Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it time to go Nuclear on Snyder???

Renegade7

Is there strong enough case to get owners to force Snyder to sell the team???  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Is there strong enough case to get owners to force Snyder to sell the team???

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont know
    • I dont care
    • This is so bad we need to move this thread to tailgate to fully discuss it

Not even sure what this looks like as Snyder gets paid regardless.  I suppose we could stop buying redskins gear (I stopped a few years ago).

What I dont actually know is what motivates Snyder.  I "think" i know, but I'd rather have more than a theory to enact some type of action plan.

It doesn't seem to bother him that the team sucks buttermilke year in year out.  It doesnt seem to bother him that he employs "yes men" who tell him what he thinks he needs to hear, never the truth.  It doesnt bother him that the stadium sells massive amounts of tickets to opposing fans.

What truly motivates this guy?  What keeps him up at night?

Found the relevant contact info.  emails are probably the easiest and work fine.   i don't think the content even matter much.  It's all about volume.  As long as you put Dan Snyder as the header and say in the mix in the letter something like this.   I'd presume their main concern would be that there is a permanent-long term impact of Dan's actions on the fan base and it might just keep getting worse.    I purposely keep Bruce out of this or anyone one.  Keeping it on Dan.  I use modifiers to attempt to show I get their limitations to act but please hear me out anyway. 

Something like

I'd like to share this with you because I am not just a Redskins fan but also an NFL fan and it pains me to see my team continue to fall behind the rest of the NFL with no end in sight.    And it's not just the losing with this franchise that gets me but the loss of pride about ownership, culture and the stature of the organization.   

The Redskins were once a proud franchise known for class and competence.  Those qualities have greatly dissipated during Dan's tenure.  And many of my friends and colleagues have checked out on this team. The declining fan base is evidenced by declining fan attendance and TV ratings.   Sadly, I don't really see any end in sight.  In my view, Dan ownership has seemed too driven by cronyism and nostalgia and he seems lost as to how to build a winner. 

I follow other NFL teams and most of them seem much more open, inventive and most importantly give their fans hope for the future.  It's tough to have hope when the owner of your favorite franchise continues to double down on many of the same losing habits for two decades.  And he isn't willing to put himself out there to answer questions from the media or fans to share his vision or answer to anything that's going on with his team.   He seems very detached from his fan base.   

I am writing to you in the off chance that at some point your office intervenes or simply points Dan in the direction of what other successful franchises have done.  I understand it's a long shot for your office to bother with this.  I've gathered that the league only intervenes in extreme situations.  And I presume you don't look at this situation as dire enough to interject and you have much bigger things on your plate.

But I do hope you consider my points because I am sadly confident that over time this franchise will continue to slide in TV ratings and attendance and there will be more articles about what has happened to this once proud franchise.  It seems sadly inevitable.   As a Redskins fan, who converses with thousands of other fans on blogs on social media, I've found that the large majority of fans agree with some variations of the points I made here.   So if you ever wonder down the road what happened to this franchise, I hope some of this letter might be illuminating.  Thank you in advance for you reading this. 

I'd put all three of those people on the email. 

roger.goodell@nfl.com
Maryann.turcke@nfl.com
Brian.rolapp@nfl.com 

NFL Office

345 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10154

212-450-2000

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Roger’s admin will have a fun time deleting all of these. :)

Probably that's why I included the others.  

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

Roger’s admin will have a fun time deleting all of these. :)

The best case scenario for anything like this is for some media outlet to pick up on it -- just like the firebruce movement

11 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The best case scenario for anything like this is for some media outlet to pick up on it -- just like the firebruce movement

Which has accomplished nothing.

———————-

(The following is not related to SIP’s post.)

Look, there are only 3 things which are going to bring about change:

1. Dan has an epiphany that the rot starts at the top, he’s tired of being embarrassed and hated, and hires a new executive and cleans out EVERYBODY and starts over.  Like everybody from Bruce to the janitor, complete reboot with new personnel picked by somebody new who has respect in the league. 

I don't believe Dan is going to have that epiphany because if he was cap of it, it would have happened already.

2. He starts losing money.  Not losing extra profit, but loses money.  

And this can’t happen.  Because of the TV deals and revenue sharing,  the team won’t lose money, so there’s no real economic effect to Snyder whether the team does well or not.  Sure, he’s make more money if the team was good, but he has enough money and still makes money no matter how much suck there is.  

