Finley, looked like Dan Marino against our backups.  Not sure if it was him or some of our 2nd-3rd stringers are really really bad. 

Back in the draft thread the first Finley game I looked at was BC & I immediately began to gush about the guys development from the previous season... but as I went through more games, the Finley seemed to be a guy who was either hot or cold & I’ve seen too many of those guys to believe they ever stay hot for long. But, when he clicking, it’s beautiful. Finley vs BC may have been more impressive than any game from this draft class other than Kylers best. He looked very comfortable tonight.

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

Back in the draft thread the first Finley game I looked at was BC & I immediately began to gush about the guys development from the previous season... but as I went through more games, the Finley seemed to be a guy who was either hot or cold & I’ve seen too many of those guys to believe they ever stay hot for long. But, when he clicking, it’s beautiful. Finley vs BC may have been more impressive than any game from this draft class other than Kylers best. He looked very comfortable tonight.

It's been awhile so forgot which game was what with him.  Impressive that you can recall.  He's not that athletic but he can be sneaky athletic.  We didn't see that tonight but he can move around the pocket and keep his eyes down field.  He doesn't have a great arm but he did all right last year with some deep balls last year including to our receiver now, Kelvin Harmon.   His deep ball though at times reminded me a bit too much like Colt -- a lot of touch and floating action to them (as opposed to real zip) so wondered if he'd be INT prone on that count in the NFL.  I didn't love Finley.   But the more I watched the 2nd tier guys, the more I thought he's the safest bet among that group.  I figured worse case he'd be a decent backup.  

Archived