3. He just decided it’s not worth it anymore, he can sell the team for 4 bills, and live comfortably without the aggravation.

The NFL isn’t going to step in.  

Boycotts only work when there is an economic impact.  Unless it leads to the epiphany, which it hasn’t yet.  So I doubt it will. And the NFL prints money for all of its franchises, so there’s no real way to make Snyder “hurt.”

Social media campaigns are pointless.   They’re just ignored because there’s no economic impact. 

Snyder almost has to come to this realization on his own. 

Which basically means...

14794624-5914-4319-A678-2CB2D95046D2.png.39bfbf3880f69be0862365a45041fcfa.png

5 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Even if Snyder gets caught saying the N word with malicious intent, Goodell and the others owners would shield and protect him. 

Well, I wouldn't go that far.

I'm pretty sure if Snyder made racist comments like that, the other owners would throw him under the bus and run for cover.

The idea behind the fan actions isn’t to cost him money because the NFL is a monopoly and that’s just not possible to do given the revenue sharing model. The idea is to embarrass Lord Farquaad to the point that he gets the message and changes his M.O. or moves/sells the team. I know, I know, fat chance.😞 Even so, news stories about him being a pariah, public ridicule, other owners snickering behind his back or even ribbing him about it to his face and so on are all we’ve got. If it doesn’t work, and most likely it won’t, at least we’ll know we tried something and that we at least got under his skin a little.

I definitely support it, but I don't think outsiders telling Dan what he should and shouldn't be doing is going to make any difference. League office, media, etc. can say whatever they want, Dan and the FO will circle the wagons like they always do. Brian Lafemina is proof of that. I very much believe Dan needs to be told face to face by someone he respects inside the organization, someone he idolizes. Players stand a better chance. The dream would be Joe Gibbs, but I he's so far out from the team that I doubt he'd say anything either way. Any team PR man is going to toss it out, any NFL bureaucrat or reporter will get shrugged off.

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, I do remember.  Yeah @thesubmittedone  participated, too.   We ironically wrote to Bruce among other things and I got an email response from Bruce.  Scot was hired some after.  

Not saying it happened because of what we did.  But from what I've seen in my work, everything piles on and works together.  So lets say for example there are some people in the league office who are genuinely concerned about the franchise already as the WP purports and people don't show up to games and the TV ratings keep declining and so on and so forth -- it all adds up typically.

I'll play with a letter.  The key from my experience is don't make it totally disrespectful and full of venom -- instead keep it focused.    Do I think some letters can get Dan removed?  Nope.  But I do think we'd have a better shot at getting his attention. 

Yep, same thing with court reports and grant writing.  Write with purpose, not emotion.  Anything that goes to the NFL and ends up on any desk, or just repeatedly from the mail room, is a success.  

And to people who think it won't matter, nobody thinks it will matter, which is why nobody does anything, which is why when you DO actually do something, it stands out.

Let's get change going.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Probably that's why I included the others.  

Should we be cc'ing local and national media outlets as well like Washington Post and ESPN?  I believe theres some truth we need the local sports folks to get in on this, even better in the A section then just the front page of the sports section, right?

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Social media campaigns are pointless.   They’re just ignored because there’s no economic impact. 

There is a reasons why outfits pay thousands of dollars to mount social media campaigns and its not because they are pointless.  But they are pointless typically if the idea is instant results.  

The thing about any type of effort to get a public figure to change -- typically requires a combination of things.  And just because one thing doesn't get instant results doesn't mean you abandon ship.  The biggest thing about making it happen is to keep chipping away.  And throw the whole kitchen sink at it. 

If most fans think that any effort is pointless -- they end up right because its a self fulfilling prophecy to do nothing and then nothing happens.   

But yeah its rare for one thing to do it.  And it's a war of attrition typically as opposed to there being a silver bullet.  Heck not buying Redskins goods or going to games is also an attrition type move.  One game or even one season probably doesn't do it.  

Lets take the firebruce movement.  Just because it doesn't have the effect in season 1 doesn't make it meaningless.  If they have another go of it, it should have a stronger impact.  The first attempt will typically have a pile on effect. 

A beat reporter or two (I know Sheehan and Hoffman among them) said that Bruce helped brush off that movement by saying it was based on unique frustration about last season.  So if the same people did it again, it should come off stronger because Bruce can't use the same excuse this time perhaps and maybe Dan thinks hey these frustrated fans aren't going to stop.  Not that my point here has anything to do with Bruce specifically but just saying you often need to pile on and stay persistent - if you just do it and then go away without following up and are disappointed that it didn't happen then you will likely always be disappointed. 

As for Dan specifically, you got me what moves him.  But there is a reason why most paid outfits who try to influence a public figure go at it on multiple fronts including social media.  It's somewhat of a death by thousand cuts approach.  It doesn't always work.  But it won't work for sure if you don't try.

My point was Dan isn't to get him to sell the team.  I don't expect that to happen.  My point is to break that insulation some.  Maybe its futile but I think for those frustrated its worth a shot.  Instead of writing long posts to each other about Dan which has no shot to mean anything -- why not throw some Hail Marys at it that at least has a fighting shot to mean something even if its small or just part of a WP story saying the league has been besieged.  If something major like 2000 of us did, I got no doubt it would get some notice.  Though I doubt that many do it.   

39 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Should we be cc'ing local and national media outlets as well like Washington Post and ESPN?  I believe theres some truth we need the local sports folks to get in on this, even better in the A section then just the front page of the sports section, right?

Yeah that's a great idea. 

@Voice_of_Reason you disappoint me. 

I challenge you to write a letter first then say it wont work, not just come here and try and say we're wasting our time.  At minimum saying why bother is not helping convincing people to try, should we jus watch this happen?  20 years is long enough, we know where this is going, we really just going to watch it happen and just comment on it?

Maybe the next level is trying to get the stadium down to as empty as possible, tv ratings as low as possible, or blocking new stadium deals, but based on the psychology of this fool forcing him into the national conversation may force a change even if it doesnt mean selling the team.

At minimum we as a fan base need to stop his ability to hide from what hes doing.  If we can at least change the national conversation towards him instead of his scapegoats, that by itself may be enough to get this going in a different direction. 

56 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I definitely support it, but I don't think outsiders telling Dan what he should and shouldn't be doing is going to make any difference. League office, media, etc. can say whatever they want, Dan and the FO will circle the wagons like they always do. Brian Lafemina is proof of that. I very much believe Dan needs to be told face to face by someone he respects inside the organization, someone he idolizes. Players stand a better chance. The dream would be Joe Gibbs, but I he's so far out from the team that I doubt he'd say anything either way. Any team PR man is going to toss it out, any NFL bureaucrat or reporter will get shrugged off.

I imagine somebody telling Dan Snyder to his face what he doesn’t want to hear immediately gets the Mustafa treatment.  Dr. Evil pushes a single button & BOOM 💥 

1A450996-CA29-4D63-BAFF-3B60291A8A7E.gif

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If I recall it was Czaben who brought up today that the stadium might be the X factor.  He thinks Dan being so toxic that he can't secure a stadium maybe would be an impetus to sell the team.  He thinks its a long shot but might be the only shot. 

This is something that I think should be a separate thread in the tailgate, but I absolutely agree people should calling their representatives about blocking any government money for his new stadium, where ever he wants to put it. 

Maryland got traction on that in PG, the rumor is of push back in Virginia lately after DC panicked thinking hed go to NOVA instead. He doesnt deserve a dime of our help, him coming out of pocket for a new stadium should get his attention. 

There is concern he'll stick to his guns while FedEx starts to look like RFK, but in general I'm sick of giving owners money to build stadiums when they are already making billions of dollars.

My thoughts on snyder is that he doesn't like being embarrassed nationally and he doesnt want to lose money. 

His franchise has gone up in value significantly since he bought the team. 

Stop going to games and buying anything redskins related.

It will embarass him nationally and eventually drop the value of the franchise. This is and has always been the answer of how to deal with snyder. 

Sending cute letters to the NFL front office is a waste of time. They are never going to make snyder give up the franchise without legal reasoning. He hurt my feelings and the franchise has been bad is not a good reason. 

I voted no for reasons already stated above: there have been plenty of inept owners, just being a terrible owner isn't enough to be thrown out of the NFL.  Owners are already making money hand over fist, a down DC market isn't going to keep them up at night.  And they probably welcome the competitive advantage.

My only hope is that empty stadiums and fan apathy become such an embarrassment for him, he decides to move on with his life and sell. But I'm not holding my breath.

I would think there is inherent value in  being the next owner to purchase the franchise.  I still think there is great desire to get behind the Redskins, they just don’t do anything for folks to get behind.  I’d imagine the guy to buy from Dan would be seen as a savior and invigorate the fan base just by not being Dan.

I’m getting all hot and bothered just thinking about it.

Archived